- Abbott softens talk on Russia
- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Crime stats reveal rape spike
PLAYING: Neil Mitchell's opening editorial about the freshly released crime statistics...What do they suggest? Scroll down and listen to Acting Police Commissioner Ken Lay with Neil Mitchell
Latest statistics suggest overall crime in Victoria has reduced slightly, but there's been increase in some offences including rape and assault, according to the latest Victoria Police crime statistics.
The figures for the 2010/2011 financial year however found an overall decrease of two point four per cent in reported crime across the state.
There were just over 1800 rapes reported in the 12 months to June, that's a nine per cent increase on the previous year.
Assaults jumped by five per cent, and robberies by eight per cent.
But there has been a 26 per cent decline in homicides with 152 cases reported last financial year, compared to 206 for the previous period.
Neil Mitchell was also joined by Ken Lay, who noted that he was most concerned about the rise in domestic violence within the home.
Lay also expressed worry about cyber crime coming from overseas, which he noted increased up to 100% from last year.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- Ben Wise on Twitter
Thank goodness we got rid of Mr Potato Head. At least Ken is giving us (the community) the truthful stats (I hope)Peter McKenzie Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:17 PM
When you 'import' a whole lot of young single males without any compatable females being readily available, it is asking for trouble. It seems a lot of these rapes and sexual asaults involve people from the sub-continent ( a description actually used by your news service in relation to an asault on a country train today). Would it be racist to only allow equal numbers of male and female international students to attend schools and univercities?Ronny Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:56 AM
At least Ken Lay tells it the way it is unlike Nixon and Overland, who kept telling us porkys>!Steve Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:48 AM
At least Ken Lay tells it the way it is unlike Nixon and Overland, who kept telling us porkys>!Steve Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:45 AM
I think we should know how many of these rapes were committed by people not born in Australia. Would it surprise anyone to know it would be in the majority?The truth, please Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:14 AM
Just goes to show how corrupt the last two imported chiefs were with thier false crime stats. Hope the government decides to stick with a real honest copper like Ken Lay when it makes it decision. The crime stats are not good but at least we see a chief commissioner with integrety and honesty.Leon Tuesday 30 August, 2011 - 10:07 AM