- 3AW fast-tracks historic Ashes coverage
- 'Livelihood' stolen while family slept
- Two murdered with kids in the house
- One killed in South Yarra apartment fire
- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mandy on Two murdered with kids in the house Nobody knows whether these people were innocent until its been investigated Kath and the article never mentioned what you ... more
- Kath on Two murdered with kids in the house Oh my God. Please tell me you did not put "domestic violence" in inverted commas when talking about the slaughter of two ... more
- marcel on Sign of the times? its common in Box Hill and Glen Waverley to see real estate agents advertising properties in Mandarin(chinese). My mother ... more
- Janet P on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What a disgusting low life. more
- Fat Controller on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Come on people itâ??s been around long enough by now I would have thought the constant whining would have subsided by now. ... more
- Roger on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Stupid system. I used my Myki the other day and noticed it had expired a month before (just after I previously used it)No ... more
- Sonya on Myki confusion forces closure of ... What I dont understand is why Myki passes expire? and why the complicated process of transferring credit from the old pass ... more
- Big Al on Myki confusion forces closure of ... This is like a really bad marriage. How long do you hang onto the disaster? At what point do you let go? I would suggest the ... more
- Joseph Logan on Two murdered with kids in the house I am just wondering if a FamIly Law Court decision had anything to do with this this " domestic violence"? Like, one man ... more
- john_at on Having issues streaming 3AW? www.australianliveradio.com provides a trouble-free steam of 3AW using Windows Media Player more
- Solomons' Sword on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Was it $100K 'dead' or alive, or is this just a bleating somebody trying to evade justice yet again?Knowing our 'justice' ... more
- Gary on Myki confusion forces closure of ... MYKI was always a job for the boys and a way to milk the system for mates. When once I raised a question about long lunches ... more
- Auto Repair Tempe on Holden recalls 50,000 imported cars Driving holden barina is really amazing if we don't find any technical problem. I have bought 2009 holden barina since long ... more
- Peggy on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene.How long do we have to put up with you?A truly great man has died. Many could learn from him. more
- It's So Simple on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just cut your losses now. Re-instate conductors and staff at every station. Install cameras for extra security. I am 120% ... more
- Joyfull on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Sadly, he will probably be treated quite well here in our jail. This country looks after criminals far better than our own ... more
- Rod on Myki confusion forces closure of ... My car had to be serviced so was forced onto public transport. Had a charged Myki ticket in my wallet which was purchased at ... more
- Gazza on Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage ... 6 years what a sick joke...... more
- nik on Myki confusion forces closure of ... MET CARD was the best go JEFF KENNET Neil pressure the state government to make myki take daily tickets more
- Keith A Tudor on Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage ... I trust this mongrel dog gets floggings in gaol! However, he will probably be a "protected animal' in there - sadly. more
'James Hird must go'
Here is my plan to save football, because it is now that serious.
1. James Hird must be sacked. Suspended at the very least.
2. Essendon must be pulled out of the league. Now. Forget the game against Carlton this weekend
3. The AFL must do whatever it takes to sort this out by the end of the year. Impose whatever penalties it wishes, given Essendon will have already missed the finals, and get on with it.
I know Essendon supporters will scream, but I’d just ask you to do something.
Have a look at the horrendous list of drugs and supplements that have allegedly been used.
READ: The key allegations
1500 injections of a banned drug, 16,5000 doses of Colostrum, 8000 doses of a herbal extract, the list goes on.
Look at that list and then consider this: If you had a 17- or 18-year-old child trying to make it in football and he had been injected by somebody with something with unknown effects, how would you feel?
How would you feel if your child had been taken by the people supposedly caring for him, and pumped full of something that he doesn’t know and they don’t really understand?
Essendon has disgraced football here. A letter from their own club doctor proves it and the AFL players association confirms it.
There is little doubt of guilt somewhere here, despite the denials.
