- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- Woman badly burned in shocking Ardeer assault
- Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow
- Man arrested after home invasion
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
$3,000 fine for Scotsman who glassed St Kilda cafe patron
A Scottish national has been fined $3,000 for glassing an Acland Street cafe patron late last month.
Richard James Goldie, 24, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard the Scotsman glassed a man who was sitting with friends at an Acland Street cafe in the early hours of 27 December.
WATCH: CCTV: Glassing attack - Acland Street, St Kilda
He later told police he had been drinking for 14 hours and didn't remember the details, but said the victim's friends were being cheeky. Goldie said thought he was going to be assaulted and get a kicking, so he panicked.
The court heard while Goldie required stitches to a finger, the victim did not require any stitches.
Goldie's lawyer said he was mortified by his own actions and was about to return home after completing a working holiday visa.
Nathan Hedley, who was attacked in a glassing in Mildura in 2007, told Nick McCallum he was not surprised with the $3,000 fine handed to Goldie.
"Ever since it happened to me and obviously people before me, nothing has really been done about it," he said.
Mr Hedley received 140 stitches to his face, with his attacker receiving just 14 months in jail on appeal.
"Like most other crimes these days... he (my attacker) got let off pretty cheaply," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's (an) incentive. It's giving people (an) incentive to do it knowing they'll get away with it."
3AW Drive presenter Nick McCallum said the fact Goldie was issued with a fine was 'all a matter of expedience', and glassings should be treated far more seriously by the court system.
"Goldie was due to leave the country on Thursday, so the Magistrate fined him to get a guilty plea and get it all neatly wrapped up," he said.
"Glassing is becoming more and more prevalent in nightclubs,pubs and cafes. By its nature it’s spontaneous, vicious and comes from nowhere. It should be treated like stabbing.
"Goldie’s slap on the wrist is an insult to the victim and an insult to all glassing victims."
LISTEN: Victim of a glassing in Mildura in 2007, Nathan Hedley, speaks with Nick McCallum:
this is the problem...no consequences to actions..
Should have been convicted,jailed,deported.Never to come back.
Need to have a pollies child be assaulted..bet the laws would be inforced then..
Judges are a joke...good ole boy's job..michelle Friday 11 January, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Gee they breed em tough in Scotland.This guy has to go down as the biggest gutless wonder of all time. He works out quickly that these guys aren't fighters so will be easy targets.He stabs the guy in the face when he's clearly not expecting trouble then runs away as fast as he can. Problem is we have the most PC and gutless judges in the world, $3,000 fine must be gutrenching for the victim and his family.David Thursday 10 January, 2013 - 4:37 PM
Glassing is serious crime of assault and grevious bodily harm and should warrant stiff jail sentence,and even the fact that person had been drinking warrants charges of drunk and disorderly. The sentence is nothing but disgusting and belittles and humiliates an innocent human being When I hear some one going around saying: I can't understand why they want to be called 'Your Honor' When they don't seem to have any! I aggree.Dominic Lombardo Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 7:51 PM
Deport the moron after serving time to pay off the fine and enforce compensationmike Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Nothing will happen to fix the sentencing being inadequate until the child of a Judge, magistrate or senior Politician is glassed and left with severe injuries.
Then it will be too late and should have been avoided. Until then....the public will wear it as nobody really does anything.There is no money in it for anyone..is there?
VicPol is happy if the streets are running with blood and statistics show less than 20 arrests in a night. There is no KPI to eradicate such behaviour.Bob Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 3:41 PM
I can see the moths flying out of his unopened "WALLET". "MORON".IAN Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 2:50 PM