- 'Why didn't we let the dangerous man leave?'
- AFL to review Multicultural Cup
- Calls to explore cannabis as psychosis aid
- 'It's as simple as good ingredients'
- New rules make phones OK on Qantas and Virgin flights
- Bishop on ISIS beheading: 'Outrageous, brutal'
- Seven buys back the Games
- The one cabbie who passed the taxi test says it's not that hard
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Lesley Durham on AFL to review Multicultural Cup The AFL is a bunch of politically correct, meddling do gooders. This is segregation and rather than promoting inclusion, ... more
- Kris on AFL to review Multicultural Cup Its ridiculous that an aussie is pushed aside for thinking this is wrong yet if we were to exclude any other race/religon ... more
- Sinbad on AFL to review Multicultural Cup This really smacks of double standards from the newest left wing entity which used to be called the AFL. 'Fonzie' ... more
- simone on AFL to review Multicultural Cup So Australian is no longer a culture. Onya AFL. Way to promote diversity and racism. more
- Aria Judilla on AFL to review Multicultural Cup Kid, you'll do much better in life if you're kept away from this obscenely violent AFL football culture. Consider it a ... more
- Michael McCarthy on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Black more
- Sue Moyle on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver Cabs for Melbourne more
- Manda on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Black! Most people recognise London taxis already, so keep them easily identifiable. more
- Shaz the all rounder on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver- looks a bit more sophisisticated more
- Claire on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver = classy more
- Alison on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... white more
- alison tuxworth on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White more
- Shawn on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... We're in Melbourne...Black is the new Black! more
- Sal J on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver 'cos if you miss washing it, it'll still look clean enough whereas black shows up dirt too easily more
- Kath on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Silver always looks clean more
- Heather on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White London Cabs is my choiceHowever, if they have to be Black withthe silver roof, or other black and silver combination ... more
- Clorinda on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White, looks smart will look cleaner more
- Vic on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White for summer and visibility safety more
- Tracey on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... Black is Melbourne's signature colour so the taxis should be black. more
- John murphy on London taxis in Melbourne: Choose the ... White more
Pregnant women turned away by maternity hospitals
Pregnant women in Melbourne are being turned away by their local maternity hospitals because of a shortage of facilities in growth suburbs.
Last year, the Auditor-General reported more than 200 women had given birth in Sunshine Hospital’s emergency department because of a space shortage in the maternity unit.
Speaking with Ross and John, Health Services Commissioner Beth Wilson said better healthcare planning in the western and northern suburbs was needed.
”We know that there's a huge birthing growth in the western suburbs and the northern suburbs. (They're the) fastest growing regions in the world,” she said.
”We know that young couples are buying houses in the new suburbs. We need to make sure that we plan so that they can have accessible safe, health services.”
Ms Wilson said women were now being told if they wanted to secure a place at their preferred hospital, they would need to book by week six of their pregnancy.
But Ms Wilson said many women are unaware they are actually pregnant at that stage.
”It's pretty hard to actually know that you're pregnant at six weeks,” she said.
Victorian Minister for Health and Aging David Davis told Ross and John there was no doubt there had been significant growth in Melbourne's west, which the Baillieu government had catered for.
"There's no question that there's been a slowness over a number of years to put some services over there for people that do need it," he said.
"Particularly in the budget this year, there was money for Intensive Care at Sunshine (Hospital), but also additional maternity capacity."
LISTEN: Health Services Commissioner Beth Wilson speaks with 3AW Breakfast:
@caz, it was not my intention to denegrate any mother but it could explain the extreme influx in the birth rate, especially in the Northern and Western suburbs.GIW Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 9:06 PM
Gee GIW and why would it matter what nationality,marital status, or religion was involved?
Mothers are mothers who all have maternal feelings and would be devastated if they lost their babies due to lack of medical help/intervention.caz Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 12:05 PM
It is sad that pregnant women are being told on a daily basis they cannot book at Werribee. Pregnant women cannot be put on a waiting list and funding for them should not have a "number of births" limit. Government needs to step in and fund the western suburbs appropriately.Joe Garra Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 9:52 AM
Would like to know the % of women contributing to this baby boom that are either immigrants or single mothers.GIW Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 9:47 AM
It doesn't surprise me that western and northern suburbs are experiencing fastest birth rates. Just take a look at the demographic there.
I wonder what happens when a woman in labour turns up in one of those hospitals. Do they actually allow her to give bith in Emergency? How horrible. State government should've anticipated this problem long ago considering that certain ethnic groups do tend to have a lot more children than the rest of the society and most of them live in those suburbs.Peggy Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 9:35 AM
This country is overpopulated the majority are unemployable on centrelink payments thats all they know and they are good at something or migrants that just stepped off the boat oh the sudanese are big breeders they just keep flooding in oh we need more hospitals duh.tammy Tuesday 23 October, 2012 - 9:29 AM