- Moreland Councillor linked to Calabrian mafia
- Flying footballer leads teams to victory
- A new 'super square' by the Yarra
- Video: Late-night drone mesmerises Melburnians
- 'Why didn't we let the dangerous man leave?'
- AFL to review Multicultural Cup
- Calls to explore cannabis as psychosis aid
- 'It's as simple as good ingredients'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Dale on A new 'super square' by the Yarra Another Election promise. more
- Andrew on A new 'super square' by the Yarra As far as spending government money on Melbourne eyesores, the rail lines behind Federation Square largely hidden from view ... more
- Lesley Durham on AFL to review Multicultural Cup The AFL is a bunch of politically correct, meddling do gooders. This is segregation and rather than promoting inclusion, ... more
- Kris on AFL to review Multicultural Cup Its ridiculous that an aussie is pushed aside for thinking this is wrong yet if we were to exclude any other race/religon ... more
- Sinbad on AFL to review Multicultural Cup This really smacks of double standards from the newest left wing entity which used to be called the AFL. 'Fonzie' ... more
- simone on AFL to review Multicultural Cup So Australian is no longer a culture. Onya AFL. Way to promote diversity and racism. more
- Aria Judilla on AFL to review Multicultural Cup Kid, you'll do much better in life if you're kept away from this obscenely violent AFL football culture. Consider it a ... more
- Michael McCarthy on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Black more
- Sue Moyle on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver Cabs for Melbourne more
- Manda on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Black! Most people recognise London taxis already, so keep them easily identifiable. more
- Shaz the all rounder on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver- looks a bit more sophisisticated more
- Claire on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver = classy more
- Alison on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... white more
- alison tuxworth on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White more
- Shawn on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... We're in Melbourne...Black is the new Black! more
- Sal J on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver 'cos if you miss washing it, it'll still look clean enough whereas black shows up dirt too easily more
- Kath on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver always looks clean more
- Heather on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White London Cabs is my choiceHowever, if they have to be Black withthe silver roof, or other black and silver combination ... more
- Clorinda on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White, looks smart will look cleaner more
- Vic on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White for summer and visibility safety more
Essendon dinner 'prank' victim tells of Facebook apology
One of the women from whom two Essendon players attempted to scam a free meal described their behaviour as 'dumb'.
Ashley also told 3AW Breakfast of the pair's concocted identity and a Facebook apology.
This morning's interview came after the Rumour File revealed the two Bombers left Albert Park restaurant Basilico without paying, telling staff two women they had been speaking to would pay the bill for them.
"They shuffled around and pretended they were going to be ordering desert," Ashley told Ross and John of the players' approach. "And (they) ended up staying and moving their table next to ours."
"They first introduced themselves as Sonny and Harvey.
"One said he was studying to be a vet - he sought of chuckled through that. And the other one said he was a construction worker.
"The wait staff came up and said 'did you transfer those boys' bill onto yours?', and we said 'absolutely not'."
Ashley said the women and restaurant staff were shocked.
"Obviously they did it to try to be a bit cheeky and obviously thought it was hilarious," she said.
"If it was a joke on us they probably should have told the restaurant - the staff were pretty shocked by it as well."
She said a player later sent the women a Facebook message, saying 'I hope you girls didn't get in too much trouble, it was just a prank on you'.
"I think it was just a bit dumb," Ashley said. "I don't know what they were thinking."
Ross offered Ashley a Pancake Parlour voucher: "I might forward that to Essendon," she said. "Maybe they need a free meal."
Basilico did not charge the women for the meals.
Essendon coach Mark Thompson later told Sports Today the players have now paid the bill.
"The boys go to that restaurant quite often and they knew the owner," he said.
Essendon has earlier dismissed the incident as a "silly but harmless" prank.
-with Fenella Wagener
They do a lovely Peptide salad there.Jason Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 5:14 PM
it's about time they grew up and started acting their age !!...are they kids or adults. Sheer arrogance !!tb Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 5:02 PM
When will some of these idiots start growing up?Steve Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 4:26 PM
News for Mark Thompson if you drive off without paying for petrol it's theft. If you leave a restaurant without paying it's theft. Essendon employee's seem as badly behaved as St Kilda.Sue Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 3:03 PM
Rita?Rita? You say this worse than what the Catholic Church has done,???? Get a life "MORON".ian Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 12:52 PM
If you or I conducted ourselves in a similar manner, the police would have been called. Why not this time, I for one are weary of one rule for them and one rule for us but having said that we would have better sense not to do such a silly childish thing. Little boys with too much time on there hands and too much moneyNoel Goodear Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 11:16 AM