- Bombers battered in court
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on Bombers battered in court About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on Bombers battered in court Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on Bombers battered in court I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on Bombers battered in court Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
'Australia deserves better'
UPDATE: A senior Labor MP has called on Kevin Rudd to "exit the team" if he's not prepared to offer Prime Minister Julia Gillard his full support.
Even Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu weighed in on the crisis on Monday morning, claiming an election is needed urgently to restore stability.
Meanwhile, Julia Gillard has refused to describe her leadership rival Kevin Rudd as disloyal and says she has the "strong support" of her colleagues.
*Scroll down for all related audio links, including audio of Rudd's outburst and Simon Crean's interview with Neil Mitchell*
3AW's Michael Pachi has provided a analysis of the leadership crisis:
Nineteen months after the brutal leadership coup which deposed Kevin Rudd from the nation’s top job and propelled his deputy Julia Gillard into the role, the tables have turned.
We could be looking at another leadership challenge as early as next Monday or Tuesday when parliament returns.
MPS in the Gillard and Rudd camps will spend the next week crunching numbers for the respective candidates.
It works well for Mr Rudd because he’s away at a G20 conference in Mexico and can distance himself while his backers do the work.
Some Labor mps have been calling on Ms Gillard to resign; arguing she doesn’t have voter support and therefore her position is no longer tenable. It’s unlikely the Prime Minister will voluntarily stand down; instead she’ll likely bring the situation to a head and call a leadership spill as soon as possible.
A ballot next week offers some distance from the Queensland election on March 24th
At this stage the 103 member caucus is split three-ways
One-third in the Rudd camp, another third in the Gillard camp and one-third undecided
EARLIER: Government MPs are starting to take sides as a showdown between Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her old boss Kevin Rudd appears inevitable.
Mr. Rudd declared he was a changed man before jetting off overseas to Mexico amid mounting speculation of a leadership spill within weeks.
The Australian newspaper has done a head count and reckons Ms Gillard has 51 MPs backing her, Mr. Rudd 31 and with another 21 undecided meaning both camps are short of a majority.
Over the weekend, a video leaked on YouTube showing Kevin Rudd swearing during a recording while he was Prime Minister.
Julia Gillard has denied any involvement in the leak, although division within the ALP remains at a fever-pitch.
Neil Mitchell came out with a scathing criticism of the crisis in Canberra this morning, saying 'Australia deserves better.'
Watch and listen below.
PLAY: Barrie Cassidy - host of the ABC's Insiders tells 3AW Breakfast there is a possibility Rudd might've leaked the video himself
VIDEO: Kevin Rudd loses his cool in front of the camera (Channel 7)
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Why does the Labor Party turn on its self, and self destruct it does nothing to help the people who voted them into power, I am sick and tired of the whole debark-ale.We deserve better, we all look like fools to the rest of the world . Please stop the infighting and Govern this country!!!Sue Thorp Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 11:52 AM
Rudd for PM with Turnbull for Treasurer. That's a team that would satisfy the Australian Electors. Turnbull returns to Labour and runs the country as Treasurer while Rudd runs the world as PM. Go Australia!Michael Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 12:26 AM
Tell us again about work choices garry, what is that story again,how did your boss rip you off??Steve Monday 20 February, 2012 - 8:30 PM
Lame duck Wayne Swann is very very quiet. Wonder what this backstabbing buffoon is up to. As for you Simple Simon Crean, you are living in lah lah land if you honestly think that you will win the next election. Australia does not want you and your rabble. You have too much damage to this country. Morons.Jane Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:46 PM
We need leadership, full stop. This country has never been so badly governed and the current crop of politians is the worst in living memory. Not even the liberals can provide leadership. It's a travesty and these people are no better than children.One rule for you... Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:34 PM
Now there is something I actually like about Rudd.Jake Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:19 PM