- Ross and John incredulous at Justin Bieber's 'Baby' making music history
- Ross and John’s list of beautiful places in Australia that no one has ever heard of
- Ross and John's gastronomical Footscray tour
- Why is there no rail link to the airport?
- Call for children under 16 to be banned from quad bike riding
- Miniature houses quick, cheap and loveable
- Does this advertisement trivialise depression?
- Organ donation up by 100 per cent
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Garry on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Hi Ross John what was the name of the Beach in or near Hobart that the German person spends six months of the year at? I was ... more
- mylene on Does this advertisement trivialise ... I didn't see the ad in The Age. Depressed men must favour The Herald Sun. :) more
- mylene on Why is there no rail link to the ... There's a guy and there's a deal and there's a confidentiality clause. Join the dots. ;) more
- POOR DOG on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... It was sad for both dogs, but the dog put down was the American staffy after been punched in the face at least 40 times to ... more
- Jim on Does this advertisement trivialise ... They could have at least picked a winning team to put the message out. The Demons would get anyone down at the moment! more
- Jillian on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Sadly people with depression has to fight their own personal 'DEMONS' on a day to day basis. Mental illness is on the rise ... more
- Aria Judilla on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... You're correct Mylene. Like the stupid smokers you mentioned they need to be regulated and slowly phased out from society. more
- Ivan@kinnane on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Well it certainly got everyone's attention! more
- Rob on Does this advertisement trivialise ... The lady from beyond blue who called up and said the advertisement was done to try and get men's attention, because "it's ... more
- Brian Myerson on Organ donation up by 100 per cent OTA, the Organ and Tissue Authority was established in January 2009. In Australia, for the year ended 31 December 2008 there ... more
- No Thanks on 'Cats fighting over a rancid sandwich' She's no big deal. I'm quite she there are plenty of others who could take her place. more
- Ken of Euroa on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... Wow what a story....zoo worker scratched on the finger by sharp thing! Hold the presses this is bigger than Watergate! more
- Andrew on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... Poor Daisy - What chance does she have? Another first round selection by Melbourne!!!!!!! more
- Susan on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... We have women's football, women's netball, women's cricket...all thriving sports for women, yet none can't get a interview ... more
- David R on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... This is news.. you will be reporting paper cuts soon!! more
- mylene on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... Dog owners are the smokers of the 21st Century. :) more
- Ivan@kinnane on Ella Hooper leaves Nine red-faced Ella was 13 when she first fronted Killing Heidi. She used to wear some provocative outfits! So interesting comments from ... more
- Ross on Rumour File: Ramping issue caused ... Agree Peninsula Ambo.Paramedics are constantly called out to attend patients who are better off seeking a GP's opinion or ... more
- Peninsula Ambo on Rumour File: Ramping issue caused ... Ramping I believe is NOT the issue here, and with all other cases in the media. The problem solely lies in the call taking ... more
- Peggy on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... The ONLY was to stop this is to punish the stupid, irrisponsible owners.You can't blame a gun for killing someone. It's the ... more
Giaan Rooney defends Leisel Jones from overweight allegations
Former Olympic swimmer Giaan Rooney believes allegations that coaches are "privately frustrated" at the condition of Olympic veteran Leisel Jones, are "made up".
Photo: Leisel Jones and Kenrick Monk on the pooldeck yesterday. (Reuters)
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Giaan Rooney defended Leisel Jones after the Herald Sun published a two-page spread questioning her condition, which Ross Stevenson said was effectively alleging Leisel Jones was overweight.
"She wouldn't be here in London if coaches were worried about how she was going to perform. That's the bottom line," she said.
Anyone commenting on Leisel's weight 3 days out from Olympics should be ashamed. Should be celebrating our athletes not pulling them down.— Giaan Rooney (@GiaanRooney) July 24, 2012
"She's done the work to get here, and she deserves the same right as everyone else to be judged on her performance and her performance alone."
Neil Mitchell's Olympic swimming commentator, former Olympian Matt Welsh said the only positive was that it was unlikely Liesel would see the articles, with the team avoiding the media in the Olympics.
"Hopefully this hasn't got back to Leisel, but there's really no positive to it," he said.
Matt Welsh said Liesel was probably among the best, if not the best breastroker of all time.
"Liesel's never been a stick-thin swimmer. Her strength is her stroke," he said. "She's got an amazing kick, an amazing ability to hold on in a race."
Giaan Rooney said she was embarrassed to be a member of the media when this type of story was being publishing in the Olympic lead-up. She said the photos published in the Herald Sun were taken from unflattering angles.
While the Herald Sun claims "coaches are privately frustrated at her condition", The Age alleges Jones is not taking the games as seriously as she has in her previous three Olympics.
Page 8 & 9 of this morning's Herald Sun.
"Leisel never put herself up there as the super slim, incredibly cut athlete, she's never had that body shape," she said.
"I don't think her physique has changed at all. She's always had an unusual body shape in terms of what the other swimmers look like, but then we don't have a typical body shape as swimmers anymore."
LISTEN: Giaan Rooney speaks with Ross and John:
too fat too slow,waste of taxpayers money..garry Friday 3 August, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Oops @jgl, how naive of me.Willow Friday 27 July, 2012 - 9:19 PM
she was always a wonderful swimmer, but now she looks hotter than ever. love her thighs.phil Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 9:06 PM
@Willow:Judging by the tenor of your last didactic post you've obviously never heard of the colloquialism;Someone's having a lend.jgl Melb Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 1:46 PM
@jgl, I did say not all. Swimmers and athletes start training and competing at a very early age. I doubt if shooters would need to muscle up as much and they don't need to wear next to nothing and be in water where accidental discharge would be obvious, sorry don't know how else to say it.Willow Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 10:36 PM
First Gillard lectures the world on economic reforms and now Carr is lecturing America on the same issue. These political also-rans are writing cheques with their ego that their status and achievement simply cannot cash. They are humiliating Australia. There are an immeasurably more variables to both issues and neither individual has addressed any issue that not only every politician is aware of but the vast majority of citizens are aware of. They have achieved absolutely nothing in this arena beyond massively increasing taxes and cost of living and also selling vast swathes of Australian assets. That is not an achievement. That is a disgrace. The position of foreign minister of Australia has become little more than an American representative that is paid by Australian citizens. Some of you would have been to quality hotels that offer a motorised shoe polishing machine in their rooms. That is essentially what Rudd was. Obama would put his foot in Rudd and Rudd would clean the cheese from Obamas toes. Carr does not bring on such a cringe emotion as Rudd did but he is absolutely nothing on the international political scene. If he was more honest about issues such as the recent incident of an Australian solicitor then he could be tolerated. Now this imbecile is suggesting we should be more flexible, more accommodating and more supportive of Indonesia. We should eliminate Indonesia as our greatest military threat. Only a fool placates terrorists or parties that intimidate. Indonesia is nothing. Take them out of the picture. That would take 30 days and less than $500M. We cant afford to have any more parasites in the political arena. The military and economic security of our nation is swinging in the wind.Political Succubus Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 5:48 PM