- VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick Samantha
- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Geoff on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... With society up to its boots in politics and living in its own little world, this is what is really important. While we ... more
- Jennifer Williams on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I think that puppy knows she is there for a very special reason. Four tissues later and I'm still going. Such a sad story, ... more
- LisaJ on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Well done Neil and 3AW. Such a nice story after yesterdays news. more
- Helen on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I'm sure Pixie will bring a lot of joy to Samantha, Ashley and the family at this difficult time for them all.Kind thoughts ... more
- andy on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... hope young pixie gives samantha a distaction from the other things going onthe 3 aw community has restored my faith in ... more
- carol on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Driving while crying! kept looking across to see if I was not the only one, then a guy rang in and said he was doing exactly ... more
- paul on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Hi Neil I've just watched the video of pixie being delivered. I have tears rolling you are a legend!!! Christmas WISHES to ... more
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
$3,000 fine for Scotsman who glassed St Kilda cafe patron
A Scottish national has been fined $3,000 for glassing an Acland Street cafe patron late last month.
Richard James Goldie, 24, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard the Scotsman glassed a man who was sitting with friends at an Acland Street cafe in the early hours of 27 December.
WATCH: CCTV: Glassing attack - Acland Street, St Kilda
He later told police he had been drinking for 14 hours and didn't remember the details, but said the victim's friends were being cheeky. Goldie said thought he was going to be assaulted and get a kicking, so he panicked.
The court heard while Goldie required stitches to a finger, the victim did not require any stitches.
Goldie's lawyer said he was mortified by his own actions and was about to return home after completing a working holiday visa.
Nathan Hedley, who was attacked in a glassing in Mildura in 2007, told Nick McCallum he was not surprised with the $3,000 fine handed to Goldie.
"Ever since it happened to me and obviously people before me, nothing has really been done about it," he said.
Mr Hedley received 140 stitches to his face, with his attacker receiving just 14 months in jail on appeal.
"Like most other crimes these days... he (my attacker) got let off pretty cheaply," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's (an) incentive. It's giving people (an) incentive to do it knowing they'll get away with it."
3AW Drive presenter Nick McCallum said the fact Goldie was issued with a fine was 'all a matter of expedience', and glassings should be treated far more seriously by the court system.
"Goldie was due to leave the country on Thursday, so the Magistrate fined him to get a guilty plea and get it all neatly wrapped up," he said.
"Glassing is becoming more and more prevalent in nightclubs,pubs and cafes. By its nature it’s spontaneous, vicious and comes from nowhere. It should be treated like stabbing.
"Goldie’s slap on the wrist is an insult to the victim and an insult to all glassing victims."
LISTEN: Victim of a glassing in Mildura in 2007, Nathan Hedley, speaks with Nick McCallum:
this is the problem...no consequences to actions..
Should have been convicted,jailed,deported.Never to come back.
Need to have a pollies child be assaulted..bet the laws would be inforced then..
Judges are a joke...good ole boy's job..michelle Friday 11 January, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Gee they breed em tough in Scotland.This guy has to go down as the biggest gutless wonder of all time. He works out quickly that these guys aren't fighters so will be easy targets.He stabs the guy in the face when he's clearly not expecting trouble then runs away as fast as he can. Problem is we have the most PC and gutless judges in the world, $3,000 fine must be gutrenching for the victim and his family.David Thursday 10 January, 2013 - 4:37 PM
Glassing is serious crime of assault and grevious bodily harm and should warrant stiff jail sentence,and even the fact that person had been drinking warrants charges of drunk and disorderly. The sentence is nothing but disgusting and belittles and humiliates an innocent human being When I hear some one going around saying: I can't understand why they want to be called 'Your Honor' When they don't seem to have any! I aggree.Dominic Lombardo Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 7:51 PM
Deport the moron after serving time to pay off the fine and enforce compensationmike Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Nothing will happen to fix the sentencing being inadequate until the child of a Judge, magistrate or senior Politician is glassed and left with severe injuries.
Then it will be too late and should have been avoided. Until then....the public will wear it as nobody really does anything.There is no money in it for anyone..is there?
VicPol is happy if the streets are running with blood and statistics show less than 20 arrests in a night. There is no KPI to eradicate such behaviour.Bob Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 3:41 PM
I can see the moths flying out of his unopened "WALLET". "MORON".IAN Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 2:50 PM