- Bruce McAvaney's good, isn't he?
- Banned dog laws costing councils
- Seoul Seoul, food with soul: Tregan reviews for 3AW Breakfast
- Chocolate company's Easter obstacle
- AC/DC confirms Malcolm Young illness
- Derrinallum bomb blast: The Colonel's obsession
- When and where: Melbourne's lunar eclipse
- Touching cover for Chrissy
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mandi on Banned dog laws costing councils Monash council only have themselves to blame for stupidly taking on the seizure of a dog that they presumed was vicious when ... more
- Dame Mylene on Late-night shopping for Melbourne It's been legal to open shops late since John Cain. JB was open until 10PM every night until it stopped being profitable. I ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Late-night shopping for Melbourne There is no need to open stores later in the city, the Mayor is out of touch. JB Hi Fi is already open til 9PM weekdays, ... more
- ian on Late-night shopping for Melbourne Gee I feel sorry tor the employees and owners,what tea at 8pm,???? No putting the kids to bed.This is a joke. more
- Saff on Bruce McAvaney's good, isn't he? I agree! He is so talented! more
- Dame Mylene on Sun silenced on 'Lawyer X' Hopefully the producers of Underbelly don't hear about this. That show ran out of goodwill 4 years ago. Underbelly: Lawyer X ... more
- jgl Melb on Sun silenced on 'Lawyer X' Anyone who doesn't know the identity of this,so called,lawyer X has been living in a cave for the last 10 odd years. more
- Gloss on Sun silenced on 'Lawyer X' The Herald Sun obviously know the identity of Lawyer X, how would they feel if his/her name is 'leaked' and he/she is ... more
- Aria Judilla on Scrap spring for sprinter and sprummer: ... Why do we need to label certain times of the year spring or summer or winter or spring anyway? Of what benefit is it? more
- mark on Scrap spring for sprinter and sprummer: ... of course its april the 1st more
- Dame Mylene on Scrap spring for sprinter and sprummer: ... I'm with Tony Abbott. Who needs CSIRO scientists when you've got Dorothea Mackellar (of drought and flooding rains), Neil ... more
- Willow on Bruce McAvaney's good, isn't he? I love Bruces' commentary and the informed info he gives along the way. more
- Gloria on Scrap spring for sprinter and sprummer: ... I have been saying all along that it is not Global Warming we are experiencing, it is Climate Change. I am 74 and the ... more
- Phillip Molly Malone on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... I would be interested how many of the commenters here have kids going through this! I umpired my sons under 10s game and ... more
- Shane W on Bruce McAvaney's good, isn't he? Most unbiased commentator around. Keep it up Bruce. more
- Katie Rantall on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... I'm a tad confused I agree with all the comments Life is all bout winners, losers, perseverence, get knocked down U get back ... more
- Dame Mylene on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... People have to realise there's winners and losers in society. If we can drum it into them before they get to primary school ... more
- Susan on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... They need to do something as numbers are falling every year in junior footy, while Soccer numbers are rising. It's very ... more
- David Tait on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... If parents don't want the kids to win or lose, perhaps riding a bike would be better. The majority of all games are ... more
- Willow on Footy shake-up to change 'win-lose' ... What incentive does this give the kids to 'play to win' as there are no winners. They don't have to put all their efforts in ... more
Giaan Rooney defends Leisel Jones from overweight allegations
Former Olympic swimmer Giaan Rooney believes allegations that coaches are "privately frustrated" at the condition of Olympic veteran Leisel Jones, are "made up".
Photo: Leisel Jones and Kenrick Monk on the pooldeck yesterday. (Reuters)
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Giaan Rooney defended Leisel Jones after the Herald Sun published a two-page spread questioning her condition, which Ross Stevenson said was effectively alleging Leisel Jones was overweight.
"She wouldn't be here in London if coaches were worried about how she was going to perform. That's the bottom line," she said.
Anyone commenting on Leisel's weight 3 days out from Olympics should be ashamed. Should be celebrating our athletes not pulling them down.— Giaan Rooney (@GiaanRooney) July 24, 2012
"She's done the work to get here, and she deserves the same right as everyone else to be judged on her performance and her performance alone."
Neil Mitchell's Olympic swimming commentator, former Olympian Matt Welsh said the only positive was that it was unlikely Liesel would see the articles, with the team avoiding the media in the Olympics.
"Hopefully this hasn't got back to Leisel, but there's really no positive to it," he said.
Matt Welsh said Liesel was probably among the best, if not the best breastroker of all time.
"Liesel's never been a stick-thin swimmer. Her strength is her stroke," he said. "She's got an amazing kick, an amazing ability to hold on in a race."
Giaan Rooney said she was embarrassed to be a member of the media when this type of story was being publishing in the Olympic lead-up. She said the photos published in the Herald Sun were taken from unflattering angles.
While the Herald Sun claims "coaches are privately frustrated at her condition", The Age alleges Jones is not taking the games as seriously as she has in her previous three Olympics.
Page 8 & 9 of this morning's Herald Sun.
"Leisel never put herself up there as the super slim, incredibly cut athlete, she's never had that body shape," she said.
"I don't think her physique has changed at all. She's always had an unusual body shape in terms of what the other swimmers look like, but then we don't have a typical body shape as swimmers anymore."
LISTEN: Giaan Rooney speaks with Ross and John:
too fat too slow,waste of taxpayers money..garry Friday 3 August, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Oops @jgl, how naive of me.Willow Friday 27 July, 2012 - 9:19 PM
she was always a wonderful swimmer, but now she looks hotter than ever. love her thighs.phil Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 9:06 PM
@Willow:Judging by the tenor of your last didactic post you've obviously never heard of the colloquialism;Someone's having a lend.jgl Melb Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 1:46 PM
@jgl, I did say not all. Swimmers and athletes start training and competing at a very early age. I doubt if shooters would need to muscle up as much and they don't need to wear next to nothing and be in water where accidental discharge would be obvious, sorry don't know how else to say it.Willow Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 10:36 PM
First Gillard lectures the world on economic reforms and now Carr is lecturing America on the same issue. These political also-rans are writing cheques with their ego that their status and achievement simply cannot cash. They are humiliating Australia. There are an immeasurably more variables to both issues and neither individual has addressed any issue that not only every politician is aware of but the vast majority of citizens are aware of. They have achieved absolutely nothing in this arena beyond massively increasing taxes and cost of living and also selling vast swathes of Australian assets. That is not an achievement. That is a disgrace. The position of foreign minister of Australia has become little more than an American representative that is paid by Australian citizens. Some of you would have been to quality hotels that offer a motorised shoe polishing machine in their rooms. That is essentially what Rudd was. Obama would put his foot in Rudd and Rudd would clean the cheese from Obamas toes. Carr does not bring on such a cringe emotion as Rudd did but he is absolutely nothing on the international political scene. If he was more honest about issues such as the recent incident of an Australian solicitor then he could be tolerated. Now this imbecile is suggesting we should be more flexible, more accommodating and more supportive of Indonesia. We should eliminate Indonesia as our greatest military threat. Only a fool placates terrorists or parties that intimidate. Indonesia is nothing. Take them out of the picture. That would take 30 days and less than $500M. We cant afford to have any more parasites in the political arena. The military and economic security of our nation is swinging in the wind.Political Succubus Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 5:48 PM