- Bureaucratic stonewall no block for new Richmond icon
- '59 Penfolds Grange reviewed
- Man fronts court over fatal stabbing
- 'I hope you get smashed by the karma bus'
- Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM Abbott and Liberal friends on-side
- AC/DC's Malcolm Young 'seriously unwell'
- Melbourne treated to pink lunar eclipse
- Kindergarten pets mutilated
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Greg on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... About time some Politician has been caught out at a Royal Commission or Inquiry,all they ever say is I don't remember or ... more
- Lukew on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... So you can waste billions of dollars of tax payers money mis-managing just about everything - federal and state - and be ... more
- Gazza on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Standard liberal behaviour more
- boofa on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... PIGS, TROUGH , SNOUT.Lets cover this one up Tony. more
- Sir Matt of the 1950's on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Lucky Mitchell & little Tommy Elliott are on holidays(again, more holidays than teachers & construction workers they harp on ... more
- Lisa on Commonwealth Bank customers can't ... Australia Post can't take ANY credit cards, because their Eftpos is with Commonwealth. So... People trying to lodge mail ... more
- Milton on Surprise, surprise: Petrol price pain ... It hit $1.71 cents per Litre yesterday in Sydney. So wait for it. more
- Gazza on New way to snap naughty drivers Robert hills comment say it all"we know motorists are quick to put their phone down and put their seatbelt on when they see ... more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Are you blocking all comments about Clive or just the positive ones? more
- Dame Mylene on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Clive Palmer's now the unofficial Prime Minister of Australia. Fun times ahead, Mr Abbott. more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Neil: At least Clive knows how to build businesses and not tear them down. more
- Hooksy from the Country on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Buffoon - pot, kettle, black ...... more
- Mark on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... It would be worse if there were 4 more green loonies. more
- Garry on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Both the Labour and Liberal parties seem hell bent on making themselves unappealing many voters are looking for an ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'One of the biggest law and order ... The only way they'll have a Royal Commission is if they can blame Labor. Otherwise it's not going to happen :p more
- Kristy on Youths charged over Newport crime spree Bloody thugs, blame the pathetic laws for this one too as they know nothing will happen not even a slap on the wrist!! more
- Matt on Youths charged over Newport crime spree So glad I live in Singapore where these criminals would be caught, publicly shamed, caned & jailed. In Melbourne they wont ... more
- Sinbad on 'They've got to do something' Of course, it's also Napthine's fault that he got his head kicked in in the first place ! Now you've got to ask yourself why ... more
- Kevin on 'They've got to do something' Napthine government = fail more
- Ken of Euroa on 'They've got to do something' If he had a fractured neck he wouldn't be standing up more
John-Michael Howson taunts Julian Assange's Mum with Nazi slogan
3AW management has suspended John-Michael Howson from broadcasting for four weeks after he chanted a Nazi slogan at Julian Assange’s mother during the Sunday Morning program.
“We’ve told him in no uncertain terms that it was completely unacceptable behaviour and we don’t condone it in any way,” 3AW General Manager Shane Healy said.
Mr Howson has accepted the sanction and issued this apology:
"Yesterday on the Sunday Morning program we discussed the matter of Julian Assange and his decision to seek sanctuary in the embassy of Ecuador in London."
"During that discussion I made offensive comments by citing the Nazi salute.
"I unreservedly apologise for saying what I said.
"I understand that many listeners took offence to these comments and I sincerely regret having uttered them.
"I did not intend to imply that our guests or anyone shares the views of the Nazi party or seeks to control free speech.
"And I again offer my sincere apologies."
SUNDAY: 3AW Sunday Morning contributor John-Michael Howson embroiled himself in controversy yesterday when he used a Nazi slogan after Julian Assange's Mother backed out of an interview.
Christine Assange was waiting on hold while Darren James, Nick McCallum and Howson interviewed Sam Castro from the Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance regarding Ecuador's decision to grant political asylum to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
Howson called Castro a hypocrite for supporting Assange's decision to seek political asylum in Ecuador, a country Howson claims has a 'poor' human rights record.
"You people are so full of it, you make me want to spew up," Howson said.
"You support free speech yet you're going on about a country that restricts free speech," he added.
Christine Assange was put to air after Castro's interview concluded and she immediately condemned John-Michael Howson's treatment of the previous guest.
"I won't be doing an interview with you because you're acting like a pig,'' Ms Assange said.
Howson responded by screaming on air: "Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!''
Ms Assange then hung up the phone.
Howson claims he was censored by Ms. Assange because she denied him the chance to state his opinion:
"These people just want to come on air and give us their propaganda and they don't want any tough questions."
Callers were polarised on the appropriateness of his outburst, and Nick McCallum referred to John-Michael Howson as an 'equal opportunity abuser.'
LISTEN: John-Michael Howson's exchange with Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance spokesperson Sam Castro and Assange's Mother, Christine Assange
John-Michael Howson is a writer of hit stage musicals, an author, journalist and commentator who covered the international film scene for 25 years interviewing scores of top names, including those who rarely consent to interviews.
Howson is a frustrated right wing old queen. His only claim to fame is the Victor Venture ads and The Magic Circle Club. Send him back to America.M Thursday 6 September, 2012 - 12:30 AM
I have just found out that Clown from the early 70's is a shock jock in Melbourne. That is so funny. Surely he can't be taken seriously?David Thursday 30 August, 2012 - 12:34 PM
John Michael Howson is a show-pony who can dance badly and sounds like a fool. He is definitely not a person that anyone should refer to on international political debate relating to free-speech or anything intellectual. He is an old fart with a chip on his shoulder. Retire and hand your microphone over to someone with ethics and an a decent education.Leonie Tuesday 28 August, 2012 - 9:36 PM
Chris. Thats because EVERY time a green opens their mouth it,s OFFENSIVE !Darrell Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 3:44 PM
@Ursula, you obviously listen to Howson with a prejudiced mind, he IS a bombastic, self opiniated, rude and overbearing commentator who talks over his co-hosts and abuses everyone who does not agree with him. He gives no added value to Sunday Morning and I for one will boycott Sunday Morning when/if he is brought back.GIW Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 11:03 AM
Shame shame shame on 3aw, Mitchell and Hinch. John Michael is a level headed honest and wise gentleman. I won't turn on 3aw until he returnes. Who cares about Julian Assard anyway...he is a traitor and a coward. His mother isn't up to a decent debate with a person of John Michael's intellect.
Bring him Bach we love and miss him.Ursula Tuesday 21 August, 2012 - 6:46 PM