- Clive Palmer spits the dummy
- Body found in burning car
- No costings, but Dan's the man in tight debate
- Milne welcome back at St Kilda
- Injured cyclist's painful ambo wait
- 'F---ing nutcase': Police clash with granny
- Three steps to better Melbourne roads
- Labor outlines boost to fire services
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jed Maxwell on Agent plunges in pool at auction "Mr Scafidi said Chinese investors purchased the property."Surely not, I thought overseas investors were not permitted to ... more
- Winston on Agent plunges in pool at auction Yes, land rats can swim. more
- mylene on Agent plunges in pool at auction Any society that presents real estate agents as heroes is just about to collapse. more
- Ben Filera on Agent plunges in pool at auction What a load of contrived hype , conveniently recorded to get PR for the people involved, aided and abetted by 3AW . more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
- Jester4212 on New-age helmet design Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Lynne on New-age helmet design Hi Neil,I think this is a great idea not just for riders but other road and footpath users too! All too often as a ... more
- Colin Lacivita on New-age helmet design Good Idea especially with the rego on the back.I wish I thought of it. more
- Gabriel on New-age helmet design This looks ridiculous. And that clear visor looks like it could end up lodged in your eyes. more
- Miracle Rescue on Miracle rescue for trapped man Separate trucks and cars more
- Stephen on Miracle rescue for trapped man Surprised this doesn't happen more often to be honest. BRAKING DISTANCE between vehicles is just not observed by Melbourne ... more
- jgl Melb on Balme returns to Pies How much compensation will this cost Ed ? more
- Jester4212 on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead And what about the pain the animal had to endure up until this point? more
- Sinbad on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead People collapse and die in marathons on a fairly frequent basis and we don't hear the outcry, wringing of hands, tears and ... more
- bushiepete on 78yo spends 2 hours having spasms on ... yes there were a lot of happy people who had drugs, grog,to much fun time and need to be baby sat by the police and ambos.. ... more
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
Bear & Kooda put down under dangerous dog laws
A Cobram man is devastated after his two dogs were killed under the state's tough new dangerous dog laws.
IMAGE: Bear and Kooda (supplied)
Changes to the law concerning restricted breed dogs came into force on October 1 last year that deemed any restricted breeds that were not registered will be seized and destroyed by local councils.
Nathan Laffan, the owner of the dogs that were put down, told the 3AW Drive Program that he went to the Moira Shire council last September after seeing news reports on the laws that were yet to take effect.
“I went into the shire on the Friday afternoon and I said ‘Can you come and have a look at my dogs and make sure they are not a dangerous breed, or whatever the news article was all about’” Nathan said.
“He (The Council Officer) came over on the Monday (September 26, 2011) about lunch time-ish and said ‘That’s it I’m taking them’” he said.
LISTEN BELOW: Nathan Laffan speaks with Tom Elliott
Nathan purchased the two dogs in early 2011, from an unregistered dog breeder who said the dogs to be ‘American Bulldog / Bull Mastiff Staffi Cross’ which are not on the banned list.
The Council Officer believed the dogs to be ‘pitbull/mastiff cross’ and because they were only 7-months old at the time had to be put down.
Nathan took his case to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the decision which went to court in February.
His case was not successful and the dogs were put down on Thursday.
Nathan said that his dogs were never involved in any sort of attack or hostile action toward any person, and the government need to change the laws.
“They need to completely rethink the whole scheme” Nathan said.
ARE THE NEW DANGEROUS DOG LAWS TOO TOUGH? Your say below.
IMAGES: Bear and Kooda before they were put down yesterday.
LISTEN BELOW: Nathan Laffan speaks with Tom Elliott
What is this, Communist China?!! These amazing animals are a product of their upbringing. Many people and animals have been saved by the magnificent pit. In WWII pitbulls were heroes and awarded medals. These days they often save lives of humans and animals. But is this focused on? NO. With a quick search I have three examples of the true hearts and loving natures of these precious animals (and there are many, many, many more examples where these came from!) ...
Amazing interspecies FRiENDS: Cat, rabbit, guinea pig and dog pit bull SHARKY :
Adorable! Pit Bull CLEANS Baby Bunny (Cottontail Rabbit) in HD. Bunny & Dog :
Pitbull Loves Her Kittens!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLnhy6oHQ1MDespina M. Andrelus Thursday 4 July, 2013 - 3:15 PM
hi my name is heather i have a 2 yr old son a 6 yr old son and and 8 yr old son and i own 8...yes 8 pitbulls. not one of them have ever even once so much as tried to bite me my children or anyone near me. in fact my oldest pit is very protective of my youngest son she will not anyone meaning harm come near him yet she will lick anyone to death. i am so so dearly sorry for your lose. in my opinion you take them to court sue their sorry asses and win. get justice for your poor sweet puppies and stomp ass my prayers are with you and your dear doggies. who by the way are absolutly adorable and look nothing like a pitbull.heather Friday 28 June, 2013 - 5:53 PM
There are 2 different types of pit bulls/ Blue Nose & Red Nose. The Red one has the wide stance and larger head. The Blue one looks more like a terrier combo. I'm not sure sure the Pit comes from in this dog, but I have always been told the dog is technically a Bull Dog, Terrier mix. We have a pitty who is the most loving, affectionate dog ever. I am 67 and my grandson is 7, we can both put our hands in her mouth (if need be) and even sit right by her when she eats; SHE has never tried to bite or even growl at us. In fact she even thinks of herself as a 'LAP' dog. Nathan I'm sorry for your loss, and your dogs DID NOT look like a 'Pit Bull'.Kathleen Sunday 2 June, 2013 - 12:08 AM
I couldn't accept these ideas and please don't give up fighting in the memory of your beloved beautiful dogs and the famous case of the innocent Lennox(it breaks my heart seeing his photo at Belfast shelter where he was kept in awful conditions as it can be seen).I think people have a great pleasure in killing any animal on this earth!
My sincere condolences.It is a shame animals depend on us!monica chirnoaga Sunday 21 April, 2013 - 6:53 AM
This was so very wrong and cruel. Seems to me certain people are *kill happy* and enjoy it too. My condolences to the family.memory murphy Saturday 13 April, 2013 - 11:11 AM
Cruel crime, the killers need to be arrested !Catherine Wednesday 2 January, 2013 - 11:14 AM