- Highlights of Melbourne International Film Festival
- Interview: Outrage vs Facts
- New release movie reviews, July 31
- 'What national symbol do we have?'
- 'Once My Mother' - Sophia Turkiewicz
- Jim's movie cheat sheet, July 25
- Critical Incident Response Team
- Miranda Otto: Reaching for the part
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Chris Padley on Critical Incident Response Team Congratulations on a different way of dealing with these situations. I as a Psych Nurse in an acute Psychiatric Unit ... more
- Aj on Eatery denies racial profiling claims On 8th Feb this year, Il Dom promoted Indigenous culture on their Facebook page. Not long after, promoted West African ... more
- Helen Tyack on Eatery denies racial profiling claims This girl is doing her best to try to destroy a business, based on assumptions, not evidence. The Facebook page is pure ... more
- Blake on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My Local chineese restaurant wouldn't take my order at 5pm. They open at 6pm but surely they were being racist to me because ... more
- Jester4212 on Eatery denies racial profiling claims Tabbi Teklemariam is obviously out on some kind of vendetta. Total overreaction to situation. Especially playing the race ... more
- Nick on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My local Chinese restaurant wouldn't take my order at midnight the other night. surely it's a case of racism. What else ... more
- mylene on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' If you point a camera at most people they couldn't even remember their name let alone explain complex political policies. ... more
- Gloria on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' Yes, watched Mikes' sessions with these Nuff Nuffs, hard to believe that there is so many gullible people out there that ... more
- Big Al on Jim's Cheat Sheet - May 23 Some films are so good that a sequel can never enhance, only detract. I hope that "Blade Runner" is left alone so we can ... more
- Factsseeker on Labor pledges domestic violence inquiry Every male policemen in Victoria knows what world statistics now show, that women are just as violent as men when it comes ... more
- mylene on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Doesn't effect me in the slightest and I'm the $80K+, single Labor voter that the coalition hates. Better luck next time, ... more
- Matt on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget We have had our 6th child 4 days ago and have budgeted well for however we did not expect Abbott to lie so badly. As a ... more
- Os on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Hi,I just want someone to answer me what is going to happen to those people live overseas and get disability pension. I ... more
- Mick Wood on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Well, if you can't get in by boat..... more
- Nicholas on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Whatever the inhabitants of that thing are they're surely motion sick more
- Lynsey on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Pity you were using your iPhone (asper conversation on the radio). I have a camera on the raedy by my side in the car now ... more
- the serial pest on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Mmmm...dogs barking. Crickets chirping. A fleck in the sky. Sounds like a Fawkner family's been into some backyard moonshine. more
- tracy on UFO sighting in Fawkner? bulltwang first its moving not so fast across the sky and then its stays still not way up in the sky but about human height ... more
- Graeme on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Shared on Facebook Melbourne UFO group more
- james mason on 'I just want a beer with my mates' political correctness ????Sad day for our nation that cant even trust our proud men and woman of our defence force to have a ... more
Racist picks a fight with a cage fighting champion
When did it become so provocative, such a crime, to speak in a foreign language in public in Melbourne?
Brazilian-born Aussie Gustavo Falciroli was on the South Morang train when he spoke to a friend in Portuguese. A man came up to him, told him ‘It was not his country’ and then threatened to cut and rape him, his wife and two children.
All that, because this naturalised Aussie spoken in a public place in a foreign language – that’s it.
Gustavo Falciroli after he became an Australian citizen in August this year. (Photo: Facebook)>
Mr Falciroli did not create a scene or an incident. He wisely got off the train, then alerted Police and the man was later apprehended.
The irony in all this, this boofhead racist, unbeknownst to him, had actually abused a man who could have made him pay for being such a drop kick.
You see, Gustavo is a cage fighting champion and a former Jiu Jitsu world champion.
The racist had no idea who he had tackled, he just heard a foreign language and engaged his foul mouth – and that’s the point.
This is the second time in a month we've heard that a person talking in a foreign language has been abused on public transport. Remember the French woman being lambasted for signing a song on a bus – that video went viral.
I don’t understand why people speaking a foreign language are being targeted. When I grew up, it was commonplace to hear Greeks and Italians talking in their own language in shops, on trains, even at the footy. No one cared; it added to the colour of our city. Still does.
For his part, Gustavo Falciroli walked away from this confrontation on the train. He showed grace, dignity and decency; Great Australian qualities.
I would hope he’s proven he’s a far greater Aussie than the boofhead who abused him.
LISTEN: Gustavo Falciroli with Nick McCallum:
Dandy Dave is an IdiotMark Wednesday 19 December, 2012 - 11:53 AM
Grace , dignity and decency; great Australian qualities.
Since when? What does that mean? How about Thailand? How about Canada? How about so many countries all around the planet? Every time bad behaviour of some sort hits the news, idiots comment about the behaviour not being Australian. The notion is jingoistically racist. Idiots.Eddy Tuesday 18 December, 2012 - 7:30 AM
Your a good man Gustavo!
Your actions prove that you are a REAL MAN by ignoring this pathetic coward.
( Although I would have loved to have seen his face if you had taken it further)Cam Monday 17 December, 2012 - 8:05 PM
speak english is right. I agree with you. Since when did Australia become a multi-lingual country? What's the national language of Australia - it's english isn't it?. Perhaps if media like 3AW stuck up for their country more often Australia wouldn't be in the mess it is today.dandy dave Monday 17 December, 2012 - 3:20 PM
who cares what he was saying to his mate, it was none of that guys business to approach him. Good on you Gustavotina Monday 17 December, 2012 - 1:33 PM
Well done Gustavo we need people like you in Australia im glad you became a Australian citizen
feel free to travel on the Pakenham line any timedennis frazer Monday 17 December, 2012 - 8:53 AM