- Traders torn on Brunswick St car ban plan
- 2014 Pancake Parlour challenge: Ross and John become cabbies
- 3AW caller prevents car-train smash
- Cushla's marquee day
- Ross and John get cheesy
- How to make Melbourne better
- The thief who didn't know when to quit
- Too many raiders? That's ridiculous
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kate on Traders torn on Brunswick St car ban ... So stop cars travelling down Brunswick Street. Trade will be cut and the surrounding streets inundated. They are cutting ... more
- Sue on Cushla's marquee day Cushla, you are a deadset legend. more
- Alexis Michael on 3AW caller prevents car-train smash Wondering if the burnt out Peugeot in Diggers Rest has some connection to the abandoned 4WD on the Geelong train line at ... more
- Hendrik on How to make Melbourne better Melbourne really needs higher density living. The reason why the housing and public transport situation is so bad is exactly ... more
- Milton on How to make Melbourne better Brent:That may be why Vancouver is runner-up? more
- IBARKER on 'Cage fighting is safer' Animals Fighting Animals more
- Belinda on 'Cage fighting is safer' You have got to be joking don't you?What pleasure do you get out of watching someone get bashed.Bloody barbaric,stupid, ... more
- MICHAEL KENNA on 'Cage fighting is safer' MMA is a discipline that is already legal and permitted by state legislation.The problem is the fact that a boxing ring is ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Cage fighting is safer' good old 'bling bling' Lay....living in the past, as usualall he has to do is enforce the law NOT giving us his opinion. more
- poppitt on 'Cage fighting is safer' Labour has gone mad. Is this to get the votes of the young men? Really. This is not a sport. The last thing we need is more ... more
- Stephen on Whitlam home to be demolished It's an ex-PM's house! really does it matter? You'll be protecting Julia's house down at Altona next!! more
- Mark on Foreign investors flock to Melbourne The FIRB should be renamed to FARB the foreign acquisition review board more
- Ray on How to NOT define shirtfront I just came here to read the comments more
- Catherine on How to NOT define shirtfront People seem to lack insight about this. Although Abbott is one of my least favourite politicians, people should think about ... more
- Jan on How to NOT define shirtfront Putin should be shirtfronted. more
- Jamie on How to NOT define shirtfront Benny says in his comment "you just need to cop stuff on the chin and move on". Someone needs to shirtfront you for making ... more
- IBARKER on The eyes don't work! Typical bike rider. more
- Stephen Devereux on How to NOT define shirtfront would have been simpler to deny Putin a visa more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront putin by a ko easy more
- Hooksy of the Bush on The eyes don't work! Sorry Chris, it is done up. It's just not done up tight enough. more
Essendon dinner 'prank' victim tells of Facebook apology
One of the women from whom two Essendon players attempted to scam a free meal described their behaviour as 'dumb'.
Ashley also told 3AW Breakfast of the pair's concocted identity and a Facebook apology.
This morning's interview came after the Rumour File revealed the two Bombers left Albert Park restaurant Basilico without paying, telling staff two women they had been speaking to would pay the bill for them.
"They shuffled around and pretended they were going to be ordering desert," Ashley told Ross and John of the players' approach. "And (they) ended up staying and moving their table next to ours."
"They first introduced themselves as Sonny and Harvey.
"One said he was studying to be a vet - he sought of chuckled through that. And the other one said he was a construction worker.
"The wait staff came up and said 'did you transfer those boys' bill onto yours?', and we said 'absolutely not'."
Ashley said the women and restaurant staff were shocked.
"Obviously they did it to try to be a bit cheeky and obviously thought it was hilarious," she said.
"If it was a joke on us they probably should have told the restaurant - the staff were pretty shocked by it as well."
She said a player later sent the women a Facebook message, saying 'I hope you girls didn't get in too much trouble, it was just a prank on you'.
"I think it was just a bit dumb," Ashley said. "I don't know what they were thinking."
Ross offered Ashley a Pancake Parlour voucher: "I might forward that to Essendon," she said. "Maybe they need a free meal."
Basilico did not charge the women for the meals.
Essendon coach Mark Thompson later told Sports Today the players have now paid the bill.
"The boys go to that restaurant quite often and they knew the owner," he said.
Essendon has earlier dismissed the incident as a "silly but harmless" prank.
-with Fenella Wagener
They do a lovely Peptide salad there.Jason Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 5:14 PM
it's about time they grew up and started acting their age !!...are they kids or adults. Sheer arrogance !!tb Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 5:02 PM
When will some of these idiots start growing up?Steve Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 4:26 PM
News for Mark Thompson if you drive off without paying for petrol it's theft. If you leave a restaurant without paying it's theft. Essendon employee's seem as badly behaved as St Kilda.Sue Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 3:03 PM
Rita?Rita? You say this worse than what the Catholic Church has done,???? Get a life "MORON".ian Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 12:52 PM
If you or I conducted ourselves in a similar manner, the police would have been called. Why not this time, I for one are weary of one rule for them and one rule for us but having said that we would have better sense not to do such a silly childish thing. Little boys with too much time on there hands and too much moneyNoel Goodear Thursday 14 November, 2013 - 11:16 AM