- Buy, Swap & Sell: April 20
- Buy, Swap & Sell: April 19
- UFO sighting in Fawkner?
- Jim's movie cheat sheet - April 20
- New release movie reviews - April 17
- 'I just want a beer with my mates'
- Conscription or compulsory volunteering for jobless?
- Jim's cheat sheet - April 11
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mick Wood on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Well, if you can't get in by boat..... more
- Nicholas on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Whatever the inhabitants of that thing are they're surely motion sick more
- Lynsey on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Pity you were using your iPhone (asper conversation on the radio). I have a camera on the raedy by my side in the car now ... more
- the serial pest on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Mmmm...dogs barking. Crickets chirping. A fleck in the sky. Sounds like a Fawkner family's been into some backyard moonshine. more
- tracy on UFO sighting in Fawkner? bulltwang first its moving not so fast across the sky and then its stays still not way up in the sky but about human height ... more
- Graeme on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Shared on Facebook Melbourne UFO group more
- james mason on 'I just want a beer with my mates' political correctness ????Sad day for our nation that cant even trust our proud men and woman of our defence force to have a ... more
- Steve on 'I just want a beer with my mates' BIGGEST AMOUNT OF BULL TISH I HAVE EVER HEARD. BEING EX SERVICE IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WEAR MY UNIFORM AND HAVE A FEW DRINKS ... more
- Lucinda on 'I just want a beer with my mates' Surely in RSL's it should be fine, but i agree not in a licence pub in the city ie young and jacksons type of thing. Weren't ... more
- JimmyJack on 'My son has a problem with porn' What a load of tosh, sorry Tom, wasn't able to hear the call so only going on from what is here. This Susan McLean sounds ... more
- ian on 'My son has a problem with porn' Lack of parental control. more
- David R on 'My son has a problem with porn' Should a government issued/sanction laptop come installed with the Government supported/paid-for Internet protection ... more
- Tony voorhaar on Man comes forward over dooring When are people and gov't going to learn bikes and cars don't mix. Get rid of the bikes. more
- Christine on Man comes forward over dooring Again the minority are the loudest. The roads are for cars, who pay to be on the roads. I feel sorry for the people ... more
- Dingoes Breakfast on Man comes forward over dooring No cyclist should be allowed to ride on public roads without paying 3rd party insurance to the government and registration ... more
- LukeB on Man comes forward over dooring Actually, that footage is exactly what happens when a bike rider kicks the door of a car, or punches a car driver ... more
- Luke on Man comes forward over dooring Bike riders are near impossible to see & they also don't watch where they are going or pre-empt any trouble. They are their ... more
- Joanne on Man comes forward over dooring There will be no winners here. 1. Should the taxi driver have been allowed to let a passenger depart the vehicle from that ... more
- Lee on Man comes forward over dooring They are all in the wrong here. Cyclist shouldn't have been riding in the gutter, but since she was she should have gone a ... more
- Lukew on Man comes forward over dooring I think the rider should bear some of the responsibility here. If I was riding my bike in that situation, I would be ... more
Racist picks a fight with a cage fighting champion
When did it become so provocative, such a crime, to speak in a foreign language in public in Melbourne?
Brazilian-born Aussie Gustavo Falciroli was on the South Morang train when he spoke to a friend in Portuguese. A man came up to him, told him ‘It was not his country’ and then threatened to cut and rape him, his wife and two children.
All that, because this naturalised Aussie spoken in a public place in a foreign language – that’s it.
Gustavo Falciroli after he became an Australian citizen in August this year. (Photo: Facebook)>
Mr Falciroli did not create a scene or an incident. He wisely got off the train, then alerted Police and the man was later apprehended.
The irony in all this, this boofhead racist, unbeknownst to him, had actually abused a man who could have made him pay for being such a drop kick.
You see, Gustavo is a cage fighting champion and a former Jiu Jitsu world champion.
The racist had no idea who he had tackled, he just heard a foreign language and engaged his foul mouth – and that’s the point.
This is the second time in a month we've heard that a person talking in a foreign language has been abused on public transport. Remember the French woman being lambasted for signing a song on a bus – that video went viral.
I don’t understand why people speaking a foreign language are being targeted. When I grew up, it was commonplace to hear Greeks and Italians talking in their own language in shops, on trains, even at the footy. No one cared; it added to the colour of our city. Still does.
For his part, Gustavo Falciroli walked away from this confrontation on the train. He showed grace, dignity and decency; Great Australian qualities.
I would hope he’s proven he’s a far greater Aussie than the boofhead who abused him.
LISTEN: Gustavo Falciroli with Nick McCallum:
Dandy Dave is an IdiotMark Wednesday 19 December, 2012 - 11:53 AM
Grace , dignity and decency; great Australian qualities.
Since when? What does that mean? How about Thailand? How about Canada? How about so many countries all around the planet? Every time bad behaviour of some sort hits the news, idiots comment about the behaviour not being Australian. The notion is jingoistically racist. Idiots.Eddy Tuesday 18 December, 2012 - 7:30 AM
Your a good man Gustavo!
Your actions prove that you are a REAL MAN by ignoring this pathetic coward.
( Although I would have loved to have seen his face if you had taken it further)Cam Monday 17 December, 2012 - 8:05 PM
speak english is right. I agree with you. Since when did Australia become a multi-lingual country? What's the national language of Australia - it's english isn't it?. Perhaps if media like 3AW stuck up for their country more often Australia wouldn't be in the mess it is today.dandy dave Monday 17 December, 2012 - 3:20 PM
who cares what he was saying to his mate, it was none of that guys business to approach him. Good on you Gustavotina Monday 17 December, 2012 - 1:33 PM
Well done Gustavo we need people like you in Australia im glad you became a Australian citizen
feel free to travel on the Pakenham line any timedennis frazer Monday 17 December, 2012 - 8:53 AM