- Jim's movie cheat sheet - August 29
- New release film reviews - August 28
- VIDEO: The Inbetweeners
- 'God looked after the whole thing'
- New release movie reviews - August 14
- Melbourne secures David Bowie exhibition
- Will Russia’s sanctions matter?
- These Final Hours: Zak Hilditch
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kim on 3AW Online Community GARAGE SALE- SATURDAY 30TH AUGUST 9.00-1.00. Huge moving house sale- we have formal dining setting & matching sideboard, ... more
- Doncaster Corps on 3AW Online Community Doncaster Salvation Army is again hosting a wonderful musical experience at the 3rd Annual Salvo Festival of Community ... more
- Phil Jamonts on 3AW Online Community GARAGE SALE - Ferntree GullySat 23rd Aug 8am - 2pm1/9 Fitzgerald St, FTGElectrical Contractor going out of buisnees. Many ... more
- sylvia on 'Once My Mother' - Sophia Turkiewicz I've just watched the movie in the cinema, it was a very well told story that brought me to tears. Haven't seen such a good ... more
- Anita Payne on 3AW Online Community â??Spring Art & Craft Exhibitionâ??Highlands Retirement Village in Craigieburn, Victoria are holding an Art & Craft ... more
- Suzie Martens on 3AW Online Community Brighton Theatre CompanyNew play...Chilling and Killing of Annabel Lee...from 21 August to 6 September. Book online: ... more
- Gael Tomamichel on 3AW Online Community Garage SaleSaturday 16th August15 Helen St Frankston9am til 3pm no early callersWe are downsizingHousehold goods, sporting ... more
- Kyra Fennell on 3AW Online Community Garage Sale. 17 Bradford Avenue Greenvale, 3059.Saturday 16th of August. 9am-3pm.Clothing, kitchen appliances, outdoor ... more
- Kyra Fennell on 3AW Online Community Garage Sale.Saturday 16th of August9am-3pm.Clothing, household appliances, outdoor furniture and more. more
- Chris Padley on Critical Incident Response Team Congratulations on a different way of dealing with these situations. I as a Psych Nurse in an acute Psychiatric Unit ... more
- Aj on Eatery denies racial profiling claims On 8th Feb this year, Il Dom promoted Indigenous culture on their Facebook page. Not long after, promoted West African ... more
- Helen Tyack on Eatery denies racial profiling claims This girl is doing her best to try to destroy a business, based on assumptions, not evidence. The Facebook page is pure ... more
- Blake on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My Local chineese restaurant wouldn't take my order at 5pm. They open at 6pm but surely they were being racist to me because ... more
- Jester4212 on Eatery denies racial profiling claims Tabbi Teklemariam is obviously out on some kind of vendetta. Total overreaction to situation. Especially playing the race ... more
- Nick on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My local Chinese restaurant wouldn't take my order at midnight the other night. surely it's a case of racism. What else ... more
- mylene on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' If you point a camera at most people they couldn't even remember their name let alone explain complex political policies. ... more
- Gloria on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' Yes, watched Mikes' sessions with these Nuff Nuffs, hard to believe that there is so many gullible people out there that ... more
- Big Al on Jim's Cheat Sheet - May 23 Some films are so good that a sequel can never enhance, only detract. I hope that "Blade Runner" is left alone so we can ... more
- Factsseeker on Labor pledges domestic violence inquiry Every male policemen in Victoria knows what world statistics now show, that women are just as violent as men when it comes ... more
- mylene on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Doesn't effect me in the slightest and I'm the $80K+, single Labor voter that the coalition hates. Better luck next time, ... more
The masters of hypocrisy: the British tabloids
The two DJs at the centre of the royal prank tragedy will break their silence on two commercial TV networks tonight.
I am sick of the unmitigated hypocrisy flying around over the prank and the subsequent tragedy. Much of it from those masters of hypocrisy, the British tabloids.
They’re accusing the young Sydney DJs, Michael Christian and Mel Greig, of having blood on their hands. The British tabloids!
Remember these were the people who tapped a young murder victim’s phone to read her messages. They can lecture no one on media ethics.
For anyone in our industry, it would hypercritical to blame the FM DJs for this tragedy. In FM land it’s pranks, in talkback radio it’s fiery debate. We do it all the time on 3AW; We constantly criticize people - politicians, union leaders, councils, ordinary Joes who do or say something controversial. It’s all free speech; it’s what our democracy, our industry thrives on.
But we have no idea how those we criticize will react; No idea how it will affect them mentally.
And you as callers, when you exercise your freedom of speech, voice your opinions about a politician, an official, someone in the news, other callers, you have no idea how your attacks on them or even on presenters may affect them mentally.
In fact such direct criticism is probably more likely to trigger an adverse response than the 2Day FM silly prank.
What happened to Jacintha Saldanha was an unspeakable tragedy, but it was unforeseeable.
Shockwaves will ripple through our industry. There will rightly be greater caution about pranks.
But please let’s stop the self-righteous twaddle and stop the talk of kneejerk regulation and control of the media.
Mark, you are a dill, why are the UK press not going after the hospital? As
@GIW stated it was the hospitals fault that it went as far as it did, they should have had someone there to manage such calls where Kate was concerned.Willow Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Well well well.....what a surprise...not! Good old Nick displaying his "leftist" leanings again by going after the UK Press who are quite rightly appalled at the death of a caring nurse and loving mother by two adolescents looking to get cheap laughs.Mark Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 2:50 PM
bravo nick well put i belive your so correct.merry xmas to you old fella.bushiepete Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 8:10 AM
Un-Australian behavior :-(Sween's Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 7:57 AM
Well said Nick (and I never agree with you). Why doesn't someone investigate what the hospital management said to her? I would say it's far more likely that it's them with blood on their hands.Sarita Monday 10 December, 2012 - 9:17 PM
This was not the 2 DJs fault, the blame should be levelled at the hospital for not having protocols in place and the radio station bosses for OKing this prank. This hospital has royalty as patients all the time and I bet when Prince Phillip was there not long back there would have been a PR person, or such, to field off any calls. So get off the DJs backs you pommy gits and lay the blame where it belongs.GIW Monday 10 December, 2012 - 7:43 PM