- Full James Hird statement
- Woman arrested over racist train assault
- Detective of the Year, Wayne Cheeseman, with Ross, John and Sly
- Ebola virus diagnosed in the US
- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Milton on Full James Hird statement Essendon can't sack Hird for choosing to pursue his legal rights. Go for it James. more
- acetrim on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US Why do people who come come back from Ebola infested places go into quarantine we quarantine plants and animals more
- Linda on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US How hard would it be to quarantine people coming in from affected countries for a couple of weeks? Inconvenient yes, but ... more
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
Divinyls Star Chrissy Amphlett dies of cancer
Australian music legend Chrissy Amphlett has died of cancer aged 53 in New York.
The lead singer from the Divinyls was born in Geelong and in 2006 was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame.
Amphlett was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and told Fairfax at the time the diagnosis had "thrown her for six".
"I'll get over it - I've got songs to sing, I've got stages to perform on. I'm a keep-on-going sort of girl,'' she said.
Because of her multiple sclerosis, Amphlett had said she was unable to receive radiation treatment for the cancer.
''It's shit and it's unfair, but life is not fair - even rock stars get breast cancer. But there've been many girls before me who have dealt with it successfully. It's easy to feel sorry for me but I feel sorry for people who are suffering it alone,'' she said.
LISTEN: Denis Walter, who went to High school with Chrissy, speaks to her in 2009
Australian music historian Glenn A. Baker spoke to Tom Elliott this afternoon, saying her death came as a complete surprise.
"Like so many formidable rockers, she seemed indestructible," he said.
"As every sort of young drunken lad who went to a gig and decided to give her some lip in the front row discovered, by the end of the first song they were usually cowering behind the mixing desk wondering what had hit them."
When Amphlett arrived on American shores, Baker said she took the US music scene by storm.
"To Americans, girl singers didn't act like that. Girl singers were ornamental and gentle. You might have had Janis Joplin, but apart from her, you didn't have females who came on like a locomotive train like Chrissy did."
Amphlett also proved to be a hit on stage, starring in the musical A boy from Oz and Blood Brothers, alongside Russell Crowe.
Amphlett lived in New York with her husband, former Divinyls drummer Charley Drayton.
- With 3AW News
LISTEN: Music Historian Glenn A Baker says Amphlett was one of a kind
Chrissy Amphlett best female singer evercol Tuesday 23 April, 2013 - 8:48 AM
GOD Bless you Chrissy thank you for the music Rest In PeaceMark Tuesday 23 April, 2013 - 8:34 AM
Not even our worst enemy deserves in their life time to be faced with one of these tragic diseases. Heaven has gained a beautiful singing angel, R.I.P. CHRISSY.Jillian Tuesday 23 April, 2013 - 8:16 AM
Australias original rock chick
A great lossGraeme Tuesday 23 April, 2013 - 7:28 AM
A true originalGreg Tuesday 23 April, 2013 - 6:13 AM
So sad you are gone Chrissy. Thank you for your wonderful music & the inspiration it gave to us. RIP. You will be missed.Cheryl Monday 22 April, 2013 - 10:49 PM