- Public transport price rise
- Sports star parents' scary ambo wait
- GWS joins gay marriage debate
- Smoking cops 'not a good look'
- Sly's Policeman of the year award
- Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop wife moving
- The most powerful selfie ever?
- Bung case not limited to one man: Lay
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- John Shields on ASADA set to charge Bombers: Sly Ahmed Saad has been individually penalised for his indiscretion so when are the Bomber players going to be charged ,Watson ... more
- Sinbad on Sly's Policeman of the year award Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......ahhhh 'fruitloop'....time to fortify the gates, set the alarms and take a double dose of ... more
- Emerald on GWS joins gay marriage debate I don't think anyone coming out in support of marriage equality is playing politics, only homophobes would see it that way. more
- 3am drunken cops on Sly's Policeman of the year award Provocation is no defence in Vic, but cheap drinks at the police club is the square up.Computers can only give you so much ... more
- Peggy on Preston road rage caught on camera But Neil, the ute is registered and it still happened. Isn't paying rego meant to stop this from happening?Bill from ... more
- PH on Smoking cops 'not a good look' I think you mean discreet (secretive) rather than discrete (separate).Let's hope they used an ashtray and didn't illegally ... more
- GIW on GWS joins gay marriage debate I wonder if ALL the players are in accord with this and will they display a rainbow logo on their jumpers? more
- David R on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Is smoking Illegal? No. Then what does it matter? more
- Steve on Sly's Policeman of the year award Must be a mate of slys>.. more
- Steve on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... All manufacturing in this country is on shaky ground because of union demands for high wages who's next to fold up?? more
- C. McDonald on Having issues streaming 3AW? I moved to Daylesford and cannot get 3AW although driving along the Calder to bendigo and then Echuca in my car I can get AW ... more
- Maureen on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... The unions don't get it. They are the reason that manufacturing is doomed in Australia. That, and years of a useless Labor ... more
- Jake on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Lay has presided over the new image of black-shirt gestapo police, so who cares about the smoking. more
- Pradman on Murder suspect in dispute over plaster ... He should have got a job with Mick Gatto; easier than plastering. more
- Give Up on Having issues streaming 3AW? I can't listen or watch 3AW any more - so sad. Will have to stick to the odd hour or two in the car. more
- Pradman on Video: Shark in Port Phillip Bay? There are plenty of bronze whalers seen in the bay every year from Rye to the heads. They clean up the dead seal carcasses. more
- Wayne on Preston road rage caught on camera This footage clearly shows the suction cup of a window mount for the phone so this recording is no more illegal than someone ... more
- nik on Preston road rage caught on camera I'm amazed the pic wasn't photoshopped and the use replaced with a bike! more
- bc on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... ask mud guts hockey to take a pay cut not on your life buddy neil ask hockey how much is it costing the tax payers flying ... more
- double standards for coppers on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Former Victoria Police detective Charlie Bezzina, who has(had) 38 years experience in force, says sometimes internal police ... more
How can you believe Carey?
DERRYN HINCH: If nobody, apart from Neil Mitchell, believes Wayne Carey's story about why he tested positive for cocaine at Barwon Prison he only has himself to blame.
*Scroll below editorial to listen to Wayne Carey's interview with Neil Mitchell on Thursday morning*
His history with illegal drugs and drug dealers is appalling and he has rarely come across as, shall we say, the most truthful, let alone upstanding, of citizens. There was the front screamer of a headline in the Herald Sun today: Carey - Jail Drug Bust. Guards detect cocaine on footy legend before prison visit.
People will believe the worst - and not only his coterie of cocaine - users like his former manager and mate Ricky Nixon. And you can't blame them.
Even though the drug-scanning equipment which implicated the former football star is apparently notoriously sensitive and can tag cocaine traces on a person even if they have inly shaken a user's hand. Or sat on the same train seat.
Not that I'm saying Carey went to Barwon by train. And it may mean something that his mate who went there with him, former Geelong star, Ronnie Burns, did set off the drug alarm.
The sad thing is that Carey and Burns went to the jail as a civic duty. They were going there to give a pep talk to indigenous prisoners. And it all went sour. And on a day before he was meant to be taking his daughter to school for her first day.
But, as I said, he only has himself to blame. I remember a few years ago when I watched preview copies of the first episodes of Underbelly. They featured two of the most violent drug dealers, standover men and killers in Melbourne. The swaggering sociopathic killer Alphonse Gangitano and his brother-in-crime Jason Moran.
The first episode ended with Gangitano and Moran's wild attack on patrons at the Sports Bar in King Street in 1995 in which thirteen patrons were injured and one girl lost an eye. The thieves fell out and Moran shot and killed Gangitano in his Templestowe home just over two years later.
And that story reminded me of Wayne Carey because back in 2000 - while he was still captain of the Kangaroos and before he was exposed and disgraced for sleeping with his vice-captain's wife – Wayne Carey gave character evidence for Moran when he finally appeared in court over the King Street bashings.
I thought at the time: Why? Did Moran have something on him? Why would a sporting hero publicly defend a notorious crim from a notorious murderous family?
