- Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: Forbes
- Jon Anderson rates the 'Four Kings': Duran, Hagler, Hearns & Leonard
- Mother's tears and pain over son's fatal accident
- Peter Slipper MP formally charged with fraud
- Charges could be laid over Swanston Street wall collapse: court told
- Operation Unification: Police across country target illegal firearms
- Elderly man fighting for life, police hunt truck driver
- Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to death in street
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim Whiteside on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Hi Guys, I've been listening to the ABC for a lifetime but really had enough of Red Symonds who ,so self-obsessed ... more
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
$3,000 fine for Scotsman who glassed St Kilda cafe patron
A Scottish national has been fined $3,000 for glassing an Acland Street cafe patron late last month.
Richard James Goldie, 24, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard the Scotsman glassed a man who was sitting with friends at an Acland Street cafe in the early hours of 27 December.
WATCH: CCTV: Glassing attack - Acland Street, St Kilda
He later told police he had been drinking for 14 hours and didn't remember the details, but said the victim's friends were being cheeky. Goldie said thought he was going to be assaulted and get a kicking, so he panicked.
The court heard while Goldie required stitches to a finger, the victim did not require any stitches.
Goldie's lawyer said he was mortified by his own actions and was about to return home after completing a working holiday visa.
Nathan Hedley, who was attacked in a glassing in Mildura in 2007, told Nick McCallum he was not surprised with the $3,000 fine handed to Goldie.
"Ever since it happened to me and obviously people before me, nothing has really been done about it," he said.
Mr Hedley received 140 stitches to his face, with his attacker receiving just 14 months in jail on appeal.
"Like most other crimes these days... he (my attacker) got let off pretty cheaply," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's (an) incentive. It's giving people (an) incentive to do it knowing they'll get away with it."
3AW Drive presenter Nick McCallum said the fact Goldie was issued with a fine was 'all a matter of expedience', and glassings should be treated far more seriously by the court system.
"Goldie was due to leave the country on Thursday, so the Magistrate fined him to get a guilty plea and get it all neatly wrapped up," he said.
"Glassing is becoming more and more prevalent in nightclubs,pubs and cafes. By its nature it’s spontaneous, vicious and comes from nowhere. It should be treated like stabbing.
"Goldie’s slap on the wrist is an insult to the victim and an insult to all glassing victims."
LISTEN: Victim of a glassing in Mildura in 2007, Nathan Hedley, speaks with Nick McCallum:
this is the problem...no consequences to actions..
Should have been convicted,jailed,deported.Never to come back.
Need to have a pollies child be assaulted..bet the laws would be inforced then..
Judges are a joke...good ole boy's job..michelle Friday 11 January, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Gee they breed em tough in Scotland.This guy has to go down as the biggest gutless wonder of all time. He works out quickly that these guys aren't fighters so will be easy targets.He stabs the guy in the face when he's clearly not expecting trouble then runs away as fast as he can. Problem is we have the most PC and gutless judges in the world, $3,000 fine must be gutrenching for the victim and his family.David Thursday 10 January, 2013 - 4:37 PM
Glassing is serious crime of assault and grevious bodily harm and should warrant stiff jail sentence,and even the fact that person had been drinking warrants charges of drunk and disorderly. The sentence is nothing but disgusting and belittles and humiliates an innocent human being When I hear some one going around saying: I can't understand why they want to be called 'Your Honor' When they don't seem to have any! I aggree.Dominic Lombardo Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 7:51 PM
Deport the moron after serving time to pay off the fine and enforce compensationmike Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Nothing will happen to fix the sentencing being inadequate until the child of a Judge, magistrate or senior Politician is glassed and left with severe injuries.
Then it will be too late and should have been avoided. Until then....the public will wear it as nobody really does anything.There is no money in it for anyone..is there?
VicPol is happy if the streets are running with blood and statistics show less than 20 arrests in a night. There is no KPI to eradicate such behaviour.Bob Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 3:41 PM
I can see the moths flying out of his unopened "WALLET". "MORON".IAN Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 2:50 PM