- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- 'Bring them home': Government calls for action
- Man killed in Burrumbuttock plane crash
- Police take unsual step in train assault case
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Conroy slams Southern Cross Austereo 'top jock' award for royal prank DJ
Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has accused radio network Southern Cross Austereo of "bad taste" after one of the DJs at the centre of the infamous royal prank won a 'top jock' award and free overseas trip.
The broadcaster named DJ Michael Christian a joint-winner of its 'next top jock' award, which comes with a trip to Los Angeles.
Christian, along with former co-host Mel Greig, was suspended by the station last year after a phone prank in which he impersonated Prince Charles while calling a London hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was staying.
The nurse who answered the call and put it through to the Duchess's room committed suicide days later.
Senator Conroy told Neil Mitchell it was too soon for Christian to win such awards.
"I think there's a bit of bad taste involved there," Mr Conroy said.
"There was some very serious consequences of what was a prank and to be seen to be rewarding people so soon after such an event, I think is just in bad taste."
NEIL MITCHELL: 'Has Southern Cross Austereo learnt nothing?'
Entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Ross and John's Breakfast show that Christian shouldn't have won the award, regardless of his credentials.
"He may well be the best on-air talent they have at the moment, I'm not disputing that," Peter Ford said.
"But, gee, wouldn't some sort of innate sense of PR either from the network or from Michael Christian himself actually say 'no, this is not the right time for me to be nominated or collecting awards'?"
UK correspondent Gavin Grey said London won't be impressed with Southern Cross Austereo.
"I think there'll be a great deal of anger," he told Ross and John.
"There's no doubt the family and a lot of people in this country will stare, frankly, in disbelief at this award."
LISTEN: Gavin Gray and Peter Ford with Ross and John.
I agree with Peggy. The actions of the nurse in taking her own life was her own choosing.Hooksy of Country Vic Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 2:14 PM
Stop pointing the finger at the 2 DJs, the people who are responsible are her family & the hospital. The woman made 2 attempts at killing herself before the prank, 1 jumping off a building & was placed into ICU , yet they allowed her to continue working. Bloody Disgracefuljanetp Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 9:36 AM
To the 2 DJ's who played a prank on a (either naÃ¯ve or stupid) nurse in my home country of England... My heart goes out to you both as it was a joke that many of radio stations around the world would have loved to have thought of??? we have many radio stations here who do similar pranks up and down the country on a daily basis... If you have been given an award which has had a poll, then you do deserve it... I'm sorry but I have not heard any of the past pranks or heard your station either??? but don't feel guilty as the miss-hap was not your fault and please believe me no one has any hard feelings towards you here in the U.K....
Keep your chin up and don't stop the music!!!stu ryan Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 5:52 AM
That regardless of all that's happened in the past few months I'm still at the top of my game. So it felt good to see my name at the top of the final leaderboard. - Michael Christian
Painfully shallow, self-obsessed, but lacking in self-awareness. Would have shown sensitivity towards Saldanha's family, and been a signal of ongoing contrition, to have curtly refused this nothing award. Foolish little man.Villa Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 1:18 AM
Michael Christian may not be totally responsible for that nurses death, But he showed very poor judgement in using a telephone in an act of Deception to of all places a hospital, If he's the best
Southern Cross Austereo must be desperate and maybe a few of us should ring ahead when he goes to LA..just to make sure they know he has a dead nurse on his resume!!Karen Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 1:05 AM
You are wrong Peggy and do not understand the cultural characteristics of the Lady who died. It is all about shame and she will have felt that she didn't do her job properly and let people down, particulalry Royalty. They are very loyal and devoted people and these DJ's gave no thought about the consequences of their actions and who might be taking the calls, particularly as they LIED about who they were and proceeded to imitate family members. She will have felt as though she was in a very difficult situation given that they pretended to be Royals. He should be sacked not rewarded and has shown no respect whatsoever. His gloating statement is sick.John Wednesday 5 June, 2013 - 8:55 PM