- Bombers battered in court
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on Bombers battered in court About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on Bombers battered in court Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on Bombers battered in court I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on Bombers battered in court Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
$3,000 fine for Scotsman who glassed St Kilda cafe patron
A Scottish national has been fined $3,000 for glassing an Acland Street cafe patron late last month.
Richard James Goldie, 24, pleaded guilty to intentionally causing injury after the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard the Scotsman glassed a man who was sitting with friends at an Acland Street cafe in the early hours of 27 December.
WATCH: CCTV: Glassing attack - Acland Street, St Kilda
He later told police he had been drinking for 14 hours and didn't remember the details, but said the victim's friends were being cheeky. Goldie said thought he was going to be assaulted and get a kicking, so he panicked.
The court heard while Goldie required stitches to a finger, the victim did not require any stitches.
Goldie's lawyer said he was mortified by his own actions and was about to return home after completing a working holiday visa.
Nathan Hedley, who was attacked in a glassing in Mildura in 2007, told Nick McCallum he was not surprised with the $3,000 fine handed to Goldie.
"Ever since it happened to me and obviously people before me, nothing has really been done about it," he said.
Mr Hedley received 140 stitches to his face, with his attacker receiving just 14 months in jail on appeal.
"Like most other crimes these days... he (my attacker) got let off pretty cheaply," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's (an) incentive. It's giving people (an) incentive to do it knowing they'll get away with it."
3AW Drive presenter Nick McCallum said the fact Goldie was issued with a fine was 'all a matter of expedience', and glassings should be treated far more seriously by the court system.
"Goldie was due to leave the country on Thursday, so the Magistrate fined him to get a guilty plea and get it all neatly wrapped up," he said.
"Glassing is becoming more and more prevalent in nightclubs,pubs and cafes. By its nature it’s spontaneous, vicious and comes from nowhere. It should be treated like stabbing.
"Goldie’s slap on the wrist is an insult to the victim and an insult to all glassing victims."
LISTEN: Victim of a glassing in Mildura in 2007, Nathan Hedley, speaks with Nick McCallum:
this is the problem...no consequences to actions..
Should have been convicted,jailed,deported.Never to come back.
Need to have a pollies child be assaulted..bet the laws would be inforced then..
Judges are a joke...good ole boy's job..michelle Friday 11 January, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Gee they breed em tough in Scotland.This guy has to go down as the biggest gutless wonder of all time. He works out quickly that these guys aren't fighters so will be easy targets.He stabs the guy in the face when he's clearly not expecting trouble then runs away as fast as he can. Problem is we have the most PC and gutless judges in the world, $3,000 fine must be gutrenching for the victim and his family.David Thursday 10 January, 2013 - 4:37 PM
Glassing is serious crime of assault and grevious bodily harm and should warrant stiff jail sentence,and even the fact that person had been drinking warrants charges of drunk and disorderly. The sentence is nothing but disgusting and belittles and humiliates an innocent human being When I hear some one going around saying: I can't understand why they want to be called 'Your Honor' When they don't seem to have any! I aggree.Dominic Lombardo Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 7:51 PM
Deport the moron after serving time to pay off the fine and enforce compensationmike Wednesday 9 January, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Nothing will happen to fix the sentencing being inadequate until the child of a Judge, magistrate or senior Politician is glassed and left with severe injuries.
Then it will be too late and should have been avoided. Until then....the public will wear it as nobody really does anything.There is no money in it for anyone..is there?
VicPol is happy if the streets are running with blood and statistics show less than 20 arrests in a night. There is no KPI to eradicate such behaviour.Bob Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 3:41 PM
I can see the moths flying out of his unopened "WALLET". "MORON".IAN Tuesday 8 January, 2013 - 2:50 PM