- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
Jill Meagher crime scene photo shown to public
Jill Meagher's parents have told a senior homicide detective they have no problem with one of her crime scene photos being used in a public presentation.
Police Association secretary Greg Davies said Victoria Police issued an apology without talking to Detective Sen-Sgt Ron Iddles, who used the photo of the semi-naked body of Ms Meagher while addressing a fundraiser in Bendigo.
Mr Davies says Det. Sen-Sgt Iddles called Ms Meagher's family yesterday to personally apologise, but was told it was unnecessary.
WATCH: Greg Davies defends Ron Iddles
“The bigger issue is violence against women and the murder of women,” Mr Davies told Neil Mitchell.
“Once it was put in context to them and once they had spoken to Ron, unlike most other people involved in this, they were quite satisfied with what he’s done and were encouraging of his efforts to try and make a difference.”
Detective Sen-Sgt Rod Iddles was speaking at a Prostate Cancer Foundation fundraiser in Bendigo last Friday when the photograph of Ms Meagher was shown on a large screen.
The Herald Sun claims the image, taken during the investigation into the rape and murder of Ms Meagher, left many in the 400-strong crowd distressed.
Victoria Police has banned public presentations until new protocols are developed.
AUDIO SLIDESHOW: Remembering Jill, one year on
FULL STATEMENT FROM ACTING DEP. COMMISSIONER STEPHEN FONTANA
This was an unfortunate error of judgement and my sincere apologies are extended to Jill's family, friends, the community, and in particular, to her husband Tom.
With immediate effect, Victoria Police has banned all further public presentations on operational matters until some appropriate protocols have been developed.
Snr Sgt Ron Iddles has been one of Victoria Police's most dedicated and hard working detectives for more than 30 years.
Few wearing the uniform have been more committed and loyal in their service of the community.
I am saddened that a speech he delivered in good faith - at a charity fundraiser - will have caused further emotional anguish for the family.
There is an obsession from the media to talk about this crime perhaps because she was working in the media about time she was allowed to rest in peace, murder crimes against other women haven't received the same hype>!Steve Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 4:26 PM
You can always tell when Neil's having a slow news days. He harps & harps on "stuff".Trish Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 7:47 AM
I'm sick of hearing about Jill Meagher as if she is the only female this has happened too. MOVE ON!yeh Friday 29 November, 2013 - 2:38 PM
Had to laugh, apparently the Herald Sun having realised that absolutely no one is offended, has now dragged out the mother-in-law! Give it a rest Herald Sun, NO ONE IS OFFENDED EXCEPT YOU AND NEIL MITCHELL!Linda Friday 29 November, 2013 - 1:35 PM
It has occurred to me that if Sgt Iddles was doing the wrong thing by showing a photo of a victim of a crime to help build community awareness of the need to speak up, then the TAC & Vic Police, SES et al must also be doing the wrong thing with graphic images of motor vehicle accidents & victims and putting wrecked cars in the middle of the city. Surely this is exactly the same thing.Graham Friday 29 November, 2013 - 11:35 AM
Dead bodies were shown at the Walkley Awards presentation last night and broadcast on the ABC. Havent heard any outrage about that?Ron Friday 29 November, 2013 - 10:46 AM