- Man arrested after home invasion
- Hird to play no part at Essendon in 2014
- Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations against Labor
- Queen photobombs Comm Games selfie
- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
Drugs and guns spark siege
LATEST: A siege in Melbourne's north-west has come to an end after police arrested two men who were barricaded in a unit for four-and-a-half hours.
The pair, both aged in their 20s, were arrested after lengthy negotiations and as police raided five properties across Melbourne in connection with a drugs investigation.
*Scroll down for photos and Neil Mitchell's crosses to Victoria Police and Police Reporter Yvette Gray*
The siege began just after 6am when police attempted to arrest two men in Cumberland Drive in Maribyrnong.
The men refused to come out, prompting police to surround the unit. They were arrested about 10.30am.
Police said this morning that the raids had netted about 15 kilograms of methamphetamines worth between $10 million and $15 million during the raids.
Police said loaded hand guns and about $60,000 in cash was found at the Maribyrnong unit.
Another two men were arrested in connection with the drugs raids at Reservoir, Brunswick, Maribyrnong, Glenferrie and St Leonards, where police said the bulk of the drugs were found.
Detective Superintendent Doug Fryer said the raids uncovered one of the most sophisticated drug labs officers had seen in a decade.
He said the discovery of the clandestine lab in St Leonards 'should put a dent in the market'.
"Our clandestine laboratory squad say this is one of the most sophisticated labs they have seen in the last decade."
He said police were forced to clear the air before entering the St Leonards site, for fear of explosion.
"The lab was that volatile that our investigators and chemists had to withdraw from the premises because it was too dangerous."
- Mex Cooper, The Age
IMAGE: Tactical officers in Maribyrnong. Photo: Wayne Taylor.
IMAGE: Special operations police in Maribyrnong.
IMAGE: Streets cordoned off in Maribrynong (Yvette Gray).
PLAY: Police Reporter Yvette Gray says the raid was one of many drug busts across Melbourne today
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Can't we use the drug sniffer dogs to go door knocking in Meadow Heights and just have the big brawler van following along to lock them all up? Guarantee a van full from every street.Helen Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 12:27 PM
Also, try Ballarat! You will find lots of meth cooks there too! In the towns north of Ballarat as well there are a few fortress type houses that are extremely suspicious, these are inhabited by people with eyes popping out of their skulls (male and female!)ManoftheSwamp Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 11:41 AM
Not one raid and arrest in St. Albans?
Plan your next operation in St. Albans law enforcement people, you will certainly have success there.Vera Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 8:08 AM