- Sir Ben talks Attenborough and trolls
- New release movie reviews, Sept 11
- Jim's movie cheat sheet - August 29
- New release film reviews - August 28
- VIDEO: The Inbetweeners
- 'God looked after the whole thing'
- New release movie reviews - August 14
- Melbourne secures David Bowie exhibition
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kim on 3AW Online Community GARAGE SALE- SATURDAY 30TH AUGUST 9.00-1.00. Huge moving house sale- we have formal dining setting & matching sideboard, ... more
- Doncaster Corps on 3AW Online Community Doncaster Salvation Army is again hosting a wonderful musical experience at the 3rd Annual Salvo Festival of Community ... more
- Phil Jamonts on 3AW Online Community GARAGE SALE - Ferntree GullySat 23rd Aug 8am - 2pm1/9 Fitzgerald St, FTGElectrical Contractor going out of buisnees. Many ... more
- sylvia on 'Once My Mother' - Sophia Turkiewicz I've just watched the movie in the cinema, it was a very well told story that brought me to tears. Haven't seen such a good ... more
- Anita Payne on 3AW Online Community â??Spring Art & Craft Exhibitionâ??Highlands Retirement Village in Craigieburn, Victoria are holding an Art & Craft ... more
- Suzie Martens on 3AW Online Community Brighton Theatre CompanyNew play...Chilling and Killing of Annabel Lee...from 21 August to 6 September. Book online: ... more
- Gael Tomamichel on 3AW Online Community Garage SaleSaturday 16th August15 Helen St Frankston9am til 3pm no early callersWe are downsizingHousehold goods, sporting ... more
- Kyra Fennell on 3AW Online Community Garage Sale. 17 Bradford Avenue Greenvale, 3059.Saturday 16th of August. 9am-3pm.Clothing, kitchen appliances, outdoor ... more
- Kyra Fennell on 3AW Online Community Garage Sale.Saturday 16th of August9am-3pm.Clothing, household appliances, outdoor furniture and more. more
- Chris Padley on Critical Incident Response Team Congratulations on a different way of dealing with these situations. I as a Psych Nurse in an acute Psychiatric Unit ... more
- Aj on Eatery denies racial profiling claims On 8th Feb this year, Il Dom promoted Indigenous culture on their Facebook page. Not long after, promoted West African ... more
- Helen Tyack on Eatery denies racial profiling claims This girl is doing her best to try to destroy a business, based on assumptions, not evidence. The Facebook page is pure ... more
- Blake on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My Local chineese restaurant wouldn't take my order at 5pm. They open at 6pm but surely they were being racist to me because ... more
- Jester4212 on Eatery denies racial profiling claims Tabbi Teklemariam is obviously out on some kind of vendetta. Total overreaction to situation. Especially playing the race ... more
- Nick on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My local Chinese restaurant wouldn't take my order at midnight the other night. surely it's a case of racism. What else ... more
- mylene on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' If you point a camera at most people they couldn't even remember their name let alone explain complex political policies. ... more
- Gloria on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' Yes, watched Mikes' sessions with these Nuff Nuffs, hard to believe that there is so many gullible people out there that ... more
- Big Al on Jim's Cheat Sheet - May 23 Some films are so good that a sequel can never enhance, only detract. I hope that "Blade Runner" is left alone so we can ... more
- Factsseeker on Labor pledges domestic violence inquiry Every male policemen in Victoria knows what world statistics now show, that women are just as violent as men when it comes ... more
- mylene on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Doesn't effect me in the slightest and I'm the $80K+, single Labor voter that the coalition hates. Better luck next time, ... more
Should political parties and business groups have a quota system for women?
With women under-represented in both Victorian and Federal parliaments, former Federal Liberal Party Senator Judith Troeth has called on the party to ensure more females were encouraged to stand for election.
Speaking with Tom Elliott, Judith Troeth who was Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry between 1997 and 2004, said she had suggested in 2010 that the Liberal Party introduce a quota system for women.
Should business groups and political parties have quota systems to guarantee more women are represented? Comment below
"For all of my political life, both inside the party and in parliament, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to see more women in Parliament," she said.
"There have been brief bursts of activity but I think the will is not there for larger numbers of women to come into parliament."
However Tom Elliott disagreed with merits of a gender quota system, saying once the quota precedent was set for women, other groups such as homosexuals and different ethnic groups would also be entitled to a quota.
"I do think that you should pick the right person to do the job, irrespective of gender," he said.
In the Victorian Legislative Council and Legislative Assembly which combined have 128 Members of Parliament, the Liberal Party is represented by 15 women and the ALP is represented by 24 women.
In Federal Parliament, of the 226 Members of Parliament in the House of Representative and Senate, the Liberal Party is represented by 19 women while the ALP is represented by 38.
LISTEN: Judith Troeth speaks with Tom Elliott:
@ No Quota - you are spot on! Everywhere you look the quota system has loaded organisations with bitchy women even the magistracy, the civil service, police, military and so on it goes even by Gillard trashing a white woman and replacing her with another just because she wanted an aboriginal person in the job. It is bloody blatant 'legalised' discrimination indeed.Sandra M Saturday 26 January, 2013 - 12:50 PM
Please excuse me 3AW: Bloody Hell "mylene"; I've just agreed with you. Am I going insane? Oh there is another alternative (thank Heaven): You might be moving slightly to the right. (I hope) Thanks 3AW.David T. Friday 25 January, 2013 - 5:34 PM
Absolutely and categorically, not. A quota? We are trying to improve the quality of our politicians. Merit must be the criteria. Whether that results in a female or male politician is immaterial. Unfortunately, our current "leaders" seem to feel the pay rises they have received with quality improvement the aim, is some reward for their incompetence.David T. Friday 25 January, 2013 - 4:31 PM
No way should there be a quota based on gender. Where you went to school and who your parents are however ... :pmylene Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 8:19 PM
Please name one good female politician (on either side) past or present. Certainly the former female state premiers and the current prime minister are and were, totally incompetent. This has nothing to do with gender...but fact. Many males are useless too of course.....Graeme Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:19 AM
One is either capable of doing a job or not. That is called merit. Merit is not defined by sex, religion nor ethnicity. However, merit according to those who support "positive discrimination", is not a prerequisite in selecting people for employment or education. The education system and employment system already practices sexual and racial discrimination. White men and women, regardless of their qualifications are routinely bypassed in (racial) preference to Australian indigenous people where it is POLICY to fill these indigenous quotas. The same perverse morality exists, blatantly, where men's qualifications are ignored in favour, by the plainly sexist policies of quotas, of less qualified women. There is no such thing as positive discrimination, only discrimination. And consider this....how does the indigenous person, or the women feel when they know that they have been installed ahead of better qualified persons purely by virtue of their sex or race? If you'd like to go one step further, from a human rights perspective where all people are to be considered equal, where do the practices and wishes of these pro quota types fit? Their notions are racist and sexist.Eddy Monday 21 January, 2013 - 10:24 PM