- Rumour File: AFL faces legal fight with union and Record reporters
- Aussie MH17 investigators in the line of fire
- Breakfast in Glasgow: Ross and John's day of food
- Abbott softens talk on Russia
- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Does size matter? Not at Subway
Social media is currently buzzing with criticism of global Sandwich chain Subway after a Perth man snapped a photo of his 11-inch 'Footlong' Sub.
Last week Australian Matt Corby posted the now-infamous photo on Subway's Facebook page with the caption "pls respond". By Thursday afternoon the post had more than 129,000 "likes" and had been shared over 3700 times.
The sandwich chain dug itself in a deeper hole when it responded to Matt's complaint by stating the 'Footlong' was a branded name and not intended to be a 'measurement of length.'
"Looking at the photo doing the rounds, showing a slightly undersized sub, this bread clearly is not baked to our standards,'' the company said.
"With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, 'Subway Footlong' is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length."
The response has been labelled by many consumers as one of the worst PR spins in recent memory.
Matt Corby's Facebook photo of the offending 11-inch footlong. Photo: Facebook
Dr Paul Harrison, Chair of Consumer Behaviour at Deakin University said Subway got itself into a bit of a pickle.
"That's the problem with these trademark names, if you use a name like footlong which is in common usage, you're creating real problems for yourself.
"Subway should be saying sorry, we mucked up and next time we'll do better than a footlong," Dr. Harrison told Tom Elliott on Drive.
Others speculate a conspiracy is in play and Subway is deliberately cutting an inch off their sandwiches to save millions of dollars per year.
Why not stop the trick photography used by McDonald's on how big there sandwiches are. They portray them as if you can't get your mouth around them and actually are 1/2 that size!Dumbfounded Friday 25 January, 2013 - 2:27 AM
@Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM
With a quarter pounder you put on at least a quarter pound in the hips. With a footlong you don't grow 12 inches.Stanley Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 4:52 PM
Just about everything they say about themselves isn't true. Even their name....they're nothing like an underground railway.Eddy Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:48 AM
I don't even go there, went once got ripped off never been back, but this is a common scam that has been going on for years, the people who think it is a conspiracy to gain further revenue are correct. I recall when I was a kid just how big certain lollies were, check the size of them now and they have depleted by 50% yet the price has gone up.... what else is there for people to believe?.Terry Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:57 PM
Pleeeeeze, it is a bloody bread roll NOT a life and death situation as some of you would have us believe, over reaction from fast food haters, go get a life you silly people.GIW Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Has anyone weighed a quarter pounder,I'm sure the result will stun the world!!Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM