- Footscray train station stabbing
- One person trapped after army base tank collision
- Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges
- Essendon footballer in hospital after alleged stabbing
- Top five Melbourne cycling danger spots revealed
- Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing dog amongst rubble
- Tornado death toll revised to 24, including nine children
- Elderly woman critical after home invasion stabbing
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
Embattled MP Craig Thomson arrested
Embattled MP Craig Thomson has been granted bail following his arrest on Thursday afternoon.
NSW fraud squad executed the arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and extortion squad following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
The Age report that Victorian detectives flew to Sydney on Thursday morning where they accompanied NSW police to Mr Thomson's electoral office on the NSW Central Coast.
In a statement, NSW Police confirmed a 48-year-old man was arrested at an address in Tuggerah around 1pm.
"He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence," NSW Police said.
"It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid."
It is understood Thomson will face court in Victoria next week.
LISTEN BELOW: Thomson's lawyer Chris McArdle speaks w/ Tom Elliott.
Meanwhile Mr Thomson 's lawyer Chris McArdle has accused police of being overly heavy-handed with his client.
"Why would you need 5 officers present to arrest someone for a $300 charge on a credit card. What were they not doing if they were doing that today?," he said on Sky News.
"If I get the mix correct it was 2 (Officers) from Victoria and 3 from NSW. Why didn't you just have one of each? What were the other 3 doing there? Handing out press releases?"
McArdle was clearly frustrated at the way in which the arrest was handled by Police telling the reporter "Channel 7 have had a camera crew outside his house and his office since about 7 o'clock this morning,"
"Channel 7 knew at 7 o'clock this morning. How come Craig Thomson, that is that target, didn't know until 1 o'clock this afternon?"
"Who told Channel 7? It's the same scandal as last time. Police Media told..." he said before being cut-off.
Julia Gillard on the arrest of #Thomson: "I've heard that there are media reports about this & I don't know anything else about it"— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) January 31, 2013
STATEMENT FROM VICTORIA POLICE:
New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
STATEMENT FROM NEW SOUTH WALES POLICE:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
Detectives arriving at Craig Thomson's electorate office. twitter.com/MarkWBurrows/s…— Mark Burrows (@MarkWBurrows) January 31, 2013
Government should sack Craig Thomson immadiate. He was the one signed, cerified and approval for all payments. He has duties to check all payments accruals to him. He seemed didn't do his job properly :(winnie Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 7:19 PM
Maybe a reporter can ask who is paying for his defense this time?
It shouldnt be the tax payer!!Mike F Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 12:14 PM
@Sinbad - it appears the grub has convinced himself he did no wrong - a meglomaniac it seems. I hope the court case is not delayed with the grub taking advantage of the Constitition which permits a politician only to not attend court when the national coward's castle is sitting! Justice delayed is justice denied remember, and we citizens would not like to see that happen to this unhappy chappy would we?Luigi T Cassimatis Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 8:21 AM
ivan@kinnane, what should they have done with serial shop lifter, Lib. Sen. Mary Jo Fisher after she was charged, tried and found guilty, then?James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 5:24 PM
Thomson doesn't deserve natural justice. Lynch him - he is worse than a horse thief!ivan@kinnane Friday 1 February, 2013 - 4:33 PM
Now Gillard will cause a long long delay with this boofhead's court case using the section of the Constitution that allows a politician charged with a criminal offence NOT to attend court when their Coward's Castle in country town Canberra is sitting. Dear oh bloody well dear and so the rot goes on and on.Sandra M Friday 1 February, 2013 - 11:22 AM