- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Hazel Hawke passes away
Much-loved Australian Hazel Hawke has died at the age of 83 after succumbing to complications of dementia.
The former wife of Bob Hawke died peacefully surrounded by her family, who had been with her in her last days.
She was diagnosed with Alzeheimers disease in 2001.
Hazel Hawke in 1992 (Photo: Wayne Ludbey)
In a statement, the family says they appreciate the great affection many have for Ms Hawke.
There will be a private funeral for family and close friends followed by a memorial celebration of her life.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard tonight paid tribute to "a wonderful Australian".
"I was so sad to learn this evening that Hazel Hawke has died," Ms Gillard said in a statement tonight.
"Ordinary Australians saw the best of themselves in Hazel – many women of her generation will feel they have lost a friend.
"Hazel was one of those rare people who are liked and respected in equal measure. Her warmth and generosity of spirit in success were only matched by her courage and dignity in adversity.
"Bob Hawke's public achievements in the union movement and in Government are unthinkable without Hazel's steadfast support.
After her diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, Hazel's life of service to Australia continued in ever more trying circumstances.
"We have lost a wonderful Australian.
"In coming days the Government will discuss with her family an appropriate way to recognise Hazel's contribution to public life."
Former Victorian premier Joan Kirner says Hazel Hawke was a remarkable person.
"We always knew it was going to happen but we dreaded it because Hazel is a Labor hero," Mrs Kirner said.
"I think she's a community hero because of her clear values, her strength (and) her support for Bob through thick and thin."
You don't have to be famous to have an impact on others lives. Hazel Hawke was warm, funny, human and showed incredible grace when confronted by a publically unfaithful husband. She was definitely the real strength of the Hawke mystique but was never defined as simply being the wife of a prime minister. I didn't know her at all but I feel a real sense of sorrow and loss for a public person that I actually esteemed.Sue Cassell Friday 24 May, 2013 - 6:32 PM
What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to happen everytime an ex-wife of a PM dies?sad but so what?! Friday 24 May, 2013 - 12:40 PM
A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........Gazza Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 10:52 PM
A strong and talented woman I admired her views.mandy Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 9:24 PM
Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.
She truly was a gr8 Australian.Joybells Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:25 PM
A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad ,Anita Elkington Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:08 PM