- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives'
- $400k fire at iconic St Kilda restaurant
- $350k gone in brazen copper heist
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
'Australia deserves better'
UPDATE: A senior Labor MP has called on Kevin Rudd to "exit the team" if he's not prepared to offer Prime Minister Julia Gillard his full support.
Even Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu weighed in on the crisis on Monday morning, claiming an election is needed urgently to restore stability.
Meanwhile, Julia Gillard has refused to describe her leadership rival Kevin Rudd as disloyal and says she has the "strong support" of her colleagues.
*Scroll down for all related audio links, including audio of Rudd's outburst and Simon Crean's interview with Neil Mitchell*
3AW's Michael Pachi has provided a analysis of the leadership crisis:
Nineteen months after the brutal leadership coup which deposed Kevin Rudd from the nation’s top job and propelled his deputy Julia Gillard into the role, the tables have turned.
We could be looking at another leadership challenge as early as next Monday or Tuesday when parliament returns.
MPS in the Gillard and Rudd camps will spend the next week crunching numbers for the respective candidates.
It works well for Mr Rudd because he’s away at a G20 conference in Mexico and can distance himself while his backers do the work.
Some Labor mps have been calling on Ms Gillard to resign; arguing she doesn’t have voter support and therefore her position is no longer tenable. It’s unlikely the Prime Minister will voluntarily stand down; instead she’ll likely bring the situation to a head and call a leadership spill as soon as possible.
A ballot next week offers some distance from the Queensland election on March 24th
At this stage the 103 member caucus is split three-ways
One-third in the Rudd camp, another third in the Gillard camp and one-third undecided
EARLIER: Government MPs are starting to take sides as a showdown between Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her old boss Kevin Rudd appears inevitable.
Mr. Rudd declared he was a changed man before jetting off overseas to Mexico amid mounting speculation of a leadership spill within weeks.
The Australian newspaper has done a head count and reckons Ms Gillard has 51 MPs backing her, Mr. Rudd 31 and with another 21 undecided meaning both camps are short of a majority.
Over the weekend, a video leaked on YouTube showing Kevin Rudd swearing during a recording while he was Prime Minister.
Julia Gillard has denied any involvement in the leak, although division within the ALP remains at a fever-pitch.
Neil Mitchell came out with a scathing criticism of the crisis in Canberra this morning, saying 'Australia deserves better.'
Watch and listen below.
PLAY: Barrie Cassidy - host of the ABC's Insiders tells 3AW Breakfast there is a possibility Rudd might've leaked the video himself
VIDEO: Kevin Rudd loses his cool in front of the camera (Channel 7)
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Why does the Labor Party turn on its self, and self destruct it does nothing to help the people who voted them into power, I am sick and tired of the whole debark-ale.We deserve better, we all look like fools to the rest of the world . Please stop the infighting and Govern this country!!!Sue Thorp Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 11:52 AM
Rudd for PM with Turnbull for Treasurer. That's a team that would satisfy the Australian Electors. Turnbull returns to Labour and runs the country as Treasurer while Rudd runs the world as PM. Go Australia!Michael Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 12:26 AM
Tell us again about work choices garry, what is that story again,how did your boss rip you off??Steve Monday 20 February, 2012 - 8:30 PM
Lame duck Wayne Swann is very very quiet. Wonder what this backstabbing buffoon is up to. As for you Simple Simon Crean, you are living in lah lah land if you honestly think that you will win the next election. Australia does not want you and your rabble. You have too much damage to this country. Morons.Jane Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:46 PM
We need leadership, full stop. This country has never been so badly governed and the current crop of politians is the worst in living memory. Not even the liberals can provide leadership. It's a travesty and these people are no better than children.One rule for you... Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:34 PM
Now there is something I actually like about Rudd.Jake Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:19 PM