- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- 'Bring them home': Government calls for action
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Australian radio show in hot water over Royal prank
An Australian radio show is in hot water over a prank call to a London hospital which saw a nurse divulge confidential information on the pregnant Duchess’ condition.
During a prank call to King Edward VII Hospital, the announcers from the Today Network’s Hot 30 Countdown, Michael Christian and Mel Greig adopted toffee accents to pose as the Queen and Prince Charles to get an update on Duchess of Cambridge’s condition.
Prince William’s wife Catherine is currently in hospital being treated for acute morning sickness.
HAVE YOUR SAY: Do you think the radio station's prank is funny or embarrassing? Comment below
”She’s sleeping at the moment and she has had an uneventful night, and sleep is good for her,” the nurse told the radio show.
”As we speak, she’s being given some fluids to rehydrate her because she was quite dehydrated when she came in, but she’s stable at the moment.”
LISTEN: Hot 30 Countdown's Prank - Skip to 1:54 to hear call:
The hospital released a statement yesterday saying the incident has sparked a review of their telephone protocol.
"King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes can confirm that an Australian radio station made a hoax call to the hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning," the statement said.
"This call was transferred through to a ward and a short conversation was held with one of the nursing staff. King Edward VII's Hospital deeply regrets this incident."
John Lofthouse, chief executive at King Edward VII's Hospital, said: "This was a foolish prank call that we all deplore. We take patient confidentiality extremely seriously and we are now reviewing our telephone protocols."
In a statement from the Sydney-based broadcasters, Michael Christian and Mel Greig apologised for their security breach.
"We were very surprised that our call was put through. We thought we'd be hung up on as soon as they heard our terrible accents," they said.
"We're very sorry if we've caused any issues and we're glad to hear that Kate is doing well."
AN EYE FOR AN EYE -- THE PRANKSTERS AND THE OWNERS OF THE RADIO STATION NOW MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR THEIR PROFESSIONAL IRRESPONSIBILTY AND OWE THIS FAMILY A LIFE TIME OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT.THAT WILL NEVER REPLACE THE MOTHER OR WIFE BUT WILL AIDE IN THE FAMILY'S IN THE AFTERMATH THEIR THOUGHTLESS SELFISH ACT. THE AUSSIE RADIO STATION, Michael Christian and Mel Greig ARE MURDERERS AND SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO FULL EXTENT OF LEGAL JURISPRUDENCE.NOTE THEY DID BREAK THE LAW THERE WAS NO SIGNED RELEASE ALLOWING THESE TWO CLOWNS FROM USING THE VOICE OR NAME OF THE NURSE --- THERE HAS GOT TO BE A LEGAL EAGLE OUT THERE THAT WILL PURSUE THIS CASE AND AIDE THIS FAMILLY.JAY Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 6:27 AM
it was a bad joke in the first place, now the nurse is dead, and it's still just a bad joke. should people stop making bad jokes? is that why there's uproar? or is it that the nurse is now dead? i don't understand the mock outrage.. or is it just that you are all very sick? how don't you realise you're being told to think this is a horrible event? you just go along with it.. "ok, i agree it was horrible what those murdering radio dj's did". grow up.Kingdom Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 3:32 AM
Go ahead. Humiliate someone and make her the butt of your joke just to amuse yourselves and show the world how shallow really you are. Those at the receiving end are victims. Yes victims, and they get hurt. Have you ever heard of bullying?? This is a classic example. No wonder we can't win the battle against bullying in schools!
Well, the world has two new POSTER CHILDREN FOR BULLYING!Elaine - Ottawa Canada Saturday 8 December, 2012 - 3:47 PM
I am appalled at the thoughtlessness that occurred with this prank. The nurse who has died had a young family, was a worthwhile member of society helping to save lives and nurse people back to health. Not some stupid show on the radio that does not really contribute to society that much. It appears to me that people like your commentators have no sense and in future the format of your programming should be controlled with strict protocols of the line that is not to be crossed.Maureen Saturday 8 December, 2012 - 9:14 AM
wonder if Jeff Kennett, the founding Chairman of beyondblue, is laughing over the stupid prank now....Jacquie Jones Saturday 8 December, 2012 - 8:21 AM
In light of the tragic death of the nurse involved in the hoax phone call perhaps the ramifications may make others think again.
She leaves a husband and 2 children, at christmas !
Really amusing now is it not.Paul Saturday 8 December, 2012 - 6:52 AM