- Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial
- My last chance to help this child
- We abstain: the tense power struggle in Canberra
- Nothing has really changed in 20 years on the evil issue of child abuse
- Hinch accuses Oxfam of misleading customers over 'Unwrapped' gifts
- Don't drink and dive
- The $250,000 yacht people refugees
- Hinch challenges 'Dumb Ways To Die' creator
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colon Cleanse on A delicate, taboo issue: ... It what does a colon cleanse do tells us several things.And the Barrow Wake view point near Circencester has apparently ... more
- mandy on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Unfortunately I cannot concur - tired, tacky and tastless - boring, predictable - a complete waste of time and money. ... more
- natalie on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Very very clever performer. Loved his show in Adelaide tonight. Never a fan of Sir Les but Dame Edna is as sharp as ever. ... more
- allan usherwood on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Susan Littlesmith Take a trip to London we are already the laughing stock of the world. Bob Carr as foreign minister ... more
- Poida on No justice for Barry McKnight? I taught him. Idiot then, idiot now. His mother used to cover for him then and obviously still does. Is he in jail yet? ... more
- Me on Western Australia launches sex offender ... Never seen so much ill informed scare-mongering rubbish from people who don't know the difference between a rapist, porn ... more
- Boa Dicea on My last chance to help this child Derryn, you've been great before in sacrificing your freedom for the sake of victims of paedophilia, and now it's already ... more
- Donna Fletcher on My last chance to help this child Please help this baby. All children are our future and we are nothing if we can't do them justice. I have myself removed ... more
- Virginia Hunt on The paedophile priest living the good ... This is disgusting and has to stop good on you Derryn for naming these disgusting monsters. The Catholic Church has a lot to ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... Dear The Dean, I found your past most righteous or ridiculous, one of those anyway, you can work it out. "Abbott has ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... You say that their relentless attack on Abbott is working but Mr Abbott is a misogynist. He's proved it relentlessly. ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Gillard's gender war affecting the polls Mr Hinch, you are such a twirp. You are a bigot, a liar & another journo that stretches the very fabric of truth into a ... more
- Denise Austin on My last chance to help this child I hope and pray that the little girl is returned to her mother, every night before i go to sleep I ask God to keep the ... more
- R we there Yet on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Hi 3aw , it is a real shame Larrys site gets seemingly `interfered` with and supporters get blocked? If he is running a paid ... more
- Jo Montgomery on A special 95th birthday surprise I would love to send on Freda's interview for my Mother,she is a regular at the shop at Brentford Square.How do i go about ... more
- Hot Chunks on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... I wonder if She had not ever used the word "misogynist " to describe him them would other people think to use it ever at all ... more
- Sara on My last chance to help this child Please tell me this little girl isn't in her fathers care anymore.... I don't understand why she is made to live with her ... more
- kerry estoppey on Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial what a sad loss for melbourne, the world needs more people like Derryn Hinch, to expose injustice and provoke us to thought ... more
- Mikki on 'Craig, you’re no Atticus Finch' Stop wasting TaxPayers money on this PATHALOGICAL DISORDERED MAN and start educating society that his type is what ... more
- mary on My last chance to help this child Does anyone know if the mother has an appeal yet? And if so has it been heard? She could get a stay order, she would have ... more
Nothing has really changed in 20 years on the evil issue of child abuse
The final countdown continues. Only three more appearances as host of the Drive program. It’s starting to feel really weird. We’ll play some more Drive flashbacks.
And for starters, I want to flashback even further. Back to when I was hosting the HINCH current affairs program on Channel Ten. I want to play something because it just shows how nothing has really changed in nearly twenty years on the evil issue of child abuse. Although there are thousands of hopes pinned on the national Royal Commission announced recently by Prime Minister Gillard.
After the federal inquiry was announced, a listener alerted me to something on You Tube. A snippet from the Ten archives. I introduced a powerful documentary hosted by Oprah Winfrey and called Scared Silent.
My comments then are sadly as applicable today as they were then:
"Good evening Australia, and welcome to one of the most important television specials that you are ever likely to see on this, or any TV network. So important, that three American networks ran it simultaneously in prime time.
