- 'I just want a beer with my mates'
- Conscription or compulsory volunteering for jobless?
- Jim's cheat sheet - April 11
- 'Assistants can't do a nurse's job'
- Harrison Craig sings L-O-V-E live
- Ela's Woodland House review
- Ela’s Victoria for visitors
- New release movie reviews - April 10
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- james mason on 'I just want a beer with my mates' political correctness ????Sad day for our nation that cant even trust our proud men and woman of our defence force to have a ... more
- Steve on 'I just want a beer with my mates' BIGGEST AMOUNT OF BULL TISH I HAVE EVER HEARD. BEING EX SERVICE IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WEAR MY UNIFORM AND HAVE A FEW DRINKS ... more
- Lucinda on 'I just want a beer with my mates' Surely in RSL's it should be fine, but i agree not in a licence pub in the city ie young and jacksons type of thing. Weren't ... more
- JimmyJack on 'My son has a problem with porn' What a load of tosh, sorry Tom, wasn't able to hear the call so only going on from what is here. This Susan McLean sounds ... more
- ian on 'My son has a problem with porn' Lack of parental control. more
- David R on 'My son has a problem with porn' Should a government issued/sanction laptop come installed with the Government supported/paid-for Internet protection ... more
- Tony voorhaar on Man comes forward over dooring When are people and gov't going to learn bikes and cars don't mix. Get rid of the bikes. more
- Christine on Man comes forward over dooring Again the minority are the loudest. The roads are for cars, who pay to be on the roads. I feel sorry for the people ... more
- Dingoes Breakfast on Man comes forward over dooring No cyclist should be allowed to ride on public roads without paying 3rd party insurance to the government and registration ... more
- LukeB on Man comes forward over dooring Actually, that footage is exactly what happens when a bike rider kicks the door of a car, or punches a car driver ... more
- Luke on Man comes forward over dooring Bike riders are near impossible to see & they also don't watch where they are going or pre-empt any trouble. They are their ... more
- Joanne on Man comes forward over dooring There will be no winners here. 1. Should the taxi driver have been allowed to let a passenger depart the vehicle from that ... more
- Lee on Man comes forward over dooring They are all in the wrong here. Cyclist shouldn't have been riding in the gutter, but since she was she should have gone a ... more
- Lukew on Man comes forward over dooring I think the rider should bear some of the responsibility here. If I was riding my bike in that situation, I would be ... more
- choppy on Man comes forward over dooring the guy sells toys and sporting equipment for leading brands...including bicycles! Acted like a pig. Perhaps he should ride ... more
- Richard on Man comes forward over dooring Its rule 140 about unsafe overtaking , just before the 141 that cyclists like to quote. Maybe read all the rules, not just ... more
- Richard on Man comes forward over dooring Shouldn't the cyclist be charged with unsafe overtaking? If it had been a motorcyclist that would be the charge (and ... more
- paul on Man comes forward over dooring No suprise that all the do gooder cyclists start calling normal everyday people with opinions red necks, yes the men were ... more
- Mandy on Man comes forward over dooring Why is it an offence when the cyclist passed on the inside of a stopped vehicle? So many times cyclists pass up the left ... more
- Cam on Man comes forward over dooring I'm sorry but the cyclist should have had the foresight to know that if a taxi stops then a door is more than likely to ... more
Spida Everitt inflames the issue
UPDATE: Media commentator and former AFL star Peter Everitt has responded to criticism of his tweets by 3AW's Neil Mitchell by implying they've been taken out of context.
This morning, Everitt arguably attacked the alleged victim in the sexual assault case police are investigating which involves a complaint made against at least one Collingwood footballer.
Neil Mitchell told Everit to 'grow up!' after reading the tweet: "Girls!! When will you learn! At 3am when you are blind drunk & you decide to go home with a guy ITS NOT FOR A CUP OF MILO! Allegedly......"
At 3:20pm, Everitt posted five tweets where he accuses Mitchell of taking 'poetic license' in delivering the editorial you can hear in the media player above.
"1 of 5 neil mitchell has taken poetic licence to interpret my words to mean I support matters regarding sexual offences in favour of"
"2/5 the perpertrator. This is so far from the truth it is laughable. I can not and will not ever support female abuse in any manner or form"
"3/5 my comments are solely aimed at warning females of the danger of being drunk or under the influence of drugs. I do not condone any"
"4/5 actions that lead to or may lead to a sexual offence being committed."
