- Traders torn on Brunswick St car ban plan
- 2014 Pancake Parlour challenge: Ross and John become cabbies
- 3AW caller prevents car-train smash
- Cushla's marquee day
- Ross and John get cheesy
- How to make Melbourne better
- The thief who didn't know when to quit
- Too many raiders? That's ridiculous
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kate on Traders torn on Brunswick St car ban ... So stop cars travelling down Brunswick Street. Trade will be cut and the surrounding streets inundated. They are cutting ... more
- Sue on Cushla's marquee day Cushla, you are a deadset legend. more
- Alexis Michael on 3AW caller prevents car-train smash Wondering if the burnt out Peugeot in Diggers Rest has some connection to the abandoned 4WD on the Geelong train line at ... more
- Hendrik on How to make Melbourne better Melbourne really needs higher density living. The reason why the housing and public transport situation is so bad is exactly ... more
- Milton on How to make Melbourne better Brent:That may be why Vancouver is runner-up? more
- IBARKER on 'Cage fighting is safer' Animals Fighting Animals more
- Belinda on 'Cage fighting is safer' You have got to be joking don't you?What pleasure do you get out of watching someone get bashed.Bloody barbaric,stupid, ... more
- MICHAEL KENNA on 'Cage fighting is safer' MMA is a discipline that is already legal and permitted by state legislation.The problem is the fact that a boxing ring is ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Cage fighting is safer' good old 'bling bling' Lay....living in the past, as usualall he has to do is enforce the law NOT giving us his opinion. more
- poppitt on 'Cage fighting is safer' Labour has gone mad. Is this to get the votes of the young men? Really. This is not a sport. The last thing we need is more ... more
- Stephen on Whitlam home to be demolished It's an ex-PM's house! really does it matter? You'll be protecting Julia's house down at Altona next!! more
- Mark on Foreign investors flock to Melbourne The FIRB should be renamed to FARB the foreign acquisition review board more
- Ray on How to NOT define shirtfront I just came here to read the comments more
- Catherine on How to NOT define shirtfront People seem to lack insight about this. Although Abbott is one of my least favourite politicians, people should think about ... more
- Jan on How to NOT define shirtfront Putin should be shirtfronted. more
- Jamie on How to NOT define shirtfront Benny says in his comment "you just need to cop stuff on the chin and move on". Someone needs to shirtfront you for making ... more
- IBARKER on The eyes don't work! Typical bike rider. more
- Stephen Devereux on How to NOT define shirtfront would have been simpler to deny Putin a visa more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront putin by a ko easy more
- Hooksy of the Bush on The eyes don't work! Sorry Chris, it is done up. It's just not done up tight enough. more
Sly: We didn't want to see the obvious that this was an abduction
Crime reporter for The Age, Sly of the Underworld, has praised the Homicide Squad’s efforts in finding and charging Adrian Ernest Bayley over Jill Meagher’s alleged rape and murder, while calling for people to report any suspicious activity they encounter.
Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, of Coburg, was charged with one count of rape and one count of murder this morning.
Sly told Ross and John it was disturbing that a large number of women in the Brunswick area had declared they had been approached at different times by an unidentified man that had spooked them or made them believe they were the victim of an attempted abduction.
”And yet they chose not to report it,” he said.
”I'm not suggesting that Bayley is that man. But you must rember that Paul Charles Denyer who abducted and murdered three women in Frankston, stalked literally hundreds of women before he struck.
”People in those circumstances are indeed duty bound to go to the police, even if you don't have the details of a car registration.
”If police get sufficient reports, they can run an operation and catch people before we end up on the front page like we do today.”
Sly said the story which has compelled Victorians for a week saw a whispering campaign against Jill’s husband, Tom Meagher, which he said was due to people not being able to accept a random abduction could occur.
”(Tom Meagher) would've been told by Homicide when they took over the case on Monday that we start every case at the beginning, and you are at the beginning. So naturally we have to deal with you first and then discount you and we can move on - which indeed they did,” he said.
"We're so terrified of the thought of somebody being randomly abducted from the street, if we can develop a scenario amongst ourselves that it's not like that, it is a domestic or that somehow the victim is to blame, then the good girls, the innocent girls, can walk the street safely.
”We don't want to see the obvious, that this indeed was an abduction.”
LISTEN: Sly of the Underworld speaks with Ross and John:
UPDATE: It’s believed the body of 29-year-old missing ABC employee Jillian Meagher has been found by police approximately 50 kilometres from Melbourne’s CBD. Coburg man Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, was charged with Jillian’s rape and murder early this morning.
Please feel free to leave a tribute to Jill and her family below. However any comments which may be deemed as prejudicial to the case, contain speculation or are in very poor taste will not be published.
hello sly do you remember the police tape interview about the ladder very funny how can i get this tape thanks markmark doyle Sunday 17 March, 2013 - 1:21 PM
Negligence is not reporting. Reporting can save lives.chris Friday 5 October, 2012 - 9:19 AM
"If police get sufficient reports, they can run an operation and catch people before we end up on the front page like we do today.â??
If women reported to Police?! What planet are you on Sly? How about Police stop being negligent and actually DO THE PAPERWORK and FOLLOW-UP when women DO report? See below link. This was NOT a random attack - police new this person's history and address (he was ON PAROLE), and still ignored reports from women living in the same area. When will the police take women's safety seriously? When will women stop being blamed for their behaviour (including NOT reporting crimes against them)mechris Thursday 4 October, 2012 - 2:18 PM
I am numb with the fact that the streets of Melbourne are not safe anymore! I lived at Northcote and although I did not walk for exercise at 1am, I did in fact walk up St. George's Road and back, then around some streets and back home! I will never walk again at night time. I don't think I will ever get past this event. My heart breaks for beautiful Jill's husband and family, I can't imagine how they must feel. I myself feel sick to my stomach and I have to believe that in our Country justice WILL prevail, hopefully!!!! I am disgusted that the face book page was removed, I knew that we were losing our right to freedom of speech in Australia, guess they just proved it to be fact. I am mortified!!! Has anyone ever heard the saying... "If it looks like a dusk, then it is a duck"!!! Where was the protection for Jill????Jilly Thursday 4 October, 2012 - 12:42 AM
I was saddened to hear of the death of Jill, but I am
now fed up hearing about the
public out-pooring about this one woman.
Let's put it to rest after one solid week.
What about the poor 17 year old who was killed this morning?celine Monday 1 October, 2012 - 5:27 PM
There are many introverted,quiet women in
Middle Eastern countries, third world countries who
dress from head to toe, many even use veils.
Still there are murders,rapes,
attacks etc on these women...
For this reason I don't buy the idea that if a woman dresses in less clothing or looks provocative (in certain individuals minds)she is looking for trouble.
There are lots of decent men out there who would not take advantage of a woman
by abducting her raping her or murdering her because she looks ""Provocative""
So what is in the minds of certain men who believe this is the case.
This mind set of certain individuals worries me.
What next? We shouldnt wear shorts,swimsuits or bikinis at the beach in fear of men who can't control their primitive basic instincts or actions because they are sick individuals?caz Monday 1 October, 2012 - 12:25 PM