- Paramedics ordered to stop handwritten political slogans on ambulances
- CT Scans increase cancer risk for children
- Most Victorians in jail since 1890
- Ross and John incredulous at Justin Bieber's 'Baby' making music history
- Ross and John’s list of beautiful places in Australia that no one has ever heard of
- Ross and John's gastronomical Footscray tour
- Why is there no rail link to the airport?
- Call for children under 16 to be banned from quad bike riding
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Peter on Ross and John's gastronomical Footscray ... Tony Cavallaro's Italian cakes and sweets are TO DIE FOR! The only pastry shop in Australia that compares to anything you ... more
- Graeme Frith on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Hi FolksCould you let me know the name of the beautiful beach or bay in Tasmania that the German guy stays at Ross mentioned ... more
- Tricia on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... What was the name of the place outside of St Petersburg in Russia from today's program?Thanks Tricia more
- Helen on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Please post the name of the beach in Tasmania that he German guy spoke about. more
- Barb on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... I would also like to know the name of the beach near Hobart as I did not have a pen. more
- Garry on Ross and John’s list of beautiful ... Hi Ross John what was the name of the Beach in or near Hobart that the German person spends six months of the year at? I was ... more
- mylene on Does this advertisement trivialise ... I didn't see the ad in The Age. Depressed men must favour The Herald Sun. :) more
- mylene on Why is there no rail link to the ... There's a guy and there's a deal and there's a confidentiality clause. Join the dots. ;) more
- POOR DOG on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... It was sad for both dogs, but the dog put down was the American staffy after been punched in the face at least 40 times to ... more
- Jim on Does this advertisement trivialise ... They could have at least picked a winning team to put the message out. The Demons would get anyone down at the moment! more
- Jillian on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Sadly people with depression has to fight their own personal 'DEMONS' on a day to day basis. Mental illness is on the rise ... more
- Aria Judilla on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... You're correct Mylene. Like the stupid smokers you mentioned they need to be regulated and slowly phased out from society. more
- Ivan@kinnane on Does this advertisement trivialise ... Well it certainly got everyone's attention! more
- Rob on Does this advertisement trivialise ... The lady from beyond blue who called up and said the advertisement was done to try and get men's attention, because "it's ... more
- Brian Myerson on Organ donation up by 100 per cent OTA, the Organ and Tissue Authority was established in January 2009. In Australia, for the year ended 31 December 2008 there ... more
- No Thanks on 'Cats fighting over a rancid sandwich' She's no big deal. I'm quite she there are plenty of others who could take her place. more
- Ken of Euroa on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... Wow what a story....zoo worker scratched on the finger by sharp thing! Hold the presses this is bigger than Watergate! more
- Andrew on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... Poor Daisy - What chance does she have? Another first round selection by Melbourne!!!!!!! more
- Susan on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... We have women's football, women's netball, women's cricket...all thriving sports for women, yet none can't get a interview ... more
- David R on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... This is news.. you will be reporting paper cuts soon!! more
Melburnians invited to participate in Alzheimer's drug trial
Melburnians who are suffering the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease are being invited to apply to participate in a study to trial an Australian drug which is believed to help in combating dementia.
Speaking with Ross and John the study’s coordinator Associate Professor Michael Woodward, the Head of Aged Care for Austin Health, said anyone over the age of 55 who has mild Alzheimer’s disease and accessible to Melbourne was able to apply.
Dr Woodward said the drug targeted the protein amyloid which is the known cause of Alzheimer’s.
”We think this drug actually breaks down the toxic effects of amyloid that actually seems to be the cause of Alzheimer’s Disease,” he said.
”This is an opportunity to actually stop Alzheimer’s in its tracks or even to reverse the process.”
Two thirds of participants in the trial will receive the drug, with the other third receiving a placebo.
”The wonderful thing is that this is a drug that has been developed entirely in Australia (and) is now being researched entirely in Australia,” Dr Woodward said.
For more information phone the IMAGINE Trial on 1800 837 683.
Study sites are located at Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Caulfield Hospital, Delmont Private Hospital, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Geelong Private Medical Centre.
LISTEN: Associate Professor Michael Woodward speaks with Ross and John:
If they can repeat the previous trial results, it sounds like they may be able to stop that mind robbing disease.Ken Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 4:03 AM
alzeimer!! name itself scares many of us..... our family physicians have always recommended us to get on vegan omega 3 from early in age..like from 40s.. this will certainly reduce the risk of alzeimer and people who are already affected, in them it will slow down the progression. We are very much relieved with this and feel tension less. We have been taking VeDHA-3, vegan omega 3 DHA, from Lifes DHA, which is DSM product. Great quality!Emily Thursday 11 October, 2012 - 8:23 PM