- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Ian Thorpe's image being used to promote gay dance party
A photo of Australian swimming legend Ian Thorpe is being used to promote a Melbourne gay dance party.
The promotional poster for the 'Closet Party' features a black and white image of Thorpe above a slogan reading 'for homosexuals and those who love them'.
*READ THE PARTY'S RESPONSE TO NEIL MITCHELL BELOW*
Neil Mitchell says the use of Thorpe's image in this context 'an absurd public insult to Ian Thorpe around his sexuality'.
Thorpe has denied being gay on a number of occasions, and has admitted to a long battle with depression in his latest book This Is Me.
David McCarthy, The President of Melbourne's Gay and Lesbian radio station Joy 94.9, told Neil the poster is making fun of a serious issue.
"They (The Promoters) don't realise the impact that this can have on young gay and lesbians that are wanting to come out.
"This sort of stuff is just a gutless attack and they are just trying to generate some publicity which unfortunately that's what they are doing. I think they should be ashamed of themselves," he said.
The poster has been circulated on social media sites and two have been displayed near on the corner of Brunswick & Leicester Streets in Fitzroy.
The promoters' facebook page also asks people to nominate their 'fav rumoured to be gay celebrity' in return for free tickets.
The event is being held at the First Floor nightclub in Fitzroy on Friday night.
IMAGE: The poster on display in Fitzroy (3AW)
CLOSET PARTY RESPONDS TO NEIL MITCHELL
CLOSET is billed as a night for homosexuals and those who love them. In other words, we create a place where people can come and enjoy themselves regardless of their sexuality – and we welcome Tom, Hugh, Oprah, Kristen, Ian, Joy FM staff and even Neil Mitchell if he feels so inclined.
Hundreds of young LGBT people in Melbourne and Sydney come to our parties, and have a great time. We're sorry if certain radio presenters aren't among them or have no sense of humour, but perhaps they should attend one of our parties before slagging them off on talkback radio.
Our posters are nothing more than a lightly tongue-in-cheek homage to celebrities much loved (and occasionally talked about) by the gay community. We're not claiming to know what goes on between the sheets of any celebrity* – gay, straight, out or closeted. (*Unless we've slept with them - which is none of your beeswax).
We leave prying into the private lives of famous people to the media.
We don't judge the decision to be out, or be closeted. That's a personal choice, and one that we hope is becoming easier.
If a celebrity isn't gay, but they are a gay icon – who cares? Wear it like Madonna, and be flattered by your same-sex admirers.
If a celebrity – or indeed anyone – happens to be any of the colours of the LGBTIQ rainbow, we hope they are proud of who they are, and we think it is a shame if anyone anywhere still feels being gay (or lesbian, bi, queer, trans or intersex) is something to be ashamed of.
We don't. We think being gay is, well, rather fabulous. And that's what CLOSET is all about.
many celebs are more than happy to be a gay icon and that is all this photo is being used as. to many he has become a gay icon, doesn't mean he has to actually be gay. is kylie gay? get the picture? gay icons are chosen by the gay community. they don't volunteer for it and don't get to choose.dingo Monday 25 February, 2013 - 7:56 PM
Has Thorpe raised this as an issue?Ivan@kinnane Monday 25 February, 2013 - 12:27 PM
@Mylene "Sticky taped to a pole" I didn't realise Thorpy poo had any fans in Poland.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:09 AM
Hugh Jackman was used on the previous one. Caught my attention. Great parties.Njk Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:07 AM
I saw that sticky taped to a pole on Friday and had no idea who it was. Thanks Neil for pointing it out to all your listeners. ;)mylene Monday 25 February, 2013 - 10:22 AM
One can only assume Mitchell has contacted Thorpe to confirm he wasn't compilcit in this exercise.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 9:54 AM