- ASADA's joint investigation was 'lawful'
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on ASADA's joint investigation was 'lawful' About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on ASADA's joint investigation was 'lawful' Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on ASADA's joint investigation was 'lawful' I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on ASADA's joint investigation was 'lawful' Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
Is James Magnussen's age really an excuse?
As part of the ongoing review of our Swimming squad’s performance at the London Games, 100m freestyle silver medal winner James Magnussen has attempted to explain away his poor behaviour by stating that at the age of just 21 he was too young and inexperienced to really know what he was doing.
Now while 21 is undoubtedly young, is it ok for someone who is legally an adult to abrogate himself of responsibility for a series of silly acts which seems to have brought the reputation of his sport into disrepute?
And more broadly, should Magnussen’s statement cause us to rethink the age at which a youth eventually becomes an adult?
Remember that at age 18 in this country, a person suddenly becomes entitled to drink, vote, drive and serve in the armed forces (hopefully not in that order). They can also get married, have kids, take out a mortgage, serve as a director, and so on – in short, they are handled all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult.
Yet 18 to perhaps 22 or 23-year-olds are also capable of many stupid, childlike acts. They’re more likely to crash cars, take drugs and engage in other forms of risky behaviour that make it amazing enough to survive into adulthood to keep the human race going.
So should we extend adolescence beyond 18 to as late as, say, 24 or 25? Perhaps stagger the onset of adulthood over a few years so that the James Magnussens of this world have a bit more time to get used to the responsibilities that accompany the various rights? At the very least, separating the ages at which a person can legally drink and obtain their licence would seem to make a great deal of sense…
He's been to the Nick Darcy school of slippery moves and lame excuses...another weak- livered member of the swimming team propped up for a second/third chance by the team officials. That pool water must slowly seep into all their brains and flood their common sense triggers!Cathy Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 11:34 PM
Magnussen is an arrogant, irresponsible jerk clutching at straws to justify his behaviour. As he is never likely to grow-up, I would suggest he be permanently excluded from all future representation.Jake Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 5:07 PM
You don't see Olympic gymnasts act this way and they are usually the youngest atletes of the Olympics, especially the women. Age is just an excuse. Michael Phelps was 15 in his first Olympic games and 19 in his first Olympic games where he medaled. He didn't behave like this.Carrie Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 11:00 AM
I THINK ITS ABOUT TIME PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE RESPONSIBLE AND ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.
AM SURE THE SWIMMERS TOOK ALL THE CASH ETC THAT ARE GIVEN TO THEMchris watts Monday 25 February, 2013 - 5:02 PM
This is a typical narcissistic mindset;Anything that I "may" happen to do wrong will always be the fault of some outside agency.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 3:57 PM