3AW - Fairfax Radio Network

What we're talking about

Axed workers train Indian replacements

Posted by: 3AW Radio | 14 February, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Telstra logo

Sacked Telstra staff are being forced to train the Indian help-desk operators who'll replace them.

More than 250 local staff have gone in the latest round of staff cuts which have totalled more than 2,000 in recent years.

Operators from an Indian outsourcing company are already in Melbourne being trained.

Len Cooper from the Telecommunciations Union says staff were instructed by the union not to co-operate but Telstra found a way around it.

PLAY: The union details what's happening to Neil Mitchell

Share

ANZ Bank to cut 900 jobs

ANZ ANZ Bank is to cut about 900 jobs as the company shrinks its Australian workforce to adjust to weak demand for financial services. Read more here and listen to Neil Mitchell's editorial by clicking on the image of the ANZ logo on the right.

 

3AW Mornings with Neil Mitchell

Neil Mitchell Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.

Blog comments Your Say

  • Here here Allan Hall. I too would love a public list of companies that use offshore call centres so that I could boycott them.

    Kathryn Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 6:50 PM
  • ... "still votes for Labor, they ceased to represent the working people of this country decades ago, about time we got rid of the useless bunch of corrupt lying fools"
    Mmmmm I seem to recall one J Howard/LNP who promised never ever GST and whose progressive IR law reforms decimated the Australian workforce and didnt employers lap it up and wield their power.
    People need to realise that any Government elected to office in this country (like any other country) couldnt give a toss about its people.Back in the good old days the economic system in Australia worked for everyone in a way that it will never work again. Poor and working class people had the opportunity to work their way up if they wanted, and that's just not always an option today no matter which political party gets into office.To paraphrase,"most decisions made in the banking and corporate boardrooms favour the 1% while the rest of the 99% are paying the cost".

    citygirl Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 5:50 PM
  • Is Jan like the serial Liberal pest on this site - an opinion on everything but no balance!

    Craig in Ballarat Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 5:06 PM
  • These workers will all have to wait 13wks to receive welfare if they are eligible at all while the imports are all getting money for nothing. We are nothing more than a nuisance to the Govt and Industry.

    Rob Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 4:50 PM
  • Wow Peggy that's disgraceful, it is about time our pathetic federal government did something about protecting jobs in Australia, it's in the pollies interest how will they get their big fat pensions for life if there are no workers left to pay the taxes for them. What is going to happen when our mineral resources finally run dry?
    Although I guess, the bludgers in power up in Canberra do not give a crap about the average worker in this country, I do not understand how any who works for a weekly wage still votes for Labor, they ceased to represent the working people of this country decades ago, about time we got rid of the useless bunch of corrupt lying fools

    Jan Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 12:37 PM
  • Jan, I would too if it were tat simple. They ALL do it, even Dodo.
    I know that Optus, Telstra, TPG and Dodo do it because it was shown on a current affair program so which one can we chose? I would gladly switch to the one using our people. They are all based in the Philippines. It was shown that they were trained in India so even India is now charging too much. When they can pay an employee @2000 a year they will not consider Australia. Unfortunately these sacked employees most likely have mortgages with these banks.

    Peggy Tuesday 14 February, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Post a comment * Mandatory fields