- Video interview: Mr Pip director Andrew Adamson
- Jim's cheat sheet - November 9
- This fish is worth $10,000
- Photos: Oaks Day 2013
- Card Pop: How much was your outfit?
- Photo gallery: The beautiful people - from the birdcage
- Gallery: Melbourne Cup day 2013
- 2013 Melbourne Cup Preview
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jack on Photos: Oaks Day 2013 red white and black print, stunning. What brand is it more
- Clare Harrison on Photos: Oaks Day 2013 I think it great and they all look that are having a wonderful time more
- Lyn Martin on The Castlereagh Line Has Castlereagh Line finished? I thought last time Keith had it on it finished differently. more
- Joy Matthews on The Castlereagh Line Can you tell me if the Castlereagh Line is finished. I heard the last episode repeated twice and then nothing last ... more
- Craig on In search of Labor's new hero It's not the end of the world for Labor. Abbott is the Libs 3rd leader & only won his leadership by 1 vote. And the Libs ... more
- IAN on In search of Labor's new hero Who want to lead the LABOR Party. more
- PJ on In search of Labor's new hero You forgot Gillard, whose having secret meetings in Canberra with her old guard. more
- Lisa on In search of Labor's new hero They will be in opposition a long time if they don't get rid of factions, fighting, deals, unions and anyone who has been ... more
- jgl Melb on In search of Labor's new hero Shouldn't it read "She has NO trouble standing up to both sides?" As for fakery personified Rudd the first words uttered on ... more
- andrew portway on In search of Labor's new hero New labor leader?, we have had the female leader, how good was that?! we've now got Cartman(south park) revisited they now ... more
- mylene on In search of Labor's new hero I'll leave it up to the Indonesians and the Chinese to get rid of Mr Rabbit. Labor can take a nice long holiday and sit back ... more
- IAN on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon The big "OOOOOO" a small person to me.? will pay with his job. more
- Ivan@kinnane on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Get a life! more
- Libnet on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon I think Essendon need to stand firm....I believe in doing this the AFL and ASADA will take a look at their whole structure, ... more
- Christine on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Yeah it's most inconvenient Essendon daring to challenge the allegations. Let's roll to keep the media and AFL happy. I'd ... more
- pam on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon LaurenVery proud of you--as Essendon supporter for 64 years I fear the possible demise (Yes demise), players don't wish to ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 3On Sunday I am going to go to the GWS v Richmond game and farewell a great of Essendon and Richmond for that matter in ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 2I have endured as you have said, having to defend Essendon to friends, family and co-workers. When I get text messages ... more
- Peter on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon Part 1Thank you for your article Lauren, I think you have expressed exactly how many of us Essendon supporters feel. I am a ... more
- Jacoby on A Bomber fan's plea to Essendon YES! more
Why we should remain part of the Monarchy
Treasurer Wayne Swan has today argued that the 80th anniversary of the infamous Bodyline test series means Australia should reconsider becoming a republic.
In my view, this is nonsense.
During Bodyline, a majority of Australians considered themselves British. In fact , in September 1939 when Robert Menzies learned that Britain has declared war on Germany for invading Poland, he declared that “Britain is now at war; therefore so are we.”
Every Australia Day this call appears to revisit the failed referendum of 1999.
Some of the arguments advanced by Republicans include:
We’re somehow confused about our national identity – Tell that to millions of flag waving young people tomorrow;
The Queen is not Australian - In fact, when she’s in Australia, she is indeed an Australian. She’s more than capable of acting as the Sovereign for a number of nations;
Life here would be somehow improved if we gained a President – Has anyone ever explained how increasing the number of pollies would lift the lot of the average Australian?
I'm in favour of leaving our system as it is. It works well, which is not something that can be said of all countries.
Our important cultural, political and legal institutions are still British – let’s not be afraid to recognise this.
And there’s an old saying: “Don’t fix it if ain’t broke.” Common sense if you ask me.
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:32 PM
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:02 PM
I agree with the premise that a constitutional monarchy is superior to a republic monarchy... But I think the monarch should have a fixed term and be democratically elected by all citizens of the commonwealth...except IndiaGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 6:41 PM
would be nice to see our own flag but we live in the 1950'scol Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 11:39 AM
Australia is great, why risk changing it? Swan appears to be a retard in my opinion, look at the mess he has made since taking control.Dr Ablett Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:23 PM
Dear fellow Aussies - it goes really without having to say that anything this Wayne Swan boofhead says should be completely and utterly disregarded. The joker is an abject failure, a political has been, has stuffed up this Nation's finance a motza, is a proven liar and indeed a self aggrandising fool. WE DON'T WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMNED REPUBLIC IN AUSTRALIA. OUR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY HAS SERVED US EXTREMELY WELL. THE DAMNED LABOR PARTY HAS FAILED US - SO WHY GIVE THEM MORE POWER - ONLY FOR THEM TO CONVERT US ALL TO A COMMUNIST REGIME.Sandra M Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 8:34 PM