- Bar Nacional
- Cult Of ISIS to set tongues wagging at Moonee Valley
- Are we past Love Thy Neighbour?
- Don't count on your inheritance
- ISIS: 'We get hate mail, the trolls are out'
- Whitlam home to be demolished
- Ross and John at the Cox Plate Breakfast
- The Block's tick of approval
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on 'Cage fighting is safer' Animals Fighting Animals more
- Belinda on 'Cage fighting is safer' You have got to be joking don't you?What pleasure do you get out of watching someone get bashed.Bloody barbaric,stupid, ... more
- MICHAEL KENNA on 'Cage fighting is safer' MMA is a discipline that is already legal and permitted by state legislation.The problem is the fact that a boxing ring is ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'Cage fighting is safer' good old 'bling bling' Lay....living in the past, as usualall he has to do is enforce the law NOT giving us his opinion. more
- poppitt on 'Cage fighting is safer' Labour has gone mad. Is this to get the votes of the young men? Really. This is not a sport. The last thing we need is more ... more
- Stephen on Whitlam home to be demolished It's an ex-PM's house! really does it matter? You'll be protecting Julia's house down at Altona next!! more
- Mark on Foreign investors flock to Melbourne The FIRB should be renamed to FARB the foreign acquisition review board more
- Ray on How to NOT define shirtfront I just came here to read the comments more
- Catherine on How to NOT define shirtfront People seem to lack insight about this. Although Abbott is one of my least favourite politicians, people should think about ... more
- Jan on How to NOT define shirtfront Putin should be shirtfronted. more
- Jamie on How to NOT define shirtfront Benny says in his comment "you just need to cop stuff on the chin and move on". Someone needs to shirtfront you for making ... more
- IBARKER on The eyes don't work! Typical bike rider. more
- Stephen Devereux on How to NOT define shirtfront would have been simpler to deny Putin a visa more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront putin by a ko easy more
- Hooksy of the Bush on The eyes don't work! Sorry Chris, it is done up. It's just not done up tight enough. more
- bc on How to NOT define shirtfront what a fool this dog abbott is .Yes he was a boxer in his earlier days he was called KID CANDLE ONE BLOW AND HE WAS OUT more
- Greg on The eyes don't work! You big sook! more
- Tommy on How to NOT define shirtfront Vladimir Putin was awarded the highest rank in taekwondo, giving him honorary grandmaster status.It means the president has ... more
- IBARKER on How to NOT define shirtfront Suffer Putin?? more
- EVGENII on How to NOT define shirtfront What do you know about Russia more
Welsh Treasure Hunters turn focus to Melbourne
In something that wouldn’t be out of place in a Robert Louis Stevenson novel, a team of treasure hunters have landed in Melbourne to delve deeper into the story of a 153-year-old Welsh shipwreck.
460 people died and around £80 million in Australian gold was lost when the Royal Charter sank off the coast of North Wales in October 1859.
Gold prospector Vincent Thurkettle has been exploring the wreck for 7 consecutive summers but says his focus has now shifted from the pursuit of treasure to the stories behind it.
"I went there looking for the gold, no doubt about it at all, but as you start finding the artefacts and the bits and pieces it gets more and more interesting and you begin to sort of morph from being purely obsessed with the gold to being interested in the people" Mr Thurkettle told Ross Stevenson on 3AW Breakfast.
The documentary team are currently in Melbourne searching for any relatives of a man named Edward Bennett after the salvage crew found a clearly engraved snuff box with his name. Image below.
"I put a piece in the Daily Telegraph, which is a main British newspaper, and this film company picked it up and said 'This is the most amazing story'," he told 3AW Breakfast.
"It picks up everything from a storm which changed weather forecasting in Britain, the socio-economic development of Britain and Australia together and the personal tragedy, the simple human tragedy,"
"So there is every angle if you like, adventure, romance, wealth, tragedy, everything is there" he said.
WATCH VIDEO: Vincent Thurkettle and Gwen Jones in the 3AW Studio with Ross Stevenson.
IMAGE: Edward Bennett's snuff box (supplied)
IMAGE: A ring from the wreck of the Royal Charter (supplied)