- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
Hazel Hawke passes away
Much-loved Australian Hazel Hawke has died at the age of 83 after succumbing to complications of dementia.
The former wife of Bob Hawke died peacefully surrounded by her family, who had been with her in her last days.
She was diagnosed with Alzeheimers disease in 2001.
Hazel Hawke in 1992 (Photo: Wayne Ludbey)
In a statement, the family says they appreciate the great affection many have for Ms Hawke.
There will be a private funeral for family and close friends followed by a memorial celebration of her life.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard tonight paid tribute to "a wonderful Australian".
"I was so sad to learn this evening that Hazel Hawke has died," Ms Gillard said in a statement tonight.
"Ordinary Australians saw the best of themselves in Hazel – many women of her generation will feel they have lost a friend.
"Hazel was one of those rare people who are liked and respected in equal measure. Her warmth and generosity of spirit in success were only matched by her courage and dignity in adversity.
"Bob Hawke's public achievements in the union movement and in Government are unthinkable without Hazel's steadfast support.
After her diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, Hazel's life of service to Australia continued in ever more trying circumstances.
"We have lost a wonderful Australian.
"In coming days the Government will discuss with her family an appropriate way to recognise Hazel's contribution to public life."
Former Victorian premier Joan Kirner says Hazel Hawke was a remarkable person.
"We always knew it was going to happen but we dreaded it because Hazel is a Labor hero," Mrs Kirner said.
"I think she's a community hero because of her clear values, her strength (and) her support for Bob through thick and thin."
You don't have to be famous to have an impact on others lives. Hazel Hawke was warm, funny, human and showed incredible grace when confronted by a publically unfaithful husband. She was definitely the real strength of the Hawke mystique but was never defined as simply being the wife of a prime minister. I didn't know her at all but I feel a real sense of sorrow and loss for a public person that I actually esteemed.Sue Cassell Friday 24 May, 2013 - 6:32 PM
What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to happen everytime an ex-wife of a PM dies?sad but so what?! Friday 24 May, 2013 - 12:40 PM
A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........Gazza Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 10:52 PM
A strong and talented woman I admired her views.mandy Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 9:24 PM
Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.
She truly was a gr8 Australian.Joybells Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:25 PM
A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad ,Anita Elkington Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:08 PM