"5/5 thank you!"
Even before his five-tweet defence, Everitt posted other tweets since he first came under fire this morning on the 3AW website which in order of appearance said:
"As my tweet states very clearly everything is alleged"
"I never said I support rape infact if u look I have never mentioned the word rape"
"Clearly a lot of u are not reading my tweets correctlym"
EARLIER: After Neil Mitchell criticised the Collingwood players for allowing themselves to be filmed drinking and partying in the wake of very serious sexual allegations alleged against one of the club's players, the 3AW host has uncovered another example of a man connected to the footy world 'just not getting it'.
Former AFL star Peter 'Spida' Everitt has posted two tweets on his site http://twitter.com/spidaeveritt, which one can reasonably assume are linked to the woman who has filed a complaint with Victoria Police against at least one Collingwood player.
The Tweet credited to Everitt that is most damning says: "Girls!! When will you learn! At 3am when you are blind drunk & you decide to go home with a guy ITS NOT FOR A CUP OF MILO! Allegedly......"
This comment, posted around 10am today, comes on the back of allegations reported in The Australian newspaper which suggest a Collingwood footballer being investigated for taking part in an alleged pack sexual assault.
The attack allegedly occurred at a home in Dorcas Street South Melbourne in the early hours of Sunday morning and the newspaper's reporting it allegedly involved the Collingwood player, the woman's boyfriend and several other men.
The paper's reporting the boyfriend urged her to have sex with the Premiership player and the others then forced their way into the bedroom.
The woman - a University student - has been medically examined as police compile their case.
Items from the South Melbourne address, including bedsheets and condoms, have also been taken away for forensic testing.
Everitt's Twitter account is followed by more than 1,300 people, which includes media representatives and footy fans.
3AW is seeking an explanation from Everitt.
Surprise, surprise women are hearing the same messages again: make a stupid decision or trust the wrong man and: 1) it is ok for a man to assault you, 2) any assault is not his fault, but yours, 3) Get ready for scorn and vilification for daring to contact the police.
The scorn we direct towards other cultures and the way they treat women is misplaced.Jaytee Friday 8 October, 2010 - 8:56 PM
If you drink and drive, kill someone on the road do you think the judge would say it was not your fault because you were drunk?
So what makes this any different?
What if the guy is drunk as well and can't tell how drunk the girl is? Is it still his fault or can he say she took advantage of him because he was drunk?
C'mon people. Using alcohol as an excuse is pathetic.
If you cannot control yourself when you get drunk then control the amount you drink. Simple.
If a girl gets tipsy or drunk, accepts an invitation from a stranger to go to his place, thus putting herself in that position why blame the guy? When are women going to take responsibility for their own behaviour?
So they are both drunk but it's the guys fault. Am I the only one who sees what is wrong with this statement?Peggy Thursday 7 October, 2010 - 9:13 PM
3aw should sack that bloke by the name of NEIL MITCHELL.
3AW Has lost about 50,000 listlessness. I will not turn on to 3aw ever again.
HATE MITCHEL HATE MITCHELLTony Inter Thursday 7 October, 2010 - 4:07 PM
i have 3 daughters and they all go out with their friends and drink alcohol. have allways told them that alcohol takes away your good judgement, and do not tell me you got blind and woke up in some footballers or any other mans bed, dont have much sympathy for thses girls who wake up ashamed, hungover and cry rapelorraine Thursday 7 October, 2010 - 3:41 PM
Let's stop talking about sexual assault and just call it ASSAULT!
Now, ask yourself if it is possible to dress, act, speak in such a way as to be asking for ASSAULT? Do women ask to be attacked and assaulted if they are drunk, or young, or naive? When is it, according to the Spida and others, acceptable and okay to assault a woman? Under what circumstances is a physical assault against a woman justified?
Is the penny starting to drop for you morons yet...?Justine Thursday 7 October, 2010 - 8:17 AM
No where have I seen or heard that this woman was under the influence of anything. Why does everyone think that is what has allegedly happen? Why the hell didnâ??t her so called boyfriend stop the alleged attack from happening? People can sometimes find them self in situation that they are unable to get them self out of, even without the affect of drugs or alcohol. It may be out of fear or pressure from another party. None of you know (including me) what has taken place, except for the people that where there. If it had have been anybody but footballers involved would it even be in the media?jill Wednesday 6 October, 2010 - 7:07 PM