In the witness box, under oath, Carey said he and Moran had been to one another's homes and always had a chat if they ran into each other in the street or supermarket. Giving evidence, he said, was 'a neighbourly thing to do'.
He was asked under oath if head he ever spoken to Moran about cannabis or amphetamines? "Never in my life."
Asked if anybody had made him attend court to give evidence Carey denied it. The extent of Carey's drug use was not known.
His own manager, Ricky Nixon, went on radio to talk about Carey visiting bars with 'a certain criminal element'.
Then there was the glassing incident with then-girlfriend, Kate Neilson, in a Florida hotel. When police were called he kicked one officer in the mouth and elbowed another in the face. He narrowly escaped jail.
Later came that fracas when police were called to a disturbance at his Port Melbourne apartment. Carey did a 60 Minutes interview with Ray Martin. It was a real blokey job. A puff piece for it led the Channel Nine News even on a night when Jane McGrath died.
None of the hard questions were asked. Like: Where he got the illegal drugs from? Who was his dealer? Did he buy cocaine and sell it to friends? Where did the $9,000 cash come from the last time he was arrested in his apartment? Why did he perjure himself for Jason Moran?
Carey told Mitchell 'categorically, 100 per cent' he hadn't taken any drugs and would have been happy to 'wee in a cup'.
One person not impressed with Carey's explanation for yesterday was ex-girlfriend Kate Neilson.
She said on Twitter: 'It was only a matter of time before you were caught again! #douchebag' and 'Why not say "no comment" rather than lie? Don't understand it'.
Neither do I. As I said, on this one Carey only has himself to blame.
EARLIER: Wayne Carey's dismissing an incident in which traces of cocaine were detected on him at a maximum security jail.
He was due to speak with inmates at Barwon Prison yesterday when he underwent a routine scan for drugs.
Carey's confirmed the test returned a positive result for traces of cocaine.
He says the woman administering the test admitted to him she'd tested twice before because of the sensitivity of the scanner.
Carey claims he was told the particles could have been picked up anywhere he'd been in the previous few days.
He denies he is back on drugs and was shattered to see his name in newspapers on Thursday morning as he prepared to take his daughter to school.
He's told Neil Mitchell he has not used cocaine 'for years'.
Mitchell said after he interviewed Carey he believed the ex-AFL star's version of events, but it appears his ex-girlfriend, Kate Neilson, may not.
She posted on her Twitter account this morning: "It was only a matter of time before you were caught again! #douchebag" and "Why not say "no comment" rather than lie? Don't understand it."
When asked by @3AW693 whether she was referring to Carey, Ms Neilson responded to us: "I think that might be fair comment."
Meanwhile, 3AW's Derryn Hinch posted this tweet: "Wayne Carey couldn't lie straight in bed when it involves drugs. Remember his character witness performance for drug-dealer Jason Moran?"
PLAY: Wayne Carey tells Neil Mitchell he's done nothing wrong
Wayne Carey has admitted he came close to taking his own life, desperately trying to escape the pain he had caused family and friends. Watch the archive video of Carey discussing his demons with Neil Mitchell.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
VIDEO: Matthew Lloyd discusses who he thinks will make the top 8 in 2012 and also discusses the leadership, or lack thereof, at certain clubs with the new season just around the corner. Click on the image of Lloyd for more, including an interview with James Hird.
Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney shared a fascinating interview with Sports Today on Tuesday. McCartney talks about how fans should expect Dogs players to be bigger, stronger and to 'give out more whacks than they take'.
Your home for breaking AFL news, views and anaylsis from Brian Taylor, Mick Malthouse, Tim Lane, Matthew Richardson, Matthew Lloyd, Leigh Matthews, Graeme Bond, Tony Leonard, Shane Healy, Tony Shaw, Bruce Eva, Caroline Wilson, Mike Sheahan, Brad Johnson, Rohan Connolly, Rohan Smith, Shane McInnes and Seb Costello.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
He will NEVER pee in a cup. Classic guilty persons defence , and then he will say he offered at the time and no one took him up on the offer ,and now it has expired. Please Wayne go away.Lisa Monday 6 February, 2012 - 11:54 AM
What I said was wrong on Thursday after looking at it again I now say the Herald Sun need ti ask themselves why they did not check their facts before pubishing what the did.JASON & MELISSA Sunday 5 February, 2012 - 11:51 AM
These machines are not infallible, and even the police roadside drug tests give false positive readings, they should be scrapped until there is a more certain test available....Mark Friday 3 February, 2012 - 7:22 AM
anyone who beleives wayne carey are DUMB. he has been a liarand a cheat all his life, a lepoard never changes its skin , he is guiltyannie king Friday 3 February, 2012 - 6:48 AM
Why do we have to believe or not believe Carey? and who was the knob that couldnt wait to report it to the media? Lift your game 3aw surely there is something more news worthy out there.Bored Friday 3 February, 2012 - 1:12 AM
Blame the Old Media for that, Pam B.gbh Thursday 2 February, 2012 - 5:00 PM