- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Bernard Tomic in stand-off with police
Tennis young gun Bernard Tomic has claimed a police officer wanted to "hit" him after pulling the 19-year-old over in his high-powered sports car on the Gold Coast today.
Tomic told Seven News he was issued three $300 traffic infringement notices on three separate occasions while driving his orange V8 BMW M3 through Broadbeach this afternoon.
On one occasion the teenager said he thought an officer "wanted to hit me" and was acting in a threatening manner.
The P-Plate driver is not allowed to drive the BMW but was given an exemption to use it to get to and from training near his family's home in Southport.
Residents told Nine News he was seen "revving" the car in Broadbeach, which is about seven kilometres south of Southport, and failed to stop the third time police tried to pull him over.
He drove home, with police following, and locked himself inside the house.
Eventually a group of five police, including two senior officers and a forensic policeman, congregated on the road opposite the 19-year-old's house in Lenneburg Street.
A former Gold Coast mayor, Lex Bell, also arrived at the Tomic home with local councillor Dawn Kritchlow during the afternoon.
It's believed the forensic officer followed Tomic to his home after tailing sports car.
The officer was heard telling one of the senior police that he had tried to pull Tomic over but he continued driving to his house.
Tomic's car was parked on the property behind locked security gates.
The two senior police entered the Tomic home shortly after 4.30pm local time (5.30pm AEDT) and emerged a short time later.
Inspector Glenn Allen said it appeared that Tomic wanted to lay "some sort of complaint, although the nature of it was not clear".
"At this stage we are waiting for Tomic's lawyer to come," he told reporters.
"I don't know what he wants to make a complaint about at this stage but we'll judge that when he talks to his solicitor.
Inspector Allan said exactly what sparked the incident was still being determined.
"I don't know what it was at this stage. Let me talk to Mr Tomic and we'll give you a statement later.
The Courier-Mail also reported that Tomic's father John confronted police officers at the house and accused them of 'un-Australian' actions.
Tomic was knocked out of the Australian Open in his fourth-round match against Roger Federer this week.
While the teenager was avoiding police, Davis Cup Pat Rafter, who had been criticial of Tomic's attitude last year, was lauding the young prodigy's newfound maturity.
"We had a little issue over there in Sydney (during a Davis Cup tie)," said Rafter.
"He probably wasn't at that maturity level back then with what I had to tell him.
"But he's certainly done something (to improve that) over the November, December time."
Rafter said he had talked tough to Tomic.
"Like I said, he's just gone to a different level. He was exactly where he should be right now. His attitude was great over the summer."
- SMH.com.au; Richard Hinds and Georgina Robinson
PLAY: Tom Elliott, Shane McInnes discuss the bizarre story at 5:55pm.
If this was BMW's attempt at sales and marketing, it didn't work. What were they thinking.Carol Friday 27 January, 2012 - 12:15 PM
Bernard,grow up this is spoiled brat stuff>..Steve Friday 27 January, 2012 - 12:06 PM
Shame Bernard Shame!
Just when you had earned the nations respect you come out & prove you are just another celebrity brat.
Rise above this & do us proud. You will never regret it.
Calling in friends from high places when one is in the wrong is not doing the right thing.
Perhaps an apology to Police the councillors concerned & a request for clemency will surpise you in salvaging the situation. PS get rid of the V8WOJA Friday 27 January, 2012 - 11:51 AM
Don't blame 19 year old Bernard..blame the Transport Department who gave him special dispensation to drive a high powered vehicle. I hadn't realised that being good at tennis meant you were a great driver. And also really, really mature.Julie Friday 27 January, 2012 - 10:04 AM
Why does bad behaviour go hand in hand with sporting success.
Why does he need such a powerful car? My 19 year old isn't allowed to drive one. What is so special about Mr Tomic - now absolutely nothing.
Make him drive a Camry.Sharif Friday 27 January, 2012 - 9:51 AM
Apart from being a good tennis player, he can now read the minds of police. He thought they wanted to hit him!! Maturity of a 12 year old Bernard.jason Friday 27 January, 2012 - 7:48 AM