- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
7pm let David Hicks off the hook?
3AW NEWS: Convicted terrorist David Hicks says he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when arrested at Al Qaeda training camps.
Hicks denies ever meeting Osama Bin Laden saying the leader was a guest speaker at training camps.
Hicks has told Channel 10 he was tortured for up to ten hours at a time at Guantanamo Bay leaving him psychologically damaged.
DERRYN HINCH (MAY 24, 2011): Something has been gnawing at me since the weekend. And it came up again today when I saw the Herald Sun Page One picture of our latest casualty in Afghanistan. Sergeant Brett Wood.
It was part of a five-page tribute to the war hero and the Diggers fighting in Afghanistan. Including two of his patrol who were also seriously wounded in that roadside bomb attack. One may not survive.
So why hark back to the weekend? Well, while Wood and his fellow soldiers were risking their lives in the War Against Terror in what Kevin Rudd once called ‘this god-forsaken place’ a bunch of w--kers were giving a standing ovation to an Australian traitor.
A quisling called David Hicks was being honoured as guest speaker at the taxpayer-assisted Sydney Writers’ Conference to plug his new book. His craven rewrite of history about who he is and what he did fighting alongside the Taliban against Allied soldiers.
If you believe the born-again Hicks he was just a misguided tourist. Didn’t even know who or what al-Qaeda was until recently. That macho shot of him heavily-armed as a Kosovo mercenary? Just a lad fooling around for the camera.
Hicks sat alongside his now-proud Dad Terry as 900 people gave him a standing ovation and then queued to buy signed copies of his book.
There were no embarrassing questions from the media because Hicks refused to take any.
But if you go back to the letters he sent home from the front while training with the Taliban you get some answers.
He talked about undergoing weapons training that included ‘anti-aircraft and anti-tank rockets, rapid-fire heavy and light machineguns, pistols, AK47s.’ His words.
He went to Kashmir, courtesy of the al-Qaeda-connected Islamic terrorist group called Lashkar-e-Taiba. They’re the murderous mob who launched the multiple assaults on Mumbai in 2008 killing more than 160 people.
In his book Hicks says: ‘We did not fire upon Indian soldiers or any other people. We only engaged in the symbolic exchange of fire’. In that ‘symbolic exchange’ two children were killed.
Yet, in a letter Hicks wrote in August 2000, he boasted ‘I got to fire hundreds of bullets. There are not many countries in the world where a tourist, according to his visa, can go and stay with the army and shoot across the border at its enemy, legally’.
And, about eight months later, in another letter he wrote:
"By the way I have met Osama bin Laden 20 times now, lovely brother, everything for the cause of Islam. The only reason the West calls him the most wanted Muslim is because he's got the money to take action."
Last year Hicks made a video appearance on Q & A. That was the night another ‘hero’ threw a shoe at John Howard.
In response to a Hicks question about Guantanemo Bay, the former Prime Minister said: ‘Isn’t it a great country that allows this sort of exchange to occur’.
And he was right. Under the Taliban, for whom Hicks was fighting, he would never have received such freedom of speech. Or freedom of movement after pleading guilty to terrorism charges.
It is true that Hicks was treated badly. No person should spend five years in a jail without being charged. Justice delayed is justice denied. But don’t forget this man is a traitor. As Mohammed Dawood he ‘engaged in combat against coalition forces’.
That’s what he pleaded guilty to.
Watching people applauding this man in the ABC audience last year and again at the Writers’ Festival at the weekend made me cringe.
David Hicks is a traitor. Last October, I said: There are 21 reasons why Hicks should not be treated with respect let alone as some sort of martyr. And those 21 reasons each has the name of a dead Aussie soldier alongside it.
Sadly, today, you can now make that 24.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Adam, where do I write anything remotely saying that?
On the contrary I always say how NATO bombed the Christians in order to be Islam's personal airforce.
David Hicks fought on the Muslims side there and that shows a pattern of his behaviour, so how can anyone assume he was innocent in Afghanistan?
So no, I am not glad about NATO bombing Serbia in order to help Islam radicals.Peggy Friday 2 September, 2011 - 1:58 PM
Dr Gideon Polya. I did what you said and Googled "US did 9/11".several sites appeared one of which was very interestingly written by a guy called ABDULL !!and they are all listed as conspiracy theories!Whilst there i also googled other fairy tales like Snow White and the seven dwarfs, Hansell & Gretal among others, you should have a look at these because they are about your level of intellegence!As i have said before you,re a NUTCASE!Darrell Friday 2 September, 2011 - 11:31 AM
HeY Peggy - you were for NATO bombing the serbs into oblivion werent you???adam Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 9:13 PM
Dr Gideon, fine but can you please answer what he was doing in Kosovo, Kashmir and Afghanistan in the first place?
Can you answer what he was doing with the KLA? Photographs don't lie. He was photographed there.
Now if that is not evidence of him taking up arms with his Muslim brothers around the world then what is?
Being prepared to fire against Australian troops is against the law I would imagine.
So until you explain to us what he was doing in those places you really cannot say he is innocent.
Please do provide some answer and don't divert from the question.Peggy Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 3:47 PM
Dr Gideon i have a personal friend who was on site when 9/11 happened, he can assure you they were,nt butterflys that hit the WTC,you have just demonstated with that dribble what a complete NUTTER you really are ! If you are a teacher and ram that sort of garbage down the throats of students christ help the future of this country!As for Hicks well i wont even go there its hardly worth the bother but the moron deserved everything he got!Darrell Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 3:39 PM
David Hicks has committed no abuses of humanity, has broken no Australian laws and only pleaded guilty to absurd American charges after 5 years of torture imposed by the Americans with the complicity of the Australian Government. In contrast, successive Lib-Lab Australian Governments are complicit in US Alliance war crimes in Occupied Afghanistan where UN data inform that 2.7 million under-5 year old infants have died since 2001, 90% avoidably and due to US Alliance war crimes in gross violation of the Geneva Convention (Google Afghan Holocaust, Afghan Genocide). And as for 9-11, science, engineering , architecture, aviation, military and intelligence experts say that the US Government itself was clearly responsible for the 9-11 atrocity, most obviously the explosive demolition of the 3 WTC buildings (3,000 killed on 9-11)(Google "US did 9-11").Dr Gideon Polya Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 8:11 AM