- Bags of Rock join 3AW Breakfast in Glasgow
- Pedestrians urged to unplug in CBD
- Piggery Cafe at Burnham Beeches
- Is this Myer's most loyal employee?
- Ross and John at the Robert Burns Hotel
- Fad to famish: Australia running out of kale
- 'Rational people' will still fly with Malaysia
- Hird's back and raring to go
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Nick on Pedestrians urged to unplug in CBD First ban smoking in the CBD, then ban headphones in the CBD, soon start banning people coming into the CBD. more
- Jed Maxwell on Pedestrians urged to unplug in CBD I certainly won't be 'unplugging' my headphones in the CBD. Walking around with headphones on means I don't have to listen ... more
- Gloria on Is this Myer's most loyal employee? Good on you Sue. I worked in an Administration job but got retrenched at 71, 3 years ago and hate being a pensioner, so keep ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Is this Myer's most loyal employee? I know this lady she is 89 years old. I wish I can still be working at this age. more
- Gary on $8K and free rent for 101-year-old Ivy ... What a nice gesture but after all the Government is only buying votes. With a State election coming up they need all the ... more
- ian on Retired couple take on graffiti Great work. more
- A Falkingham on Retired couple take on graffiti Stupid old fools. more
- Peggy on $8K and free rent for 101-year-old Ivy ... Congratulations to Ms Laver.The changes in the world she has seen and been a part of is so impressive.I wonder if smoking ... more
- Ken of Euroa on Retired couple take on graffiti Please dont call then "Street Artists" They are vandals plain and simple more
- Graham on Rumour File: Is Tom Jones coming to the ... It's not unusual. more
- bushiepete on Rumour File: Is Tom Jones coming to the ... I just hope he will be as good as lionel Ritchie was. he did rock the g for all ages. more
- PJ on Generosity 'entrenching' homelessness Surely this principle applies to Benefits and Social Housing.Do people accept help as a life choice? Are we entrenching ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Generosity 'entrenching' homelessness The Salvation Army should recall what Jesus said: that people should give to the poor directly. ...go sell what you possess ... more
- Lukew on 'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam ... Who in their right mind would complain about this? What drives people to want to make someone else's life worse? more
- Auguste Rodin on 'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam ... If nothing is actionable in the video, the Gestapo have no right to demand its removal. Go and catch some real criminals!!! more
- Gloss on Foreign investors not to blame Bulltish!!!!!! more
- James on Foreign investors not to blame Well at least Real Estate agents and investors can finally stop boasting the wide held belief that "property doubles every 7 ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam ... I can't believe how people actually believe that Sam was driving without his hands on the steering wheel. Everyone knows ... more
- jgl Melb on 'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam ... "Took his hands off the wheel"And we all know where he put them,or at least one of them. more
- tracy on 'Inconclusive': Police investigate Sam ... Bet a lot of the people complaining have not signed the sex offender register. Easier to whinge and whine about Sam Newman ... more
Giaan Rooney defends Leisel Jones from overweight allegations
Former Olympic swimmer Giaan Rooney believes allegations that coaches are "privately frustrated" at the condition of Olympic veteran Leisel Jones, are "made up".
Photo: Leisel Jones and Kenrick Monk on the pooldeck yesterday. (Reuters)
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Giaan Rooney defended Leisel Jones after the Herald Sun published a two-page spread questioning her condition, which Ross Stevenson said was effectively alleging Leisel Jones was overweight.
"She wouldn't be here in London if coaches were worried about how she was going to perform. That's the bottom line," she said.
Anyone commenting on Leisel's weight 3 days out from Olympics should be ashamed. Should be celebrating our athletes not pulling them down.— Giaan Rooney (@GiaanRooney) July 24, 2012
"She's done the work to get here, and she deserves the same right as everyone else to be judged on her performance and her performance alone."
Neil Mitchell's Olympic swimming commentator, former Olympian Matt Welsh said the only positive was that it was unlikely Liesel would see the articles, with the team avoiding the media in the Olympics.
"Hopefully this hasn't got back to Leisel, but there's really no positive to it," he said.
Matt Welsh said Liesel was probably among the best, if not the best breastroker of all time.
"Liesel's never been a stick-thin swimmer. Her strength is her stroke," he said. "She's got an amazing kick, an amazing ability to hold on in a race."
Giaan Rooney said she was embarrassed to be a member of the media when this type of story was being publishing in the Olympic lead-up. She said the photos published in the Herald Sun were taken from unflattering angles.
While the Herald Sun claims "coaches are privately frustrated at her condition", The Age alleges Jones is not taking the games as seriously as she has in her previous three Olympics.
Page 8 & 9 of this morning's Herald Sun.
"Leisel never put herself up there as the super slim, incredibly cut athlete, she's never had that body shape," she said.
"I don't think her physique has changed at all. She's always had an unusual body shape in terms of what the other swimmers look like, but then we don't have a typical body shape as swimmers anymore."
LISTEN: Giaan Rooney speaks with Ross and John:
too fat too slow,waste of taxpayers money..garry Friday 3 August, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Oops @jgl, how naive of me.Willow Friday 27 July, 2012 - 9:19 PM
she was always a wonderful swimmer, but now she looks hotter than ever. love her thighs.phil Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 9:06 PM
@Willow:Judging by the tenor of your last didactic post you've obviously never heard of the colloquialism;Someone's having a lend.jgl Melb Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 1:46 PM
@jgl, I did say not all. Swimmers and athletes start training and competing at a very early age. I doubt if shooters would need to muscle up as much and they don't need to wear next to nothing and be in water where accidental discharge would be obvious, sorry don't know how else to say it.Willow Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 10:36 PM
First Gillard lectures the world on economic reforms and now Carr is lecturing America on the same issue. These political also-rans are writing cheques with their ego that their status and achievement simply cannot cash. They are humiliating Australia. There are an immeasurably more variables to both issues and neither individual has addressed any issue that not only every politician is aware of but the vast majority of citizens are aware of. They have achieved absolutely nothing in this arena beyond massively increasing taxes and cost of living and also selling vast swathes of Australian assets. That is not an achievement. That is a disgrace. The position of foreign minister of Australia has become little more than an American representative that is paid by Australian citizens. Some of you would have been to quality hotels that offer a motorised shoe polishing machine in their rooms. That is essentially what Rudd was. Obama would put his foot in Rudd and Rudd would clean the cheese from Obamas toes. Carr does not bring on such a cringe emotion as Rudd did but he is absolutely nothing on the international political scene. If he was more honest about issues such as the recent incident of an Australian solicitor then he could be tolerated. Now this imbecile is suggesting we should be more flexible, more accommodating and more supportive of Indonesia. We should eliminate Indonesia as our greatest military threat. Only a fool placates terrorists or parties that intimidate. Indonesia is nothing. Take them out of the picture. That would take 30 days and less than $500M. We cant afford to have any more parasites in the political arena. The military and economic security of our nation is swinging in the wind.Political Succubus Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 5:48 PM