- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Bikie won't deal with police
TUESDAY 4PM: Police have executed search warrants in Brunswick following the shooting of a Bandido's bikie on Monday.
Police have seized CCTV footage from Doherty's Gym and the neighbouring Bandidos clubhouse.
Bandidos 'sergeant at arms', Toby Mitchell, was shot three times outside the gym. The gunman and his accomplice remain on the loose.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says a crime like this takes seconds to execute but the investigations are usually very lengthy.
He told 3AW on Tuesday afternoon the witness descriptions of the two men wanted in relation to the crime are sketchy, the Detective Inspector saying they may have 'been wearing wigs'.
*Scroll below the article and image to hear Sly Of The Underworld's colourful segment on 3AW Breakfast and Neil Mitchell's interview with the very candid Brett Guerin*
TUESDAY 12PM: Taskforce Echo police are speaking with members of the Bandidos motorcycle gang after their 'sergeant at arms' was shot just metres from their Brunswick clubhouse on Monday.
Toby Mitchell, 37, is refusing to co-operate with police as he recovers in hospital from three gunshot wounds to his hip and back.
Two unidentified gunmen fired more than half a dozen shots at him as he stood on the footpath outside Doherty's Gym at 4:30pm. They remain at large.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says while it appears Mitchell was the target he doesn't believe professional gunmen were involved.
TUESDAY 10AM: Police investigating the shooting of Bandido bikie Toby Mitchell claim the spray of shots from a moving car just missed a man and his two children.
Mitchell remains in hospital after undergoing surgery.
Investigators are setting up an information caravan at the Barkly Shopping Centre carpark in Brunswick todayto appeal for witnesses.
Detective Superintendent Brett Guerin says it appears two gunmen shot at Mitchell as he left nearby Doherty's Gym and one of the bullets hit a car, being driven by a man with two young children on board.
TUESDAY 9AM: The getaway car involved in the shooting of a Bandido bikie in Brunswick has been found, torched.
The charcoal grey Ford Territory was set alight outside a construction site off Galada Avenue around 10.30pm on Monday.
It's close to some residental homes, and this morning residents were shocked to learn it is linked to yesterday's shooting of Bandido bikie Toby Mitchell.
The charred remains of the vehicle has now been removed to be forensically examined.
Mitchell has undergone surgery after being shot in the stomach outside Doherty's Gym near the Barkly Square Shopping Centre.
Scroll down for The Age's detailed report into the links the shooting victim has to some of the biggest names in Melbourne underworld.
UPDATE: A senior member of an outlaw motorcycle gang was shot in broad daylight in what was believed to be a revenge attack linked to prominent underworld figures.
Police are investigating whether yesterday afternoon's shooting of Bandidos' sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell was payback for the recent bashing of a man with links to the camp of slain underworld killer Carl Williams.
Mitchell is a former champion heavyweight kickboxer and has been linked romantically with Danielle McGuire, the former partner of Tony Mokbel, who is in jail on drugs charges.
In 2003, Mitchell was interviewed by detectives from the Purana Taskforce over the death of Mark Mallia, although he was not charged. Williams pleaded guilty to Mallia's murder in 2007.
Gunshots rang out across Brunswick's Barkly Square shopping centre car park about 4.30pm, when Mitchell was shot up to six times outside Doherty's Gym on Weston Street. It is believed there is also a bikie clubhouse in the street.
Mitchell, 37, was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a serious but stable condition to receive emergency surgery. It is believed several members of his motorcycle gang attended the hospital.
One female witness emerged from the rear of a police car, where she was asked by police to remove her blood-stained singlet, replacing it with one provided by the nearby gym.
After the shooting, Mitchell is believed to have made his way into the car park. Heavily armed police later cordoned off the area where several bloodied towels lay. Members of the Special Operations Group also attended the scene.
The gunman drove off in a charcoal-grey 2011 Ford Territory with stolen plates, WIA 651.
''The situation is we have a gunman loose and we don't know where he is,'' Acting Superintendent Stephen Mutton said at the scene. ''We have a shopping centre here. There are a lot of families doing their day-to-day business. Fortunately, there was only one [person] seriously injured.''
One regular at the gym said it was a quiet, family run gym. ''Sure there were some big guys around but it was pretty friendly, people usually respected each other,'' he said.
It is uncertain whether the Brunswick shooting is linked to another shooting at the weekend in which a Comanchero gang member was shot in the foot.
IMAGE: Toby Mitchell in action (Fairfax Photos).
PLAY: Sly Of The Underworld and a frank Victoria Police interview
Information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au.
DO YOU KNOW MORE?
TALKBACK LINE: 96 900 693 or 13 13 32 if outside Melbourne
EMAIL US PHOTOS: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE LATEST: Police are setting up a crime scene after a drive by shooting in St Albans nearly five hours after the incident. Two adults and two teenagers were in the house at the time. Click on the image on the right for more details and audio.
To the iodiot who posted
"Vic Police... be proud of yourselves, people are learning your force CANNOT be trusted ... In any situation :(". We'll,I see you're gutsy enough not to leave your name. It's idiots like you that give our boys in blue a bad name.Mark Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 1:27 PM
Still fighting over Tony's scraps.(in more ways than one)Brett Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 10:15 AM
Vic Police... be proud of yourselves, people are learning your force CANNOT be trusted ... In any situation :(anon Wednesday 30 November, 2011 - 9:50 AM
I wonder if he had ambulance cover?
If he will not play ball with Police then withdraw all pain killing medication until he does.Fair enough Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 4:18 PM
Keep your head down>!Steve Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 11:20 AM
Sharpen your pencil Sly...Anne Tuesday 29 November, 2011 - 9:31 AM