- Dr Napthine sings happy birthday
- 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk
- Interview with Stephen Lance
- Jim's Movie Cheat Sheet
- Ela visits the "Lui Bar"
- Mother's plea for more family time
- Melbourne's Own photo competition
- Labor's pledge to get families fishing
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Doug on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk Unhappy can"t hear Grubby and Dee Dee in the car or in the shed. Digital doesn't work in the Mc Crae area. I'm over cricket, ... more
- James on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk Stop winging people. At least we have a choice. You don't have to buy a digital radio if you have access to the internet ... more
- Chris mack on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk Description is ambiguous does cricket take over regular programs only on Sunday or throughout the week when cricket is on. more
- Jenn on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk How do those of us living outside the Digital range (in the country)and have poor internet connection get normal ... more
- Jayme Doran on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk Live audio streaming of Cricket Coverage via the newly relaunched cricket.com.au website is for Australian Cricket Family ... more
- alan smith on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk it's all a rort to make us buy a radio that doesn't work all the time. more
- Gloss on Derby Day: How much did you spend on ... OMG, that south wind was very chilling those ladies who wore summer frocks must have been freezing. They must have been very ... more
- Peter on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk Will football be covered on digital or analogue? more
- Jason & Lissy on 3AW's summer of cricket AND talk GREat Idea because not everyone likes Cricket. more
- Peggy on Teen jihadi threatens Abbott It amazes me that parents are always surprised when their son goes to join ISIS or ISIL. Surely they know what opinion their ... more
- Mandi on Teen jihadi threatens Abbott Ha thats a laugh a minute hes just blown his cover. more
- Milton on Teen jihadi threatens Abbott Cancel his Passport. more
- Mehmet Hasan on 'We are on Team Australia' I agree totally with the Sheik and Ekrem Fuldagli. As a practising Muslim I reject extremism and criminal behaviour. We are ... more
- poppitt on 'We are on Team Australia' Happy to accept anyone. Any country. But they must obey Australian Laws. If not they are a criminal and should be dealt with ... more
- Gary on Call to make drivers pay for all roads The man is using his feet for thinking and his brain for dancing. What put a toll on the Princes Freeway at Longwarry, what ... more
- poppitt on Call to make drivers pay for all roads What about transport companies, what about plumbers, electricians, builders, they pay tax on what they earn, now you want ... more
- poppitt on Call to make drivers pay for all roads Do we not pay more with the TAX on fuel? Registration! Insurance! Gosh how much more. I work for a living I have never had ... more
- Peggy on Call to make drivers pay for all roads People drive to work every day so how much would one pay for a day? Anyone living in the outer suburbs will pay a lot more ... more
- Paul on Call to make drivers pay for all roads Bad idea, only reason govt want this is because modern cars are set to be very economical and fuel tax will drop, oppose ANY ... more
- Geoff on Call to make drivers pay for all roads Just redirect our car registration fees to make the roads better. I am not sure but at the moment I think registration goes ... more
Why we should remain part of the Monarchy
Treasurer Wayne Swan has today argued that the 80th anniversary of the infamous Bodyline test series means Australia should reconsider becoming a republic.
In my view, this is nonsense.
During Bodyline, a majority of Australians considered themselves British. In fact , in September 1939 when Robert Menzies learned that Britain has declared war on Germany for invading Poland, he declared that “Britain is now at war; therefore so are we.”
Every Australia Day this call appears to revisit the failed referendum of 1999.
Some of the arguments advanced by Republicans include:
We’re somehow confused about our national identity – Tell that to millions of flag waving young people tomorrow;
The Queen is not Australian - In fact, when she’s in Australia, she is indeed an Australian. She’s more than capable of acting as the Sovereign for a number of nations;
Life here would be somehow improved if we gained a President – Has anyone ever explained how increasing the number of pollies would lift the lot of the average Australian?
I'm in favour of leaving our system as it is. It works well, which is not something that can be said of all countries.
Our important cultural, political and legal institutions are still British – let’s not be afraid to recognise this.
And there’s an old saying: “Don’t fix it if ain’t broke.” Common sense if you ask me.
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:32 PM
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:02 PM
I agree with the premise that a constitutional monarchy is superior to a republic monarchy... But I think the monarch should have a fixed term and be democratically elected by all citizens of the commonwealth...except IndiaGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 6:41 PM
would be nice to see our own flag but we live in the 1950'scol Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 11:39 AM
Australia is great, why risk changing it? Swan appears to be a retard in my opinion, look at the mess he has made since taking control.Dr Ablett Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:23 PM
Dear fellow Aussies - it goes really without having to say that anything this Wayne Swan boofhead says should be completely and utterly disregarded. The joker is an abject failure, a political has been, has stuffed up this Nation's finance a motza, is a proven liar and indeed a self aggrandising fool. WE DON'T WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMNED REPUBLIC IN AUSTRALIA. OUR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY HAS SERVED US EXTREMELY WELL. THE DAMNED LABOR PARTY HAS FAILED US - SO WHY GIVE THEM MORE POWER - ONLY FOR THEM TO CONVERT US ALL TO A COMMUNIST REGIME.Sandra M Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 8:34 PM