- Elderly woman killed at Reservoir
- Neil's Pics: Radio selfies
- Gang attack over baseball cap
- I never injected anyone: Demetriou
- Demetriou steps aside
- Tottenham soccer player di(v)es
- Laverton home goes up in flames
- William and Kate avoid Melbourne on royal tour
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Garry on Kew coup: Napthine's headache The extreme right of the Liberal Party strikes again, a good competent member now in trouble, Smith is probably one of Tom's ... more
- l ross on Demetriou steps aside Best News IN years more
- Brendan on Demetriou steps aside Andrew has done an excellent job. Its all about bums on seats and tv. ratings. A+ in both areas. more
- Steve. on Demetriou steps aside And not before time, the man was always out of his depth. more
- David on Demetriou steps aside He should have been removed last year for his attack on Essendon with no evidence or proof of any wrong doing. He did a ... more
- Kate on Demetriou steps aside I think this was in the rumour file! more
- biggles on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Qantas will av a jobe for her more
- Pradman on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Good to see some young blood instead of another matron. more
- Gazza on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault What a surprise more workers lose their jobs after Abbott/WORKCHOICES is elected.its the liberal way...... more
- colin on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hey, didn't a high profile 3AW minion classify this this whole thing as Bulltish.Haven't seen a rebuttal, but I will not ... more
- klarie mcintyre on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault how can a australian carrier expect to be sustainable when qantas opted to purchase a380s instead of 777-300ers which are ... more
- Bruno Marino on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault It's about time that we stop blaming all the companies that are RUNNING away from Australia and turn our attention on the ... more
- ian on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Tell Joyce to spend less on his hair DYE ?and he might save the AIRLINE.??? more
- Rachel on Talking Geelong I have started a Meetup Group called Grassroots Geelong Grassroots Geelong is an ideas exchange and Meetup group for ... more
- JX on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault The union leaders won't rest until every Australian business goes under. You only have to look at the ex union hacks in the ... more
- david on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hi perhaps, if those saving a couple of dollars on the cheap airlines should have put their hand in their pocket and flown ... more
- Reg Claybrook on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Clearly Joyce has to go. Its almost beyond belief he is still there. Like to hear what John Borghetti, now with Virgin,what ... more
- Steve on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault High wage demands by greedy unions and labors carbon tax have had a big influence on these decisions by Qantas and others ... more
- Steve on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford What a tragic waste of life and talent,R.I.P Charlotte.. more
- Janet P on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford Very Sad News she was a lovely lady, RIP. more
Does size matter? Not at Subway
Social media is currently buzzing with criticism of global Sandwich chain Subway after a Perth man snapped a photo of his 11-inch 'Footlong' Sub.
Last week Australian Matt Corby posted the now-infamous photo on Subway's Facebook page with the caption "pls respond". By Thursday afternoon the post had more than 129,000 "likes" and had been shared over 3700 times.
The sandwich chain dug itself in a deeper hole when it responded to Matt's complaint by stating the 'Footlong' was a branded name and not intended to be a 'measurement of length.'
"Looking at the photo doing the rounds, showing a slightly undersized sub, this bread clearly is not baked to our standards,'' the company said.
"With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, 'Subway Footlong' is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length."
The response has been labelled by many consumers as one of the worst PR spins in recent memory.
Matt Corby's Facebook photo of the offending 11-inch footlong. Photo: Facebook
Dr Paul Harrison, Chair of Consumer Behaviour at Deakin University said Subway got itself into a bit of a pickle.
"That's the problem with these trademark names, if you use a name like footlong which is in common usage, you're creating real problems for yourself.
"Subway should be saying sorry, we mucked up and next time we'll do better than a footlong," Dr. Harrison told Tom Elliott on Drive.
Others speculate a conspiracy is in play and Subway is deliberately cutting an inch off their sandwiches to save millions of dollars per year.
Why not stop the trick photography used by McDonald's on how big there sandwiches are. They portray them as if you can't get your mouth around them and actually are 1/2 that size!Dumbfounded Friday 25 January, 2013 - 2:27 AM
@Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM
With a quarter pounder you put on at least a quarter pound in the hips. With a footlong you don't grow 12 inches.Stanley Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 4:52 PM
Just about everything they say about themselves isn't true. Even their name....they're nothing like an underground railway.Eddy Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:48 AM
I don't even go there, went once got ripped off never been back, but this is a common scam that has been going on for years, the people who think it is a conspiracy to gain further revenue are correct. I recall when I was a kid just how big certain lollies were, check the size of them now and they have depleted by 50% yet the price has gone up.... what else is there for people to believe?.Terry Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:57 PM
Pleeeeeze, it is a bloody bread roll NOT a life and death situation as some of you would have us believe, over reaction from fast food haters, go get a life you silly people.GIW Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Has anyone weighed a quarter pounder,I'm sure the result will stun the world!!Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM