- Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial
- My last chance to help this child
- We abstain: the tense power struggle in Canberra
- Nothing has really changed in 20 years on the evil issue of child abuse
- Hinch accuses Oxfam of misleading customers over 'Unwrapped' gifts
- Don't drink and dive
- The $250,000 yacht people refugees
- Hinch challenges 'Dumb Ways To Die' creator
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colon Cleanse on A delicate, taboo issue: ... It what does a colon cleanse do tells us several things.And the Barrow Wake view point near Circencester has apparently ... more
- mandy on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Unfortunately I cannot concur - tired, tacky and tastless - boring, predictable - a complete waste of time and money. ... more
- natalie on Hinch Reviews Eat, Pray, Laugh! Barry ... Very very clever performer. Loved his show in Adelaide tonight. Never a fan of Sir Les but Dame Edna is as sharp as ever. ... more
- allan usherwood on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Susan Littlesmith Take a trip to London we are already the laughing stock of the world. Bob Carr as foreign minister ... more
- Poida on No justice for Barry McKnight? I taught him. Idiot then, idiot now. His mother used to cover for him then and obviously still does. Is he in jail yet? ... more
- Me on Western Australia launches sex offender ... Never seen so much ill informed scare-mongering rubbish from people who don't know the difference between a rapist, porn ... more
- Boa Dicea on My last chance to help this child Derryn, you've been great before in sacrificing your freedom for the sake of victims of paedophilia, and now it's already ... more
- Donna Fletcher on My last chance to help this child Please help this baby. All children are our future and we are nothing if we can't do them justice. I have myself removed ... more
- Virginia Hunt on The paedophile priest living the good ... This is disgusting and has to stop good on you Derryn for naming these disgusting monsters. The Catholic Church has a lot to ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... Dear The Dean, I found your past most righteous or ridiculous, one of those anyway, you can work it out. "Abbott has ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... You say that their relentless attack on Abbott is working but Mr Abbott is a misogynist. He's proved it relentlessly. ... more
- Rex Alfie Lee on Gillard's gender war affecting the polls Mr Hinch, you are such a twirp. You are a bigot, a liar & another journo that stretches the very fabric of truth into a ... more
- Denise Austin on My last chance to help this child I hope and pray that the little girl is returned to her mother, every night before i go to sleep I ask God to keep the ... more
- R we there Yet on Gillard and the AWU scandal: Larry ... Hi 3aw , it is a real shame Larrys site gets seemingly `interfered` with and supporters get blocked? If he is running a paid ... more
- Jo Montgomery on A special 95th birthday surprise I would love to send on Freda's interview for my Mother,she is a regular at the shop at Brentford Square.How do i go about ... more
- Hot Chunks on Is Abbott really as disliked as the ... I wonder if She had not ever used the word "misogynist " to describe him them would other people think to use it ever at all ... more
- Sara on My last chance to help this child Please tell me this little girl isn't in her fathers care anymore.... I don't understand why she is made to live with her ... more
- kerry estoppey on Derryn Hinch's final opening editorial what a sad loss for melbourne, the world needs more people like Derryn Hinch, to expose injustice and provoke us to thought ... more
- Mikki on 'Craig, you’re no Atticus Finch' Stop wasting TaxPayers money on this PATHALOGICAL DISORDERED MAN and start educating society that his type is what ... more
- mary on My last chance to help this child Does anyone know if the mother has an appeal yet? And if so has it been heard? She could get a stay order, she would have ... more
Sorry PM, but this issue hasn't gone away
This comes under the category of ‘Sorry, Prime Minister, but the issue hasn’t gone away’.
It concerns Julia Gillard’s time at Slater & Gordon in the 1990s. Her personal and professional involvement with Bruce Wilson. The theft of more than $400,000 dollars of money big companies thought they were giving to a legitimate union welfare fund. The ‘slush fund’ as the PM described it to her superiors during an investigation at Slate & Gordon. The purchase of a property in Carlton by Wilson – with allegedly stolen funds. An auction the self-described ‘ young and naïve’ Gillard attended. The conveyancing for the property that lawyer Gillard said she didn’t do and her then senior law partner said she did.
