- One person trapped after army base tank collision
- Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges
- Essendon footballer in hospital after alleged stabbing
- Top five Melbourne cycling danger spots revealed
- Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing dog amongst rubble
- Tornado death toll revised to 24, including nine children
- Elderly woman critical after home invasion stabbing
- Noble Park violent hit-run incident: Array of charges laid
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
- mandy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The parents need to have a go at whoever sent it and why and JAMES it was the NRL it has nothing to do with channel 9 Melb ... more
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
Is James Magnussen's age really an excuse?
As part of the ongoing review of our Swimming squad’s performance at the London Games, 100m freestyle silver medal winner James Magnussen has attempted to explain away his poor behaviour by stating that at the age of just 21 he was too young and inexperienced to really know what he was doing.
Now while 21 is undoubtedly young, is it ok for someone who is legally an adult to abrogate himself of responsibility for a series of silly acts which seems to have brought the reputation of his sport into disrepute?
And more broadly, should Magnussen’s statement cause us to rethink the age at which a youth eventually becomes an adult?
Remember that at age 18 in this country, a person suddenly becomes entitled to drink, vote, drive and serve in the armed forces (hopefully not in that order). They can also get married, have kids, take out a mortgage, serve as a director, and so on – in short, they are handled all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult.
Yet 18 to perhaps 22 or 23-year-olds are also capable of many stupid, childlike acts. They’re more likely to crash cars, take drugs and engage in other forms of risky behaviour that make it amazing enough to survive into adulthood to keep the human race going.
So should we extend adolescence beyond 18 to as late as, say, 24 or 25? Perhaps stagger the onset of adulthood over a few years so that the James Magnussens of this world have a bit more time to get used to the responsibilities that accompany the various rights? At the very least, separating the ages at which a person can legally drink and obtain their licence would seem to make a great deal of sense…
He's been to the Nick Darcy school of slippery moves and lame excuses...another weak- livered member of the swimming team propped up for a second/third chance by the team officials. That pool water must slowly seep into all their brains and flood their common sense triggers!Cathy Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 11:34 PM
Magnussen is an arrogant, irresponsible jerk clutching at straws to justify his behaviour. As he is never likely to grow-up, I would suggest he be permanently excluded from all future representation.Jake Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 5:07 PM
You don't see Olympic gymnasts act this way and they are usually the youngest atletes of the Olympics, especially the women. Age is just an excuse. Michael Phelps was 15 in his first Olympic games and 19 in his first Olympic games where he medaled. He didn't behave like this.Carrie Tuesday 26 February, 2013 - 11:00 AM
I THINK ITS ABOUT TIME PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE RESPONSIBLE AND ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.
AM SURE THE SWIMMERS TOOK ALL THE CASH ETC THAT ARE GIVEN TO THEMchris watts Monday 25 February, 2013 - 5:02 PM
This is a typical narcissistic mindset;Anything that I "may" happen to do wrong will always be the fault of some outside agency.jgl Melb Monday 25 February, 2013 - 3:57 PM