- Parks Victoria authorises deer cull
- Woman struck down by bus
- Golden night for Aussies at the Oscars
- Jim's movie poster parodies
- 'Leave it to the professionals'
- New release movie reviews - February 27
- Day 14: My final day in Sochi
- Day 13: Sochi souvenirs
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Steve on Parks Victoria authorises deer cull Let's hope this is well supervised or someone will be shot. more
- Gloss on Woman struck down by bus Is there a pedestrian crossing there? I am continually amazed at people who cross busy roads without looking and Sydney Road ... more
- Luke on Parks Victoria authorises deer cull Wait for all the bleeding hearts declaring that we shouldn't be culling off "native" animals. And why we shouldn't just buy ... more
- Mandi on Jim's movie poster parodies I admire John Jarrett for his acting he played a notorious role in wolf Creek I'm yet to see the Wolf Creek 2 .Savages ... more
- Lukew on Telstra axes 800 jobs As long as we have this incessant drive for growth there will be constant pressure on jobs. Since growth drives the CEO's ... more
- Liz on Telstra axes 800 jobs This is becoming absolutely ridiculous. What are we suppose to do to put out food on the table.I'm a mum and my husband was ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Telstra axes 800 jobs @Craig. This is the outcome of years and years of damned rorting by Unions in Australia. Look at the ridiculous pay rates ... more
- Craig on Telstra axes 800 jobs Abbott says we are open for Business ...but all Businesses are leaving and going offshore...we are becoming a country of ... more
- Esther on Daily blog from Sochi Maybe a little late, but check her out on youtube - she's good! more
- biggles on 100,000 trout dying in poor water cruelity more
- Darryl Luttrell on 100,000 trout dying in poor water This will be a blight on governments and corporates if this internationally known Trout water and environmental wonder is ... more
- Nick on Officers heavy-handed with frail man Why is it we see these types of videos every week of a ticket officer being way over the top? These guys get given a tiny ... more
- Mark on Daily blog from Sochi Hang on, is that the journo ice skating in that video??! That's impressive! more
- Ivan@kinnane on Channel Seven axes Today Tonight Flashback to Feb 2013: Neil Mitchell interviews Helen Kapalos about her then dumping by Network Ten. Helen describes it as ... more
- Greg on Channel Seven axes Today Tonight About time,and Channel 9 should axe that other Ambulance Chaser A Current Affair. more
- IVFDad on Couples rush to 'quick fix' IVF Other than medical reasons, the lack of laws for IVF children and families is the biggest threat to the well-being of IVF ... more
- Ian N on New law is needed to stop one-punch ... Can we make it a condition of bail/parole if they blame alcohol that they must be zero BAC for ten years after being ... more
- bc on New law is needed to stop one-punch ... robert clark what a joke he is people are getting king hit by thugs and clark gives them 4 years if thats the case somebody ... more
- andy on New law is needed to stop one-punch ... so all night transport on weekends is part of the solution to these cowardsme thinks BULLTISH" will i or won't leave someone ... more
- Tony on 'Farewell and goodluck, Justin' Do the Sydney audience realise that Justin is NOT Rob Sitch?! more
Shocking report outs US soldiers
Soldiers charged with murdering three Afghan men are (from left) Andrew Holmes, Michael Wagnon, Jeremy Morlock and Adam Winfield.
FIVE US soldiers deliberately killed Afghan civilians with grenades before photographing the corpses and keeping body parts as trophies, say Pentagon investigators.
A 25-year-old sergeant, Calvin Gibbs, was the alleged ringleader, reportedly joking about how easy it would be to ''toss a grenade at someone and kill them'', US Army charge sheets have revealed.
The five soldiers are charged with murdering three Afghan men and forming a ''kill team''. After blowing up and shooting the Afghans, the soldiers allegedly took photos of the bodies before souveniring fingers, leg bones and a skull, later discovered among the soldiers' possessions.
Another seven soldiers face charges of helping to cover up the killings and over the bashing of a soldier who had blown the whistle on the rogue unit by reporting other abuses including the regular smoking of hashish stolen from civilians.
