- Organ donation up by 100 per cent
- Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo worker
- Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being first ever top women's AFL draft pick
- Rumour File: Defence force confirms Australian Army base incident
- Top cop not just a pretty face in a dodgy toilet
- Rumour File: Ramping issue caused paramedics 28 minutes to reach fitting baby
- Beware of the jury duty fine letter scam
- Standing equals exercise
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- No Thanks on 'Cats fighting over a rancid sandwich' She's no big deal. I'm quite she there are plenty of others who could take her place. more
- Ken of Euroa on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... Wow what a story....zoo worker scratched on the finger by sharp thing! Hold the presses this is bigger than Watergate! more
- Andrew on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... Poor Daisy - What chance does she have? Another first round selection by Melbourne!!!!!!! more
- Susan on Daisy Pearce 'overwhelmed' at being ... We have women's football, women's netball, women's cricket...all thriving sports for women, yet none can't get a interview ... more
- David R on Sharp scare 'Gibbon' to Melbourne Zoo ... This is news.. you will be reporting paper cuts soon!! more
- mylene on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... Dog owners are the smokers of the 21st Century. :) more
- Ivan@kinnane on Ella Hooper leaves Nine red-faced Ella was 13 when she first fronted Killing Heidi. She used to wear some provocative outfits! So interesting comments from ... more
- Ross on Rumour File: Ramping issue caused ... Agree Peninsula Ambo.Paramedics are constantly called out to attend patients who are better off seeking a GP's opinion or ... more
- Peninsula Ambo on Rumour File: Ramping issue caused ... Ramping I believe is NOT the issue here, and with all other cases in the media. The problem solely lies in the call taking ... more
- Peggy on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... The ONLY was to stop this is to punish the stupid, irrisponsible owners.You can't blame a gun for killing someone. It's the ... more
- David R on Rumour File: Ramping issue caused ... Shouldn't you be asking the Hospital staff and management why they refuse to accept patients. more
- Jake on Ella Hooper leaves Nine red-faced BS. more
- Peter on Restaurant owners want penalty rates ... Hospitality industry workers along with retail industry workers are among the lower paid workers in this country and to ... more
- mylene on Victoria Police unable to share ... What a load of rubbish. The Premier of Victoria is also the racing minister and if he found out there was any criminals ... more
- John on Mass retail exodus in Bridge Road The new tram stops on Bridge Road west have taken dozens of parking spaces and helped to make the place look like an ... more
- bruce on Rumour File: Vicious dog attack spills ... Some facts on Pitbulls. American Pitbull Terriers constitute the majority of dogs used for illegal dog fighting in the ... more
- mylene on Mass retail exodus in Bridge Road It's a lot easier to build apartments over an existing shop and it's even easier is that shop is unoccupied. There. The ... more
- janetp on Victoria Police unable to share ... Who benefits from the Fed Legislation, the Politicians,to many crooks in power. more
- janetp on Restaurant owners want penalty rates ... Restaurants, cafe's, coffee shops, takeaway food, any thing to do with food are charged an additional $700 a year. No other ... more
- janetp on Ella Hooper leaves Nine red-faced Get real, if u wear short short's to attract attention u get what u deserve, the complaint should be,they wreaked my ear ... more
Sydneysiders more hostile towards Muslims than Melburnians
Image: Sydneysiders take part in the 'Cronulla Riots' to denounce the Lebanese. (Dean Sewell)
Research shows hostility towards Muslims is far more widespread in Sydney than in Melbourne due to a higher, more concentrated Islamic population and differing attitudes to social integration.
29 per cent of Sydneysiders hold a negative perception of Muslims, compared with just 15 per cent of Melburnians.
Speaking with Ross and John, author of the Mapping Social Cohesion Report, Professor Andrew Markus from Monash University, said Sydney’s ‘in-your-face’ media also played a part in attitudes.
"They have this sort of in-your-face media which really doesn't go down very well in Melbourne. People actually like a more reasoned and less in-your-face discussion," he said.
”One of the things that Victorians are distinctive for, and particularly Melburnians, is they probably work harder at the business of integration.
”We've got governments and we've got oppositions that agree on policies of multiculturalism.”
Professor Markus said Sydney also had at least a 25 per cent higher Muslim population compared to Melbourne, who lived in concentrated migrant communities. He said in Melbourne, the Muslim communities were more widely dispersed.
LISTEN: Professor Andrew Markus speaks with Ross and John:
With constant bickering over their own problems abroad and here(objection to Ham Sandwich and Christmas out of street signs etc) ,no wonder locals are afraid of Muslims in Australia. Attempts to overturn Australian ethos is abhorrent and bound to create hostilityaustin theodore Thursday 20 December, 2012 - 9:38 AM
I live in NSW and I find 2UE too offensive, except ross greenwood, (now that I don't trust the ABC) I have very little radio to listen to. so I've can take 3AW, Melbourne is not so red-neck like sydney, these red-necks are making sure of an ALP win, like the hard right teabags in the USA!niki Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 12:06 PM
We will wake up when its too late,if they get a few of them in parliment they will pass their own laws>!Steve Tuesday 6 November, 2012 - 12:11 PM
mark my words there will be trouble between muslims and and the rest of australians in the near future you only have to see what has happened overseas wake up now before its to latelw ross Monday 5 November, 2012 - 9:16 AM