- Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer
- Multi-car crash on Princes Highway
- Siege at Barwon Prison
- Dramatic resuce after Port Phillip boat collision
- Clive Palmer spits the dummy
- Body found in burning car
- No costings, but Dan's the man in tight debate
- Milne welcome back at St Kilda
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
- Jester4212 on New-age helmet design Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Lynne on New-age helmet design Hi Neil,I think this is a great idea not just for riders but other road and footpath users too! All too often as a ... more
- Colin Lacivita on New-age helmet design Good Idea especially with the rego on the back.I wish I thought of it. more
- Gabriel on New-age helmet design This looks ridiculous. And that clear visor looks like it could end up lodged in your eyes. more
- Miracle Rescue on Miracle rescue for trapped man Separate trucks and cars more
- Stephen on Miracle rescue for trapped man Surprised this doesn't happen more often to be honest. BRAKING DISTANCE between vehicles is just not observed by Melbourne ... more
- jgl Melb on Balme returns to Pies How much compensation will this cost Ed ? more
- Jester4212 on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead And what about the pain the animal had to endure up until this point? more
- Sinbad on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead People collapse and die in marathons on a fairly frequent basis and we don't hear the outcry, wringing of hands, tears and ... more
- bushiepete on 78yo spends 2 hours having spasms on ... yes there were a lot of happy people who had drugs, grog,to much fun time and need to be baby sat by the police and ambos.. ... more
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
Ian Thorpe's image being used to promote gay dance party
A photo of Australian swimming legend Ian Thorpe is being used to promote a Melbourne gay dance party.
The promotional poster for the 'Closet Party' features a black and white image of Thorpe above a slogan reading 'for homosexuals and those who love them'.
*READ THE PARTY'S RESPONSE TO NEIL MITCHELL BELOW*
Neil Mitchell says the use of Thorpe's image in this context 'an absurd public insult to Ian Thorpe around his sexuality'.
Thorpe has denied being gay on a number of occasions, and has admitted to a long battle with depression in his latest book This Is Me.
David McCarthy, The President of Melbourne's Gay and Lesbian radio station Joy 94.9, told Neil the poster is making fun of a serious issue.
"They (The Promoters) don't realise the impact that this can have on young gay and lesbians that are wanting to come out.
"This sort of stuff is just a gutless attack and they are just trying to generate some publicity which unfortunately that's what they are doing. I think they should be ashamed of themselves," he said.
The poster has been circulated on social media sites and two have been displayed near on the corner of Brunswick & Leicester Streets in Fitzroy.
The promoters' facebook page also asks people to nominate their 'fav rumoured to be gay celebrity' in return for free tickets.
The event is being held at the First Floor nightclub in Fitzroy on Friday night.
IMAGE: The poster on display in Fitzroy (3AW)
CLOSET PARTY RESPONDS TO NEIL MITCHELL
CLOSET is billed as a night for homosexuals and those who love them. In other words, we create a place where people can come and enjoy themselves regardless of their sexuality – and we welcome Tom, Hugh, Oprah, Kristen, Ian, Joy FM staff and even Neil Mitchell if he feels so inclined.
Hundreds of young LGBT people in Melbourne and Sydney come to our parties, and have a great time. We're sorry if certain radio presenters aren't among them or have no sense of humour, but perhaps they should attend one of our parties before slagging them off on talkback radio.
Our posters are nothing more than a lightly tongue-in-cheek homage to celebrities much loved (and occasionally talked about) by the gay community. We're not claiming to know what goes on between the sheets of any celebrity* – gay, straight, out or closeted. (*Unless we've slept with them - which is none of your beeswax).
We leave prying into the private lives of famous people to the media.
We don't judge the decision to be out, or be closeted. That's a personal choice, and one that we hope is becoming easier.
If a celebrity isn't gay, but they are a gay icon – who cares? Wear it like Madonna, and be flattered by your same-sex admirers.
If a celebrity – or indeed anyone – happens to be any of the colours of the LGBTIQ rainbow, we hope they are proud of who they are, and we think it is a shame if anyone anywhere still feels being gay (or lesbian, bi, queer, trans or intersex) is something to be ashamed of.
We don't. We think being gay is, well, rather fabulous. And that's what CLOSET is all about.
many celebs are more than happy to be a gay icon and that is all this photo is being used as. to many he has become a gay icon, doesn't mean he has to actually be gay. is kylie gay? get the picture? gay icons are chosen by the gay community. they don't volunteer for it and don't get to choose.dingo Monday 25 February, 2013 - 7:56 PM
Has Thorpe raised this as an issue?Ivan@kinnane Monday 25 February, 2013 - 12:27 PM
@Mylene "Sticky taped to a pole" I didn't realise Thorpy poo had any fans in Poland.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:09 AM
Hugh Jackman was used on the previous one. Caught my attention. Great parties.Njk Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:07 AM
I saw that sticky taped to a pole on Friday and had no idea who it was. Thanks Neil for pointing it out to all your listeners. ;)mylene Monday 25 February, 2013 - 10:22 AM
One can only assume Mitchell has contacted Thorpe to confirm he wasn't compilcit in this exercise.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 9:54 AM