- ISIS shoots at Australian aid plane: Reports
- Pedestrian killed on the West Gate Fwy
- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Does size matter? Not at Subway
Social media is currently buzzing with criticism of global Sandwich chain Subway after a Perth man snapped a photo of his 11-inch 'Footlong' Sub.
Last week Australian Matt Corby posted the now-infamous photo on Subway's Facebook page with the caption "pls respond". By Thursday afternoon the post had more than 129,000 "likes" and had been shared over 3700 times.
The sandwich chain dug itself in a deeper hole when it responded to Matt's complaint by stating the 'Footlong' was a branded name and not intended to be a 'measurement of length.'
"Looking at the photo doing the rounds, showing a slightly undersized sub, this bread clearly is not baked to our standards,'' the company said.
"With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, 'Subway Footlong' is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length."
The response has been labelled by many consumers as one of the worst PR spins in recent memory.
Matt Corby's Facebook photo of the offending 11-inch footlong. Photo: Facebook
Dr Paul Harrison, Chair of Consumer Behaviour at Deakin University said Subway got itself into a bit of a pickle.
"That's the problem with these trademark names, if you use a name like footlong which is in common usage, you're creating real problems for yourself.
"Subway should be saying sorry, we mucked up and next time we'll do better than a footlong," Dr. Harrison told Tom Elliott on Drive.
Others speculate a conspiracy is in play and Subway is deliberately cutting an inch off their sandwiches to save millions of dollars per year.
Why not stop the trick photography used by McDonald's on how big there sandwiches are. They portray them as if you can't get your mouth around them and actually are 1/2 that size!Dumbfounded Friday 25 January, 2013 - 2:27 AM
@Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM
With a quarter pounder you put on at least a quarter pound in the hips. With a footlong you don't grow 12 inches.Stanley Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 4:52 PM
Just about everything they say about themselves isn't true. Even their name....they're nothing like an underground railway.Eddy Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:48 AM
I don't even go there, went once got ripped off never been back, but this is a common scam that has been going on for years, the people who think it is a conspiracy to gain further revenue are correct. I recall when I was a kid just how big certain lollies were, check the size of them now and they have depleted by 50% yet the price has gone up.... what else is there for people to believe?.Terry Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:57 PM
Pleeeeeze, it is a bloody bread roll NOT a life and death situation as some of you would have us believe, over reaction from fast food haters, go get a life you silly people.GIW Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Has anyone weighed a quarter pounder,I'm sure the result will stun the world!!Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM