- Mystery surrounds tip death
- Drug cartel sets up shop in Australia
- Police investigate woman's death
- Bombers battered in court
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on Bombers battered in court About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on Bombers battered in court Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on Bombers battered in court I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on Bombers battered in court Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
Jill Meagher crime scene photo shown to public
Jill Meagher's parents have told a senior homicide detective they have no problem with one of her crime scene photos being used in a public presentation.
Police Association secretary Greg Davies said Victoria Police issued an apology without talking to Detective Sen-Sgt Ron Iddles, who used the photo of the semi-naked body of Ms Meagher while addressing a fundraiser in Bendigo.
Mr Davies says Det. Sen-Sgt Iddles called Ms Meagher's family yesterday to personally apologise, but was told it was unnecessary.
WATCH: Greg Davies defends Ron Iddles
“The bigger issue is violence against women and the murder of women,” Mr Davies told Neil Mitchell.
“Once it was put in context to them and once they had spoken to Ron, unlike most other people involved in this, they were quite satisfied with what he’s done and were encouraging of his efforts to try and make a difference.”
Detective Sen-Sgt Rod Iddles was speaking at a Prostate Cancer Foundation fundraiser in Bendigo last Friday when the photograph of Ms Meagher was shown on a large screen.
The Herald Sun claims the image, taken during the investigation into the rape and murder of Ms Meagher, left many in the 400-strong crowd distressed.
Victoria Police has banned public presentations until new protocols are developed.
AUDIO SLIDESHOW: Remembering Jill, one year on
FULL STATEMENT FROM ACTING DEP. COMMISSIONER STEPHEN FONTANA
This was an unfortunate error of judgement and my sincere apologies are extended to Jill's family, friends, the community, and in particular, to her husband Tom.
With immediate effect, Victoria Police has banned all further public presentations on operational matters until some appropriate protocols have been developed.
Snr Sgt Ron Iddles has been one of Victoria Police's most dedicated and hard working detectives for more than 30 years.
Few wearing the uniform have been more committed and loyal in their service of the community.
I am saddened that a speech he delivered in good faith - at a charity fundraiser - will have caused further emotional anguish for the family.
There is an obsession from the media to talk about this crime perhaps because she was working in the media about time she was allowed to rest in peace, murder crimes against other women haven't received the same hype>!Steve Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 4:26 PM
You can always tell when Neil's having a slow news days. He harps & harps on "stuff".Trish Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 7:47 AM
I'm sick of hearing about Jill Meagher as if she is the only female this has happened too. MOVE ON!yeh Friday 29 November, 2013 - 2:38 PM
Had to laugh, apparently the Herald Sun having realised that absolutely no one is offended, has now dragged out the mother-in-law! Give it a rest Herald Sun, NO ONE IS OFFENDED EXCEPT YOU AND NEIL MITCHELL!Linda Friday 29 November, 2013 - 1:35 PM
It has occurred to me that if Sgt Iddles was doing the wrong thing by showing a photo of a victim of a crime to help build community awareness of the need to speak up, then the TAC & Vic Police, SES et al must also be doing the wrong thing with graphic images of motor vehicle accidents & victims and putting wrecked cars in the middle of the city. Surely this is exactly the same thing.Graham Friday 29 November, 2013 - 11:35 AM
Dead bodies were shown at the Walkley Awards presentation last night and broadcast on the ABC. Havent heard any outrage about that?Ron Friday 29 November, 2013 - 10:46 AM