- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
'Australia deserves better'
UPDATE: A senior Labor MP has called on Kevin Rudd to "exit the team" if he's not prepared to offer Prime Minister Julia Gillard his full support.
Even Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu weighed in on the crisis on Monday morning, claiming an election is needed urgently to restore stability.
Meanwhile, Julia Gillard has refused to describe her leadership rival Kevin Rudd as disloyal and says she has the "strong support" of her colleagues.
*Scroll down for all related audio links, including audio of Rudd's outburst and Simon Crean's interview with Neil Mitchell*
3AW's Michael Pachi has provided a analysis of the leadership crisis:
Nineteen months after the brutal leadership coup which deposed Kevin Rudd from the nation’s top job and propelled his deputy Julia Gillard into the role, the tables have turned.
We could be looking at another leadership challenge as early as next Monday or Tuesday when parliament returns.
MPS in the Gillard and Rudd camps will spend the next week crunching numbers for the respective candidates.
It works well for Mr Rudd because he’s away at a G20 conference in Mexico and can distance himself while his backers do the work.
Some Labor mps have been calling on Ms Gillard to resign; arguing she doesn’t have voter support and therefore her position is no longer tenable. It’s unlikely the Prime Minister will voluntarily stand down; instead she’ll likely bring the situation to a head and call a leadership spill as soon as possible.
A ballot next week offers some distance from the Queensland election on March 24th
At this stage the 103 member caucus is split three-ways
One-third in the Rudd camp, another third in the Gillard camp and one-third undecided
EARLIER: Government MPs are starting to take sides as a showdown between Prime Minister Julia Gillard and her old boss Kevin Rudd appears inevitable.
Mr. Rudd declared he was a changed man before jetting off overseas to Mexico amid mounting speculation of a leadership spill within weeks.
The Australian newspaper has done a head count and reckons Ms Gillard has 51 MPs backing her, Mr. Rudd 31 and with another 21 undecided meaning both camps are short of a majority.
Over the weekend, a video leaked on YouTube showing Kevin Rudd swearing during a recording while he was Prime Minister.
Julia Gillard has denied any involvement in the leak, although division within the ALP remains at a fever-pitch.
Neil Mitchell came out with a scathing criticism of the crisis in Canberra this morning, saying 'Australia deserves better.'
Watch and listen below.
PLAY: Barrie Cassidy - host of the ABC's Insiders tells 3AW Breakfast there is a possibility Rudd might've leaked the video himself
VIDEO: Kevin Rudd loses his cool in front of the camera (Channel 7)
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Why does the Labor Party turn on its self, and self destruct it does nothing to help the people who voted them into power, I am sick and tired of the whole debark-ale.We deserve better, we all look like fools to the rest of the world . Please stop the infighting and Govern this country!!!Sue Thorp Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 11:52 AM
Rudd for PM with Turnbull for Treasurer. That's a team that would satisfy the Australian Electors. Turnbull returns to Labour and runs the country as Treasurer while Rudd runs the world as PM. Go Australia!Michael Thursday 23 February, 2012 - 12:26 AM
Tell us again about work choices garry, what is that story again,how did your boss rip you off??Steve Monday 20 February, 2012 - 8:30 PM
Lame duck Wayne Swann is very very quiet. Wonder what this backstabbing buffoon is up to. As for you Simple Simon Crean, you are living in lah lah land if you honestly think that you will win the next election. Australia does not want you and your rabble. You have too much damage to this country. Morons.Jane Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:46 PM
We need leadership, full stop. This country has never been so badly governed and the current crop of politians is the worst in living memory. Not even the liberals can provide leadership. It's a travesty and these people are no better than children.One rule for you... Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:34 PM
Now there is something I actually like about Rudd.Jake Monday 20 February, 2012 - 4:19 PM