- Victoria shivers through coldest December day in seven years
- Cricket Australia apologises for insensitive tweet
- Qantas to cut 1000 jobs
- Future of Heidelberg BMX track still in doubt
- 338 PSO fines wrongly issued
- Gold Coast Suns sack Campbell Brown
- Breakfast farewells Mal Walden
- Young hoon performs burnouts in front of cops
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
- paula wilcox on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Why have that Piers Morgan have any credibility. If he sets foot in England he will be charged with fraud for faking ... more
- paula wilcox on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs I am really sick of that CEO that they imported from Ireland. Send him back and fine him to give to the workers he has ... more
- Sinbad on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Same as Afro-American rappers using the 'N' word, same as an Italian calling another Italian a wog......Is this still racist ... more
- Blake on Cricket Australia apologises for ... yeah...not racist. more
- bretho on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Since when has it ever been racist for 4 Indians to dress up as Indians? I understand if it was 4 white people but this is ... more
- John on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I hope the person responsible for this tweet is removed from his position immediately. Very distasteful indeed. Does anyone ... more
- Lukew on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I would like to know what is racist about it? more
- simon on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am a Melburnian currently living in Cebu City Philippines. I am able (sometimes) to get audio but the studio video feed ... more
- Karly on Council calls off BMX track demolition I support Heath and his mates.similar thing happened to my boys in belgrave south. Every time the kids built a bike track ... more
- Pradman on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... ....and he's allowed to vote more
- LynetteOZ on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden The consummate professional! You'll be missed Mal. Thanks for bringing us the news with a dash of humour where appropriate. more
- John on Having issues streaming 3AW? I run FireFox on win 7 and on Linux Mint FireFox. Install VLC. Shockwave and jvanjvan@plugins (latest levels)and it will all ... more
- Kirk on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden Well done on a great career mal, you were the one that go me interested in watching the news in my early teens in 1996, i ... more
- fiona on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden What a lovely man mal waldon is .lovely to see such emotion on the show tonight, wouldn't we all love to loved and ... more
- Gazza on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... Surely the revenue cameras will stop this behaviour...... more
Bikie won't deal with police
TUESDAY 4PM: Police have executed search warrants in Brunswick following the shooting of a Bandido's bikie on Monday.
Police have seized CCTV footage from Doherty's Gym and the neighbouring Bandidos clubhouse.
Bandidos 'sergeant at arms', Toby Mitchell, was shot three times outside the gym. The gunman and his accomplice remain on the loose.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says a crime like this takes seconds to execute but the investigations are usually very lengthy.
He told 3AW on Tuesday afternoon the witness descriptions of the two men wanted in relation to the crime are sketchy, the Detective Inspector saying they may have 'been wearing wigs'.
*Scroll below the article and image to hear Sly Of The Underworld's colourful segment on 3AW Breakfast and Neil Mitchell's interview with the very candid Brett Guerin*
TUESDAY 12PM: Taskforce Echo police are speaking with members of the Bandidos motorcycle gang after their 'sergeant at arms' was shot just metres from their Brunswick clubhouse on Monday.
Toby Mitchell, 37, is refusing to co-operate with police as he recovers in hospital from three gunshot wounds to his hip and back.
Two unidentified gunmen fired more than half a dozen shots at him as he stood on the footpath outside Doherty's Gym at 4:30pm. They remain at large.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says while it appears Mitchell was the target he doesn't believe professional gunmen were involved.
TUESDAY 10AM: Police investigating the shooting of Bandido bikie Toby Mitchell claim the spray of shots from a moving car just missed a man and his two children.
Mitchell remains in hospital after undergoing surgery.
Investigators are setting up an information caravan at the Barkly Shopping Centre carpark in Brunswick todayto appeal for witnesses.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says it appears two gunmen shot at Mitchell as he left nearby Doherty's Gym and one of the bullets hit a car, being driven by a man with two young children on board.
TUESDAY 9AM: The getaway car involved in the shooting of a Bandido bikie in Brunswick has been found, torched.
The charcoal grey Ford Territory was set alight outside a construction site off Galada Avenue around 10.30pm on Monday.
It's close to some residental homes, and this morning residents were shocked to learn it is linked to yesterday's shooting of Bandido bikie Toby Mitchell.
The charred remains of the vehicle has now been removed to be forensically examined.
Mitchell has undergone surgery after being shot in the stomach outside Doherty's Gym near the Barkly Square Shopping Centre.
Scroll down for The Age's detailed report into the links the shooting victim has to some of the biggest names in Melbourne underworld.
UPDATE: A senior member of an outlaw motorcycle gang was shot in broad daylight in what was believed to be a revenge attack linked to prominent underworld figures.
Police are investigating whether yesterday afternoon's shooting of Bandidos' sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell was payback for the recent bashing of a man with links to the camp of slain underworld killer Carl Williams.
Mitchell is a former champion heavyweight kickboxer and has been linked romantically with Danielle McGuire, the former partner of Tony Mokbel, who is in jail on drugs charges.
In 2003, Mitchell was interviewed by detectives from the Purana Taskforce over the death of Mark Mallia, although he was not charged. Williams pleaded guilty to Mallia's murder in 2007.
Gunshots rang out across Brunswick's Barkly Square shopping centre car park about 4.30pm, when Mitchell was shot up to six times outside Doherty's Gym on Weston Street. It is believed there is also a bikie clubhouse in the street.
Mitchell, 37, was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a serious but stable condition to receive emergency surgery. It is believed several members of his motorcycle gang attended the hospital.
One female witness emerged from the rear of a police car, where she was asked by police to remove her blood-stained singlet, replacing it with one provided by the nearby gym.
After the shooting, Mitchell is believed to have made his way into the car park. Heavily armed police later cordoned off the area where several bloodied towels lay. Members of the Special Operations Group also attended the scene.
The gunman drove off in a charcoal-grey 2011 Ford Territory with stolen plates, WIA 651.
''The situation is we have a gunman loose and we don't know where he is,'' Acting Superintendent Stephen Mutton said at the scene. ''We have a shopping centre here. There are a lot of families doing their day-to-day business. Fortunately, there was only one [person] seriously injured.''
One regular at the gym said it was a quiet, family run gym. ''Sure there were some big guys around but it was pretty friendly, people usually respected each other,'' he said.
It is uncertain whether the Brunswick shooting is linked to another shooting at the weekend in which a Comanchero gang member was shot in the foot.
IMAGE: Toby Mitchell in action (Fairfax Photos).
PLAY: Sly Of The Underworld and a frank Victoria Police interview
Information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au.
DO YOU KNOW MORE?
TALKBACK LINE: 96 900 693 or 13 13 32 if outside Melbourne
EMAIL US PHOTOS: email@example.com
THE LATEST: Police are setting up a crime scene after a drive by shooting in St Albans nearly five hours after the incident. Two adults and two teenagers were in the house at the time. Click on the image on the right for more details and audio.
To the iodiot who posted
"Vic Police... be proud of yourselves, people are learning your force CANNOT be trusted ... In any situation :(". We'll,I see you're gutsy enough not to leave your name. It's idiots like you that give our boys in blue a bad name.Mark Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 1:27 PM
Still fighting over Tony's scraps.(in more ways than one)Brett Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 10:15 AM
Vic Police... be proud of yourselves, people are learning your force CANNOT be trusted ... In any situation :(anon Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 9:50 AM
I wonder if he had ambulance cover?
If he will not play ball with Police then withdraw all pain killing medication until he does.Fair enough Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 4:18 PM
Keep your head down>!Steve Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 11:20 AM
Sharpen your pencil Sly...Anne Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 9:31 AM