"It concerns children, your children, and the risks that sadly surround us, the chance that they could be subjected to sexual abuse, physical violence, emotional abuse. "For years I've been asking the question: who is looking after the children? And personally I believe there is no question more important, no answer more vitally needed, no cause more precious. "I've been to jail over this issue, and that is one of the reasons why I'm proud to proud to present this documentary on child abuse tonight hosted by Oprah Winfrey. "She was molested as a child, and so was I. You make it public in the hope that others will no longer be too scared to come forward, others who are scared silent. "And maybe, I hope, that by bringing this to you tonight, we can help you recognise some warning signs, and maybe, just maybe, we can save some kids. "Who's looking after the children? I'm Derryn Hinch."
"It concerns children, your children, and the risks that sadly surround us, the chance that they could be subjected to sexual abuse, physical violence, emotional abuse.
"For years I've been asking the question: who is looking after the children? And personally I believe there is no question more important, no answer more vitally needed, no cause more precious.
"I've been to jail over this issue, and that is one of the reasons why I'm proud to proud to present this documentary on child abuse tonight hosted by Oprah Winfrey.
"She was molested as a child, and so was I. You make it public in the hope that others will no longer be too scared to come forward, others who are scared silent.
"And maybe, I hope, that by bringing this to you tonight, we can help you recognise some warning signs, and maybe, just maybe, we can save some kids.
"Who's looking after the children? I'm Derryn Hinch."
At the end of the powerful Oprah Winfrey documentary, which as I said, was considered so important it was aired on three American networks simultaneously, I had these remarks:
"What you've just seen, I believe, could be the most important hour of television you'll ever see. And as I said back when I was going to jail, because of a campaign against a child-molesting priest. If it saves one child, then it's been worth it.
"And the same applies to Oprah Winfrey and Scared Silent tonight. It is an issue that must have the spotlight turned on it, must be talked about, must be aired, because light and knowledge are the two thing that child molesters fear the most.
"I won't say that I hope you enjoyed tonight's program, I just hope you watched and I hope we helped. "I hope children realise that's not life. Good night."
"I won't say that I hope you enjoyed tonight's program, I just hope you watched and I hope we helped.
"I hope children realise that's not life. Good night."
As I said: As applicable today as it was then.
So many hopes for justice are pinned up the upcoming royal commission. And, on a lighter note: My wife Chanel was amazed how posh my voice sounded back then. That’s been knocked out of me in the past couple of decades.
Judges see through the false allegations and accusations. In the above case the very learned Judge made the correct decision and awarded full custody and SOLE PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY to the father. I was in the courtroom for the full 9 day hearing and the mothers case was seen for what it was after the first 2 days. What Hinch is saying is coming straight from the mothers mouth.Anna Friday 30 November, 2012 - 1:31 PM
Women are automatically charged with a crime when fleeing from abuse. Women who dare to speak up have their children taken away from them. For 30 years the government has enabled and encouraged paedophilia. Government attorneys, without question, return little ones to their molesters and abusers, while slandering and defaming the mothers who try to protect them. ALL women fleeing abuse are characterised as mentally ill, and abusers of drugs and alcohol while men are never questioned, never doubted. The shocking abuse of women and children by the government must be exposed.Melanie Grand Friday 30 November, 2012 - 10:23 AM
Onya Derryn for raising this and keeping at it!
Please circulate and sign this petition if you agree with it
http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/give-children-a-real-choice-and-a-real-voice-in-family-law-and-child-protection - will have to copy and paste into yr browser
Thanks and g'luck!Ariel Friday 30 November, 2012 - 7:11 AM
HELEN PATRICIA MOORE Australian baby and child killer originally sentenced to life her luck changed and after 12 yrs she was released she's as free as a bird. What an insult to those poor little victims nobody cared for them.mandy Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 8:26 PM
there is a little 4year old girl whos has been custody to her father with over whelming evidence of sexual abuse... and the vilenconce with eapon towards his x partenner and previous partner this a disgusting shame... who is protecting our children ... When the mother satnds up for her and protects her and a JUDGE calls this allinations ... what is the world comming... no charge and criminal investigation poor little popette has been put into the care of a preditor a monster in the cupboard ... please help her ... a survier of abuse ...KRYSTINA TURNER Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 5:58 PM
Dominic Lombardo--if you are the attorney from San Diego, how dare you make that comment when you helped my ex get away with his crime of sexually assaulting my son for many years. Thanks in part to you my ex got custody and continued sexually assaulting him until I took him into hiding for 3 years. Then he was sent back to his abuser. Attorneys and judges enable child rapists, especially in family courts. See the stats at www.SafeKidsInternational.orgCindy Dumas Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 5:25 PM