- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Does size matter? Not at Subway
Social media is currently buzzing with criticism of global Sandwich chain Subway after a Perth man snapped a photo of his 11-inch 'Footlong' Sub.
Last week Australian Matt Corby posted the now-infamous photo on Subway's Facebook page with the caption "pls respond". By Thursday afternoon the post had more than 129,000 "likes" and had been shared over 3700 times.
The sandwich chain dug itself in a deeper hole when it responded to Matt's complaint by stating the 'Footlong' was a branded name and not intended to be a 'measurement of length.'
"Looking at the photo doing the rounds, showing a slightly undersized sub, this bread clearly is not baked to our standards,'' the company said.
"With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, 'Subway Footlong' is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length."
The response has been labelled by many consumers as one of the worst PR spins in recent memory.
Matt Corby's Facebook photo of the offending 11-inch footlong. Photo: Facebook
Dr Paul Harrison, Chair of Consumer Behaviour at Deakin University said Subway got itself into a bit of a pickle.
"That's the problem with these trademark names, if you use a name like footlong which is in common usage, you're creating real problems for yourself.
"Subway should be saying sorry, we mucked up and next time we'll do better than a footlong," Dr. Harrison told Tom Elliott on Drive.
Others speculate a conspiracy is in play and Subway is deliberately cutting an inch off their sandwiches to save millions of dollars per year.
Why not stop the trick photography used by McDonald's on how big there sandwiches are. They portray them as if you can't get your mouth around them and actually are 1/2 that size!Dumbfounded Friday 25 January, 2013 - 2:27 AM
@Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM
With a quarter pounder you put on at least a quarter pound in the hips. With a footlong you don't grow 12 inches.Stanley Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 4:52 PM
Just about everything they say about themselves isn't true. Even their name....they're nothing like an underground railway.Eddy Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:48 AM
I don't even go there, went once got ripped off never been back, but this is a common scam that has been going on for years, the people who think it is a conspiracy to gain further revenue are correct. I recall when I was a kid just how big certain lollies were, check the size of them now and they have depleted by 50% yet the price has gone up.... what else is there for people to believe?.Terry Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 7:57 PM
Pleeeeeze, it is a bloody bread roll NOT a life and death situation as some of you would have us believe, over reaction from fast food haters, go get a life you silly people.GIW Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 4:23 PM
Has anyone weighed a quarter pounder,I'm sure the result will stun the world!!Gazza Tuesday 22 January, 2013 - 3:53 PM