- Miranda Otto: Reaching for the part
- Jim's movie cheat sheet, July 22
- Not your average long-haul trip
- Top 10 classroom classics
- Schepisi talks 'Words and Pictures'
- New release movie reviews, July 17
- 'I think jail saved his life'
- Jim's movie cheat sheet - July 10
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aj on Eatery denies racial profiling claims On 8th Feb this year, Il Dom promoted Indigenous culture on their Facebook page. Not long after, promoted West African ... more
- Helen Tyack on Eatery denies racial profiling claims This girl is doing her best to try to destroy a business, based on assumptions, not evidence. The Facebook page is pure ... more
- Blake on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My Local chineese restaurant wouldn't take my order at 5pm. They open at 6pm but surely they were being racist to me because ... more
- Jester4212 on Eatery denies racial profiling claims Tabbi Teklemariam is obviously out on some kind of vendetta. Total overreaction to situation. Especially playing the race ... more
- Nick on Eatery denies racial profiling claims My local Chinese restaurant wouldn't take my order at midnight the other night. surely it's a case of racism. What else ... more
- mylene on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' If you point a camera at most people they couldn't even remember their name let alone explain complex political policies. ... more
- Gloria on 'Ricky Muir has no clue' Yes, watched Mikes' sessions with these Nuff Nuffs, hard to believe that there is so many gullible people out there that ... more
- Big Al on Jim's Cheat Sheet - May 23 Some films are so good that a sequel can never enhance, only detract. I hope that "Blade Runner" is left alone so we can ... more
- Factsseeker on Labor pledges domestic violence inquiry Every male policemen in Victoria knows what world statistics now show, that women are just as violent as men when it comes ... more
- mylene on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Doesn't effect me in the slightest and I'm the $80K+, single Labor voter that the coalition hates. Better luck next time, ... more
- Matt on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget We have had our 6th child 4 days ago and have budgeted well for however we did not expect Abbott to lie so badly. As a ... more
- Os on WRAP: The 'good and bad' budget Hi,I just want someone to answer me what is going to happen to those people live overseas and get disability pension. I ... more
- Mick Wood on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Well, if you can't get in by boat..... more
- Nicholas on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Whatever the inhabitants of that thing are they're surely motion sick more
- Lynsey on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Pity you were using your iPhone (asper conversation on the radio). I have a camera on the raedy by my side in the car now ... more
- the serial pest on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Mmmm...dogs barking. Crickets chirping. A fleck in the sky. Sounds like a Fawkner family's been into some backyard moonshine. more
- tracy on UFO sighting in Fawkner? bulltwang first its moving not so fast across the sky and then its stays still not way up in the sky but about human height ... more
- Graeme on UFO sighting in Fawkner? Shared on Facebook Melbourne UFO group more
- james mason on 'I just want a beer with my mates' political correctness ????Sad day for our nation that cant even trust our proud men and woman of our defence force to have a ... more
- Steve on 'I just want a beer with my mates' BIGGEST AMOUNT OF BULL TISH I HAVE EVER HEARD. BEING EX SERVICE IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WEAR MY UNIFORM AND HAVE A FEW DRINKS ... more
Why we should remain part of the Monarchy
Treasurer Wayne Swan has today argued that the 80th anniversary of the infamous Bodyline test series means Australia should reconsider becoming a republic.
In my view, this is nonsense.
During Bodyline, a majority of Australians considered themselves British. In fact , in September 1939 when Robert Menzies learned that Britain has declared war on Germany for invading Poland, he declared that “Britain is now at war; therefore so are we.”
Every Australia Day this call appears to revisit the failed referendum of 1999.
Some of the arguments advanced by Republicans include:
We’re somehow confused about our national identity – Tell that to millions of flag waving young people tomorrow;
The Queen is not Australian - In fact, when she’s in Australia, she is indeed an Australian. She’s more than capable of acting as the Sovereign for a number of nations;
Life here would be somehow improved if we gained a President – Has anyone ever explained how increasing the number of pollies would lift the lot of the average Australian?
I'm in favour of leaving our system as it is. It works well, which is not something that can be said of all countries.
Our important cultural, political and legal institutions are still British – let’s not be afraid to recognise this.
And there’s an old saying: “Don’t fix it if ain’t broke.” Common sense if you ask me.
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:32 PM
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:02 PM
I agree with the premise that a constitutional monarchy is superior to a republic monarchy... But I think the monarch should have a fixed term and be democratically elected by all citizens of the commonwealth...except IndiaGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 6:41 PM
would be nice to see our own flag but we live in the 1950'scol Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 11:39 AM
Australia is great, why risk changing it? Swan appears to be a retard in my opinion, look at the mess he has made since taking control.Dr Ablett Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:23 PM
Dear fellow Aussies - it goes really without having to say that anything this Wayne Swan boofhead says should be completely and utterly disregarded. The joker is an abject failure, a political has been, has stuffed up this Nation's finance a motza, is a proven liar and indeed a self aggrandising fool. WE DON'T WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMNED REPUBLIC IN AUSTRALIA. OUR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY HAS SERVED US EXTREMELY WELL. THE DAMNED LABOR PARTY HAS FAILED US - SO WHY GIVE THEM MORE POWER - ONLY FOR THEM TO CONVERT US ALL TO A COMMUNIST REGIME.Sandra M Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 8:34 PM