- Terror raids: Hundreds of police swoop in Sydney and Brisbane
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- Australian troops land in Middle East for 'mission - not war'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
- Sue Hughes on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Such inconsiderate behaviour from so-called adults. I suspect these people have just moved in and couldn't care less about ... more
- Kathy on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... What happened to consideration and common sense mr and mrsÂ cubbins? I hope your made to pay to clean up your ... more
- Rick on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Simple solution as the neighbor who had their roller door blocked.Nissan Patrol + 4000kg snap strap.Rip it right off the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... This is crazy no one should own a lane way. Maybe in 1887 there was no lane way and it was a dirt horse trail. For once I am ... more
- Johnno on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Solicitor's and barrister's rubbing their hands over another prolonged adverse possession case. more
- Rob Jackson on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... How ridiculous...people are so stupid. Why would you put a roller door in that spot unless you were just trying to ... more
- Peter on Does Collingwood still want Lumumba? The best thing Collingwood could do would be to get rid of this clown! Too precious and full of his own importance! more
Embattled MP Craig Thomson arrested
Embattled MP Craig Thomson has been granted bail following his arrest on Thursday afternoon.
NSW fraud squad executed the arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and extortion squad following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
The Age report that Victorian detectives flew to Sydney on Thursday morning where they accompanied NSW police to Mr Thomson's electoral office on the NSW Central Coast.
In a statement, NSW Police confirmed a 48-year-old man was arrested at an address in Tuggerah around 1pm.
"He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence," NSW Police said.
"It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid."
It is understood Thomson will face court in Victoria next week.
LISTEN BELOW: Thomson's lawyer Chris McArdle speaks w/ Tom Elliott.
Meanwhile Mr Thomson 's lawyer Chris McArdle has accused police of being overly heavy-handed with his client.
"Why would you need 5 officers present to arrest someone for a $300 charge on a credit card. What were they not doing if they were doing that today?," he said on Sky News.
"If I get the mix correct it was 2 (Officers) from Victoria and 3 from NSW. Why didn't you just have one of each? What were the other 3 doing there? Handing out press releases?"
McArdle was clearly frustrated at the way in which the arrest was handled by Police telling the reporter "Channel 7 have had a camera crew outside his house and his office since about 7 o'clock this morning,"
"Channel 7 knew at 7 o'clock this morning. How come Craig Thomson, that is that target, didn't know until 1 o'clock this afternon?"
"Who told Channel 7? It's the same scandal as last time. Police Media told..." he said before being cut-off.
Julia Gillard on the arrest of #Thomson: "I've heard that there are media reports about this & I don't know anything else about it"— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) January 31, 2013
STATEMENT FROM VICTORIA POLICE:
New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
STATEMENT FROM NEW SOUTH WALES POLICE:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
Detectives arriving at Craig Thomson's electorate office. twitter.com/MarkWBurrows/s…— Mark Burrows (@MarkWBurrows) January 31, 2013
Government should sack Craig Thomson immadiate. He was the one signed, cerified and approval for all payments. He has duties to check all payments accruals to him. He seemed didn't do his job properly :(winnie Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 7:19 PM
Maybe a reporter can ask who is paying for his defense this time?
It shouldnt be the tax payer!!Mike F Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 12:14 PM
@Sinbad - it appears the grub has convinced himself he did no wrong - a meglomaniac it seems. I hope the court case is not delayed with the grub taking advantage of the Constitition which permits a politician only to not attend court when the national coward's castle is sitting! Justice delayed is justice denied remember, and we citizens would not like to see that happen to this unhappy chappy would we?Luigi T Cassimatis Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 8:21 AM
ivan@kinnane, what should they have done with serial shop lifter, Lib. Sen. Mary Jo Fisher after she was charged, tried and found guilty, then?James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 5:24 PM
Thomson doesn't deserve natural justice. Lynch him - he is worse than a horse thief!ivan@kinnane Friday 1 February, 2013 - 4:33 PM
Now Gillard will cause a long long delay with this boofhead's court case using the section of the Constitution that allows a politician charged with a criminal offence NOT to attend court when their Coward's Castle in country town Canberra is sitting. Dear oh bloody well dear and so the rot goes on and on.Sandra M Friday 1 February, 2013 - 11:22 AM