- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Ian Thorpe's image being used to promote gay dance party
A photo of Australian swimming legend Ian Thorpe is being used to promote a Melbourne gay dance party.
The promotional poster for the 'Closet Party' features a black and white image of Thorpe above a slogan reading 'for homosexuals and those who love them'.
*READ THE PARTY'S RESPONSE TO NEIL MITCHELL BELOW*
Neil Mitchell says the use of Thorpe's image in this context 'an absurd public insult to Ian Thorpe around his sexuality'.
Thorpe has denied being gay on a number of occasions, and has admitted to a long battle with depression in his latest book This Is Me.
David McCarthy, The President of Melbourne's Gay and Lesbian radio station Joy 94.9, told Neil the poster is making fun of a serious issue.
"They (The Promoters) don't realise the impact that this can have on young gay and lesbians that are wanting to come out.
"This sort of stuff is just a gutless attack and they are just trying to generate some publicity which unfortunately that's what they are doing. I think they should be ashamed of themselves," he said.
The poster has been circulated on social media sites and two have been displayed near on the corner of Brunswick & Leicester Streets in Fitzroy.
The promoters' facebook page also asks people to nominate their 'fav rumoured to be gay celebrity' in return for free tickets.
The event is being held at the First Floor nightclub in Fitzroy on Friday night.
IMAGE: The poster on display in Fitzroy (3AW)
CLOSET PARTY RESPONDS TO NEIL MITCHELL
CLOSET is billed as a night for homosexuals and those who love them. In other words, we create a place where people can come and enjoy themselves regardless of their sexuality – and we welcome Tom, Hugh, Oprah, Kristen, Ian, Joy FM staff and even Neil Mitchell if he feels so inclined.
Hundreds of young LGBT people in Melbourne and Sydney come to our parties, and have a great time. We're sorry if certain radio presenters aren't among them or have no sense of humour, but perhaps they should attend one of our parties before slagging them off on talkback radio.
Our posters are nothing more than a lightly tongue-in-cheek homage to celebrities much loved (and occasionally talked about) by the gay community. We're not claiming to know what goes on between the sheets of any celebrity* – gay, straight, out or closeted. (*Unless we've slept with them - which is none of your beeswax).
We leave prying into the private lives of famous people to the media.
We don't judge the decision to be out, or be closeted. That's a personal choice, and one that we hope is becoming easier.
If a celebrity isn't gay, but they are a gay icon – who cares? Wear it like Madonna, and be flattered by your same-sex admirers.
If a celebrity – or indeed anyone – happens to be any of the colours of the LGBTIQ rainbow, we hope they are proud of who they are, and we think it is a shame if anyone anywhere still feels being gay (or lesbian, bi, queer, trans or intersex) is something to be ashamed of.
We don't. We think being gay is, well, rather fabulous. And that's what CLOSET is all about.
many celebs are more than happy to be a gay icon and that is all this photo is being used as. to many he has become a gay icon, doesn't mean he has to actually be gay. is kylie gay? get the picture? gay icons are chosen by the gay community. they don't volunteer for it and don't get to choose.dingo Monday 25 February, 2013 - 7:56 PM
Has Thorpe raised this as an issue?Ivan@kinnane Monday 25 February, 2013 - 12:27 PM
@Mylene "Sticky taped to a pole" I didn't realise Thorpy poo had any fans in Poland.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:09 AM
Hugh Jackman was used on the previous one. Caught my attention. Great parties.Njk Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:07 AM
I saw that sticky taped to a pole on Friday and had no idea who it was. Thanks Neil for pointing it out to all your listeners. ;)mylene Monday 25 February, 2013 - 10:22 AM
One can only assume Mitchell has contacted Thorpe to confirm he wasn't compilcit in this exercise.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 9:54 AM