- Woman arrested over racist train assault
- Detective of the Year, Wayne Cheeseman, with Ross, John and Sly
- Ebola virus diagnosed in the US
- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- Out-of-control driver smashes into Hawthorn home fence
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- acetrim on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US Why do people who come come back from Ebola infested places go into quarantine we quarantine plants and animals more
- Linda on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US How hard would it be to quarantine people coming in from affected countries for a couple of weeks? Inconvenient yes, but ... more
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
- Ed Niemiec on Police put on high alert Well done Vic Pol!! more
Hazel Hawke passes away
Much-loved Australian Hazel Hawke has died at the age of 83 after succumbing to complications of dementia.
The former wife of Bob Hawke died peacefully surrounded by her family, who had been with her in her last days.
She was diagnosed with Alzeheimers disease in 2001.
Hazel Hawke in 1992 (Photo: Wayne Ludbey)
In a statement, the family says they appreciate the great affection many have for Ms Hawke.
There will be a private funeral for family and close friends followed by a memorial celebration of her life.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard tonight paid tribute to "a wonderful Australian".
"I was so sad to learn this evening that Hazel Hawke has died," Ms Gillard said in a statement tonight.
"Ordinary Australians saw the best of themselves in Hazel – many women of her generation will feel they have lost a friend.
"Hazel was one of those rare people who are liked and respected in equal measure. Her warmth and generosity of spirit in success were only matched by her courage and dignity in adversity.
"Bob Hawke's public achievements in the union movement and in Government are unthinkable without Hazel's steadfast support.
After her diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease, Hazel's life of service to Australia continued in ever more trying circumstances.
"We have lost a wonderful Australian.
"In coming days the Government will discuss with her family an appropriate way to recognise Hazel's contribution to public life."
Former Victorian premier Joan Kirner says Hazel Hawke was a remarkable person.
"We always knew it was going to happen but we dreaded it because Hazel is a Labor hero," Mrs Kirner said.
"I think she's a community hero because of her clear values, her strength (and) her support for Bob through thick and thin."
You don't have to be famous to have an impact on others lives. Hazel Hawke was warm, funny, human and showed incredible grace when confronted by a publically unfaithful husband. She was definitely the real strength of the Hawke mystique but was never defined as simply being the wife of a prime minister. I didn't know her at all but I feel a real sense of sorrow and loss for a public person that I actually esteemed.Sue Cassell Friday 24 May, 2013 - 6:32 PM
What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to happen everytime an ex-wife of a PM dies?sad but so what?! Friday 24 May, 2013 - 12:40 PM
A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........Gazza Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 10:52 PM
A strong and talented woman I admired her views.mandy Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 9:24 PM
Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.
She truly was a gr8 Australian.Joybells Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:25 PM
A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad ,Anita Elkington Thursday 23 May, 2013 - 8:08 PM