- New release movie reviews - April 17
- 'I just want a beer with my mates'
- Conscription or compulsory volunteering for jobless?
- Jim's cheat sheet - April 11
- 'Assistants can't do a nurse's job'
- Ela's Woodland House review
- Ela’s Victoria for visitors
- New release movie reviews - April 10
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- james mason on 'I just want a beer with my mates' political correctness ????Sad day for our nation that cant even trust our proud men and woman of our defence force to have a ... more
- Steve on 'I just want a beer with my mates' BIGGEST AMOUNT OF BULL TISH I HAVE EVER HEARD. BEING EX SERVICE IT WAS AN HONOUR TO WEAR MY UNIFORM AND HAVE A FEW DRINKS ... more
- Lucinda on 'I just want a beer with my mates' Surely in RSL's it should be fine, but i agree not in a licence pub in the city ie young and jacksons type of thing. Weren't ... more
- JimmyJack on 'My son has a problem with porn' What a load of tosh, sorry Tom, wasn't able to hear the call so only going on from what is here. This Susan McLean sounds ... more
- ian on 'My son has a problem with porn' Lack of parental control. more
- David R on 'My son has a problem with porn' Should a government issued/sanction laptop come installed with the Government supported/paid-for Internet protection ... more
- Tony voorhaar on Man comes forward over dooring When are people and gov't going to learn bikes and cars don't mix. Get rid of the bikes. more
- Christine on Man comes forward over dooring Again the minority are the loudest. The roads are for cars, who pay to be on the roads. I feel sorry for the people ... more
- Dingoes Breakfast on Man comes forward over dooring No cyclist should be allowed to ride on public roads without paying 3rd party insurance to the government and registration ... more
- LukeB on Man comes forward over dooring Actually, that footage is exactly what happens when a bike rider kicks the door of a car, or punches a car driver ... more
- Luke on Man comes forward over dooring Bike riders are near impossible to see & they also don't watch where they are going or pre-empt any trouble. They are their ... more
- Joanne on Man comes forward over dooring There will be no winners here. 1. Should the taxi driver have been allowed to let a passenger depart the vehicle from that ... more
- Lee on Man comes forward over dooring They are all in the wrong here. Cyclist shouldn't have been riding in the gutter, but since she was she should have gone a ... more
- Lukew on Man comes forward over dooring I think the rider should bear some of the responsibility here. If I was riding my bike in that situation, I would be ... more
- choppy on Man comes forward over dooring the guy sells toys and sporting equipment for leading brands...including bicycles! Acted like a pig. Perhaps he should ride ... more
- Richard on Man comes forward over dooring Its rule 140 about unsafe overtaking , just before the 141 that cyclists like to quote. Maybe read all the rules, not just ... more
- Richard on Man comes forward over dooring Shouldn't the cyclist be charged with unsafe overtaking? If it had been a motorcyclist that would be the charge (and ... more
- paul on Man comes forward over dooring No suprise that all the do gooder cyclists start calling normal everyday people with opinions red necks, yes the men were ... more
- Mandy on Man comes forward over dooring Why is it an offence when the cyclist passed on the inside of a stopped vehicle? So many times cyclists pass up the left ... more
- Cam on Man comes forward over dooring I'm sorry but the cyclist should have had the foresight to know that if a taxi stops then a door is more than likely to ... more
Why we should remain part of the Monarchy
Treasurer Wayne Swan has today argued that the 80th anniversary of the infamous Bodyline test series means Australia should reconsider becoming a republic.
In my view, this is nonsense.
During Bodyline, a majority of Australians considered themselves British. In fact , in September 1939 when Robert Menzies learned that Britain has declared war on Germany for invading Poland, he declared that “Britain is now at war; therefore so are we.”
Every Australia Day this call appears to revisit the failed referendum of 1999.
Some of the arguments advanced by Republicans include:
We’re somehow confused about our national identity – Tell that to millions of flag waving young people tomorrow;
The Queen is not Australian - In fact, when she’s in Australia, she is indeed an Australian. She’s more than capable of acting as the Sovereign for a number of nations;
Life here would be somehow improved if we gained a President – Has anyone ever explained how increasing the number of pollies would lift the lot of the average Australian?
I'm in favour of leaving our system as it is. It works well, which is not something that can be said of all countries.
Our important cultural, political and legal institutions are still British – let’s not be afraid to recognise this.
And there’s an old saying: “Don’t fix it if ain’t broke.” Common sense if you ask me.
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:32 PM
Why has this blog become a slagging match against a particular person? Wayne Swan is irrelevant to the larger argument. The only solution is to have a hand in electing our Monarch. Charles will be popular enough to get the gig anyhowGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 9:02 PM
I agree with the premise that a constitutional monarchy is superior to a republic monarchy... But I think the monarch should have a fixed term and be democratically elected by all citizens of the commonwealth...except IndiaGrooffy Sunday 16 June, 2013 - 6:41 PM
would be nice to see our own flag but we live in the 1950'scol Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 11:39 AM
Australia is great, why risk changing it? Swan appears to be a retard in my opinion, look at the mess he has made since taking control.Dr Ablett Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:23 PM
Dear fellow Aussies - it goes really without having to say that anything this Wayne Swan boofhead says should be completely and utterly disregarded. The joker is an abject failure, a political has been, has stuffed up this Nation's finance a motza, is a proven liar and indeed a self aggrandising fool. WE DON'T WANT NOR DO WE NEED A DAMNED REPUBLIC IN AUSTRALIA. OUR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY HAS SERVED US EXTREMELY WELL. THE DAMNED LABOR PARTY HAS FAILED US - SO WHY GIVE THEM MORE POWER - ONLY FOR THEM TO CONVERT US ALL TO A COMMUNIST REGIME.Sandra M Sunday 27 January, 2013 - 8:34 PM