- 'Thrill killer' Hemming jailed
- Homegrown terror risks by numbers
- Man arrested after police chase
- Three dead in fatal 'neighbourhood dispute'
- Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues
- Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince Engineering to sack 100 workers
- 'Violence, unsafe sex and drugs'
- Why Rosie Batty erupted
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
- david lucas on Man arrested after police chase Dont the police have road spikes? This has gone too long putting many people in small town and on the road at risk more
- MskK on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues You surely have to ask what all these attacks have as a common denominator.... That would be Islam! more
- PJ on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Its time we faced facts. Australians subsidise Renewable Energy to the tune of $21 Billion now just so its electricity can ... more
- GIW on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues mylene, your comments are just so unbelievable. Get your Labor/Socialist brain into a right mind and say something sensible, ... more
- David on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Why do they blame the government? Seems to me that they're just using it as an excuse to reduce staff to make more money more
- PJ on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Morning Neil, I listen with shock at the interview with that Professor.1. tax payer funded job programmes 2. more free ... more
- Peggy on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues I say, let the Jihadists go and hopefully they won't come back for whatever reson but change laws so that they can't come ... more
- Peggy on Why Rosie Batty erupted Someone failed this little boy that's for sure and this is what this is all about.Everyone must answer all questions ... more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted @ Heather, the police are not stupid. My husband has dealt with hundreds of court orders over his career. The problem is ... more
- GIW on Why Rosie Batty erupted I agree with you @Damo and like you was not game enough to say anything. I was asking that same question from the beginning. more
- mylene on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues More people are going to get killed in Australia in domestic incidents and disputes with neighbours than terrorism. You ... more
- Ben on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues This is one reason why security should be tight at government premises and that includes a ban on wearing the burka in ... more
- Pradman on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Meanwhile all burqa wearers are welcome in Canberra. more
- Heather on Why Rosie Batty erupted I feel for Rosie Batty ' s loss of her son Luke. It seems the Andersons actions are attributed to MI when it should be ... more
- Factsseeker on Why Rosie Batty erupted What is the matter with our conservative media. There was a child killed here ! The coronial inquiry is being held to try ... more
- Damo on Why Rosie Batty erupted I know i will cop it for saying this but my understanding of this is: Rosie got a intervention order against her husband. ... more
- IBARKER on Why Rosie Batty erupted This one reason why she should not enter Politics. more
Embattled MP Craig Thomson arrested
Embattled MP Craig Thomson has been granted bail following his arrest on Thursday afternoon.
NSW fraud squad executed the arrest warrant on behalf of the Victorian Fraud and extortion squad following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
The Age report that Victorian detectives flew to Sydney on Thursday morning where they accompanied NSW police to Mr Thomson's electoral office on the NSW Central Coast.
In a statement, NSW Police confirmed a 48-year-old man was arrested at an address in Tuggerah around 1pm.
"He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence," NSW Police said.
"It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid."
It is understood Thomson will face court in Victoria next week.
LISTEN BELOW: Thomson's lawyer Chris McArdle speaks w/ Tom Elliott.
Meanwhile Mr Thomson 's lawyer Chris McArdle has accused police of being overly heavy-handed with his client.
"Why would you need 5 officers present to arrest someone for a $300 charge on a credit card. What were they not doing if they were doing that today?," he said on Sky News.
"If I get the mix correct it was 2 (Officers) from Victoria and 3 from NSW. Why didn't you just have one of each? What were the other 3 doing there? Handing out press releases?"
McArdle was clearly frustrated at the way in which the arrest was handled by Police telling the reporter "Channel 7 have had a camera crew outside his house and his office since about 7 o'clock this morning,"
"Channel 7 knew at 7 o'clock this morning. How come Craig Thomson, that is that target, didn't know until 1 o'clock this afternon?"
"Who told Channel 7? It's the same scandal as last time. Police Media told..." he said before being cut-off.
Julia Gillard on the arrest of #Thomson: "I've heard that there are media reports about this & I don't know anything else about it"— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) January 31, 2013
STATEMENT FROM VICTORIA POLICE:
New South Wales Fraud Squad detectives acting on behalf of the Victoria Police Fraud and Extortion Squad have arrested a 48-year-old man in New South Wales today as part of an ongoing investigation.
He was arrested at a property in Tuggerah Lakes about 1pm.
The man is currently assisting police with their enquiries.
STATEMENT FROM NEW SOUTH WALES POLICE:
A man wanted in Victoria on fraud offences has been arrested on the NSW Central Coast by officers from State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad.
An arrest warrant had been issued for the 48-year-old man by Victorian authorities following investigations into allegations of fraud committed against the Health Services Union.
About 1pm today (Thursday 31 January 2013), detectives attached to Strike Force Carnarvon arrested the man at an address in Tuggerah.
He was taken to Wyong Police Station where he is expected to be charged by virtue of the arrest warrant with a fraud offence.
It is expected he will go before Wyong Local Court where a further 149 fraud charges are to be laid.
It is anticipated that Victorian detectives will apply for the man’s extradition to Victoria.
Detectives arriving at Craig Thomson's electorate office. twitter.com/MarkWBurrows/s…— Mark Burrows (@MarkWBurrows) January 31, 2013
Government should sack Craig Thomson immadiate. He was the one signed, cerified and approval for all payments. He has duties to check all payments accruals to him. He seemed didn't do his job properly :(winnie Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 7:19 PM
Maybe a reporter can ask who is paying for his defense this time?
It shouldnt be the tax payer!!Mike F Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 12:14 PM
@Sinbad - it appears the grub has convinced himself he did no wrong - a meglomaniac it seems. I hope the court case is not delayed with the grub taking advantage of the Constitition which permits a politician only to not attend court when the national coward's castle is sitting! Justice delayed is justice denied remember, and we citizens would not like to see that happen to this unhappy chappy would we?Luigi T Cassimatis Sunday 3 February, 2013 - 8:21 AM
ivan@kinnane, what should they have done with serial shop lifter, Lib. Sen. Mary Jo Fisher after she was charged, tried and found guilty, then?James W Friday 1 February, 2013 - 5:24 PM
Thomson doesn't deserve natural justice. Lynch him - he is worse than a horse thief!ivan@kinnane Friday 1 February, 2013 - 4:33 PM
Now Gillard will cause a long long delay with this boofhead's court case using the section of the Constitution that allows a politician charged with a criminal offence NOT to attend court when their Coward's Castle in country town Canberra is sitting. Dear oh bloody well dear and so the rot goes on and on.Sandra M Friday 1 February, 2013 - 11:22 AM