- New deal shores up SPC's future
- Terror probe into stolen passports
- Moomba spirit hits the city
- Parks Victoria authorises deer cull
- Woman struck down by bus
- Golden night for Aussies at the Oscars
- Jim's movie poster parodies
- 'Leave it to the professionals'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on New deal shores up SPC's future Labor would have just thrown hundereds of millions at this, SPC wouldn't have bothered trying to help there own business to ... more
- Steve on New deal shores up SPC's future Not before time at least one of the giants is supporting our fruit industry.. more
- Greg on New deal shores up SPC's future I hope they pay back the Taxpayer money they got from Napthaline. more
- Kylee on New deal shores up SPC's future About time!!! I always read the labels on any food I buy, and if it is from another country, I don't buy it.Now I hope that ... more
- Craig on New deal shores up SPC's future But who dictated the price!!!! more
- Steve on Parks Victoria authorises deer cull Let's hope this is well supervised or someone will be shot. more
- Gloss on Woman struck down by bus Is there a pedestrian crossing there? I am continually amazed at people who cross busy roads without looking and Sydney Road ... more
- Luke on Parks Victoria authorises deer cull Wait for all the bleeding hearts declaring that we shouldn't be culling off "native" animals. And why we shouldn't just buy ... more
- Mandi on Jim's movie poster parodies I admire John Jarrett for his acting he played a notorious role in wolf Creek I'm yet to see the Wolf Creek 2 .Savages ... more
- Lukew on Telstra axes 800 jobs As long as we have this incessant drive for growth there will be constant pressure on jobs. Since growth drives the CEO's ... more
- Liz on Telstra axes 800 jobs This is becoming absolutely ridiculous. What are we suppose to do to put out food on the table.I'm a mum and my husband was ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Telstra axes 800 jobs @Craig. This is the outcome of years and years of damned rorting by Unions in Australia. Look at the ridiculous pay rates ... more
- Craig on Telstra axes 800 jobs Abbott says we are open for Business ...but all Businesses are leaving and going offshore...we are becoming a country of ... more
- Esther on Daily blog from Sochi Maybe a little late, but check her out on youtube - she's good! more
- biggles on 100,000 trout dying in poor water cruelity more
- Darryl Luttrell on 100,000 trout dying in poor water This will be a blight on governments and corporates if this internationally known Trout water and environmental wonder is ... more
- Nick on Officers heavy-handed with frail man Why is it we see these types of videos every week of a ticket officer being way over the top? These guys get given a tiny ... more
- Mark on Daily blog from Sochi Hang on, is that the journo ice skating in that video??! That's impressive! more
- Ivan@kinnane on Channel Seven axes Today Tonight Flashback to Feb 2013: Neil Mitchell interviews Helen Kapalos about her then dumping by Network Ten. Helen describes it as ... more
- Greg on Channel Seven axes Today Tonight About time,and Channel 9 should axe that other Ambulance Chaser A Current Affair. more
Why we should remain part of the Monarchy
Treasurer Wayne Swan has today argued that the 80th anniversary of the infamous Bodyline test series means Australia should reconsider becoming a republic.
In my view, this is nonsense.
During Bodyline, a majority of Australians considered themselves British. In fact , in September 1939 when Robert Menzies learned that Britain has declared war on Germany for invading Poland, he declared that “Britain is now at war; therefore so are we.”
Every Australia Day this call appears to revisit the failed referendum of 1999.
Some of the arguments advanced by Republicans include:
We’re somehow confused about our national identity – Tell that to millions of flag waving young people tomorrow;
The Queen is not Australian - In fact, when she’s in Australia, she is indeed an Australian. She’s more than capable of acting as the Sovereign for a number of nations;
Life here would be somehow improved if we gained a President – Has anyone ever explained how increasing the number of pollies would lift the lot of the average Australian?
I'm in favour of leaving our system as it is. It works well, which is not something that can be said of all countries.
Our important cultural, political and legal institutions are still British – let’s not be afraid to recognise this.
And there’s an old saying: “Don’t fix it if ain’t broke.” Common sense if you ask me.
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:32 PM
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:02 PM
I agree with the premise that a constitutional monarchy is superior to a republic monarchy... But I think the monarch should have a fixed term and be democratically elected by all citizens of the commonwealth...except IndiaGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 6:41 PM
would be nice to see our own flag but we live in the 1950'scol Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 11:39 AM
Australia is great, why risk changing it? Swan appears to be a retard in my opinion, look at the mess he has made since taking control.Dr Ablett Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:23 PM
Dear fellow Aussies - it goes really without having to say that anything this Wayne Swan boofhead says should be completely and utterly disregarded. The joker is an abject failure, a political has been, has stuffed up this Nation's finance a motza, is a proven liar and indeed a self aggrandising fool. WE DON'T WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMNED REPUBLIC IN AUSTRALIA. OUR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY HAS SERVED US EXTREMELY WELL. THE DAMNED LABOR PARTY HAS FAILED US - SO WHY GIVE THEM MORE POWER - ONLY FOR THEM TO CONVERT US ALL TO A COMMUNIST REGIME.Sandra M Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 8:34 PM