- Caulfield Grammar evacuated
- Million dollar reward to solve murders
- Victims' class action 'almost settled'
- Director of Sonray Capital Markets jailed
- 'Marijuana is not a soft drug'
- 'It's time to act against family violence'
- Armed robbery at Essendon
- Youth camp 'wrong' to ban homosexuals
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Factsseeker on 'It's time to act against family ... To enlarge on Mark's anguished comments, this article shows how much of the media in Aus still operates off a stereotype. ... more
- Mark on 'It's time to act against family ... Your comments where not only offensive to me but showed your ignorance of the subject Sally, men are also victims, I was a ... more
- Dame Mylene on On track and online: Free Wi-Fi for ... If it's like the wifi on Flinders Street Station they'll make you watch a ton of ads before you can access it. more
- john on It's MacTime in Tecoma Are we living in a nanny state, where others tell me what food I can buy? Just mind your own business and allow free ... more
- Dame Mylene on It's MacTime in Tecoma Macca's had shops in Camberwell and Carlton that closed down. It's all going to come down to the 'bogan' element in Tecoma. more
- Joel on 'I got some amusing texts' The term "whacker" is almost as quaint and the reintroduction of knights and dames.Go on Neil, you know you want one... more
- JamesD on 'I got some amusing texts' Big danger for Abbott with this is it will help perception that he is man of the past -it may appeal to older people but ... more
- PJ on 'I got some amusing texts' Lefties are only against honouring great Aussies because by doing so we honour Australia, which their ideology detests. more
- PJ on 'I got some amusing texts' theres plenty of Ruling Left Elite. Under Labor we had the highest paid PM in the OECD and Lord Swan had us pay for a ... more
- mylene on 'I got some amusing texts' if there's only going to be 4 per year either John Howard, Alan Jones or George Pell is going to miss out. Mr. Rabbit will ... more
- Heather on 'I got some amusing texts' Oh Tony Tony Tony...you've lost me on this archaic rubbish! I'm an old girl who lives life moving forward and hate being ... more
- mylene on 'I got some amusing texts' If Jeff Kennett gets a knighthood I'm moving to Israel. :p more
- Christine on 'I got some amusing texts' First jobs for the boys/girls, now titles for same. These people get paid very well to do a job, that's it. more
- Gazza on 'I got some amusing texts' Sir Kevin,for smashing WORKCHOICES. more
- David R on 'I got some amusing texts' Dame Quenten!! After what she said while still in office last year.. more
- ian on Protest organisers defend 'Kill Abbott' ... SUSAN,SHE WAS THE WORST P/M IN HISTORY. more
- Brett Davis on Protest organisers defend 'Kill Abbott' ... What a bunch of low brain losers, wake up and smell the roses. The bills have to be paid, we can't live on credit forever ... more
- Steve on Protest organisers defend 'Kill Abbott' ... Morons and bogans and plenty of the unwashed rent a crowd there as well! more
- Catherine on Protest organisers defend 'Kill Abbott' ... Tony Abbott is our Prime minister and so far he is doing a good job. This silly people they are only small percentage, ... more
- David T. on Protest organisers defend 'Kill Abbott' ... Just think; most of them will eventually grow up and vote Liberal. more
Victoria NOT about to erupt
WEDNESDAY: A leading vulcanologist says there's no need to fear the states volcanic region will erupt after yesterday's earthquake near Korumburra.
The University of Melbourne has identified scores of small volcanoes in the state's west which erupt every 2,000 years, and are overdue.
But Professor Bernie Joyce says volcanoes normally react independently of earth tremors.
TUESDAY: People in Melbourne and surrounds felt an earth tremor shortly after 11:30am on Tuesday.
The epicentre of the tremor was believed to be in Korumburra and the magnitude was 4.4.
Professor Ian Cartwright from Monash University's school of geoscience has told Neil Mitchell that quakes in Victoria are likely to be centered on fault lines in the Gippsland area.
A smaller aftershock measuring 3.0 on the richter scale struck about 12:37pm.
There have been no reports of any damage or injury.
Let us know if you felt the tremor, where you are and how bad it was below.
Meanwhile, a 6.5 magnitude earthquake has been felt across much of New Zealand.
No major damage is expected.
3AW Twitter Followers:
SamanthaC_92 @3AW693 I thought so!!! I was thinking the wind couldn't be THAT strong..
@degan1970 @RossAndJohn @3AW693 Sure did, was a good old rumble in Kew #Melbourneshakes
@gohsuket メルボルンで地震か RT @3AW693: QUAKING NEWS: Yep, tweets, calls and reports that Melbourne just experienced an earth tremor #MelbourneShaking
@zakkkka @3AW693 sitting at docklands ch7 building.our office started shaking,pictures on the walls shaking.was very surreal!
@MsClaireBella @3AW693 Strong enough on Bourke St CBD to spill a glass of water sitting on my desk on the 9th floor of 30. #MelbourneShaking
@arfee1 @3AW693 sorry Guys. I've just received confirmation that this was @The_HE_man jack-hammering in Eastern suburbs
@LadyWriterMelb @RossAndJohn @3AW693 Felt it in the outer east, in Croydon. My glass kitchen table was shaking! My cat was relatively unimpressed
*The epicentre was just outside of Korumburra*
UPDATE: The State Emergency Service is warning strong winds could last until the weekend in some areas. Gippsland and Ballarat have so far been the worst hit with gusts of up to 160 kilometres an hour. Click on the image on the right for more.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Follow Neil on Twitter!
- Follow 'Human Headline'
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy's State Politics
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Weekend Break on Twitter
- Mitchell's Producer Justin Smith
- Nicole Denton (Ruth Serum)
- Hinch's Producer Shannon Reid
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Mitchell Program's Seb Costello
- Online Manager Ben Wise
Live in Benalla Vic feft it here, weird feelingLeanne Hind Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:27 PM
I live in Kilmore and we just had things falling off shelves, didnt know what was happening!!!Caroline Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:18 PM
9.00pm tuesday evening
earth tremor lasted 2 mins
whole house was shakingkevin matthews Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:11 PM
That leading vulcanologist says there's no need to fear so what happends over the next 30 years. Korumburra is just down the road from a very big desalination plantcol Wednesday 6 July, 2011 - 3:33 PM
another tremor at approx 7.15pm tues night in poowong, approx 20kms from korumburra (3.7 supposedly). Another big enough rumble. Hopefully that's all for the night, week, month, year...fiona Tuesday 5 July, 2011 - 9:26 PM
I work for Frankston Councl and was in Langwarrn at th time and felt the earth quake , the huse i was in shook slightly . my brther lives in kurrumburra , the was one there not long ago dose tha meen there will be something a bit stronger in the futurevalerie maude Tuesday 5 July, 2011 - 8:10 PM