The troops belonged to a Stryker infantry brigade based in Kandahar province, where the killings occurred earlier this year.
The brigade, which has had dozens of combat deaths during its deployment, was operating within a Taliban stronghold where US command has been anxious to win the hearts and minds of the locals.
News of the killings emerged in May when the army investigated the bashing of a soldier who had reported the drug use to his superiors.
But the army charge documents released on Wednesday provide more details about the case.
Gibbs had threatened to kill the soldier if he continued with his complaints, further threatening him by showing him fingers cut from an Afghan corpse. The five soldiers have been detained since June at an army facility near Seattle, Washington.
CBS News on Wednesday described those involved in the killings as belonging to ''the platoon from hell'', equating the alleged crimes to the abuses by US troops at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad in 2004 during the occupation of Iraq.
Michael O'Hanlon, a foreign policy expert at the Brookings Institution in Washington DC, told the network: ''This is the kind of thing that hurts us enormously. It will have a disproportionate effect, just like Abu Ghraib did. Just like any such incident. Just like the Koran burning would in Florida.''
Gibbs apparently started talking about targeting civilians in December, claiming it would be easy to commit such a crime undetected.
According to statements collected by investigators and first reported by The Seattle Times, one soldier responded that the idea was crazy. Another testified that he thought Gibbs was probably ''feeling out the platoon''.
But eventually, Gibbs formed what one called a ''kill team'' to execute at random Afghan civilians while on patrol. No motive was discussed.
His lawyer said Gibbs, from Billings, Montana, denied being part of any conspiracy and claimed the deaths were all ''appropriate engagements''.
Gibbs and Specialist Jeremy Morlock, 22, of Wasilla, Alaska, are charged with three counts each of premeditated murder and one count of assault. Three other soldiers face one count of murder each. All five face life in prison, or death, if convicted.
Morlock has made extensive statements to investigators but his lawyer is contesting their admissibility, claiming they were made under the influence of prescription drugs taken for head injuries sustained in battle.
The three Afghan civilians were killed near the army's Forward Operating Base Ramrod in southern Afghanistan.
Morlock told investigators that to kill one of the men, he had thrown a grenade given to him by Gibbs over a low wall in a field. Another soldier told investigators that Morlock then had ordered him to fire over the wall, but he was unsure if he hit anyone. The soldier also said Morlock had threatened his life if he told anyone.
The charges will be considered later this month by a military grand jury, which will decide if there is enough evidence for a court martial.
Matt, DON'T refer to people in this country as "us"~! You're not an Australian or part of this country, so don't pretend to be otherwise~! You're a "proudly un-Australian" racist warmonger/Muslim who uses every opportunity to make personal attacks against Israelis living happily in this country (their home)~! Typical slimy two-faced back stabber~! The burning of the Qur'an in the US & elsewhere is not about religion, it's a united symbolic gesture of people everywhere saying we've had a gutful of Muslim migration PERIOD~! You contribute nothing positive to any country that has facilitated migration. Your whole focus in life is to undermine Christian democracy~! Typical Muslim response to everything - if you can't change it, kill it~! Muslims are a threat to world peace & stability. Send the CRAP back to where they belong~!Lenny Sunday 12 September, 2010 - 5:37 AM
Matt, if you're so "proudly un-Australian" then NICK OFF. STOP breathing our air, eating our food and using our water, like a PARASITE!!Mao Sunday 12 September, 2010 - 1:47 AM
Hey Lenny, tell that thing about "not killing innocent civilians" to the families of the 9/11 victims, ya Bolshi.Mao Saturday 11 September, 2010 - 10:56 PM
The second most evil country on the planet behind Israel & us fools march to their sick tune.Matt -proudly Un-Australian Saturday 11 September, 2010 - 1:01 PM
Vietnam all over again. Remember the (excuse the spelling)Melie massacre?peter petterson Saturday 11 September, 2010 - 12:43 PM
Mao is your typical military 'gung-ho' psycho who would struggle to pass a military psychological test~!Lenny Saturday 11 September, 2010 - 8:03 AM