- GWS joins gay marriage debate
- Smoking cops 'not a good look'
- Sly's Policeman of the year award
- Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop wife moving
- The most powerful selfie ever?
- Bung case not limited to one man: Lay
- Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry assistance
- Concerns for missing 14-year-old
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- 3am drunken cops on Sly's Policeman of the year award Provocation is no defence in Vic, but cheap drinks at the police club is the square up.Computers can only give you so much ... more
- Peggy on Preston road rage caught on camera But Neil, the ute is registered and it still happened. Isn't paying rego meant to stop this from happening?Bill from ... more
- PH on Smoking cops 'not a good look' I think you mean discreet (secretive) rather than discrete (separate).Let's hope they used an ashtray and didn't illegally ... more
- GIW on GWS joins gay marriage debate I wonder if ALL the players are in accord with this and will they display a rainbow logo on their jumpers? more
- David R on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Is smoking Illegal? No. Then what does it matter? more
- Steve on Sly's Policeman of the year award Must be a mate of slys>.. more
- Steve on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... All manufacturing in this country is on shaky ground because of union demands for high wages who's next to fold up?? more
- C. McDonald on Having issues streaming 3AW? I moved to Daylesford and cannot get 3AW although driving along the Calder to bendigo and then Echuca in my car I can get AW ... more
- Maureen on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... The unions don't get it. They are the reason that manufacturing is doomed in Australia. That, and years of a useless Labor ... more
- Jake on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Lay has presided over the new image of black-shirt gestapo police, so who cares about the smoking. more
- Pradman on Murder suspect in dispute over plaster ... He should have got a job with Mick Gatto; easier than plastering. more
- Give Up on Having issues streaming 3AW? I can't listen or watch 3AW any more - so sad. Will have to stick to the odd hour or two in the car. more
- Pradman on Video: Shark in Port Phillip Bay? There are plenty of bronze whalers seen in the bay every year from Rye to the heads. They clean up the dead seal carcasses. more
- Wayne on Preston road rage caught on camera This footage clearly shows the suction cup of a window mount for the phone so this recording is no more illegal than someone ... more
- nik on Preston road rage caught on camera I'm amazed the pic wasn't photoshopped and the use replaced with a bike! more
- bc on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... ask mud guts hockey to take a pay cut not on your life buddy neil ask hockey how much is it costing the tax payers flying ... more
- double standards for coppers on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Former Victoria Police detective Charlie Bezzina, who has(had) 38 years experience in force, says sometimes internal police ... more
- wayne on Having issues streaming 3AW? I listen to the ABC because I still cant get any Fairfax Stations at all and the computer is two years old FIX IT more
- bigmoralcopper on Man launches petition to reel in ... Perhaps if this Steve, who by his own admission was employed for over thirty years constant,was made to follow the ... more
- oh dear on GWS joins gay marriage debate what will Gay Western Sydney do next? support climate change legislation and asylum seekers? more
Ita Buttrose: 'Tony Abbott is not a misogynist'
Ita Buttrose says there are no obvious perks being Australian of the Year, but the honour makes it all worth it.
Speaking with 3AW's Justin Smith, the accomplished journalist and businesswoman said she nearly fell off the stage when Prime Minister Gillard announced the winner last week.
"I see Australian of the Year as a recognition of the work I've done in the community but I also think it provides a platform to talk about things that I think are of concern to other Australians," Buttrose said.
Buttrose has been a long-standing champion of issues relating to aging, particularly dementia. She told Justin she will use her title to campaign for dementia awareness.
"Given the rapidly-increasing caseload of dementia cases, I think we should all invest more time and money into the last 'medical barrier', the brain.
"I remember one woman, a former school teacher who was suffering from the disease; she told me she feels diminished as a person and diminished as a Mother to her two children.
"That moment has always remained in my mind because they were some of the saddest words I've ever heard in my life."
Meanwhile, Buttrose finds herself at odds with the Prime Minister after telling Smith she disagrees with Gillard's views on Opposition leader Tony Abbott.
She says she's worked with Tony Abbott and he is not a misogynist.
Ms Buttrose says many Australian men do have an issue with women, but Tony Abbott is not one of them.
Listen to Ita's interview with Justin below.
PLAY: Ita Buttrose with Justin Smith
Why , Ita should address the poly! By letting them deal with what is important! To the average Australian people! Not on personality poly! Working for the rich!!!!! Cheers ItaPaul boncristiano Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 6:22 PM
Climate change happens ??but no need for a carbon "TAX". It hits everybody.???IAN Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 12:07 PM
I'm relieved that Ita received the award she has worked hard but Jessica Mauboy that must be a mistake surely.mandy Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 9:51 AM
It seems to me the Australian of the year award has become quite frivolous in its choices how on earth does Jessica Mauboy become a finalist for Australian of the year?mandy Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 9:42 AM
Most media support the Conservative Paty, nee Liberal Party, so it's not surprising her remarks are at odds with the Prime Minister's.MELIGIBruce Rogersw Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 9:01 AM
Well done Ita. Your work is amazing. Sorry but Tony has no idea about a lot of things that are important to Australians. His climate change views are so weak, that he is no leader in my eyes.Jen Gottlieb Monday 28 January, 2013 - 8:30 PM