- Ela tastes Indian at Babu Ji
- Reporter recalls 'believable' Bill Vlahos
- Possums pinned in doomed trees
- Wearable kidneys offer hope
- Keka finally makes team photo
- 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi drivers
- Teens too hungover for school
- Which animal makes the best noise?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on Possums pinned in doomed trees The way humans treat animals and do these types of things makes me utterly sick. more
- Jason Wright on 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi ... I think Mr Samuels needs to drive a taxi for a few weeks to get a better understanding of what really happens and how things ... more
- Mandi on Teens too hungover for school My niece told me one of her casual work acquaintances couldn't attend her 5 hr shift unless she could keep a vomit bag ... more
- Jason Wright on 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi ... Here is an idea for you Graeme Samuels, How about you go drive a taxi for a week and really see what happens in the real ... more
- Gerry on Both parties plan to offload port If the Labor party didn't waste BILLONS on the desal plant and all other crackpot Labor and Green policies, we would have ... more
- Stephen Pitney on After the AFL Wall falls International development of Australian football is essential to make the game relevant and sustainable. Just like every ... more
- Bee on After the AFL Wall falls Bring back black and white rules (nothing to do with Collingwood) there are too many open to interpretation even the players ... more
- Craig on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee It's a disgrace. An outrage. And numbers will be up this year and all the sheep will pay, and pay and pay. Thank God i gave ... more
- mylene on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee Concert goers have had to put up with this for years. The Melbourne Recital Centre also asks for a 'donation' when you book. more
- Christine on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee How is this allowed to happen? It's day light robbery and unethical business practice. more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Heavy prisoners' blame Bayley for ... so who really cares..... more
- r on Study shows mammograms useless The mammogram did not pick up the cancer that my mum had but the ultrasound did so they are not 100% please be aware of that. more
- Rosemary on Study shows mammograms useless at 43 I found a lump in my breast. Surgeon sent me for mammo & ultrasound. Mammo found nothing, ultrasound found 2 cancerous ... more
- Jill on Study shows mammograms useless Tough titty's to the 25 year old study....I WILL STILL BE HAVING MY REGULAR MAMMOGRAM FOR THE SAKE OF NOT ONLY MY OWN ... more
- Jackie on Blue Myki scanner costs commuter $200 ... I rarely use Myki as I live in country Vic but I know that the green one, gives you the message, saying that you've touched ... more
- Sharon Williams on Blue Myki scanner costs commuter $200 ... Seriously? I hope the fine was withdrawn, beaurocracy gone mad. more
- Dave gelbart on Shopper chases down runaway racehorse Question for john..Was I in the right place at the wrong time?Dave gelbart more
- Gloria on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers Although had seen it before I watched 'School of Rock' on Eleven as don't much like 'Rake' and was never going to watch ... more
- Lynne List on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers I wanted to watch both Schapelle and INXS but INXS won only because I'm a huge fan and I was peeved off 9 moved it. With ... more
- Robstar on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers It's kind of ironic how Underbelly:INXS showed the band "accidentally" bringing drugs into a country, being forced to scoff ... more
Giaan Rooney defends Leisel Jones from overweight allegations
Former Olympic swimmer Giaan Rooney believes allegations that coaches are "privately frustrated" at the condition of Olympic veteran Leisel Jones, are "made up".
Photo: Leisel Jones and Kenrick Monk on the pooldeck yesterday. (Reuters)
Speaking with 3AW Breakfast, Giaan Rooney defended Leisel Jones after the Herald Sun published a two-page spread questioning her condition, which Ross Stevenson said was effectively alleging Leisel Jones was overweight.
"She wouldn't be here in London if coaches were worried about how she was going to perform. That's the bottom line," she said.
Anyone commenting on Leisel's weight 3 days out from Olympics should be ashamed. Should be celebrating our athletes not pulling them down.— Giaan Rooney (@GiaanRooney) July 24, 2012
"She's done the work to get here, and she deserves the same right as everyone else to be judged on her performance and her performance alone."
Neil Mitchell's Olympic swimming commentator, former Olympian Matt Welsh said the only positive was that it was unlikely Liesel would see the articles, with the team avoiding the media in the Olympics.
"Hopefully this hasn't got back to Leisel, but there's really no positive to it," he said.
Matt Welsh said Liesel was probably among the best, if not the best breastroker of all time.
"Liesel's never been a stick-thin swimmer. Her strength is her stroke," he said. "She's got an amazing kick, an amazing ability to hold on in a race."
Giaan Rooney said she was embarrassed to be a member of the media when this type of story was being publishing in the Olympic lead-up. She said the photos published in the Herald Sun were taken from unflattering angles.
While the Herald Sun claims "coaches are privately frustrated at her condition", The Age alleges Jones is not taking the games as seriously as she has in her previous three Olympics.
Page 8 & 9 of this morning's Herald Sun.
"Leisel never put herself up there as the super slim, incredibly cut athlete, she's never had that body shape," she said.
"I don't think her physique has changed at all. She's always had an unusual body shape in terms of what the other swimmers look like, but then we don't have a typical body shape as swimmers anymore."
LISTEN: Giaan Rooney speaks with Ross and John:
too fat too slow,waste of taxpayers money..garry Friday 3 August, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Oops @jgl, how naive of me.Willow Friday 27 July, 2012 - 9:19 PM
she was always a wonderful swimmer, but now she looks hotter than ever. love her thighs.phil Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 9:06 PM
@Willow:Judging by the tenor of your last didactic post you've obviously never heard of the colloquialism;Someone's having a lend.jgl Melb Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 1:46 PM
@jgl, I did say not all. Swimmers and athletes start training and competing at a very early age. I doubt if shooters would need to muscle up as much and they don't need to wear next to nothing and be in water where accidental discharge would be obvious, sorry don't know how else to say it.Willow Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 10:36 PM
First Gillard lectures the world on economic reforms and now Carr is lecturing America on the same issue. These political also-rans are writing cheques with their ego that their status and achievement simply cannot cash. They are humiliating Australia. There are an immeasurably more variables to both issues and neither individual has addressed any issue that not only every politician is aware of but the vast majority of citizens are aware of. They have achieved absolutely nothing in this arena beyond massively increasing taxes and cost of living and also selling vast swathes of Australian assets. That is not an achievement. That is a disgrace. The position of foreign minister of Australia has become little more than an American representative that is paid by Australian citizens. Some of you would have been to quality hotels that offer a motorised shoe polishing machine in their rooms. That is essentially what Rudd was. Obama would put his foot in Rudd and Rudd would clean the cheese from Obamas toes. Carr does not bring on such a cringe emotion as Rudd did but he is absolutely nothing on the international political scene. If he was more honest about issues such as the recent incident of an Australian solicitor then he could be tolerated. Now this imbecile is suggesting we should be more flexible, more accommodating and more supportive of Indonesia. We should eliminate Indonesia as our greatest military threat. Only a fool placates terrorists or parties that intimidate. Indonesia is nothing. Take them out of the picture. That would take 30 days and less than $500M. We cant afford to have any more parasites in the political arena. The military and economic security of our nation is swinging in the wind.Political Succubus Wednesday 25 July, 2012 - 5:48 PM