- Bar Nacional
- Cult Of ISIS to set tongues wagging at Moonee Valley
- Are we past Love Thy Neighbour?
- Don't count on your inheritance
- ISIS: 'We get hate mail, the trolls are out'
- Whitlam home to be demolished
- Ross and John at the Cox Plate Breakfast
- The Block's tick of approval
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on 'Cage fighting is safer' Animals Fighting Animals more
- Belinda on 'Cage fighting is safer' You have got to be joking don't you?What pleasure do you get out of watching someone get bashed.Bloody barbaric,stupid, ... more
- MICHAEL KENNA on 'Cage fighting is safer' MMA is a discipline that is already legal and permitted by state legislation.The problem is the fact that a boxing ring is ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Cage fighting is safer' good old 'bling bling' Lay....living in the past, as usualall he has to do is enforce the law NOT giving us his opinion. more
- poppitt on 'Cage fighting is safer' Labour has gone mad. Is this to get the votes of the young men? Really. This is not a sport. The last thing we need is more ... more
- Stephen on Whitlam home to be demolished It's an ex-PM's house! really does it matter? You'll be protecting Julia's house down at Altona next!! more
- Mark on Foreign investors flock to Melbourne The FIRB should be renamed to FARB the foreign acquisition review board more
- Ray on How to NOT define shirtfront I just came here to read the comments more
- Catherine on How to NOT define shirtfront People seem to lack insight about this. Although Abbott is one of my least favourite politicians, people should think about ... more
- Jan on How to NOT define shirtfront Putin should be shirtfronted. more
- Jamie on How to NOT define shirtfront Benny says in his comment "you just need to cop stuff on the chin and move on". Someone needs to shirtfront you for making ... more
- IBARKER on The eyes don't work! Typical bike rider. more
- Stephen Devereux on How to NOT define shirtfront would have been simpler to deny Putin a visa more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront putin by a ko easy more
- Hooksy of the Bush on The eyes don't work! Sorry Chris, it is done up. It's just not done up tight enough. more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront what a fool this dog abbott is .Yes he was a boxer in his earlier days he was called KID CANDLE ONE BLOW AND HE WAS OUT more
- Greg on The eyes don't work! You big sook! more
- Tommy on How to NOT define shirtfront Vladimir Putin was awarded the highest rank in taekwondo, giving him honorary grandmaster status.It means the president has ... more
- IBARKER on How to NOT define shirtfront Suffer Putin?? more
- EVGENII on How to NOT define shirtfront What do you know about Russia more
Sydneysiders more hostile towards Muslims than Melburnians
Image: Sydneysiders take part in the 'Cronulla Riots' to denounce the Lebanese. (Dean Sewell)
Research shows hostility towards Muslims is far more widespread in Sydney than in Melbourne due to a higher, more concentrated Islamic population and differing attitudes to social integration.
29 per cent of Sydneysiders hold a negative perception of Muslims, compared with just 15 per cent of Melburnians.
Speaking with Ross and John, author of the Mapping Social Cohesion Report, Professor Andrew Markus from Monash University, said Sydney’s ‘in-your-face’ media also played a part in attitudes.
"They have this sort of in-your-face media which really doesn't go down very well in Melbourne. People actually like a more reasoned and less in-your-face discussion," he said.
”One of the things that Victorians are distinctive for, and particularly Melburnians, is they probably work harder at the business of integration.
”We've got governments and we've got oppositions that agree on policies of multiculturalism.”
Professor Markus said Sydney also had at least a 25 per cent higher Muslim population compared to Melbourne, who lived in concentrated migrant communities. He said in Melbourne, the Muslim communities were more widely dispersed.
LISTEN: Professor Andrew Markus speaks with Ross and John:
With constant bickering over their own problems abroad and here(objection to Ham Sandwich and Christmas out of street signs etc) ,no wonder locals are afraid of Muslims in Australia. Attempts to overturn Australian ethos is abhorrent and bound to create hostilityaustin theodore Thursday 20 December, 2012 - 9:38 AM
I live in NSW and I find 2UE too offensive, except ross greenwood, (now that I don't trust the ABC) I have very little radio to listen to. so I've can take 3AW, Melbourne is not so red-neck like sydney, these red-necks are making sure of an ALP win, like the hard right teabags in the USA!niki Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 12:06 PM
We will wake up when its too late,if they get a few of them in parliment they will pass their own laws>!Steve Tuesday 6 November, 2012 - 12:11 PM
mark my words there will be trouble between muslims and and the rest of australians in the near future you only have to see what has happened overseas wake up now before its to latelw ross Monday 5 November, 2012 - 9:16 AM