- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Andrew Demetriou just doesn't get it
This morning Andrew Demetriou said he’d done a good job running the AFL over the past 10 years.
He said there wasn’t much more the AFL could do about drugs, while at the same committing to do more in the wake of yesterday's revelations by the ACC.
Back in 2002, former Sydney Swan Dale Lewis was ridiculed for claiming that many AFL players use drugs – yet now we have the 3 strikes policy.
Demetriou also denied ferociously any suggestion that tanking occurred in the AFL – until players like Brock McLean began putting their hands up and saying they did indeed lose games in order to secure draft picks.
The use of performance enhancing drugs is now front and centre since Essendon’s revelations just days ago, yet AD was nowhere to be seen for a couple of days.
Like all big businesses, the AFL hates bad news and will do what it can to suppress any story that might tarnish its reputation.
It is in the nature of companies to cover things up so that their customers don’t take their business elsewhere and in the AFL’s case, that means kids taking up alternative sports, and fans not stumping up cash for seats, memberships and foxtel subs to watch games.
Any other business that suffered the equivalent of tanking and widespread drug use in its ranks would see the CEO sacked, but is this likely at the AFL?
For some reason it seems not…
JUSTIN SMITH: When this is all over, and the full story runs onto the field, the people who paid their money, sat in the cold and cried at losses will be owed an apology. And it had better be a bloody good one.
A lot of big talk here for an investigation not even completed! I find it amazing so many trolls come out of the wood work to bask AD and AFL. I for one have serious questions about the investigation, 1st if they had these informants/wire tapes and other evidence why did they wait a year for the report to be given prior to investigation......If you have the evidence do you let other innocent parties get caught up in it by waiting or do you act.
2nd why was the report tabled after a Federal election was announced......wouldn't it be prudent to anounce findings at the begining of the off season rather than the week before the footy season launch
3rd why gloss over serious issues with match fixing overseas with soccer............but say although 40 mil bet on one A League match there's nothing to worry about....then there is announcements of Melb Vic playing Liverpool less than one week after report.
Now there is talk of amnesty's for offenders in NRL
Call me synical but there is alot that doesnt add up......Fitz Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:17 PM
News Flash! the AFL has just signed Lance Armstrong to sing at the Grand Final!
He's to sing Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done" and Essendon's coaching squad are to sing backing vocals...should be good!Jim Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:31 PM
Thanks for stuffing-up the AFL.
Rampant drug taking and "tanking ' have ruined the game while on your watch.
What a poor example for young supporters!
Why should I take my kids to an AFL game knowing it has probably been fixed and the players are likely high on steroids!
No more AFL games for my family.
Will not renew my Essendon membership until you either quit as CEO or are sacked!AllanP Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:07 PM
Andrew Demetriou needs a reality check quick.
He is paid handsomely for his job as is job as CEO of the AFL but it seems you have you have taken little interest in the welfare of the AFL as you travel the world and swan around your 7 million dollar house and drive your luxury car(s).
Seems Andrew you have been sleeping on the job and now you been caught out.
No Andrew, no amount of talking is going to save you or your job this time.
You are obviously avoiding the media to avoid further damage control to yourself . You seem to be saying "to hell "with the AFL and its genuine supporters.
I have a truism for you Andrew.
Where there is big money criminal activities closely follow.
Look about you. You a bound to lose your privileged position and salary. Perhaps even, dare I say, you might not be able to afford to be a member of the Qantas Club!
Maybe I'll see you at the MCG sitting with other mums and dads eating a meat pie.
No more executive box for you!
Why is this bound to happen Andrew?
It is because you have been a dismal failure os CEO of the once proud AFL!AllanP Monday 11 February, 2013 - 12:49 PM
@Phillip Malone ... learn the difference between your and you're .... YOU'RE doing my head in with YOUR ignorance.Sue Monday 11 February, 2013 - 9:22 AM
The Big Fat Greek should stand down; like a parliamentarian he is full of hot air.Barraman Monday 11 February, 2013 - 9:10 AM