- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- Woman badly burned in shocking Ardeer assault
- Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Air Australia goes under
UPDATE: Up to 4,000 passengers stranded by the grounding of budget airline Air Australia have been told they're on their own.
The airline suspended all flights early this morning after calling in administrators.
About 300 people have lost their jobs at the Brisbane-based carrier.
Holidaymakers in Thailand, Bali and Hawaii are among those who have been left without a flight home.
Passenger Michael, who was on his honeymoon in Thailand, says they're desperately trying to find a way to get back to Australia.
Meantime the Gillard Government says it will do what it can to help those stranded passengers.
Qantas and Jetstar are also looking to accomodate holiday makers but say their flights are almost full already.
Both airlines will look at adding extra services.
*Scroll down to hear Ross and John's chats with a stranded passenger, a travel agent and the program reporter who highlights the bureaucratic handballing now taking place*
EARLIER: Hundreds of Australian travellers are stranded overseas after troubled budget airline Air Australia dived into administration today.
At least two international flights bound for Melbourne - from Phuket and Honolulu - have been grounded, leaving travellers stuck in Phuket and Honolulu.
Five domestic flights between Brisbane to Melbourne today have also been cancelled.
Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has offered to try to help stuck travellers.
"Jetstar is looking at adding supplementary services to help those passengers,’’ Mr Joyce told the Seven Network. He said Qantas would also try to add services.
"If the (Air Australia) passengers come to a Qantas desk, a Jestar desk, show their ticket, we’ll give them a ticket for the same value they’ve paid with Air Australia, so they don’t have to pay anymore and they can try and recover that fare from their travel agencies or their credit card suppliers,’’ he said.
Caller Katerina told Melbourne radio that she and about 300 other passengers booked on the Air Australia flight due to arrive in Melbourne from Phuket this morning learnt at midnight the airline had gone bankrupt.
"They gave us a letter on Air Australia letterhead saying that they had gone into administration and pretty much find 'your own way home',’’ she told 3AW Breakfast.
Another stranded passenger, Sarah McGavin, said travellers at Phuket were originally told little about what was going on.
"We have been told that the flight was delayed twice and then nothing for several hours," she told the Nine Network. "Then we had passengers go up and ask, the rumour mill went around that they had gone into administration."
She said that she has managed to get another flight back to Melbourne, but others were not so lucky.
"Three friends that I am travelling with now have to leave the airport to an internet cafe and they’re not flying out for another 48 hours. It’s costing a lot of money,’’ she said.
A Melbourne Airport spokeswoman said a Honolulu flight due to arrive in Melbourne at 5.25pm had also been grounded.
''All Air Australia flights have been cancelled,'' the spokeswoman said.
In a statement on its website the company says the director of the Air Australia group of companies has appointed John Park and Mark Korda of KordaMentha as voluntary administrators today.
The Brisbane-based carrier, previously known as Strategic Airlines, and relaunched in November 2011, has flown domestic routes and to Bali, Honolulu and Phuket.
Melbourne to Brisbane (11.20am, 5.45pm)
Brisbane to Melbourne (9.40am, 10.40am, 5pm)
Melbourne to Phuket (11.25am)
Melbourne to Honolulu (7pm)
Phuket to Melbourne (8.25am)
Honolulu to Melbourne (5.25am)
- Georgia Wilkins, The Age
PLAY: Jeff, an affected passenger, speaks to Ross and John
Qantas will cut about 500 jobs as a result of a review of its maintenance and catering businesses, early retirement of aircraft and the ditching of two international routes. Read the latest here and listen to Hinch's related interview.
Australia cannot compete with Asian based airlines internationally. End of story. The abolishment of workchoices didn't help airlines either as all wages doubled overnight according to garry.jason Monday 20 February, 2012 - 8:14 AM
I booked a family holiday to Phuket on the 6-2-12 through the supposedly reputable travel agent Flightcentre. Only 8 business days after booking and spending $4900 dollars on australian airlines tickets the airline goes into receivership.
I would have thought Flightcentre would have had some idea that Australian Airlines were in some trouble prior to me making this booking.
Thats not all, I asked the travel agent for fully comprehensive travel insurance that will cover me and my family for every aspect of my holiday, only to find out after the fact that this insurance policy did not cover Australian Airlines. Travel sure had stopped insuring Australian airlines from the beginning of December 2011. That tells me that someone new something. This very important aspect of the policy was not disclosed to me upon purchase. If flightcentre new I was flying with Australian airlines surely this information should have been disclosed to me upon purchase.
Why sell me that insurance with those airline tickets knowing that I am not covered. Australian Airlines should not have been taking bookings if they were aware they were in this much financial strife.
Baton down the hatches people because this country is going to the dogs.
I want my hard earned money back, I have been robbed by corporate greed and someone needs to pay.Mark Sunday 19 February, 2012 - 8:52 PM
Melissa & I say that Virgin Australia should buy Air Australia from their Administators and bring Air Australia into ti Virgin Australia fold.JASON & MELISSA FROM BORNIA & FERNTREE Sunday 19 February, 2012 - 5:56 AM
When Gillard and Labor are Dumped Big Time , send them individual bills for all the damage they have caused.Include the 4 Billion its costing us Tax payers to keep detainees.Send them all packing, Labor and the detainees, in the same plane, save us a bucket load.janet p Friday 17 February, 2012 - 6:01 PM
Mylene both Labor and Liberal are in a race to sell out the country and Labor are winning that race. Both of them have privatised our assets and I hope one of these days a politician will be charged with Treason.Mark Friday 17 February, 2012 - 1:10 PM
ACTUALLY WHERE TALK ABOUT NOW...MORON... NOT YESTER YEARS..GET IT RIGHT .GILLARDKEN Friday 17 February, 2012 - 12:49 PM