- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- Australian troops land in Middle East for 'mission - not war'
- Girl, 11, flees windowless van
- Woman killed in Cranbourne horse fall
- Burnt body discovered along train tracks
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
- Sue Hughes on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Such inconsiderate behaviour from so-called adults. I suspect these people have just moved in and couldn't care less about ... more
- Kathy on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... What happened to consideration and common sense mr and mrsÂ cubbins? I hope your made to pay to clean up your ... more
- Rick on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Simple solution as the neighbor who had their roller door blocked.Nissan Patrol + 4000kg snap strap.Rip it right off the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... This is crazy no one should own a lane way. Maybe in 1887 there was no lane way and it was a dirt horse trail. For once I am ... more
- Johnno on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Solicitor's and barrister's rubbing their hands over another prolonged adverse possession case. more
- Rob Jackson on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... How ridiculous...people are so stupid. Why would you put a roller door in that spot unless you were just trying to ... more
- Peter on Does Collingwood still want Lumumba? The best thing Collingwood could do would be to get rid of this clown! Too precious and full of his own importance! more
- jgl Melb on Does Collingwood still want Lumumba? When,not if,he walks out he'll do so in an upright manner.The chip on each shoulder will take care of that. more
Andrew Demetriou just doesn't get it
This morning Andrew Demetriou said he’d done a good job running the AFL over the past 10 years.
He said there wasn’t much more the AFL could do about drugs, while at the same committing to do more in the wake of yesterday's revelations by the ACC.
Back in 2002, former Sydney Swan Dale Lewis was ridiculed for claiming that many AFL players use drugs – yet now we have the 3 strikes policy.
Demetriou also denied ferociously any suggestion that tanking occurred in the AFL – until players like Brock McLean began putting their hands up and saying they did indeed lose games in order to secure draft picks.
The use of performance enhancing drugs is now front and centre since Essendon’s revelations just days ago, yet AD was nowhere to be seen for a couple of days.
Like all big businesses, the AFL hates bad news and will do what it can to suppress any story that might tarnish its reputation.
It is in the nature of companies to cover things up so that their customers don’t take their business elsewhere and in the AFL’s case, that means kids taking up alternative sports, and fans not stumping up cash for seats, memberships and foxtel subs to watch games.
Any other business that suffered the equivalent of tanking and widespread drug use in its ranks would see the CEO sacked, but is this likely at the AFL?
For some reason it seems not…
JUSTIN SMITH: When this is all over, and the full story runs onto the field, the people who paid their money, sat in the cold and cried at losses will be owed an apology. And it had better be a bloody good one.
A lot of big talk here for an investigation not even completed! I find it amazing so many trolls come out of the wood work to bask AD and AFL. I for one have serious questions about the investigation, 1st if they had these informants/wire tapes and other evidence why did they wait a year for the report to be given prior to investigation......If you have the evidence do you let other innocent parties get caught up in it by waiting or do you act.
2nd why was the report tabled after a Federal election was announced......wouldn't it be prudent to anounce findings at the begining of the off season rather than the week before the footy season launch
3rd why gloss over serious issues with match fixing overseas with soccer............but say although 40 mil bet on one A League match there's nothing to worry about....then there is announcements of Melb Vic playing Liverpool less than one week after report.
Now there is talk of amnesty's for offenders in NRL
Call me synical but there is alot that doesnt add up......Fitz Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:17 PM
News Flash! the AFL has just signed Lance Armstrong to sing at the Grand Final!
He's to sing Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done" and Essendon's coaching squad are to sing backing vocals...should be good!Jim Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:31 PM
Thanks for stuffing-up the AFL.
Rampant drug taking and "tanking ' have ruined the game while on your watch.
What a poor example for young supporters!
Why should I take my kids to an AFL game knowing it has probably been fixed and the players are likely high on steroids!
No more AFL games for my family.
Will not renew my Essendon membership until you either quit as CEO or are sacked!AllanP Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:07 PM
Andrew Demetriou needs a reality check quick.
He is paid handsomely for his job as is job as CEO of the AFL but it seems you have you have taken little interest in the welfare of the AFL as you travel the world and swan around your 7 million dollar house and drive your luxury car(s).
Seems Andrew you have been sleeping on the job and now you been caught out.
No Andrew, no amount of talking is going to save you or your job this time.
You are obviously avoiding the media to avoid further damage control to yourself . You seem to be saying "to hell "with the AFL and its genuine supporters.
I have a truism for you Andrew.
Where there is big money criminal activities closely follow.
Look about you. You a bound to lose your privileged position and salary. Perhaps even, dare I say, you might not be able to afford to be a member of the Qantas Club!
Maybe I'll see you at the MCG sitting with other mums and dads eating a meat pie.
No more executive box for you!
Why is this bound to happen Andrew?
It is because you have been a dismal failure os CEO of the once proud AFL!AllanP Monday 11 February, 2013 - 12:49 PM
@Phillip Malone ... learn the difference between your and you're .... YOU'RE doing my head in with YOUR ignorance.Sue Monday 11 February, 2013 - 9:22 AM
The Big Fat Greek should stand down; like a parliamentarian he is full of hot air.Barraman Monday 11 February, 2013 - 9:10 AM