- Is Tom Elliott Carlton's chosen one?
- Demon to miss rest of 2014
- 'We've gone into our shells': Swann
- Sunday Roast and Sweet
- A talkback lashing from Carlton fans
- Will the 'full forward' return?
- 'What a weird ass guy'
- We can match it with Cox and Nic Nat
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on Is Tom Elliott Carlton's chosen one? So does this mean Caaaarlton will have beige included into their colours? more
- Craig on Put the Aussie back into Aussie Rules One word BUMP!!!! It's one of the pillars of the AFL game and it's being hacked down by the commission! Doesn't stop them ... more
- David Williams on Put the Aussie back into Aussie Rules I cant stand watching this game of tackle anymore, it is a bloody joke, with players jumping into one anothers backsand ... more
- GIW on Carlton lack quality kids: Lloyd Yes,Caaarltons recruiting has been not good. Perhaps if they finish last on the ladder they could get a select recruit but ... more
- ccc on Worst crowds for 20 years Good and I hope they are down all year.The AFL want to screw the grass roots supporter by charging more for "premium" games ... more
- Gazza on Lloyd: Thanks for your service, Fletch A true legend..... more
- David T. on 'It's all about James Hird' Has it occurred to Caroline Wilson, that the middle letter of MCG is "C", for Cricket; not "F" for Football? more
- Steve on 'It's all about James Hird' Dog with a bone...Hird is probably frustrated because he cannot speak to defend himself against some fairly ordinary and ... more
- Stephen on 'It's all about James Hird' James Hird says he is counting down the days. Then says I think its less than 6 months now?Either you are counting or not! more
- Paul on 'It's all about James Hird' Really Caro, enough is enough, let it go for heavens sake.This saga is defining you, its no longer just reporting the facts ... more
- Ned on 'It's all about James Hird' Andrew, Get your facts straight James has been charged with bad governance, and punished, ( he would rather be coaching his ... more
- Gloss on 'It's all about James Hird' Am with you all the way Caro, if Hird is reinstated as coach I will never ever watch another Essendon game. more
- GIW on 'It's all about James Hird' It is all about Hird and it is a bloody disgrace that he was paid. Essendon management should be brought to account as to ... more
- Philip Maguire on 'It's all about James Hird' On the contrary it's all about Caro Wilson. Hird earned his legendary status and has retained his dignity thriughout this ... more
- Steve on 'It's all about James Hird' Hird is going to disrupt the club again this year just go away! more
- Diane on 'It's all about James Hird' There she goes again, mouthing off. Caro, you say the round is not about him. Yet every week you see to write a story about ... more
- Pat on 'It's all about James Hird' This woman should shut her mouth as everything that comes out if it is twisted. To call her 'the first lady of football' is ... more
- dom on 'It's all about James Hird' He knows he did wrong,just didn't do anything illegal more
- Andrew on 'It's all about James Hird' Caroline Wilson is the pathetic one. This self appointed moral guardian of a game she knows nothing about is a dog with a ... more
- jason on 'It's all about James Hird' Mcg... melbourne cricket ground more
Essendon launches external investigation into 'irregular practices'
One of Australia's top executives has been called in to probe the operations of the Essendon Football club in the wake of the drug supplement scandal.
The review will be conducted by former Telstra chief Ziggy Switkowski, and comes while the club is investigated by the AFL and ASADA.
Bombers chairman David Evans has announced a "full external and independent review of governance and processes of the club."
"The Board and I are now aware of irregular practices by the club that are being investigated by ASADA and the AFL, and that is why we have decided to call an independent and external review into the governance and processes that have led to us being in the position we are today."
Read the full statement from the Essendon Football Club below.
ESSENDON CHAIRMAN STATEMENT:
Independent and external review into Essendon Football Club announced by Chairman, David Evans.
Today, the Chairman of the Essendon Football Club, Mr. David Evans, announced that the Board had signed off on a full external and independent review of governance and processes of the club.
In announcing the Review, Mr. Evans said:
“Three weeks ago, I asked for the AFL and ASADA’s assistance in reviewing the 2012 supplements program of the Essendon Football Club.
Since then, the principle concern of the Board has been to put the interests and welfare of our players first, and to do this we must ensure continued cooperation with the ASADA and AFL investigation.
While that investigation continues, I have asked our members and the public to remember that no player has tested positive for any performance enhancing substance, and it is very important for all of us to await the results of ASADA’s work.
I have been very heartened by the levels of support from members and the industry during the last three weeks. It has been overwhelmingly positive.
However, with that support comes responsibility.
The Board and I are now aware of irregular practices by the club that are beinginvestigated by ASADA and the AFL, and that is why we have decided to call an independent and external review into the governance and processes that have led to us being in the position we are today.
In announcing this review, I want to make sure that we are able to give answers to our members about what happened and why, and to put in place any changes needed to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.
The Board has appointed Dr. Ziggy Switkowski to lead this review.
Dr. Switkowski is the former CEO of Telstra and Chair of the Australian NuclearScience and Technology Organisation. He is presently the Chancellor of RMIT, Chairman of Suncorp, a member of the Board of Directors of the Business Council of Australia, and Chair of Opera Australia.
The review will also draw the expert assistance of Dr. Andrew Garnham, Specialist Sports and Exercise Physician and Clinical Senior Lecturer at the School ofExercise and Nutrition Science, and Medicine, Faculty of Health, Deakin University.
The review will start with the governance of our club, from the Board level down. The review will also investigate practices in other clubs and other sports, to measure our actions and processes against best practice.
Dr. Switkowski will be given all the resources he needs to conduct this review, and the Board will expect a report and recommendations.
We cannot commit to a firm timeline. We expect it to be completed before the ASADA investigation.
The report will be sent to the AFL Commission and to ASADA, and I expect that the recommendations will be madepublic.
Our members deserve to know what happened, and to have faith that we will take responsibility to fix any problems.
The Essendon Football Club does not belong to any one person, to any one era, to any one success. Those of us who hold positions in our club must strive to hand the club over to the next generation in a better state than we inherited it.
I ask the members and our fans for your continued support, and in particular urge you to get behind our players and your team in 2013.
3036 games, 3563 goals, 17 premierships. In 2012, the 3AW Football team is the most experienced and successful in the league. This is your home for all 3AW Footy news, views and analysis. 3AW is Football.