- Ela tastes Indian at Babu Ji
- Reporter recalls 'believable' Bill Vlahos
- Possums pinned in doomed trees
- Wearable kidneys offer hope
- Keka finally makes team photo
- 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi drivers
- Teens too hungover for school
- Which animal makes the best noise?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on Possums pinned in doomed trees The way humans treat animals and do these types of things makes me utterly sick. more
- Jason Wright on 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi ... I think Mr Samuels needs to drive a taxi for a few weeks to get a better understanding of what really happens and how things ... more
- Mandi on Teens too hungover for school My niece told me one of her casual work acquaintances couldn't attend her 5 hr shift unless she could keep a vomit bag ... more
- Jason Wright on 'Backpackers' weed out rogue taxi ... Here is an idea for you Graeme Samuels, How about you go drive a taxi for a week and really see what happens in the real ... more
- Gerry on Both parties plan to offload port If the Labor party didn't waste BILLONS on the desal plant and all other crackpot Labor and Green policies, we would have ... more
- Stephen Pitney on After the AFL Wall falls International development of Australian football is essential to make the game relevant and sustainable. Just like every ... more
- Bee on After the AFL Wall falls Bring back black and white rules (nothing to do with Collingwood) there are too many open to interpretation even the players ... more
- Craig on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee It's a disgrace. An outrage. And numbers will be up this year and all the sheep will pay, and pay and pay. Thank God i gave ... more
- mylene on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee Concert goers have had to put up with this for years. The Melbourne Recital Centre also asks for a 'donation' when you book. more
- Christine on Footy fans charged 'crazy' new fee How is this allowed to happen? It's day light robbery and unethical business practice. more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Heavy prisoners' blame Bayley for ... so who really cares..... more
- r on Study shows mammograms useless The mammogram did not pick up the cancer that my mum had but the ultrasound did so they are not 100% please be aware of that. more
- Rosemary on Study shows mammograms useless at 43 I found a lump in my breast. Surgeon sent me for mammo & ultrasound. Mammo found nothing, ultrasound found 2 cancerous ... more
- Jill on Study shows mammograms useless Tough titty's to the 25 year old study....I WILL STILL BE HAVING MY REGULAR MAMMOGRAM FOR THE SAKE OF NOT ONLY MY OWN ... more
- Jackie on Blue Myki scanner costs commuter $200 ... I rarely use Myki as I live in country Vic but I know that the green one, gives you the message, saying that you've touched ... more
- Sharon Williams on Blue Myki scanner costs commuter $200 ... Seriously? I hope the fine was withdrawn, beaurocracy gone mad. more
- Dave gelbart on Shopper chases down runaway racehorse Question for john..Was I in the right place at the wrong time?Dave gelbart more
- Gloria on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers Although had seen it before I watched 'School of Rock' on Eleven as don't much like 'Rake' and was never going to watch ... more
- Lynne List on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers I wanted to watch both Schapelle and INXS but INXS won only because I'm a huge fan and I was peeved off 9 moved it. With ... more
- Robstar on INXS telemovie a hit with viewers It's kind of ironic how Underbelly:INXS showed the band "accidentally" bringing drugs into a country, being forced to scoff ... more
Melbourne councillor wants smoking banned from city streets
A City of Melbourne councillor is proposing a ban on smoking for the entire CBD, which will make alfresco dining areas, streets, laneways and even outside office blocks smoke-free zones.
Speaking with Ross and John, the newly-elected councillor Richard Foster said the plan would see the air clear for over 80 per cent of people who choose not to smoke.
HAVE YOUR SAY: Would you like to see smoking banned from Melbourne? Comment below
Cr Foster wants the public smoking ban to be trialled as early as March, which would see Melbourne have the toughest smoking bans in the world.
"Let's show that it can work in Melbourne and then leave it up to the state government to bring it in more widely," he told 3AW Breakfast.
Cr Foster said clear designated smoking areas would need to be implemented, with current arrangements both confusing for smokers and irritating for non-smokers.
"People who smoke do need a place to smoke," he said.
LISTEN: Cr Richard Foster speaks with Ross and John:
Didn't all these outdoor areas come about because the smokers were told to go outside, @ Mandy seeing as your body is a temple I gather you wear a mask when about the city as I think you will find that the emissions from vehicles is damaging your lungs more than walking past 2nd hand cigarette smoke, plus the spite and venom you seem to harbor that issued from your post is possibly causing damage to inner health too, in fact Iâ??m quite stunned at the vile comments posted here to the smokers, reminiscent of the witch hunts of the middle ages, the supercilious attitude of some is interesting to note, obviously there are some out there who think they are perfect and beyond any reproach because their bad habits may not be on public display.Jan Monday 18 March, 2013 - 11:19 AM
Wake up you Bloody whinging do-gooders! the carbon monoxide from cars will kill you a lot quicker than a bit of passive smoke from those that like to have a toke on a durrie, you better get rid of the cars first or you'll be dead before you get a chance to whinge further about cigarette smokers.Robert Friday 15 March, 2013 - 4:21 PM
@Ebony in relation to your full page explanation on why you smoke firstly I don't have any filthy habits like yours my body is a temple I treat it with respect not like a chimney I also wouldn't put myself at risk by approaching a smoker and asking them to stop smoking because smokers are on the defensive anyway and people these days are extremely unpredictable. As soon as I walked out of Etihad Stadium after seeing Kiss the smokers couldn't way to take a drag I had to dodge them its pathetic I did make comments and waved the hand but I'm certainly not going to get assaulted by a time bomb.mandy Thursday 14 March, 2013 - 9:32 AM
Hi Mandy, by reading what you have written I wonder if your IQ test might have come back negative. I am a smoker and I don't agree with the ban, I think instead people who are non-smokers such as yourself shouldn't hide behind a computer to voice their opinion. If you have a problem with it grow some balls and ask people at a cafe if they would kindly stop smoking as you don't like it. Funny as it may sound most smokers would actually listen to it. I even have the curtisy to ask the people I'm around in a public place if smoking a ciggie is going to be an issue for them. And Mandy I'm pretty sure you most likely have what I would call a filthy habit of your own. Instead of worrying about what other people do, try worrying about the consequences of your own actions. As we smokers are reminded of the consequences every time we take a ciggie out a packet, sids pamphlets, adds, and unfortunately selfish people such as yourself. In theory banning smoking in the Melbourne cbd would just be another way to increase government revenue. The government should be paying attention to the population of the Melbourne that is disadvantaged. Increasing funds for not only the public Heath system but also the mental health system. I'm sorry but until someone can come up with a reason that isn't based on themselves I'm not backing this ban.Ebony Saturday 2 March, 2013 - 2:22 PM
I do not smoke, but I think this is as selfish and ignorant a proposal as I have heard. Unsurprisingly typical of an unthinking, cloistered Councillor who has nothing of any significance to busy himself with.Lukew Wednesday 20 February, 2013 - 12:57 AM
About time something was done with these heavy duty polluters.
Some of them are socially retarded and don't care that their effluent affects other people.
Smoking is very dangerous and smokers need to be treated like all other polluters. Only permitted to discharge it in specially designated areas where others are safe.PH Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 11:36 AM