Who and the extent of the guilt needs to be properly determined, but it is common practice to stand people down when there is significant doubt around them.
Hird is the head of football, so while Essendon faces drug charges he should be stood down and the club must be suspended at once.
Why? Because there remains significant doubt about what effect all this chemical junk had on the players. And that means that anything they do is under question and grey clouds.
For the sake of decency, my three point plan is the best answer.
Sort it out by Christmas.
Sadly, James Hird stands condemned in this.
He looks selfish and appears to be protecting himself.
He is not the most important thing in this.
His players are - the kids and the families that trusted the club.
Hird is said to have injected himself and suffered side effects.
That shows a mindset.
But he is senior enough to make the decision. The kids who played for him effectively did what they were told.
Who was looking after them?
Hird just doesn’t get it.
Yes, he was a great player, but he is exposed as selfish.
The club doesn’t seem to get it either.
In January last year the club doctor Bruce Reid rang the alarm bells in his letter to the club.
That letter was released by the afl yesterday
Bruce Reid is said by Hird and everybody at the club to be decent, concerned above question and a medical saint.
They say they love him.
And yet, when he said he had fundamental problems being club doctor, they ignored him.
So is there a better indication of the state of the affair than this?
Hird thought he was frustrating him and they went on with it, treating the kids – the players – in exactly that way.
That is disgraceful behaviour, and the flapping of Hird in self-defence doesn’t change it.
Too many sportsmen think their superb sports abilities put them above the rules and above accountability.
As a player, Hird had superb skills, but he must be accountable. This is more important than sport.
It is about accountability, responsibility and a duty of care to kids who will do what they are told.
It is sickening stuff.
@Hird is innocent, admire your allegiance but Hird is most definately not putting his fans first nor did he put his players first. He, along with others involved should have resigned long ago (do feel sorry for Doc Reid 'tho). The uproar from other teams and their fans will be heard around the world if Essendon are allowed to play in the finals, imagine the nightmare if they, through their cheating, happened to win the GF, would ruin the AFL Brand irreparably.Gloria Friday 23 August, 2013 - 12:11 PM
Essendon should be punished just like Carlton was 15 years at the bottom of the ladder, I would feel as sorry for them as people do for Carlton, constantly being labeled "cheats". What Carlton did effected no person just the integraty of the game, Essendon are playing with peoples lives.Nat Friday 23 August, 2013 - 10:34 AM
Shut up Neil, you've become a bore. Sprouting from your ivory tower, whipping up a storm - it's not helpful. The allegations will be resolved, hopefully fairly to all parties.Christine Friday 23 August, 2013 - 9:16 AM
The Bombers jet is falling to earth in a thud,yet the Pilot has hit the eject seat with a parachute.."It's all about me" the rest of you can go down ...Oh sorry now hang on.. I thought the Captain went down with the Titanic..James no matter how you read it ..show some class and admit your faults..oh no he can't do that someone may lose his business empire and reputation!! So let's drag this saga on so I can escape my responsibilities...Well..it all comes out in the wash your holding the whole game to random to protect yourself..A Fall from Grace !Grant Friday 23 August, 2013 - 8:41 AM
Wow, thousands of women and children are being gassed and killed in Syria and melbourne's media can only focus on overpaid footballers. Come on, the world is standing by like they did with Rwanda and letting this happen. Quite frankly, I couldn't give two hoots about essendon and James Hird.Jane Friday 23 August, 2013 - 8:23 AM
I agree withn Neil's 3 points, other that that Hird should willing go immediately. If Hird really has Essendon's best interests at heart he should resign.
His actions, driven by his own ego, are hurting both AFL and the club. Unfortunately Hird with his born-to-rule mindset is hell-bent on destroying both the club and the code that gave him everything. Unfortunately, he will now be remembered not as a great football player, but as a contemptuous cheat.
Hird disgusts me.Jake Friday 23 August, 2013 - 5:46 AM