- CT Scans increase cancer risk for children
- Most Victorians in jail since 1890
- Ross and John incredulous at Justin Bieber's 'Baby' making music history
- Ross and John’s list of beautiful places in Australia that no one has ever heard of
- Ross and John's gastronomical Footscray tour
- Why is there no rail link to the airport?
- Call for children under 16 to be banned from quad bike riding
- Miniature houses quick, cheap and loveable
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Graeme Frith on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Hi FolksCould you let me know the name of the beautiful beach or bay in Tasmania that the German guy stays at Ross mentioned ... more
- Tricia on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... What was the name of the place outside of St Petersburg in Russia from today's program?Thanks Tricia more
- Helen on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Please post the name of the beach in Tasmania that he German guy spoke about. more
- Barb on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... I would also like to know the name of the beach near Hobart as I did not have a pen. more
- Garry on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Hi Ross John what was the name of the Beach in or near Hobart that the German person spends six months of the year at? I was ... more
- mylene on Does this advertisement trivialise ... I didn't see the ad in The Age. Depressed men must favour The Herald Sun. :) more
- mylene on Why is there no rail link to the ... There's a guy and there's a deal and there's a confidentiality clause. Join the dots. ;) more
- POOR DOG on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... It was sad for both dogs, but the dog put down was the American staffy after been punched in the face at least 40 times to ... more
- Jim on Does this advertisement trivialise ... They could have at least picked a winning team to put the message out. The Demons would get anyone down at the moment! more
- Jillian on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Sadly people with depression has to fight their own personal 'DEMONS' on a day to day basis. Mental illness is on the rise ... more
- Aria Judilla on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... You're correct Mylene. Like the stupid smokers you mentioned they need to be regulated and slowly phased out from society. more
- Ivan@kinnane on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Well it certainly got everyone's attention! more
- Rob on Does this advertisement trivialise ... The lady from beyond blue who called up and said the advertisement was done to try and get men's attention, because "it's ... more
- Brian Myerson on Organ donation up by 100 per cent OTA, the Organ and Tissue Authority was established in January 2009. In Australia, for the year ended 31 December 2008 there ... more
- No Thanks on 'Cats fighting over a rancid sandwich' She's no big deal. I'm quite she there are plenty of others who could take her place. more
- Ken of Euroa on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... Wow what a story....zoo worker scratched on the finger by sharp thing! Hold the presses this is bigger than Watergate! more
- Andrew on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... Poor Daisy - What chance does she have? Another first round selection by Melbourne!!!!!!! more
- Susan on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... We have women's football, women's netball, women's cricket...all thriving sports for women, yet none can't get a interview ... more
- David R on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... This is news.. you will be reporting paper cuts soon!! more
- mylene on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... Dog owners are the smokers of the 21st Century. :) more
Melbourne councillor wants smoking banned from city streets
A City of Melbourne councillor is proposing a ban on smoking for the entire CBD, which will make alfresco dining areas, streets, laneways and even outside office blocks smoke-free zones.
Speaking with Ross and John, the newly-elected councillor Richard Foster said the plan would see the air clear for over 80 per cent of people who choose not to smoke.
HAVE YOUR SAY: Would you like to see smoking banned from Melbourne? Comment below
Cr Foster wants the public smoking ban to be trialled as early as March, which would see Melbourne have the toughest smoking bans in the world.
"Let's show that it can work in Melbourne and then leave it up to the state government to bring it in more widely," he told 3AW Breakfast.
Cr Foster said clear designated smoking areas would need to be implemented, with current arrangements both confusing for smokers and irritating for non-smokers.
"People who smoke do need a place to smoke," he said.
LISTEN: Cr Richard Foster speaks with Ross and John:
Didn't all these outdoor areas come about because the smokers were told to go outside, @ Mandy seeing as your body is a temple I gather you wear a mask when about the city as I think you will find that the emissions from vehicles is damaging your lungs more than walking past 2nd hand cigarette smoke, plus the spite and venom you seem to harbor that issued from your post is possibly causing damage to inner health too, in fact Iâ??m quite stunned at the vile comments posted here to the smokers, reminiscent of the witch hunts of the middle ages, the supercilious attitude of some is interesting to note, obviously there are some out there who think they are perfect and beyond any reproach because their bad habits may not be on public display.Jan Monday 18 March, 2013 - 11:19 AM
Wake up you Bloody whinging do-gooders! the carbon monoxide from cars will kill you a lot quicker than a bit of passive smoke from those that like to have a toke on a durrie, you better get rid of the cars first or you'll be dead before you get a chance to whinge further about cigarette smokers.Robert Friday 15 March, 2013 - 4:21 PM
@Ebony in relation to your full page explanation on why you smoke firstly I don't have any filthy habits like yours my body is a temple I treat it with respect not like a chimney I also wouldn't put myself at risk by approaching a smoker and asking them to stop smoking because smokers are on the defensive anyway and people these days are extremely unpredictable. As soon as I walked out of Etihad Stadium after seeing Kiss the smokers couldn't way to take a drag I had to dodge them its pathetic I did make comments and waved the hand but I'm certainly not going to get assaulted by a time bomb.mandy Thursday 14 March, 2013 - 9:32 AM
Hi Mandy, by reading what you have written I wonder if your IQ test might have come back negative. I am a smoker and I don't agree with the ban, I think instead people who are non-smokers such as yourself shouldn't hide behind a computer to voice their opinion. If you have a problem with it grow some balls and ask people at a cafe if they would kindly stop smoking as you don't like it. Funny as it may sound most smokers would actually listen to it. I even have the curtisy to ask the people I'm around in a public place if smoking a ciggie is going to be an issue for them. And Mandy I'm pretty sure you most likely have what I would call a filthy habit of your own. Instead of worrying about what other people do, try worrying about the consequences of your own actions. As we smokers are reminded of the consequences every time we take a ciggie out a packet, sids pamphlets, adds, and unfortunately selfish people such as yourself. In theory banning smoking in the Melbourne cbd would just be another way to increase government revenue. The government should be paying attention to the population of the Melbourne that is disadvantaged. Increasing funds for not only the public Heath system but also the mental health system. I'm sorry but until someone can come up with a reason that isn't based on themselves I'm not backing this ban.Ebony Saturday 2 March, 2013 - 2:22 PM
I do not smoke, but I think this is as selfish and ignorant a proposal as I have heard. Unsurprisingly typical of an unthinking, cloistered Councillor who has nothing of any significance to busy himself with.Lukew Wednesday 20 February, 2013 - 12:57 AM
About time something was done with these heavy duty polluters.
Some of them are socially retarded and don't care that their effluent affects other people.
Smoking is very dangerous and smokers need to be treated like all other polluters. Only permitted to discharge it in specially designated areas where others are safe.PH Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 11:36 AM