- Mother's tears and pain over son's fatal accident
- Peter Slipper MP formally charged with fraud
- Charges could be laid over Swanston Street wall collapse: court told
- Operation Unification: Police across country target illegal firearms
- Elderly man fighting for life, police hunt truck driver
- Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to death in street
- Serious head injuries in Hazelwood Power Station fall
- Footscray train station stabbing
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim Whiteside on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Hi Guys, I've been listening to the ABC for a lifetime but really had enough of Red Symonds who ,so self-obsessed ... more
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
Aussie Joel Parkinson wins his maiden world surfing title
LISTEN BELOW: Joel Parkinson chats with 3AW Sports Today.
Australian Joel Parkinson has cemented his position among the surfing elite after wrapping up the 2012 World Surfing Title in Hawaii on the weekend.
Parkinson went into the Billabong Pipemasters on top of the ASP leader board but needed to finish ahead of 11-time world champ Kelly Slater to secure the illustrious crown.
In a nail biting conclusion Slater bowed out in the semi-finals leaving Parkinson to claim his maiden title.
'Parko' then capped of his dream day by defeating the Gold Coast’s Josh Kerr in the Pipemasters final.
Parkinson, a 4-time tour runner-up, says he is thrilled to finally cement his position among the surfing greats.
"People have called me the best surfer never to win a World Title and I’ve had that bridesmaid tag a few times,"
"I’ve abolished those things and to have no tag to my name, to actually just have a world title next to me, I’m so honoured to have that" he told 3AW Sports Today.
Parkinson described the scenes since is victory as 'wild' but says it took a chat with surfing legend Sunny Garcia for his triumph to start to sink in.
"Sunny Garcia was here the night that I won and he was saying ‘No matter what (happens) in your life that’s one thing they’ll never take away from you. You’ve earned it this year,'"
"He is one of the kings of our sport. He was saying such nice things it was just so humbling to hear,"
"I almost had a tear in my eye just thinking – 'Me! I did it!'"
IMAGE: Parkinson in action at the Pipemasters (ASP)
LISTEN HERE: Joel Parkinson on 3AW Sports Today
Former AFL stars Dwayne Russell and Gerard Healy keep you informed about the game all year round, but particularly in-season. When AFL takes a break, the boys ensure all of your sporting requirements are met.