- Video interview: Mr Pip director Andrew Adamson
- Jim's cheat sheet - November 9
- This fish is worth $10,000
- Photos: Oaks Day 2013
- Card Pop: How much was your outfit?
- Photo gallery: The beautiful people - from the birdcage
- Gallery: Melbourne Cup day 2013
- 2013 Melbourne Cup Preview
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jack on Photos: Oaks Day 2013 red white and black print, stunning. What brand is it more
- Clare Harrison on Photos: Oaks Day 2013 I think it great and they all look that are having a wonderful time more
- Lyn Martin on The Castlereagh Line Has Castlereagh Line finished? I thought last time Keith had it on it finished differently. more
- Joy Matthews on The Castlereagh Line Can you tell me if the Castlereagh Line is finished. I heard the last episode repeated twice and then nothing last ... more
- Craig on In search of Labor's new hero It's not the end of the world for Labor. Abbott is the Libs 3rd leader & only won his leadership by 1 vote. And the Libs ... more
- IAN on In search of Labor's new hero Who want to lead the LABOR Party. more
- PJ on In search of Labor's new hero You forgot Gillard, whose having secret meetings in Canberra with her old guard. more
- Lisa on In search of Labor's new hero They will be in opposition a long time if they don't get rid of factions, fighting, deals, unions and anyone who has been ... more
- jgl Melb on In search of Labor's new hero Shouldn't it read "She has NO trouble standing up to both sides?" As for fakery personified Rudd the first words uttered on ... more
- andrew portway on In search of Labor's new hero New labor leader?, we have had the female leader, how good was that?! we've now got Cartman(south park) revisited they now ... more
- mylene on In search of Labor's new hero I'll leave it up to the Indonesians and the Chinese to get rid of Mr Rabbit. Labor can take a nice long holiday and sit back ... more
- IAN on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon The big "OOOOOO" a small person to me.? will pay with his job. more
- Ivan@kinnane on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Get a life! more
- Libnet on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon I think Essendon need to stand firm....I believe in doing this the AFL and ASADA will take a look at their whole structure, ... more
- Christine on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Yeah it's most inconvenient Essendon daring to challenge the allegations. Let's roll to keep the media and AFL happy. I'd ... more
- pam on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon LaurenVery proud of you--as Essendon supporter for 64 years I fear the possible demise (Yes demise), players don't wish to ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 3On Sunday I am going to go to the GWS v Richmond game and farewell a great of Essendon and Richmond for that matter in ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 2I have endured as you have said, having to defend Essendon to friends, family and co-workers. When I get text messages ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 1Thank you for your article Lauren, I think you have expressed exactly how many of us Essendon supporters feel. I am a ... more
- Jacoby on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon YES! more
Streetwise - Topics and Links
PROTECTING AGAINST BUSHFIRES
There needs to be intelligent intervention. Good science. Understanding the implications of living in the bush. And providing local solutions to protect people and property in high fire risk areas.
We need to plan better, for people, their property, and how we protect them.
VCAT say they make planning decisions better and faster. Maybe they can, but lets be fair – VCAT’s the umpire. They’re making decisions on rules.
Lets get to the bottom of it, who makes the rules? And how are these rules affecting us?
ROAD PRICES AND CONGESTION TAX
I think its coming – road use charges, congestion area parking, tolls, high occupancy lanes.
They’re all directed to ease the congestion. Stand by for road pricing? In an ideal world we’d all be walking, riding a bike or taking public transport. At the moment the car remains king.
Here’s a snapshot: Vehicles in public reserves, building materials and rubble, advertising and bill posting. What about model aeroplanes. Keeping dogs, cats, pigeons, poultry and horses. Busking, building over easements, planting on nature strips, polluting storm water drains.
Do I need to go on?
Okay, overdue library books, smoking, animal litter…
Yep, they’re called local laws this week on Streetwise I’ll give you valuable advice. Be careful - if you don’t follow them, expect an infringement notice or enforcement.
What do you check before you buy a property? Do you measure the site, inspect the building, talk to the neighbours, get a history of the place? There’s so much to take in.
Does anyone check the property complies with local planning and building regulations?
This week on Streetwise I’ll give you valuable advice on checking a house before you buy.
STRONGER, HEALTHIER AND BETTER COMMUNITIES
We want communities with character, peace and quiet, amenity, accessibility to work and play…
Is our government delivering?
Streetwise will give you valuable advice on what builds stronger, healthier and better communities for us to live, work and play in.
LETS GET PHYSICAL
How far is the nearest local park to you. Do you walk, ride, go for a swim?
How easy is it for us to get physical in our own neighbourhood and enjoy the benefits of exercise? Do planners and government provide good public open space in your neighbourhood?
Streetwise talks to everyday people throughout Victoria wondering what to do, who to turn to and who to deal with bureaucratic red tape of councils and state governments. Big House gives valuable advice to listeners on DIY in and projects around the house. Big House can help you with all your renovations, extension and running repairs at home.
Hi you had builders on Saturday 20 July - beginning with F - can you tll m who they are?Rita Sunday 21 July, 2013 - 7:42 PM
I would like you to have a look at the Airport Drive extention and why Hume council will not talk to the airport about running Trade park Drive out on to it to take most of the traffic off Melrose Drive and safe Vic roads millions on rebuilding the roundabout not make sence to me CheersRussell Fisher Saturday 5 January, 2013 - 11:31 AM
Saturday morning 10am - 11am one of the presenters was referring to an alfresco heater/teppanyaki unit approx. $1800.....i'm after further information if possible please.
ThanksNigel Monday 16 July, 2012 - 1:58 PM
Hello Paul & Darren,
You had a lady on asking about land along the south eastern freeway in Berwick all land along that area of the freeway is controlled by Vic roads.
Anthony ToddAnthony Todd Saturday 11 December, 2010 - 11:29 AM
Love the Saturday streetwise. Woman rang in thinking of developing her property into two, after real estate agents say the house will be demolished. They want to make the profit. Have they considered it would change from a family home no capital gains to attracing taxes.robyne Saturday 16 October, 2010 - 11:21 AM
In the end, i think i'll keep my own little system but borrow some of the best ideas from what's already out there in wikki and textile.ccsp Tuesday 1 June, 2010 - 5:42 PM