- 'The boys have been pretty ordinary'
- Richo gets stuck in a lift
- Is Tom Elliott Carlton's chosen one?
- Demon to miss rest of 2014
- 'We've gone into our shells': Swann
- Sunday Roast and Sweet
- A talkback lashing from Carlton fans
- Will the 'full forward' return?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on Is Tom Elliott Carlton's chosen one? So does this mean Caaaarlton will have beige included into their colours? more
- Craig on Put the Aussie back into Aussie Rules One word BUMP!!!! It's one of the pillars of the AFL game and it's being hacked down by the commission! Doesn't stop them ... more
- David Williams on Put the Aussie back into Aussie Rules I cant stand watching this game of tackle anymore, it is a bloody joke, with players jumping into one anothers backsand ... more
- GIW on Carlton lack quality kids: Lloyd Yes,Caaarltons recruiting has been not good. Perhaps if they finish last on the ladder they could get a select recruit but ... more
- ccc on Worst crowds for 20 years Good and I hope they are down all year.The AFL want to screw the grass roots supporter by charging more for "premium" games ... more
- Gazza on Lloyd: Thanks for your service, Fletch A true legend..... more
- David T. on 'It's all about James Hird' Has it occurred to Caroline Wilson, that the middle letter of MCG is "C", for Cricket; not "F" for Football? more
- Steve on 'It's all about James Hird' Dog with a bone...Hird is probably frustrated because he cannot speak to defend himself against some fairly ordinary and ... more
- Stephen on 'It's all about James Hird' James Hird says he is counting down the days. Then says I think its less than 6 months now?Either you are counting or not! more
- Paul on 'It's all about James Hird' Really Caro, enough is enough, let it go for heavens sake.This saga is defining you, its no longer just reporting the facts ... more
- Ned on 'It's all about James Hird' Andrew, Get your facts straight James has been charged with bad governance, and punished, ( he would rather be coaching his ... more
- Gloss on 'It's all about James Hird' Am with you all the way Caro, if Hird is reinstated as coach I will never ever watch another Essendon game. more
- GIW on 'It's all about James Hird' It is all about Hird and it is a bloody disgrace that he was paid. Essendon management should be brought to account as to ... more
- Philip Maguire on 'It's all about James Hird' On the contrary it's all about Caro Wilson. Hird earned his legendary status and has retained his dignity thriughout this ... more
- Steve on 'It's all about James Hird' Hird is going to disrupt the club again this year just go away! more
- Diane on 'It's all about James Hird' There she goes again, mouthing off. Caro, you say the round is not about him. Yet every week you see to write a story about ... more
- Pat on 'It's all about James Hird' This woman should shut her mouth as everything that comes out if it is twisted. To call her 'the first lady of football' is ... more
- dom on 'It's all about James Hird' He knows he did wrong,just didn't do anything illegal more
- Andrew on 'It's all about James Hird' Caroline Wilson is the pathetic one. This self appointed moral guardian of a game she knows nothing about is a dog with a ... more
- jason on 'It's all about James Hird' Mcg... melbourne cricket ground more
Were the Saints fans too close?
Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has not taken personal offence to the St Kilda fans relentless jeering, after his sides 13-point win on Friday night.
Following the win Lyon walked through a crowd of St Kilda fans who were not afraid to express their feelings toward the man who took their club to consecutive Grand Finals in 2009 and 2010.
“The fans, they pay their coin and it’s the entertainment business” Ross Lyon told 3AW Football.
“The only difficulty for me mostly, and I was fine, but it’s a group of players (St Kilda) that you come up to for the first time. It’s been put away in a compartment, while I’ve been over in Perth, but you walk back into Etihad and it floods back a little bit.”
“But outside of that it’s water off a ducks back to be frank” Lyon said.
LISTEN BELOW: Fremantle Coach Ross Lyon on 3AW Football
Football Legend Leigh Matthews questioned if the aisles at Etihad Stadium should be widened to protect the coaches with angry St Kilda fans coming within an arms length of Lyon at the end of the game.
“When you walk up that aisle it’s very narrow, and there is really very volatile supporters within touching distance. You do wonder if they should take a couple of seats away to make those aisles wider” Matthews said.
“You are spot on” Lyon’s replied. “I remember, I think it was John Worsfold (West Coast Eagles coach) that was coming down the MCG aisle and he grabbed someone by their scarf, which was lucky for them, and then I think that they widened it.”
Lyon said that the closeness of supporters was not overly disconcerting but told 3AW Footy “it only needs one. There was a game against Essendon a couple of years ago when a couple of young people put their foot out to trip me and then they bolted.”
Ross Lyon’s next big test comes next Saturday when Fremantle line up against the Blues in Perth.
IMAGE: Sebastian Costanzo for The Age.
@3AW693 the coaches should have some kind of underground tunnel to the coaches box. Shouldn't have to go through the crowd— Brent Thomas N (@bthomas_11) April 21, 2012
@3AW693 I was there last night. Main booing I heard was directed at umpires. Crowd were fantastic. That pic shows ONE fan.— Lou (@love_lentils) April 21, 2012
3036 games, 3563 goals, 17 premierships. In 2012, the 3AW Football team is the most experienced and successful in the league. This is your home for all 3AW Footy news, views and analysis. 3AW is Football.
Matt posted 10.53am, you are at it again, what riot at the Carlton, Collingwood game and crowd violence all over the State? I'm betting that you do not support any AFL team and are probably a Soccer fan, that is where the 'riots' happen.Gloria Sunday 29 April, 2012 - 9:56 PM
Surely after all the crowd violence last year at games all over the state at all levels & the riot at the recent Carlton Collingwood game security should have been alot tighter. I would never take my kids to a Aussie Ball game due to the crowd violence & this photo just confirms my fear, look at the hatred in this guys face, scary.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Monday 23 April, 2012 - 10:53 AM
that loud mouth wanker shouting at ross could be a soccer/hockey supporter hes not a true sainter weres hes colours of support. thats typical of sat night club piss potbushiepete Monday 23 April, 2012 - 8:32 AM