- Labor to sack Ambulance board
- 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla
- Exactly 7124 worms stolen
- 3AW Breakfast join hunt for stolen boat
- Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer
- Multi-car crash on Princes Highway
- Siege at Barwon Prison
- Dramatic resuce after Port Phillip boat collision
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
- Jester4212 on New-age helmet design Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Lynne on New-age helmet design Hi Neil,I think this is a great idea not just for riders but other road and footpath users too! All too often as a ... more
- Colin Lacivita on New-age helmet design Good Idea especially with the rego on the back.I wish I thought of it. more
- Gabriel on New-age helmet design This looks ridiculous. And that clear visor looks like it could end up lodged in your eyes. more
- Miracle Rescue on Miracle rescue for trapped man Separate trucks and cars more
- Stephen on Miracle rescue for trapped man Surprised this doesn't happen more often to be honest. BRAKING DISTANCE between vehicles is just not observed by Melbourne ... more
- jgl Melb on Balme returns to Pies How much compensation will this cost Ed ? more
- Jester4212 on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead And what about the pain the animal had to endure up until this point? more
- Sinbad on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead People collapse and die in marathons on a fairly frequent basis and we don't hear the outcry, wringing of hands, tears and ... more
- bushiepete on 78yo spends 2 hours having spasms on ... yes there were a lot of happy people who had drugs, grog,to much fun time and need to be baby sat by the police and ambos.. ... more
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
Conroy slams Southern Cross Austereo 'top jock' award for royal prank DJ
Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has accused radio network Southern Cross Austereo of "bad taste" after one of the DJs at the centre of the infamous royal prank won a 'top jock' award and free overseas trip.
The broadcaster named DJ Michael Christian a joint-winner of its 'next top jock' award, which comes with a trip to Los Angeles.
Christian, along with former co-host Mel Greig, was suspended by the station last year after a phone prank in which he impersonated Prince Charles while calling a London hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was staying.
The nurse who answered the call and put it through to the Duchess's room committed suicide days later.
Senator Conroy told Neil Mitchell it was too soon for Christian to win such awards.
"I think there's a bit of bad taste involved there," Mr Conroy said.
"There was some very serious consequences of what was a prank and to be seen to be rewarding people so soon after such an event, I think is just in bad taste."
NEIL MITCHELL: 'Has Southern Cross Austereo learnt nothing?'
Entertainment reporter Peter Ford told Ross and John's Breakfast show that Christian shouldn't have won the award, regardless of his credentials.
"He may well be the best on-air talent they have at the moment, I'm not disputing that," Peter Ford said.
"But, gee, wouldn't some sort of innate sense of PR either from the network or from Michael Christian himself actually say 'no, this is not the right time for me to be nominated or collecting awards'?"
UK correspondent Gavin Grey said London won't be impressed with Southern Cross Austereo.
"I think there'll be a great deal of anger," he told Ross and John.
"There's no doubt the family and a lot of people in this country will stare, frankly, in disbelief at this award."
LISTEN: Gavin Gray and Peter Ford with Ross and John.
I agree with Peggy. The actions of the nurse in taking her own life was her own choosing.Hooksy of Country Vic Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 2:14 PM
Stop pointing the finger at the 2 DJs, the people who are responsible are her family & the hospital. The woman made 2 attempts at killing herself before the prank, 1 jumping off a building & was placed into ICU , yet they allowed her to continue working. Bloody Disgracefuljanetp Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 9:36 AM
To the 2 DJ's who played a prank on a (either naÃ¯ve or stupid) nurse in my home country of England... My heart goes out to you both as it was a joke that many of radio stations around the world would have loved to have thought of??? we have many radio stations here who do similar pranks up and down the country on a daily basis... If you have been given an award which has had a poll, then you do deserve it... I'm sorry but I have not heard any of the past pranks or heard your station either??? but don't feel guilty as the miss-hap was not your fault and please believe me no one has any hard feelings towards you here in the U.K....
Keep your chin up and don't stop the music!!!stu ryan Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 5:52 AM
That regardless of all that's happened in the past few months I'm still at the top of my game. So it felt good to see my name at the top of the final leaderboard. - Michael Christian
Painfully shallow, self-obsessed, but lacking in self-awareness. Would have shown sensitivity towards Saldanha's family, and been a signal of ongoing contrition, to have curtly refused this nothing award. Foolish little man.Villa Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 1:18 AM
Michael Christian may not be totally responsible for that nurses death, But he showed very poor judgement in using a telephone in an act of Deception to of all places a hospital, If he's the best
Southern Cross Austereo must be desperate and maybe a few of us should ring ahead when he goes to LA..just to make sure they know he has a dead nurse on his resume!!Karen Thursday 6 June, 2013 - 1:05 AM
You are wrong Peggy and do not understand the cultural characteristics of the Lady who died. It is all about shame and she will have felt that she didn't do her job properly and let people down, particulalry Royalty. They are very loyal and devoted people and these DJ's gave no thought about the consequences of their actions and who might be taking the calls, particularly as they LIED about who they were and proceeded to imitate family members. She will have felt as though she was in a very difficult situation given that they pretended to be Royals. He should be sacked not rewarded and has shown no respect whatsoever. His gloating statement is sick.John Wednesday 5 June, 2013 - 8:55 PM