- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City
- Senior cop calls for young drivers to stay on P-Plate up to age of 25
- Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay marriage
- Man deliberately struck in shocking hit-run
- 'Better late than never': Archbishop
- Pair found guilty over Brunswick panel beaters defensive homicide
- Bag snatcher targets blind woman in Keysborough
- Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving with suspended licence
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
- mandy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The parents need to have a go at whoever sent it and why and JAMES it was the NRL it has nothing to do with channel 9 Melb ... more
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
- Trent on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... get over it ! they never called the baby ugly ! the nrl footy show is much better tv then our afl footy show !@ if this is ... more
- IAN on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... If I was the NRL Show I would tell the parents to have a good look at themselves and take a COLD shower. more
- JamesD on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The Footy Show in Melbourne and Sydney is a disgrace. Newman for years has behaved so poorly with his humiliation of people ... more
Drugs and guns spark siege
LATEST: A siege in Melbourne's north-west has come to an end after police arrested two men who were barricaded in a unit for four-and-a-half hours.
The pair, both aged in their 20s, were arrested after lengthy negotiations and as police raided five properties across Melbourne in connection with a drugs investigation.
*Scroll down for photos and Neil Mitchell's crosses to Victoria Police and Police Reporter Yvette Gray*
The siege began just after 6am when police attempted to arrest two men in Cumberland Drive in Maribyrnong.
The men refused to come out, prompting police to surround the unit. They were arrested about 10.30am.
Police said this morning that the raids had netted about 15 kilograms of methamphetamines worth between $10 million and $15 million during the raids.
Police said loaded hand guns and about $60,000 in cash was found at the Maribyrnong unit.
Another two men were arrested in connection with the drugs raids at Reservoir, Brunswick, Maribyrnong, Glenferrie and St Leonards, where police said the bulk of the drugs were found.
Detective Superintendent Doug Fryer said the raids uncovered one of the most sophisticated drug labs officers had seen in a decade.
He said the discovery of the clandestine lab in St Leonards 'should put a dent in the market'.
"Our clandestine laboratory squad say this is one of the most sophisticated labs they have seen in the last decade."
He said police were forced to clear the air before entering the St Leonards site, for fear of explosion.
"The lab was that volatile that our investigators and chemists had to withdraw from the premises because it was too dangerous."
- Mex Cooper, The Age
IMAGE: Tactical officers in Maribyrnong. Photo: Wayne Taylor.
IMAGE: Special operations police in Maribyrnong.
IMAGE: Streets cordoned off in Maribrynong (Yvette Gray).
PLAY: Police Reporter Yvette Gray says the raid was one of many drug busts across Melbourne today
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Can't we use the drug sniffer dogs to go door knocking in Meadow Heights and just have the big brawler van following along to lock them all up? Guarantee a van full from every street.Helen Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 12:27 PM
Also, try Ballarat! You will find lots of meth cooks there too! In the towns north of Ballarat as well there are a few fortress type houses that are extremely suspicious, these are inhabited by people with eyes popping out of their skulls (male and female!)ManoftheSwamp Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 11:41 AM
Not one raid and arrest in St. Albans?
Plan your next operation in St. Albans law enforcement people, you will certainly have success there.Vera Wednesday 8 February, 2012 - 8:08 AM