- Luke wasn't scared of his father
- 'We've got to get through to these irresponsible thugs'
- Wildlife sanctuary saved
- Salvos attacked by ice users
- Masters of their craft
- Man found dead in old nursing home
- Teachers, students to protest together
- Parliamentary 'porn ring'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Phil on Teachers, students to protest together Its amazing the schools are encouraging their students to protest against 'children in the detention' but can't offer a ... more
- Bernadette on Teachers, students to protest together Catholic Teachings regarding Social Justice are very clearly set out, that ALL people regardless of who they are should at ... more
- Parent on Teachers, students to protest together A fantastic opportunity for young men to analyse & discuss the abhorrent detention of children who have a strong likelihood ... more
- Jack on Teachers, students to protest together I'm a student at st Bernard's college. Yesterday as protest was one that was derived from our colleges faith as Christians, ... more
- Turn it up on Teachers, students to protest together To everyone here commenting that this is disgusting and wrong and the students did not have a decision in the matter, Turn ... more
- Lina johns on Teachers, students to protest together Nice to see that we have young people in our community who have a heart and truly believe in humanity (children should not ... more
- Michael on Teachers, students to protest together I was a student at St Bernards.I couldn't be more proud. Well done boys and well done Tony. All you people having a whinge ... more
- Pedro on Teachers, students to protest together As a parent of a former 2014 St Bernard's College student, I congratulate Mr Paatsch on taking this leadership for the young ... more
- Sue on Teachers, students to protest together Disgusting that school teachers are allowed to infect our children with their views. more
- IBARKER on Teachers, students to protest together There is only one person that should their mouths and hands taped,that should be the TEACHER. more
- Flash on Teachers, students to protest together Brain washing, and the media doesn't. For your information and if you read the articles. Its completely option. I love ... more
- student on Teachers, students to protest together I am a student of the school in question and I can confidently say most of the opinions presented on this site are ... more
- jenny on Teachers, students to protest together when I was a kid at school my opinion was neither asked for or even valued. the issue of children in detention is so ... more
- Gloria on Teachers, students to protest together So typical of Catholic teaching, brainwash kids whilst they're young! more
- damien O'Neil on Teachers, students to protest together This bloke woukld have to be a member of the greens?? Doesn't have a clue and he is charge of teaching 1,400 students. God ... more
- Sarah on Teachers, students to protest together My son attends the school, we have had NO information, permission forms etc sent home, that said he want be going...doesn't ... more
- brad on Teachers, students to protest together You are all oblivious to the actual meaning of this protest. It is about social justice and simply not about politicising ... more
- Gazza on Teachers, students to protest together I would prefer if they were protesting against cuts to education and WORKCHOICES. more
- Elli on Teachers, students to protest together Peggy, you must not have been near a school for a while. Politics is most definitely a subject (a stand alone subject)in ... more
- Marko on Teachers, students to protest together If I had a child in St.Bernard's I'd be looking for a new school. Tony Paatsch is using his position to push his political ... more
Hazel Hawke passes away
Much-loved Australian Hazel Hawke has died at the age of 83 after succumbing to complications of dementia.
The former wife of Bob Hawke died peacefully surrounded by her family, who had been with her in her last days.
She was diagnosed with Alzeheimers disease in 2001.
Hazel Hawke in 1992 (Photo: Wayne Ludbey)
In a statement, the family says they appreciate the great affection many have for Ms Hawke.
There will be a private funeral for family and close friends followed by a memorial celebration of her life.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard tonight paid tribute to "a wonderful Australian".
"I was so sad to learn this evening that Hazel Hawke has died," Ms Gillard said in a statement tonight.
"Ordinary Australians saw the best of themselves in Hazel – many women of her generation will feel they have lost a friend.
"Hazel was one of those rare people who are liked and respected in equal measure. Her warmth and generosity of spirit in success were only matched by her courage and dignity in adversity.
"Bob Hawke's public achievements in the union movement and in Government are unthinkable without Hazel's steadfast support.
After her diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, Hazel's life of service to Australia continued in ever more trying circumstances.
"We have lost a wonderful Australian.
"In coming days the Government will discuss with her family an appropriate way to recognise Hazel's contribution to public life."
Former Victorian premier Joan Kirner says Hazel Hawke was a remarkable person.
"We always knew it was going to happen but we dreaded it because Hazel is a Labor hero," Mrs Kirner said.
"I think she's a community hero because of her clear values, her strength (and) her support for Bob through thick and thin."
You don't have to be famous to have an impact on others lives. Hazel Hawke was warm, funny, human and showed incredible grace when confronted by a publically unfaithful husband. She was definitely the real strength of the Hawke mystique but was never defined as simply being the wife of a prime minister. I didn't know her at all but I feel a real sense of sorrow and loss for a public person that I actually esteemed.Sue Cassell Friday 24 May, 2013 - 6:32 PM
What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to happen everytime an ex-wife of a PM dies?sad but so what?! Friday 24 May, 2013 - 12:40 PM
A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........Gazza Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 10:52 PM
A strong and talented woman I admired her views.mandy Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 9:24 PM
Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.
She truly was a gr8 Australian.Joybells Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:25 PM
A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad ,Anita Elkington Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:08 PM