- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
Facebook page set-up to personally attack Highway Patrol Officer
A touch of madness that shows why we have a problem on the roads.
Late last night, about 10 o’clock, some idiots set up a facebook page targeting one traffic policeman. They used a photo of him, they threw dangerous, personal, vitriolic and offensive abuse at him. They incited people to take him on.
The page says it is 'Dedicated to the harassment and victimisation of taxpaying Victorian road users by (and it names him) and his crusade against import car owners'.
It was set up last night and has nearly 1000 followers already. And growing by the minute.
Some of the messages: “He has harassed anyone with a performance vehicle for ten years…..”
“The bloke is a tool”
“Gets on his high horse every time he gets into his uniform”
“He is a disgrace… damaging the automotive industry”
... And worse.
This is nasty stuff and arguably illegal. It stops short of threats but it has his photo there and it is inviting people to harass him. To vilify him.
I am not going to name the policeman. He is a sergeant in the Highway Patrol. If I name him I encourage this nonsense. It is ugly stuff driven by self-interested hoons. And let’s face it, if he is out there booking these idiots he is doing the right thing by us -those of us who want to use the roads safely.
I won’t name him for his sake and because I don’t want to encourage idiots but I reckon Victoria Police should stand by him and damn near give him a medal.
He is clearly doing what he should. He is taking knuckle dragging idiots off the roads.
We alerted Police command to this today. As I said only set up last night so let’s see what they do.
Facebook has no public conscience so they won’t take it down.
VicPol should stand by this officer and send a message.
I personally know the bloke with the car in question. It is totally stock. He explained clearly to the officer its a safety option, as stated clearly in the manufactures manual. He now has to go to court, waste his personal time, time off work at his expense, travel to and from along with the added stress to go with it. Meanwhile the officer wipes his hands clean. Now even if half the people in question have done something wrong, theres still enough questionable situations on this officer to warrant a investigation into his action. As for neil mitchell. Your just a puppet for commercial radio siding with whatever gets you the highest rating. You have no idea of the situation at hand.matt Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 10:04 AM
if there were so many complaints against this officer why wasnt an enquiry made as to how this officer does his job. even worse than a unsteady citizen is a renegade cop running a muck beleiveing he is the power behind the law. im sick of police covering for each other, we need a separate body of equal power to govern the police. us "knuckledragging" "hoons" need to wake up to the consistent presentation methods these police use during news reports to portray us model drivers as a major danger needing police attention, so they then look like heroes for going after us.kyal Friday 14 December, 2012 - 3:04 PM
@mylene: Quite correct; but at least here they are comparatively harmless.David T. Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 5:37 PM
I know plenty of guys, and girls for that matter, young and old, that poor thousands of dollars into their cars because it is their passion. It's no different to being a musician, a fitness junkie or a stamp collector. These people are not "hoons" as they are so loosely branded. The hoons are the guys that drive rubbish cars making themselves feel "big" by speeding or doing burn outs. It is by no means right to threaten or paste this officers picture on Facebook or encourage people to have a go at him. I dare say a decent percentage of the people that joined it are the lottle men that try and make themselves feel big BUT there is a problem when an officer is publicly commended for good work when there is evidence for a case against his interpretation of the laws that he enforces. If I make a mistake at work I am not publicly commended for it, nor do I get a commission for it. I am reprimanded and told of my actions.Thomas Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 4:42 PM
The facebook page was wrong, was the guy doing something inappropriate at the time to be pulled over?
And was the car in factory condition? The courts should award damages to the public if they fight a fine and win. Then the police won't be so pen happy to issue fines.Matt Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 11:36 AM
wheres my comment gone, selective journalism dosnt suprize mecraig sawyer Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 11:04 AM