- Royal prank DJ quits radio
- New Royal Children's Hospital 'too small'
- Trucks explode in fiery collision
- Australian students falling behind global counterparts
- Rolling Stones add five concert dates to Australia tour
- TAC launches Safer P Platers campaign
- Upset Bieber fans want their money back
- Lollipop lady hit by car, denied compensation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Lisa on 2013 Pancake Parlour Challenge Hugh is gorgeous!!!! more
- Jim on New Royal Children's Hospital 'too ... What has happened to the old hospital? Can't it still be used to treat patients more
- Dan from Wheelers Hill on Trucks explode in fiery collision I love it when all of these anti-truck nutters come out and start bagging the entire industry just because they perceive ... more
- mylene on New Royal Children's Hospital 'too ... In opposition Ted said it was too small but he still stood next to the Queen when she opened it. more
- Christine on New Royal Children's Hospital 'too ... What incompetent fools were in charge of this project? more
- Damien Tyl on Trucks explode in fiery collision Quick judgement by a pack of morons that hav no road sense whatsoever to even comment the way u hav on such a tragedy u ... more
- Garry on New Royal Children's Hospital 'too ... When this New Hospital was being built, I am sure I remember Neilo having a story that the new U Beaut hospital was going to ... more
- tony elsworthy on Trucks explode in fiery collision well I drove this highway for 10 yrs most of it was over night express so wot half of yous gona call me a cowboy coz I did ... more
- Craig on Rolling Stones add five concert dates ... Dont know how i am going to afford it, but i wont miss the Stones for anything. Saw them in 95, 03 & 06. They actually get ... more
- Craig on Trucks explode in fiery collision Time the state/Federal Government got off their ass and spent some money and make this a divided road...they have it...stop ... more
- Kenny Moore on Trucks explode in fiery collision All I really have to say is all the do gooders that are canning truck drivers , how about they get actual fact before ... more
- DORIS on Trucks explode in fiery collision Is is sad to hear. On all negative comments about the truck drivers remember who put the food in the supermarkets! About ... more
- wayne on Trucks explode in fiery collision roger, why didn't you slow down a little when you can plainly see that the truck is coming up to pass in the overtaking ... more
- Dave From Great Western on Trucks explode in fiery collision This latest accident occurred just a couple of Km's from my town where more than 3000 trucks pass through,each day on the ... more
- Sean on Trucks explode in fiery collision I am sick and tired of seeing a blame game on truck drivers.As soon as there is a report of an incident it is always the ... more
- Denise Butler on Trucks explode in fiery collision I travel this road without any problems with trucki. In fact when I come up behind a truck I usually stay behind the, ... more
- Lukey J on Trucks explode in fiery collision Roger, I myself drive trucks for a living. I'm all for everyone to have the right to one's opinion. But there are some bad ... more
- Michael Real on Trucks explode in fiery collision I agree with Roger's comments. Out on the Princes Freeway east of Melb you are tailgated, intimidated and overtaken by ... more
- Jed Maxwell on Trucks explode in fiery collision I travelled that area of Victoria for a few weeks last month. Many of the truck drivers apper to be complete nutters, ... more
- Tristan on Trucks explode in fiery collision Roger with all due respect a I'm speaking for most truck drivers not all because there are some bad ones . Most car speedos ... more
Giaan Rooney defends Leisel Jones from overweight allegations
Former Olympic swimmer Giaan Rooney believes allegations that coaches are "privately frustrated" at the condition of Olympic veteran Leisel Jones, are "made up".
Photo: Leisel Jones and Kenrick Monk on the pooldeck yesterday. (Reuters)
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Giaan Rooney defended Leisel Jones after the Herald Sun published a two-page spread questioning her condition, which Ross Stevenson said was effectively alleging Leisel Jones was overweight.
"She wouldn't be here in London if coaches were worried about how she was going to perform. That's the bottom line," she said.
Anyone commenting on Leisel's weight 3 days out from Olympics should be ashamed. Should be celebrating our athletes not pulling them down.— Giaan Rooney (@GiaanRooney) July 24, 2012
"She's done the work to get here, and she deserves the same right as everyone else to be judged on her performance and her performance alone."
Neil Mitchell's Olympic swimming commentator, former Olympian Matt Welsh said the only positive was that it was unlikely Liesel would see the articles, with the team avoiding the media in the Olympics.
"Hopefully this hasn't got back to Leisel, but there's really no positive to it," he said.
Matt Welsh said Liesel was probably among the best, if not the best breastroker of all time.
"Liesel's never been a stick-thin swimmer. Her strength is her stroke," he said. "She's got an amazing kick, an amazing ability to hold on in a race."
Giaan Rooney said she was embarrassed to be a member of the media when this type of story was being publishing in the Olympic lead-up. She said the photos published in the Herald Sun were taken from unflattering angles.
While the Herald Sun claims "coaches are privately frustrated at her condition", The Age alleges Jones is not taking the games as seriously as she has in her previous three Olympics.
Page 8 & 9 of this morning's Herald Sun.
"Leisel never put herself up there as the super slim, incredibly cut athlete, she's never had that body shape," she said.
"I don't think her physique has changed at all. She's always had an unusual body shape in terms of what the other swimmers look like, but then we don't have a typical body shape as swimmers anymore."
LISTEN: Giaan Rooney speaks with Ross and John:
too fat too slow,waste of taxpayers money..garry Friday 3 August, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Oops @jgl, how naive of me.Willow Friday 27 July, 2012 - 9:19 PM
she was always a wonderful swimmer, but now she looks hotter than ever. love her thighs.phil Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 9:06 PM
@Willow:Judging by the tenor of your last didactic post you've obviously never heard of the colloquialism;Someone's having a lend.jgl Melb Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 1:46 PM
@jgl, I did say not all. Swimmers and athletes start training and competing at a very early age. I doubt if shooters would need to muscle up as much and they don't need to wear next to nothing and be in water where accidental discharge would be obvious, sorry don't know how else to say it.Willow Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 10:36 PM
First Gillard lectures the world on economic reforms and now Carr is lecturing America on the same issue. These political also-rans are writing cheques with their ego that their status and achievement simply cannot cash. They are humiliating Australia. There are an immeasurably more variables to both issues and neither individual has addressed any issue that not only every politician is aware of but the vast majority of citizens are aware of. They have achieved absolutely nothing in this arena beyond massively increasing taxes and cost of living and also selling vast swathes of Australian assets. That is not an achievement. That is a disgrace. The position of foreign minister of Australia has become little more than an American representative that is paid by Australian citizens. Some of you would have been to quality hotels that offer a motorised shoe polishing machine in their rooms. That is essentially what Rudd was. Obama would put his foot in Rudd and Rudd would clean the cheese from Obamas toes. Carr does not bring on such a cringe emotion as Rudd did but he is absolutely nothing on the international political scene. If he was more honest about issues such as the recent incident of an Australian solicitor then he could be tolerated. Now this imbecile is suggesting we should be more flexible, more accommodating and more supportive of Indonesia. We should eliminate Indonesia as our greatest military threat. Only a fool placates terrorists or parties that intimidate. Indonesia is nothing. Take them out of the picture. That would take 30 days and less than $500M. We cant afford to have any more parasites in the political arena. The military and economic security of our nation is swinging in the wind.Political Succubus Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 5:48 PM