- Full James Hird statement
- Woman arrested over racist train assault
- Detective of the Year, Wayne Cheeseman, with Ross, John and Sly
- Ebola virus diagnosed in the US
- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Milton on Full James Hird statement Essendon can't sack Hird for choosing to pursue his legal rights. Go for it James. more
- acetrim on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US Why do people who come come back from Ebola infested places go into quarantine we quarantine plants and animals more
- Linda on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US How hard would it be to quarantine people coming in from affected countries for a couple of weeks? Inconvenient yes, but ... more
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
$3,000 fine for Scotsman who glassed St Kilda cafe patron
A Scottish national has been fined $3,000 for glassing an Acland Street cafe patron late last month.
Richard James Goldie, 24, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard the Scotsman glassed a man who was sitting with friends at an Acland Street cafe in the early hours of 27 December.
WATCH: CCTV: Glassing attack - Acland Street, St Kilda
He later told police he had been drinking for 14 hours and didn't remember the details, but said the victim's friends were being cheeky. Goldie said thought he was going to be assaulted and get a kicking, so he panicked.
The court heard while Goldie required stitches to a finger, the victim did not require any stitches.
Goldie's lawyer said he was mortified by his own actions and was about to return home after completing a working holiday visa.
Nathan Hedley, who was attacked in a glassing in Mildura in 2007, told Nick McCallum he was not surprised with the $3,000 fine handed to Goldie.
"Ever since it happened to me and obviously people before me, nothing has really been done about it," he said.
Mr Hedley received 140 stitches to his face, with his attacker receiving just 14 months in jail on appeal.
"Like most other crimes these days... he (my attacker) got let off pretty cheaply," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's (an) incentive. It's giving people (an) incentive to do it knowing they'll get away with it."
3AW Drive presenter Nick McCallum said the fact Goldie was issued with a fine was 'all a matter of expedience', and glassings should be treated far more seriously by the court system.
"Goldie was due to leave the country on Thursday, so the Magistrate fined him to get a guilty plea and get it all neatly wrapped up," he said.
"Glassing is becoming more and more prevalent in nightclubs,pubs and cafes. By its nature it’s spontaneous, vicious and comes from nowhere. It should be treated like stabbing.
"Goldie’s slap on the wrist is an insult to the victim and an insult to all glassing victims."
LISTEN: Victim of a glassing in Mildura in 2007, Nathan Hedley, speaks with Nick McCallum:
this is the problem...no consequences to actions..
Should have been convicted,jailed,deported.Never to come back.
Need to have a pollies child be assaulted..bet the laws would be inforced then..
Judges are a joke...good ole boy's job..michelle Friday 11 January, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Gee they breed em tough in Scotland.This guy has to go down as the biggest gutless wonder of all time. He works out quickly that these guys aren't fighters so will be easy targets.He stabs the guy in the face when he's clearly not expecting trouble then runs away as fast as he can. Problem is we have the most PC and gutless judges in the world, $3,000 fine must be gutrenching for the victim and his family.David Thursday 10 January, 2013 - 4:37 PM
Glassing is serious crime of assault and grevious bodily harm and should warrant stiff jail sentence,and even the fact that person had been drinking warrants charges of drunk and disorderly. The sentence is nothing but disgusting and belittles and humiliates an innocent human being When I hear some one going around saying: I can't understand why they want to be called 'Your Honor' When they don't seem to have any! I aggree.Dominic Lombardo Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 7:51 PM
Deport the moron after serving time to pay off the fine and enforce compensationmike Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Nothing will happen to fix the sentencing being inadequate until the child of a Judge, magistrate or senior Politician is glassed and left with severe injuries.
Then it will be too late and should have been avoided. Until then....the public will wear it as nobody really does anything.There is no money in it for anyone..is there?
VicPol is happy if the streets are running with blood and statistics show less than 20 arrests in a night. There is no KPI to eradicate such behaviour.Bob Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 3:41 PM
I can see the moths flying out of his unopened "WALLET". "MORON".IAN Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 2:50 PM