- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Embattled MP Craig Thomson arrested
Embattled MP Craig Thomson has been granted bail following his arrest on Thursday afternoon.
NSW fraud squad executed the arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and extortion squad following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
The Age report that Victorian detectives flew to Sydney on Thursday morning where they accompanied NSW police to Mr Thomson's electoral office on the NSW Central Coast.
In a statement, NSW Police confirmed a 48-year-old man was arrested at an address in Tuggerah around 1pm.
"He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence," NSW Police said.
"It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid."
It is understood Thomson will face court in Victoria next week.
LISTEN BELOW: Thomson's lawyer Chris McArdle speaks w/ Tom Elliott.
Meanwhile Mr Thomson 's lawyer Chris McArdle has accused police of being overly heavy-handed with his client.
"Why would you need 5 officers present to arrest someone for a $300 charge on a credit card. What were they not doing if they were doing that today?," he said on Sky News.
"If I get the mix correct it was 2 (Officers) from Victoria and 3 from NSW. Why didn't you just have one of each? What were the other 3 doing there? Handing out press releases?"
McArdle was clearly frustrated at the way in which the arrest was handled by Police telling the reporter "Channel 7 have had a camera crew outside his house and his office since about 7 o'clock this morning,"
"Channel 7 knew at 7 o'clock this morning. How come Craig Thomson, that is that target, didn't know until 1 o'clock this afternon?"
"Who told Channel 7? It's the same scandal as last time. Police Media told..." he said before being cut-off.
Julia Gillard on the arrest of #Thomson: "I've heard that there are media reports about this & I don't know anything else about it"— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) January 31, 2013
STATEMENT FROM VICTORIA POLICE:
New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
STATEMENT FROM NEW SOUTH WALES POLICE:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
Detectives arriving at Craig Thomson's electorate office. twitter.com/MarkWBurrows/s…— Mark Burrows (@MarkWBurrows) January 31, 2013
Government should sack Craig Thomson immadiate. He was the one signed, cerified and approval for all payments. He has duties to check all payments accruals to him. He seemed didn't do his job properly :(winnie Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 7:19 PM
Maybe a reporter can ask who is paying for his defense this time?
It shouldnt be the tax payer!!Mike F Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 12:14 PM
@Sinbad - it appears the grub has convinced himself he did no wrong - a meglomaniac it seems. I hope the court case is not delayed with the grub taking advantage of the Constitition which permits a politician only to not attend court when the national coward's castle is sitting! Justice delayed is justice denied remember, and we citizens would not like to see that happen to this unhappy chappy would we?Luigi T Cassimatis Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 8:21 AM
ivan@kinnane, what should they have done with serial shop lifter, Lib. Sen. Mary Jo Fisher after she was charged, tried and found guilty, then?James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 5:24 PM
Thomson doesn't deserve natural justice. Lynch him - he is worse than a horse thief!ivan@kinnane Friday 1 February, 2013 - 4:33 PM
Now Gillard will cause a long long delay with this boofhead's court case using the section of the Constitution that allows a politician charged with a criminal offence NOT to attend court when their Coward's Castle in country town Canberra is sitting. Dear oh bloody well dear and so the rot goes on and on.Sandra M Friday 1 February, 2013 - 11:22 AM