- 'Thrill killer' Hemming jailed
- Homegrown terror risks by numbers
- Man arrested after police chase
- Three dead in fatal 'neighbourhood dispute'
- Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues
- Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince Engineering to sack 100 workers
- 'Violence, unsafe sex and drugs'
- Why Rosie Batty erupted
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
- david lucas on Man arrested after police chase Dont the police have road spikes? This has gone too long putting many people in small town and on the road at risk more
- MskK on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues You surely have to ask what all these attacks have as a common denominator.... That would be Islam! more
- PJ on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Its time we faced facts. Australians subsidise Renewable Energy to the tune of $21 Billion now just so its electricity can ... more
- GIW on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues mylene, your comments are just so unbelievable. Get your Labor/Socialist brain into a right mind and say something sensible, ... more
- David on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Why do they blame the government? Seems to me that they're just using it as an excuse to reduce staff to make more money more
- PJ on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Morning Neil, I listen with shock at the interview with that Professor.1. tax payer funded job programmes 2. more free ... more
- Peggy on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues I say, let the Jihadists go and hopefully they won't come back for whatever reson but change laws so that they can't come ... more
- Peggy on Why Rosie Batty erupted Someone failed this little boy that's for sure and this is what this is all about.Everyone must answer all questions ... more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted @ Heather, the police are not stupid. My husband has dealt with hundreds of court orders over his career. The problem is ... more
- GIW on Why Rosie Batty erupted I agree with you @Damo and like you was not game enough to say anything. I was asking that same question from the beginning. more
- mylene on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues More people are going to get killed in Australia in domestic incidents and disputes with neighbours than terrorism. You ... more
- Ben on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues This is one reason why security should be tight at government premises and that includes a ban on wearing the burka in ... more
- Pradman on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Meanwhile all burqa wearers are welcome in Canberra. more
- Heather on Why Rosie Batty erupted I feel for Rosie Batty ' s loss of her son Luke. It seems the Andersons actions are attributed to MI when it should be ... more
- Factsseeker on Why Rosie Batty erupted What is the matter with our conservative media. There was a child killed here ! The coronial inquiry is being held to try ... more
- Damo on Why Rosie Batty erupted I know i will cop it for saying this but my understanding of this is: Rosie got a intervention order against her husband. ... more
- IBARKER on Why Rosie Batty erupted This one reason why she should not enter Politics. more
John-Michael Howson taunts Julian Assange's Mum with Nazi slogan
3AW management has suspended John-Michael Howson from broadcasting for four weeks after he chanted a Nazi slogan at Julian Assange’s mother during the Sunday Morning program.
“We’ve told him in no uncertain terms that it was completely unacceptable behaviour and we don’t condone it in any way,” 3AW General Manager Shane Healy said.
Mr Howson has accepted the sanction and issued this apology:
"Yesterday on the Sunday Morning program we discussed the matter of Julian Assange and his decision to seek sanctuary in the embassy of Ecuador in London."
"During that discussion I made offensive comments by citing the Nazi salute.
"I unreservedly apologise for saying what I said.
"I understand that many listeners took offence to these comments and I sincerely regret having uttered them.
"I did not intend to imply that our guests or anyone shares the views of the Nazi party or seeks to control free speech.
"And I again offer my sincere apologies."
SUNDAY: 3AW Sunday Morning contributor John-Michael Howson embroiled himself in controversy yesterday when he used a Nazi slogan after Julian Assange's Mother backed out of an interview.
Christine Assange was waiting on hold while Darren James, Nick McCallum and Howson interviewed Sam Castro from the Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance regarding Ecuador's decision to grant political asylum to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
Howson called Castro a hypocrite for supporting Assange's decision to seek political asylum in Ecuador, a country Howson claims has a 'poor' human rights record.
"You people are so full of it, you make me want to spew up," Howson said.
"You support free speech yet you're going on about a country that restricts free speech," he added.
Christine Assange was put to air after Castro's interview concluded and she immediately condemned John-Michael Howson's treatment of the previous guest.
"I won't be doing an interview with you because you're acting like a pig,'' Ms Assange said.
Howson responded by screaming on air: "Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!''
Ms Assange then hung up the phone.
Howson claims he was censored by Ms. Assange because she denied him the chance to state his opinion:
"These people just want to come on air and give us their propaganda and they don't want any tough questions."
Callers were polarised on the appropriateness of his outburst, and Nick McCallum referred to John-Michael Howson as an 'equal opportunity abuser.'
LISTEN: John-Michael Howson's exchange with Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance spokesperson Sam Castro and Assange's Mother, Christine Assange
John-Michael Howson is a writer of hit stage musicals, an author, journalist and commentator who covered the international film scene for 25 years interviewing scores of top names, including those who rarely consent to interviews.
Howson is a frustrated right wing old queen. His only claim to fame is the Victor Venture ads and The Magic Circle Club. Send him back to America.M Thursday 6 September, 2012 - 12:30 AM
I have just found out that Clown from the early 70's is a shock jock in Melbourne. That is so funny. Surely he can't be taken seriously?David Thursday 30 August, 2012 - 12:34 PM
John Michael Howson is a show-pony who can dance badly and sounds like a fool. He is definitely not a person that anyone should refer to on international political debate relating to free-speech or anything intellectual. He is an old fart with a chip on his shoulder. Retire and hand your microphone over to someone with ethics and an a decent education.Leonie Tuesday 28 August, 2012 - 9:36 PM
Chris. Thats because EVERY time a green opens their mouth it,s OFFENSIVE !Darrell Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 3:44 PM
@Ursula, you obviously listen to Howson with a prejudiced mind, he IS a bombastic, self opiniated, rude and overbearing commentator who talks over his co-hosts and abuses everyone who does not agree with him. He gives no added value to Sunday Morning and I for one will boycott Sunday Morning when/if he is brought back.GIW Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 11:03 AM
Shame shame shame on 3aw, Mitchell and Hinch. John Michael is a level headed honest and wise gentleman. I won't turn on 3aw until he returnes. Who cares about Julian Assard anyway...he is a traitor and a coward. His mother isn't up to a decent debate with a person of John Michael's intellect.
Bring him Bach we love and miss him.Ursula Tuesday 21 August, 2012 - 6:46 PM