- 'It's time to earn back respect'
- Selwood says Menzel will return
- AFL pre-season starting to heat up
- 'You only get one chance' - Doc warns
- Mitch Clark ready to roll
- Beveridge named top Dog
- Lloyd accepts coaching role
- AFL comes round to flexible fixtures
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mary marko on Roo stands by show of support for Milne Great to see my boy Nick Riewoldt supporting a fellow teamate.As Nick has stated, he has a mother,sister and wife.l Admire ... more
- Ben on Players won't answer notices Have a look at Ahmed Saad he took it like a man accepted his mistake and didnt try to hide. Grow up Essendon players and ... more
- JK of Clayton on 'That's not a coach who looks safe' Know it all Caroline. You have had it in for James Hird and Essendon forever and a day. more
- Graham on 'That's not a coach who looks safe' If Caro is wrong and Hird is still the Coach at Round One 2015, she needs to resign as a football writer as she will no ... more
- Jason & Lissy on Suns to sack McKenna: Caro Guy Mckenna may well replace Mark Thomposn at Essendon & Mark Thompson may well replace Guy Meknna at Gold Coast Suns the ... more
- IBARKER on Mike Sheahan retires Good Luck ?? About Time. more
- Colin Lacivita on Mike Sheahan retires What are you going to do now Mike? more
- Andrew on Mike Sheahan retires All the best Mike.Hopefully Bruce McAvaney will retire as well more
- acetrim on Mike Sheahan retires I can drive my b double at 100 but not my car at 110 who sets the limits more
- Michael Patten on Mike Sheahan retires Congratulations Mike on being honest, frank and forthright. Enjoy all that you do in retirement... You have earnt it:) more
- Jill on The humble winner I was so proud of Beau Waters taking the Jimmy Stynes award for his contribution in helping his Cancer Foundation in the ... more
- Jason & Lissy on The humble winner Lissy & I are West Coast Eagles Melbourne based afns and we congratulate Matt Matt Priddis on his much deserved 2014 ... more
- Willow on The humble winner So glad that Matt had an outright win and absolutely ecstatic that it wasn't Frankin who took the prized award. more
- Bee on Boomer beats his bump ban This decision by the tribunal is nothing but a joke, here is a senior player no matter what team he plays for, in his first ... more
- alan on Lloydy names his All-Australian team Have a closer look at Eric McKenzies numbers past two years Lloydy more
- Ross on Lloydy names his All-Australian team IN: McKenzie, Priddis, Martin and JacobsOUT: Tahlia, Pendlebury, Gibbs and Sandilands more
- Scott on Lloydy names his All-Australian team No Mackenzie, No Martin, No idea more
- Gazza on Boomer slapped with one week ban The reason I don't watch afl touch footy any more more
- Jill on Boomer slapped with one week ban Why isn't football looked at as a team effort anymore? It's all about one or two players to whether a side can pull of a ... more
- Graham on Boomer slapped with one week ban Completely & utterly irresponsible action by Harvey. He has let himself, his team mates and the Supporters down. His absence ... more
Were the Saints fans too close?
Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has not taken personal offence to the St Kilda fans relentless jeering, after his sides 13-point win on Friday night.
Following the win Lyon walked through a crowd of St Kilda fans who were not afraid to express their feelings toward the man who took their club to consecutive Grand Finals in 2009 and 2010.
“The fans, they pay their coin and it’s the entertainment business” Ross Lyon told 3AW Football.
“The only difficulty for me mostly, and I was fine, but it’s a group of players (St Kilda) that you come up to for the first time. It’s been put away in a compartment, while I’ve been over in Perth, but you walk back into Etihad and it floods back a little bit.”
“But outside of that it’s water off a ducks back to be frank” Lyon said.
LISTEN BELOW: Fremantle Coach Ross Lyon on 3AW Football
Football Legend Leigh Matthews questioned if the aisles at Etihad Stadium should be widened to protect the coaches with angry St Kilda fans coming within an arms length of Lyon at the end of the game.
“When you walk up that aisle it’s very narrow, and there is really very volatile supporters within touching distance. You do wonder if they should take a couple of seats away to make those aisles wider” Matthews said.
“You are spot on” Lyon’s replied. “I remember, I think it was John Worsfold (West Coast Eagles coach) that was coming down the MCG aisle and he grabbed someone by their scarf, which was lucky for them, and then I think that they widened it.”
Lyon said that the closeness of supporters was not overly disconcerting but told 3AW Footy “it only needs one. There was a game against Essendon a couple of years ago when a couple of young people put their foot out to trip me and then they bolted.”
Ross Lyon’s next big test comes next Saturday when Fremantle line up against the Blues in Perth.
IMAGE: Sebastian Costanzo for The Age.
@3AW693 the coaches should have some kind of underground tunnel to the coaches box. Shouldn't have to go through the crowd— Brent Thomas N (@bthomas_11) April 21, 2012
@3AW693 I was there last night. Main booing I heard was directed at umpires. Crowd were fantastic. That pic shows ONE fan.— Lou (@love_lentils) April 21, 2012
3036 games, 3563 goals, 17 premierships. In 2012, the 3AW Football team is the most experienced and successful in the league. This is your home for all 3AW Footy news, views and analysis. 3AW is Football.
Matt posted 10.53am, you are at it again, what riot at the Carlton, Collingwood game and crowd violence all over the State? I'm betting that you do not support any AFL team and are probably a Soccer fan, that is where the 'riots' happen.Gloria Sunday 29 April, 2012 - 9:56 PM
Surely after all the crowd violence last year at games all over the state at all levels & the riot at the recent Carlton Collingwood game security should have been alot tighter. I would never take my kids to a Aussie Ball game due to the crowd violence & this photo just confirms my fear, look at the hatred in this guys face, scary.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Monday 23 April, 2012 - 10:53 AM
that loud mouth wanker shouting at ross could be a soccer/hockey supporter hes not a true sainter weres hes colours of support. thats typical of sat night club piss potbushiepete Monday 23 April, 2012 - 8:32 AM