- Veteran cop says new speed policy is 'flawed'
- Long weekend road toll spike
- Bikies clean cash with car washes
- Police appeal for shooter
- Man arrested over drone drugs drop
- Possible debris spotted in sea
- Monash Fwy chaos after multi-car crash
- Indonesia deports Australian reporters
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Heather on Indonesia deports Australian reporters Good!! LEAVE THE GIRL IN PEACE! more
- Tony on Cameras ready to snap speeding drivers Yet another reason to never go to St.Kilda or the CBD. Too congested and controlled. more
- jj on Cameras ready to snap speeding drivers Speed limit should only apply to 4wheel drives and left lane only. They are dangerous like trucks more
- Aria Judilla on Cameras ready to snap speeding drivers @JC - so you think that there shouldn't be any speed limit in the CBD? Or if there is one, it shouldn't be policed (which is ... more
- Colin on Cameras ready to snap speeding drivers Where are these speed cameras coming from? This state government went to the election a couple of years ago screaming that ... more
- JC on Cameras ready to snap speeding drivers This is a wonderful 'road safety' initiative by the Victorian Government.The damage done to property and lives by these ... more
- Gazza on CityLink jobs to be sent offshore Abbott in jobs out,it's the liberal way.... more
- rob on CityLink jobs to be sent offshore Disgusting - Lets not use this FREE way more
- poppitt on Ex-bikie spared jail time wow. Jail would be too dangerous for him. more
- Docklands on Monorail airport link gains traction Cannot use SKYbus as it is Privatly owned.The Sydney Train to teh Airport is privatly owned.Once again Neil Mitchell fails more
- Andrew on Monorail airport link gains traction This will never be built because like most things in Australia there are vested interests involved. Airport car parking is ... more
- Ben on Monorail airport link gains traction Tokyo Haneda airport is linked to a semi major Tokyo rail station via a monorail (18 km journey taking about 20 minutes). ... more
- Wasted time on Monorail airport link gains traction Public transport to the airport is an embarrassment. Every other big city has got airport rail, but still we ignore it and ... more
- Gregory on Irishman caught snorkelling in NGV moat A live exhibition. I Thought the NGV would recognise that. more
- David T. on Irishman caught snorkelling in NGV moat Oh, I forgot. Qantas needs all the coin it can get. more
- David T. on Irishman caught snorkelling in NGV moat Wonder how much in coins he pulled out of the water? more
- Ivan@kinnane on Irishman caught snorkelling in NGV moat great stuff! A nice bit of humour around a dreary complex. more
- Michael on Irishman caught snorkelling in NGV moat Too much Guinness more
- Judy Hawker on Morwell residents should 'get out' I drove back to Melbourne from Sale last Sunday. The smoke was very thick and even though I had the fan and air con off and ... more
- Gazza on Qantas expected to shed 3000 jobs What a surprise all these jobs are shed under a liberal government...... more
Victoria NOT about to erupt
WEDNESDAY: A leading vulcanologist says there's no need to fear the states volcanic region will erupt after yesterday's earthquake near Korumburra.
The University of Melbourne has identified scores of small volcanoes in the state's west which erupt every 2,000 years, and are overdue.
But Professor Bernie Joyce says volcanoes normally react independently of earth tremors.
TUESDAY: People in Melbourne and surrounds felt an earth tremor shortly after 11:30am on Tuesday.
The epicentre of the tremor was believed to be in Korumburra and the magnitude was 4.4.
Professor Ian Cartwright from Monash University's school of geoscience has told Neil Mitchell that quakes in Victoria are likely to be centered on fault lines in the Gippsland area.
A smaller aftershock measuring 3.0 on the richter scale struck about 12:37pm.
There have been no reports of any damage or injury.
Let us know if you felt the tremor, where you are and how bad it was below.
Meanwhile, a 6.5 magnitude earthquake has been felt across much of New Zealand.
No major damage is expected.
3AW Twitter Followers:
SamanthaC_92 @3AW693 I thought so!!! I was thinking the wind couldn't be THAT strong..
@degan1970 @RossAndJohn @3AW693 Sure did, was a good old rumble in Kew #Melbourneshakes
@gohsuket メルボルンで地震か RT @3AW693: QUAKING NEWS: Yep, tweets, calls and reports that Melbourne just experienced an earth tremor #MelbourneShaking
@zakkkka @3AW693 sitting at docklands ch7 building.our office started shaking,pictures on the walls shaking.was very surreal!
@MsClaireBella @3AW693 Strong enough on Bourke St CBD to spill a glass of water sitting on my desk on the 9th floor of 30. #MelbourneShaking
@arfee1 @3AW693 sorry Guys. I've just received confirmation that this was @The_HE_man jack-hammering in Eastern suburbs
@LadyWriterMelb @RossAndJohn @3AW693 Felt it in the outer east, in Croydon. My glass kitchen table was shaking! My cat was relatively unimpressed
*The epicentre was just outside of Korumburra*
UPDATE: The State Emergency Service is warning strong winds could last until the weekend in some areas. Gippsland and Ballarat have so far been the worst hit with gusts of up to 160 kilometres an hour. Click on the image on the right for more.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Follow Neil on Twitter!
- Follow 'Human Headline'
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy's State Politics
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Weekend Break on Twitter
- Mitchell's Producer Justin Smith
- Nicole Denton (Ruth Serum)
- Hinch's Producer Shannon Reid
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Mitchell Program's Seb Costello
- Online Manager Ben Wise
Live in Benalla Vic feft it here, weird feelingLeanne Hind Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:27 PM
I live in Kilmore and we just had things falling off shelves, didnt know what was happening!!!Caroline Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:18 PM
9.00pm tuesday evening
earth tremor lasted 2 mins
whole house was shakingkevin matthews Tuesday 19 June, 2012 - 9:11 PM
That leading vulcanologist says there's no need to fear so what happends over the next 30 years. Korumburra is just down the road from a very big desalination plantcol Wednesday 6 July, 2011 - 3:33 PM
another tremor at approx 7.15pm tues night in poowong, approx 20kms from korumburra (3.7 supposedly). Another big enough rumble. Hopefully that's all for the night, week, month, year...fiona Tuesday 5 July, 2011 - 9:26 PM
I work for Frankston Councl and was in Langwarrn at th time and felt the earth quake , the huse i was in shook slightly . my brther lives in kurrumburra , the was one there not long ago dose tha meen there will be something a bit stronger in the futurevalerie maude Tuesday 5 July, 2011 - 8:10 PM