- Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial
- My last chance to help this child
- We abstain: the tense power struggle in Canberra
- Nothing has really changed in 20 years on the evil issue of child abuse
- Hinch accuses Oxfam of misleading customers over 'Unwrapped' gifts
- Don't drink and dive
- The $250,000 yacht people refugees
- Hinch challenges 'Dumb Ways To Die' creator
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colon Cleanse on A delicate, taboo issue: ... It what does a colon cleanse do tells us several things.And the Barrow Wake view point near Circencester has apparently ... more
- mandy on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Unfortunately I cannot concur - tired, tacky and tastless - boring, predictable - a complete waste of time and money. ... more
- natalie on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Very very clever performer. Loved his show in Adelaide tonight. Never a fan of Sir Les but Dame Edna is as sharp as ever. ... more
- allan usherwood on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Susan Littlesmith Take a trip to London we are already the laughing stock of the world. Bob Carr as foreign minister ... more
- Poida on No justice for Barry McKnight? I taught him. Idiot then, idiot now. His mother used to cover for him then and obviously still does. Is he in jail yet? ... more
- Me on Western Australia launches sex offender ... Never seen so much ill informed scare-mongering rubbish from people who don't know the difference between a rapist, porn ... more
- Boa Dicea on My last chance to help this child Derryn, you've been great before in sacrificing your freedom for the sake of victims of paedophilia, and now it's already ... more
- Donna Fletcher on My last chance to help this child Please help this baby. All children are our future and we are nothing if we can't do them justice. I have myself removed ... more
- Virginia Hunt on The paedophile priest living the good ... This is disgusting and has to stop good on you Derryn for naming these disgusting monsters. The Catholic Church has a lot to ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... Dear The Dean, I found your past most righteous or ridiculous, one of those anyway, you can work it out. "Abbott has ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... You say that their relentless attack on Abbott is working but Mr Abbott is a misogynist. He's proved it relentlessly. ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Gillard's gender war affecting the polls Mr Hinch, you are such a twirp. You are a bigot, a liar & another journo that stretches the very fabric of truth into a ... more
- Denise Austin on My last chance to help this child I hope and pray that the little girl is returned to her mother, every night before i go to sleep I ask God to keep the ... more
- R we there Yet on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Hi 3aw , it is a real shame Larrys site gets seemingly `interfered` with and supporters get blocked? If he is running a paid ... more
- Jo Montgomery on A special 95th birthday surprise I would love to send on Freda's interview for my Mother,she is a regular at the shop at Brentford Square.How do i go about ... more
- Hot Chunks on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... I wonder if She had not ever used the word "misogynist " to describe him them would other people think to use it ever at all ... more
- Sara on My last chance to help this child Please tell me this little girl isn't in her fathers care anymore.... I don't understand why she is made to live with her ... more
- kerry estoppey on Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial what a sad loss for melbourne, the world needs more people like Derryn Hinch, to expose injustice and provoke us to thought ... more
- Mikki on 'Craig, you’re no Atticus Finch' Stop wasting TaxPayers money on this PATHALOGICAL DISORDERED MAN and start educating society that his type is what ... more
- mary on My last chance to help this child Does anyone know if the mother has an appeal yet? And if so has it been heard? She could get a stay order, she would have ... more
Privacy breach at Hastie fire sale
Three years ago this month we broke a story about filing cabinets being dumped from the Berry Street child care facility. The cabinets were not cleared out before being sold at auction.
Personal files of troubled teenagers were tossed out.The files detailed their medical histories and criminal records plus details of abortions and drug addiction. Names, addresses, the lot. Some of the files less than six months old.
They came into my possession and I went public to try to make sure it didn’t happen again.
Well, a similar thing has happened. This time it is with the Hastie Group of companies which went into administration at the end of May. The Administrators are PPB Advisory and they are selling off office goods.
One of the companies in the group is Watters Electrical. Their office goods went up for inspection in Port Melbourne last week before being sold by GraysOnLine.
We were alerted on Friday Forum and promised to dig into it. PPB declined to come on air but gave us a statement which said in part: ‘We take any breach of our protocols seriously. While we are still investigating, it appears there has been an isolated breach in this case. We are taking steps to obtain further information and resolve this matter’.
Not so fast. I’m told by people I believe is that when people went to Watters Electrical to pick up the cabinets they had bought they ‘couldn’t believe their eyes’. There was stuff all over the office and the buyers just tossed aside the cabinets to empty them.
Why does that matter? Because of some of Watters clients. They wouldn’t want sensitive papers tossed around. Watters did electrical work for the Defence Department and the prison system. Places like Sale and Marngoneet. Did Watters paperwork include prison lay-outs?
And how about clients like Crown Casino Security Systems And No.4 Treasury Place? That’s the Commonwealth Government Offices. That’s where Melbourne-based Federal ministers work from when not in Canberra. And Monash Biotech.
I hear that since Friday’s program GraysOnLine have been contacting purchasers and arranging to pick the files up. One cabinet had a towel and a singlet in it but nobody’s claimed that.
PLAY: Dean Mighell, Secretary, Electrical Trades Union
Hinch is a former police rounds reporter, former foreign correspondent, former newspaper editor, former host of national current affairs shows, former novelist, former radio host in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, former MIDDAY host and former jailbird.
You whine when the shredders do their dastardly work as a company goes down, and you whine when they don't! Nobody gets paid to do the cleanup, so why should it be done by volunteers or management that have something to hide? The story is a bit dramtised isn't it - are you sure all this 'highly sensitive' stuff actually exists, or is this just somebody making a mountain out of a molehill?Solmon's Sword Thursday 19 July, 2012 - 4:00 AM
As a former Watters employee it just goes from bad to worse.... Not only did we lose our jobs and entitlements, but now we have been put at risk of identity theft with all our personal info in those cabinets. What more surprises can we expect. Thanks once again to Hastiegroup for destroying a once great company to work for.Lou Tuesday 17 July, 2012 - 8:30 PM