- No deal: Ambo pay dispute blows up
- Ambulance Victoria dismisses Melbourne Ebola fears
- Poll points to big Liberal loss
- Chinatown murder charge
- A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is shattered'
- Has this CCTV caught a ghost?
- The Rumour File even we didn't think could be true...
- Man hunt after stabbing shock
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
- Lance on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Ghost?Sounds legit. more
- Andrea Davey on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Our Legal System needs a complete overhaul. This man had 200 prior convictions and now a good honest person is dead. Why oh ... more
- Renee Wood on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Bridget my heart breaks for you and your family. Your strength through that interview was amazing. Im ashamed of our ... more
- Mel on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Shame on YOU! more
- Mel on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Yes i believe it to be a ghost, yes. more
- Kathryn on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Dear 3AW, I too was robbed while in Frances Perry Hospital in 2010, three days after giving birth by C Section to my ... more
- Ken LEE TET on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The shape on the chair is not identifiable as a person in this still photo. Maybe a better view if we could see the video, ... more
- Lisa on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Neil, Ive seen ghosts, and they are grey to charcoal in colour, this looks white.....mmm I have my doubts ;) more
- Belinda on Wild weather causes train chaos I shot a video of last night's thunderstorm and lightning strikes in Melbourne. My house is in Footscray. more
- Jason on Wild weather causes train chaos Thunderbolts and lightening, very very frightening! more
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
'Australia deserves better'
UPDATE: A senior Labor MP has called on Kevin Rudd to "exit the team" if he's not prepared to offer Prime Minister Julia Gillard his full support.
Even Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu weighed in on the crisis on Monday morning, claiming an election is needed urgently to restore stability.
Meanwhile, Julia Gillard has refused to describe her leadership rival Kevin Rudd as disloyal and says she has the "strong support" of her colleagues.
*Scroll down for all related audio links, including audio of Rudd's outburst and Simon Crean's interview with Neil Mitchell*
3AW's Michael Pachi has provided a analysis of the leadership crisis:
Nineteen months after the brutal leadership coup which deposed Kevin Rudd from the nation’s top job and propelled his deputy Julia Gillard into the role, the tables have turned.
We could be looking at another leadership challenge as early as next Monday or Tuesday when parliament returns.
MPS in the Gillard and Rudd camps will spend the next week crunching numbers for the respective candidates.
It works well for Mr Rudd because he’s away at a G20 conference in Mexico and can distance himself while his backers do the work.
Some Labor mps have been calling on Ms Gillard to resign; arguing she doesn’t have voter support and therefore her position is no longer tenable. It’s unlikely the Prime Minister will voluntarily stand down; instead she’ll likely bring the situation to a head and call a leadership spill as soon as possible.
A ballot next week offers some distance from the Queensland election on March 24th
At this stage the 103 member caucus is split three-ways
One-third in the Rudd camp, another third in the Gillard camp and one-third undecided
EARLIER: Government MPs are starting to take sides as a showdown between Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her old boss Kevin Rudd appears inevitable.
Mr. Rudd declared he was a changed man before jetting off overseas to Mexico amid mounting speculation of a leadership spill within weeks.
The Australian newspaper has done a head count and reckons Ms Gillard has 51 MPs backing her, Mr. Rudd 31 and with another 21 undecided meaning both camps are short of a majority.
Over the weekend, a video leaked on YouTube showing Kevin Rudd swearing during a recording while he was Prime Minister.
Julia Gillard has denied any involvement in the leak, although division within the ALP remains at a fever-pitch.
Neil Mitchell came out with a scathing criticism of the crisis in Canberra this morning, saying 'Australia deserves better.'
Watch and listen below.
PLAY: Barrie Cassidy - host of the ABC's Insiders tells 3AW Breakfast there is a possibility Rudd might've leaked the video himself
VIDEO: Kevin Rudd loses his cool in front of the camera (Channel 7)
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Why does the Labor Party turn on its self, and self destruct it does nothing to help the people who voted them into power, I am sick and tired of the whole debark-ale.We deserve better, we all look like fools to the rest of the world . Please stop the infighting and Govern this country!!!Sue Thorp Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 11:52 AM
Rudd for PM with Turnbull for Treasurer. That's a team that would satisfy the Australian Electors. Turnbull returns to Labour and runs the country as Treasurer while Rudd runs the world as PM. Go Australia!Michael Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 12:26 AM
Tell us again about work choices garry, what is that story again,how did your boss rip you off??Steve Monday 20 February, 2012 - 8:30 PM
Lame duck Wayne Swann is very very quiet. Wonder what this backstabbing buffoon is up to. As for you Simple Simon Crean, you are living in lah lah land if you honestly think that you will win the next election. Australia does not want you and your rabble. You have too much damage to this country. Morons.Jane Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:46 PM
We need leadership, full stop. This country has never been so badly governed and the current crop of politians is the worst in living memory. Not even the liberals can provide leadership. It's a travesty and these people are no better than children.One rule for you... Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:34 PM
Now there is something I actually like about Rudd.Jake Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:19 PM