And now the claims in The Australian newspaper, with stat decs from a then union official describing how he deposited $5000 in cash in to a personal Julia Gillard bank account after being given the money by Wilson, her boyfriend, in 1995.
Now it is fine for the PM to have held an ambush media conference back in August and to attack the ‘ misogynists and nutjobs’ on the Internet and what she called ‘ false and defamatory’ stories in the Murdoch press.
It was clever to grab one small mistake in a story in the Australian which wrongly called the ‘slush fund’ a ‘ trust fund’.
But since then Prime Minister Gillard has stonewalled. Repeatedly has used that exhaustive press conference as proof she had been an open book, answered every question.
Made it clear: I did nothing wrong.
In her latest response, to the latest detailed stories and questions in the Australian yesterday and today, the PM’s office said: ‘ As The Australian is well are the Prime Minister has made clear on numerous occasions that she was not involved in any wrong doing.’
The spokesman also said: ‘I also note that, despite repeatedly being asked to do so, The Australian has been unable to substantiate any allegations of wrongdoing’.
It’s clever. But will it be enough? This story, which has, it is true, been played out mainly on the Internet has now entered mainstream media. The Age, the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian all have questions. Documents are now surfacing.
Some former union officials are prepared to talk to Police. The one argument Julia Gillard should not be using is that it all happened nearly 20 years ago.
That’s the line George Pell peddled when opposing a Royal Commission into paedophile priests.
There’s no statute of limitations when it comes to issues of truthfulness and character. Not when the dirt starts flying in an election year.
Hinch is a former police rounds reporter, former foreign correspondent, former newspaper editor, former host of national current affairs shows, former novelist, former radio host in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, former MIDDAY host and former jailbird.
Lissy & I say thtt5 The Isue has not gone but Gllard will soon be gone.JASON & MELISSA FROM BORONIA & FERNTREE GULY Saturday 24 November, 2012 - 7:10 PM
Labors waste and union fraud and corruption= a bad government garry, can't wait for Gillard and co to be dumped>!Steve Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 3:14 PM
Oh Garry, work choices again.
Labor= Lie's, Stealing Union Funds, Failed policy after failed policy, Wasted billions on flat screens and set top boxes, Desal plant, Myki, pink batts, Class Warfare, Grubby politics.
Liberal= ??? New party so who knows, sure to be better than the mob above.
So garry i have happy days to look forward to. When Gillard gets bumped and when she is charged with theft of AWU funds.The Dean Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 2:08 PM
labor=unions=fair wages and conditions. Howard=Abbott=Workchoices,howards time came and it was the greatest day of my familys life...garry Tuesday 20 November, 2012 - 8:53 PM
In my opinion, it's not about left or right, In the USA, i support the democrats, even though I'm a libertarian by nature, their hard right tea baggers are the same coin of which the present ALP & the unions, are the other side of the same coinage! Both the colour RED, I'M for the BLUE in both countries, for the decent people , our conservative party is far more moderate, so if we go down the path of the raging right or the loony left, we will be bound to an incompetent, devious union dominated ALP, WE HAVE TO WIN THE MIDDLE! THANKS DERRIN, I used to listen to you in the mid 70's when i lived in Melbourne and still think You're the BEST! Bailleau, Farell & Campbell , Newman are really decent men, I just wish the pee/bags would (covertly, ALP helpers) would SHUT UP! We don't need religious nutters to damage the REAL LIBERALS any more!niki Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 12:53 PM
Gillard has done a lot wrong over this awu fraud. More stories are coming out every day about this fraud. The longer Gillard doesnt make a statement about this whole thing, her credibility will continue to be eroded, and that she has something to hide in this fraud. Remember if it wasn't for Gillard the awu "workplace reform association" fraud would never have happened, she told the western australian corporate affairs commissioner that it was legitimate and the commissioner passed it. Wilson didn't convince the commissioner about this fraudulent association, it was Gillard!.kurt Saturday 17 November, 2012 - 5:20 AM