- Rumour File: AFL faces legal fight with union and Record reporters
- Aussie MH17 investigators in the line of fire
- Breakfast in Glasgow: Ross and John's day of food
- Abbott softens talk on Russia
- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Jill Meagher crime scene photo shown to public
Jill Meagher's parents have told a senior homicide detective they have no problem with one of her crime scene photos being used in a public presentation.
Police Association secretary Greg Davies said Victoria Police issued an apology without talking to Detective Sen-Sgt Ron Iddles, who used the photo of the semi-naked body of Ms Meagher while addressing a fundraiser in Bendigo.
Mr Davies says Det. Sen-Sgt Iddles called Ms Meagher's family yesterday to personally apologise, but was told it was unnecessary.
WATCH: Greg Davies defends Ron Iddles
“The bigger issue is violence against women and the murder of women,” Mr Davies told Neil Mitchell.
“Once it was put in context to them and once they had spoken to Ron, unlike most other people involved in this, they were quite satisfied with what he’s done and were encouraging of his efforts to try and make a difference.”
Detective Sen-Sgt Rod Iddles was speaking at a Prostate Cancer Foundation fundraiser in Bendigo last Friday when the photograph of Ms Meagher was shown on a large screen.
The Herald Sun claims the image, taken during the investigation into the rape and murder of Ms Meagher, left many in the 400-strong crowd distressed.
Victoria Police has banned public presentations until new protocols are developed.
AUDIO SLIDESHOW: Remembering Jill, one year on
FULL STATEMENT FROM ACTING DEP. COMMISSIONER STEPHEN FONTANA
This was an unfortunate error of judgement and my sincere apologies are extended to Jill's family, friends, the community, and in particular, to her husband Tom.
With immediate effect, Victoria Police has banned all further public presentations on operational matters until some appropriate protocols have been developed.
Snr Sgt Ron Iddles has been one of Victoria Police's most dedicated and hard working detectives for more than 30 years.
Few wearing the uniform have been more committed and loyal in their service of the community.
I am saddened that a speech he delivered in good faith - at a charity fundraiser - will have caused further emotional anguish for the family.
There is an obsession from the media to talk about this crime perhaps because she was working in the media about time she was allowed to rest in peace, murder crimes against other women haven't received the same hype>!Steve Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 4:26 PM
You can always tell when Neil's having a slow news days. He harps & harps on "stuff".Trish Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 7:47 AM
I'm sick of hearing about Jill Meagher as if she is the only female this has happened too. MOVE ON!yeh Friday 29 November, 2013 - 2:38 PM
Had to laugh, apparently the Herald Sun having realised that absolutely no one is offended, has now dragged out the mother-in-law! Give it a rest Herald Sun, NO ONE IS OFFENDED EXCEPT YOU AND NEIL MITCHELL!Linda Friday 29 November, 2013 - 1:35 PM
It has occurred to me that if Sgt Iddles was doing the wrong thing by showing a photo of a victim of a crime to help build community awareness of the need to speak up, then the TAC & Vic Police, SES et al must also be doing the wrong thing with graphic images of motor vehicle accidents & victims and putting wrecked cars in the middle of the city. Surely this is exactly the same thing.Graham Friday 29 November, 2013 - 11:35 AM
Dead bodies were shown at the Walkley Awards presentation last night and broadcast on the ABC. Havent heard any outrage about that?Ron Friday 29 November, 2013 - 10:46 AM