- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Reward offered for information on Grandmother's murder
- Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad
- 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': Puneet
- Victoria shivers through coldest December day in seven years
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Simon on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just part of the legacy of Steve Bracks! I miss being able to ride a tram occasionally but its too damn difficult. I hope ... more
- Carole Campisano on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Puneet is only concerned about his own welfare right now,it's all about him.He hasn't considered the poor victim's ... more
- jason on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 A great man who can now rest in peace. As for Mylene, you really are a weird miserable thing. more
- jason on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Another ripper Labor project which was estimated at $400,000 yet turned out to be the world's most expensive ticketing sytem ... more
- Christine on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... I totally agree with Trent's comments. This person has a nerve carrying on about how he thinks he will be treated, when he ... more
- Lukew on Myki confusion forces closure of ... I am not surprised. Myki confusion is reducing the number of people using public transport, especially casual users and ... more
- Gloss on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 You must all know by now that mylene never misses an opportunity to slag off at Tony and the Libs. Yes a true lefty with a ... more
- Steve on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This gutless coward will be treated for what he is a hit and run driver and when there is a fatality he deserves to do time ... more
- Mark on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Oh Mylene - what a cuddly witty little lefty you are. Your lack of decency and judgement knows no boundaries. more
- trent on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... He won't be treated as a terrorist. He'll be treated as what he is - a coward and a reckless, worthless, uncaring killer. more
- Craig on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This man needs to take responsibility and face what he did... more
- JamesD on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Just watched Mitchell's interview with Nelson - have to say I was surprised he was chosen to do it but he performed well more
- William Griffin on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene never let a solemn moment like the death of Nelson Mandela to say something silly. The people have spoken wether we ... more
- William Griffin on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What you do you not get Puneet you pleaded guilty to a crime now you are to be held to account you scream I am be treated ... more
- mylene on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Ironic we hear about the death of guy who united South Africa while Neil 'interviews' the man who's divided Australia. ;) more
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
Judges to counsel victims?
UPDATE: The Chief Justice Of Victoria has suggested judges and victims of crime should be given the opportunity to "debrief" after a sentence is handed down.
The suggestion follows the release of a Sentencing Advisory Council survey of 1,200 people.
It found many Victorians believe judges are out of touch and that just over a quarter were satisfied with the decisions courts made.
Chief Justice Marilyn Warren says judges are in touch with community thinking but says she understsands victims' frustrations.
She also said the state's courts must take to social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, to better explain itself to the public.
Sentencing Advisory Council Chair, Professor Ari Frieberg, says the survey looks at public perceptions about sentencing rather than the actual performance of the judges.
FULL STATS: Latest statistics suggest overall crime in Victoria has reduced slightly, but there's been increase in in rape and assault, but a 26% decrease in homicide. Listen to Ken Lay here and have your say.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Marg. Daly and her husband have my heartfelt sympathy. It seems that magistrates and judges are least likely to have ever been victimised, let alone seen inappropriate - or no penalty for atonement offered by the justice system. Powerlessness experienced by victims is humiliating and degrading, something with which the learned judge is unlikely to identify. Commonsense is the ingredient missing in the 'education' of the judiciary.Jo Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 12:48 PM
MAKE TIME FOR A VICTIM OF CRIME
I can not stop thinking about that poor 91 years old lady and I thought I would let you know what happened to us. I hope she gets some support from the government because we got none.
Unprovoked attack that my husband and I sustained in the Racecourse Estate Park on the night of 13 January 2006, by 9 youths we were aged 56 and 57 at the tome.
It has been five terrifying years for us we have had to pass the spot everyday where My husband was king hit in the back of his neck, I was knocked unconscious and when I came around, I was slapped repeatedly and knocked to the ground again, then I was kicked many times as you will see from the attached photo's. When I got to my feet again it was to see my husband lying unconscious on the ground with six youth's repeatedly kicking him as if in a feed frenzy they could not have cared if he was alive or dead. To get off the estate we have to pass the house of the youth that attacked me.
My husband has never been rights since this attack and he his suffering with service progressing cognitive deficits and requires 24/7 care,.
The youths were never charged.
Kind Regards Margaret Dalymarg daly Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 10:55 AM
My own experience with the courts is that all lawyers and solicitors are self serving morons. Any idiot can learn the law. The real trick is how to manipulate it to suit your needs.Richard Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:25 PM
r u serious?this is rediculous,you can honestly not expect people to go for this,next u will be suggesting gabby get along and a gentlemans handshake between the victoms and the perpertraitor,wake up to your selfskylie Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:05 PM
This sounds all too familiar, it is the spin doctors at work again trying to calm the community. As one who sees the destruction that crimes have on our community daily, and one who has voiced their concern on many occasions, I find it another slap in the fact to victims, survivors, advocates & the community as a whole. Wee are not all Stupid, Ignorant or NaÃ?Â¯ve.Bree Advocate Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 4:39 PM
Now come on people, let's GET REAL~! As soon as governments spend money on programs to entertain, control or rehabilitate prisoners, you jump on your keyboards to bitch & moan~! Prisons cost money to run & they don't win votes. Realistically, the Judiciary are the meat in the sandwiche, & they can't win, irrespective of sentences delivered. Damned if they do, & damned if they don't~! We can't even get Ted to spend 50mil on an ICC (another undelivered promise), let alone more dollars to build prisons~!Lenny Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 1:34 PM