- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- Woman badly burned in shocking Ardeer assault
- Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
How can you believe Carey?
DERRYN HINCH: If nobody, apart from Neil Mitchell, believes Wayne Carey's story about why he tested positive for cocaine at Barwon Prison he only has himself to blame.
*Scroll below editorial to listen to Wayne Carey's interview with Neil Mitchell on Thursday morning*
His history with illegal drugs and drug dealers is appalling and he has rarely come across as, shall we say, the most truthful, let alone upstanding, of citizens. There was the front screamer of a headline in the Herald Sun today: Carey - Jail Drug Bust. Guards detect cocaine on footy legend before prison visit.
People will believe the worst - and not only his coterie of cocaine - users like his former manager and mate Ricky Nixon. And you can't blame them.
Even though the drug-scanning equipment which implicated the former football star is apparently notoriously sensitive and can tag cocaine traces on a person even if they have inly shaken a user's hand. Or sat on the same train seat.
Not that I'm saying Carey went to Barwon by train. And it may mean something that his mate who went there with him, former Geelong star, Ronnie Burns, did set off the drug alarm.
The sad thing is that Carey and Burns went to the jail as a civic duty. They were going there to give a pep talk to indigenous prisoners. And it all went sour. And on a day before he was meant to be taking his daughter to school for her first day.
But, as I said, he only has himself to blame. I remember a few years ago when I watched preview copies of the first episodes of Underbelly. They featured two of the most violent drug dealers, standover men and killers in Melbourne. The swaggering sociopathic killer Alphonse Gangitano and his brother-in-crime Jason Moran.
The first episode ended with Gangitano and Moran's wild attack on patrons at the Sports Bar in King Street in 1995 in which thirteen patrons were injured and one girl lost an eye. The thieves fell out and Moran shot and killed Gangitano in his Templestowe home just over two years later.
And that story reminded me of Wayne Carey because back in 2000 - while he was still captain of the Kangaroos and before he was exposed and disgraced for sleeping with his vice-captain's wife – Wayne Carey gave character evidence for Moran when he finally appeared in court over the King Street bashings.
I thought at the time: Why? Did Moran have something on him? Why would a sporting hero publicly defend a notorious crim from a notorious murderous family?
In the witness box, under oath, Carey said he and Moran had been to one another's homes and always had a chat if they ran into each other in the street or supermarket. Giving evidence, he said, was 'a neighbourly thing to do'.
He was asked under oath if head he ever spoken to Moran about cannabis or amphetamines? "Never in my life."
Asked if anybody had made him attend court to give evidence Carey denied it. The extent of Carey's drug use was not known.
His own manager, Ricky Nixon, went on radio to talk about Carey visiting bars with 'a certain criminal element'.
Then there was the glassing incident with then-girlfriend, Kate Neilson, in a Florida hotel. When police were called he kicked one officer in the mouth and elbowed another in the face. He narrowly escaped jail.
Later came that fracas when police were called to a disturbance at his Port Melbourne apartment. Carey did a 60 Minutes interview with Ray Martin. It was a real blokey job. A puff piece for it led the Channel Nine News even on a night when Jane McGrath died.
None of the hard questions were asked. Like: Where he got the illegal drugs from? Who was his dealer? Did he buy cocaine and sell it to friends? Where did the $9,000 cash come from the last time he was arrested in his apartment? Why did he perjure himself for Jason Moran?
Carey told Mitchell 'categorically, 100 per cent' he hadn't taken any drugs and would have been happy to 'wee in a cup'.
One person not impressed with Carey's explanation for yesterday was ex-girlfriend Kate Neilson.
She said on Twitter: 'It was only a matter of time before you were caught again! #douchebag' and 'Why not say "no comment" rather than lie? Don't understand it'.
Neither do I. As I said, on this one Carey only has himself to blame.
EARLIER: Wayne Carey's dismissing an incident in which traces of cocaine were detected on him at a maximum security jail.
He was due to speak with inmates at Barwon Prison yesterday when he underwent a routine scan for drugs.
Carey's confirmed the test returned a positive result for traces of cocaine.
He says the woman administering the test admitted to him she'd tested twice before because of the sensitivity of the scanner.
Carey claims he was told the particles could have been picked up anywhere he'd been in the previous few days.
He denies he is back on drugs and was shattered to see his name in newspapers on Thursday morning as he prepared to take his daughter to school.
He's told Neil Mitchell he has not used cocaine 'for years'.
Mitchell said after he interviewed Carey he believed the ex-AFL star's version of events, but it appears his ex-girlfriend, Kate Neilson, may not.
She posted on her Twitter account this morning: "It was only a matter of time before you were caught again! #douchebag" and "Why not say "no comment" rather than lie? Don't understand it."
When asked by @3AW693 whether she was referring to Carey, Ms Neilson responded to us: "I think that might be fair comment."
Meanwhile, 3AW's Derryn Hinch posted this tweet: "Wayne Carey couldn't lie straight in bed when it involves drugs. Remember his character witness performance for drug-dealer Jason Moran?"
PLAY: Wayne Carey tells Neil Mitchell he's done nothing wrong
Wayne Carey has admitted he came close to taking his own life, desperately trying to escape the pain he had caused family and friends. Watch the archive video of Carey discussing his demons with Neil Mitchell.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
VIDEO: Matthew Lloyd discusses who he thinks will make the top 8 in 2012 and also discusses the leadership, or lack thereof, at certain clubs with the new season just around the corner. Click on the image of Lloyd for more, including an interview with James Hird.
Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney shared a fascinating interview with Sports Today on Tuesday. McCartney talks about how fans should expect Dogs players to be bigger, stronger and to 'give out more whacks than they take'.
Your home for breaking AFL news, views and anaylsis from Brian Taylor, Mick Malthouse, Tim Lane, Matthew Richardson, Matthew Lloyd, Leigh Matthews, Graeme Bond, Tony Leonard, Shane Healy, Tony Shaw, Bruce Eva, Caroline Wilson, Mike Sheahan, Brad Johnson, Rohan Connolly, Rohan Smith, Shane McInnes and Seb Costello.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
He will NEVER pee in a cup. Classic guilty persons defence , and then he will say he offered at the time and no one took him up on the offer ,and now it has expired. Please Wayne go away.Lisa Monday 6 February, 2012 - 11:54 AM
What I said was wrong on Thursday after looking at it again I now say the Herald Sun need ti ask themselves why they did not check their facts before pubishing what the did.JASON & MELISSA Sunday 5 February, 2012 - 11:51 AM
These machines are not infallible, and even the police roadside drug tests give false positive readings, they should be scrapped until there is a more certain test available....Mark Friday 3 February, 2012 - 7:22 AM
anyone who beleives wayne carey are DUMB. he has been a liarand a cheat all his life, a lepoard never changes its skin , he is guiltyannie king Friday 3 February, 2012 - 6:48 AM
Why do we have to believe or not believe Carey? and who was the knob that couldnt wait to report it to the media? Lift your game 3aw surely there is something more news worthy out there.Bored Friday 3 February, 2012 - 1:12 AM
Blame the Old Media for that, Pam B.gbh Thursday 2 February, 2012 - 5:00 PM