- Woman killed in Cranbourne horse fall
- Burnt body discovered along train tracks
- Man critical after one-car Hampton smash
- Geelong ruckman Dawson Simpson caught drink-driving
- Man found dead in Noble Park
- Why Oscar Pistorius is the luckiest man on earth
- Body of toddler found in creek
- Cause to be 'very, very concerned': Former security official
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
- Sue Hughes on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Such inconsiderate behaviour from so-called adults. I suspect these people have just moved in and couldn't care less about ... more
- Kathy on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... What happened to consideration and common sense mr and mrsÂ cubbins? I hope your made to pay to clean up your ... more
- Rick on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Simple solution as the neighbor who had their roller door blocked.Nissan Patrol + 4000kg snap strap.Rip it right off the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... This is crazy no one should own a lane way. Maybe in 1887 there was no lane way and it was a dirt horse trail. For once I am ... more
- Johnno on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... Solicitor's and barrister's rubbing their hands over another prolonged adverse possession case. more
- Rob Jackson on Melbourne's most controversial roller ... How ridiculous...people are so stupid. Why would you put a roller door in that spot unless you were just trying to ... more
- Peter on Does Collingwood still want Lumumba? The best thing Collingwood could do would be to get rid of this clown! Too precious and full of his own importance! more
- jgl Melb on Does Collingwood still want Lumumba? When,not if,he walks out he'll do so in an upright manner.The chip on each shoulder will take care of that. more
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
John-Michael Howson taunts Julian Assange's Mum with Nazi slogan
3AW management has suspended John-Michael Howson from broadcasting for four weeks after he chanted a Nazi slogan at Julian Assange’s mother during the Sunday Morning program.
“We’ve told him in no uncertain terms that it was completely unacceptable behaviour and we don’t condone it in any way,” 3AW General Manager Shane Healy said.
Mr Howson has accepted the sanction and issued this apology:
"Yesterday on the Sunday Morning program we discussed the matter of Julian Assange and his decision to seek sanctuary in the embassy of Ecuador in London."
"During that discussion I made offensive comments by citing the Nazi salute.
"I unreservedly apologise for saying what I said.
"I understand that many listeners took offence to these comments and I sincerely regret having uttered them.
"I did not intend to imply that our guests or anyone shares the views of the Nazi party or seeks to control free speech.
"And I again offer my sincere apologies."
SUNDAY: 3AW Sunday Morning contributor John-Michael Howson embroiled himself in controversy yesterday when he used a Nazi slogan after Julian Assange's Mother backed out of an interview.
Christine Assange was waiting on hold while Darren James, Nick McCallum and Howson interviewed Sam Castro from the Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance regarding Ecuador's decision to grant political asylum to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
Howson called Castro a hypocrite for supporting Assange's decision to seek political asylum in Ecuador, a country Howson claims has a 'poor' human rights record.
"You people are so full of it, you make me want to spew up," Howson said.
"You support free speech yet you're going on about a country that restricts free speech," he added.
Christine Assange was put to air after Castro's interview concluded and she immediately condemned John-Michael Howson's treatment of the previous guest.
"I won't be doing an interview with you because you're acting like a pig,'' Ms Assange said.
Howson responded by screaming on air: "Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!''
Ms Assange then hung up the phone.
Howson claims he was censored by Ms. Assange because she denied him the chance to state his opinion:
"These people just want to come on air and give us their propaganda and they don't want any tough questions."
Callers were polarised on the appropriateness of his outburst, and Nick McCallum referred to John-Michael Howson as an 'equal opportunity abuser.'
LISTEN: John-Michael Howson's exchange with Wikileaks Australian Citizens Alliance spokesperson Sam Castro and Assange's Mother, Christine Assange
John-Michael Howson is a writer of hit stage musicals, an author, journalist and commentator who covered the international film scene for 25 years interviewing scores of top names, including those who rarely consent to interviews.
Howson is a frustrated right wing old queen. His only claim to fame is the Victor Venture ads and The Magic Circle Club. Send him back to America.M Thursday 6 September, 2012 - 12:30 AM
I have just found out that Clown from the early 70's is a shock jock in Melbourne. That is so funny. Surely he can't be taken seriously?David Thursday 30 August, 2012 - 12:34 PM
John Michael Howson is a show-pony who can dance badly and sounds like a fool. He is definitely not a person that anyone should refer to on international political debate relating to free-speech or anything intellectual. He is an old fart with a chip on his shoulder. Retire and hand your microphone over to someone with ethics and an a decent education.Leonie Tuesday 28 August, 2012 - 9:36 PM
Chris. Thats because EVERY time a green opens their mouth it,s OFFENSIVE !Darrell Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 3:44 PM
@Ursula, you obviously listen to Howson with a prejudiced mind, he IS a bombastic, self opiniated, rude and overbearing commentator who talks over his co-hosts and abuses everyone who does not agree with him. He gives no added value to Sunday Morning and I for one will boycott Sunday Morning when/if he is brought back.GIW Wednesday 22 August, 2012 - 11:03 AM
Shame shame shame on 3aw, Mitchell and Hinch. John Michael is a level headed honest and wise gentleman. I won't turn on 3aw until he returnes. Who cares about Julian Assard anyway...he is a traitor and a coward. His mother isn't up to a decent debate with a person of John Michael's intellect.
Bring him Bach we love and miss him.Ursula Tuesday 21 August, 2012 - 6:46 PM