- Man launches petition to reel in violent ticket inspectors
- ASADA fines Dogs
- 3AW finishes 2013 with superb result
- Introducing Melbourne's newest baby elephant
- Baby Daniel 'gagged, tied, kept in a cupboard'
- Murder suspect in dispute over plaster work, courts hears
- Police hunting beach thieves
- Video: Shark in Port Phillip Bay?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- William Griffin on Man launches petition to reel in ... Daniel get a grip in your world everyone has rights but you forget about responsibilities and respect for authority and ... more
- Teyem on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Back when it was Metcard, we paid for our ticket and used it for the day and threw it out.. Correct?Now with Myki, aswell as ... more
- mandy on Two murdered with kids in the house Nobody knows whether these people were innocent until its been investigated Kath and the article never mentioned what you ... more
- Kath on Two murdered with kids in the house Oh my God. Please tell me you did not put "domestic violence" in inverted commas when talking about the slaughter of two ... more
- marcel on Sign of the times? its common in Box Hill and Glen Waverley to see real estate agents advertising properties in Mandarin(chinese). My mother ... more
- Janet P on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What a disgusting low life. more
- Fat Controller on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Come on people itâ??s been around long enough by now I would have thought the constant whining would have subsided by now. ... more
- Roger on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Stupid system. I used my Myki the other day and noticed it had expired a month before (just after I previously used it)No ... more
- Sonya on Myki confusion forces closure of ... What I dont understand is why Myki passes expire? and why the complicated process of transferring credit from the old pass ... more
- Big Al on Myki confusion forces closure of ... This is like a really bad marriage. How long do you hang onto the disaster? At what point do you let go? I would suggest the ... more
- Joseph Logan on Two murdered with kids in the house I am just wondering if a FamIly Law Court decision had anything to do with this this " domestic violence"? Like, one man ... more
- john_at on Having issues streaming 3AW? www.australianliveradio.com provides a trouble-free steam of 3AW using Windows Media Player more
- Solomons' Sword on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Was it $100K 'dead' or alive, or is this just a bleating somebody trying to evade justice yet again?Knowing our 'justice' ... more
- Gary on Myki confusion forces closure of ... MYKI was always a job for the boys and a way to milk the system for mates. When once I raised a question about long lunches ... more
- Auto Repair Tempe on Holden recalls 50,000 imported cars Driving holden barina is really amazing if we don't find any technical problem. I have bought 2009 holden barina since long ... more
- Peggy on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene.How long do we have to put up with you?A truly great man has died. Many could learn from him. more
- It's So Simple on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just cut your losses now. Re-instate conductors and staff at every station. Install cameras for extra security. I am 120% ... more
- Joyfull on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Sadly, he will probably be treated quite well here in our jail. This country looks after criminals far better than our own ... more
- Rod on Myki confusion forces closure of ... My car had to be serviced so was forced onto public transport. Had a charged Myki ticket in my wallet which was purchased at ... more
- Gazza on Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage ... 6 years what a sick joke...... more
Ian Thorpe's image being used to promote gay dance party
A photo of Australian swimming legend Ian Thorpe is being used to promote a Melbourne gay dance party.
The promotional poster for the 'Closet Party' features a black and white image of Thorpe above a slogan reading 'for homosexuals and those who love them'.
*READ THE PARTY'S RESPONSE TO NEIL MITCHELL BELOW*
Neil Mitchell says the use of Thorpe's image in this context 'an absurd public insult to Ian Thorpe around his sexuality'.
Thorpe has denied being gay on a number of occasions, and has admitted to a long battle with depression in his latest book This Is Me.
David McCarthy, The President of Melbourne's Gay and Lesbian radio station Joy 94.9, told Neil the poster is making fun of a serious issue.
"They (The Promoters) don't realise the impact that this can have on young gay and lesbians that are wanting to come out.
"This sort of stuff is just a gutless attack and they are just trying to generate some publicity which unfortunately that's what they are doing. I think they should be ashamed of themselves," he said.
The poster has been circulated on social media sites and two have been displayed near on the corner of Brunswick & Leicester Streets in Fitzroy.
The promoters' facebook page also asks people to nominate their 'fav rumoured to be gay celebrity' in return for free tickets.
The event is being held at the First Floor nightclub in Fitzroy on Friday night.
IMAGE: The poster on display in Fitzroy (3AW)
CLOSET PARTY RESPONDS TO NEIL MITCHELL
CLOSET is billed as a night for homosexuals and those who love them. In other words, we create a place where people can come and enjoy themselves regardless of their sexuality – and we welcome Tom, Hugh, Oprah, Kristen, Ian, Joy FM staff and even Neil Mitchell if he feels so inclined.
Hundreds of young LGBT people in Melbourne and Sydney come to our parties, and have a great time. We're sorry if certain radio presenters aren't among them or have no sense of humour, but perhaps they should attend one of our parties before slagging them off on talkback radio.
Our posters are nothing more than a lightly tongue-in-cheek homage to celebrities much loved (and occasionally talked about) by the gay community. We're not claiming to know what goes on between the sheets of any celebrity* – gay, straight, out or closeted. (*Unless we've slept with them - which is none of your beeswax).
We leave prying into the private lives of famous people to the media.
We don't judge the decision to be out, or be closeted. That's a personal choice, and one that we hope is becoming easier.
If a celebrity isn't gay, but they are a gay icon – who cares? Wear it like Madonna, and be flattered by your same-sex admirers.
If a celebrity – or indeed anyone – happens to be any of the colours of the LGBTIQ rainbow, we hope they are proud of who they are, and we think it is a shame if anyone anywhere still feels being gay (or lesbian, bi, queer, trans or intersex) is something to be ashamed of.
We don't. We think being gay is, well, rather fabulous. And that's what CLOSET is all about.
many celebs are more than happy to be a gay icon and that is all this photo is being used as. to many he has become a gay icon, doesn't mean he has to actually be gay. is kylie gay? get the picture? gay icons are chosen by the gay community. they don't volunteer for it and don't get to choose.dingo Monday 25 February, 2013 - 7:56 PM
Has Thorpe raised this as an issue?Ivan@kinnane Monday 25 February, 2013 - 12:27 PM
@Mylene "Sticky taped to a pole" I didn't realise Thorpy poo had any fans in Poland.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:09 AM
Hugh Jackman was used on the previous one. Caught my attention. Great parties.Njk Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:07 AM
I saw that sticky taped to a pole on Friday and had no idea who it was. Thanks Neil for pointing it out to all your listeners. ;)mylene Monday 25 February, 2013 - 10:22 AM
One can only assume Mitchell has contacted Thorpe to confirm he wasn't compilcit in this exercise.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 9:54 AM