- VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick Samantha
- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Geoff on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... With society up to its boots in politics and living in its own little world, this is what is really important. While we ... more
- Jennifer Williams on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I think that puppy knows she is there for a very special reason. Four tissues later and I'm still going. Such a sad story, ... more
- LisaJ on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Well done Neil and 3AW. Such a nice story after yesterdays news. more
- Helen on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I'm sure Pixie will bring a lot of joy to Samantha, Ashley and the family at this difficult time for them all.Kind thoughts ... more
- andy on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... hope young pixie gives samantha a distaction from the other things going onthe 3 aw community has restored my faith in ... more
- carol on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Driving while crying! kept looking across to see if I was not the only one, then a guy rang in and said he was doing exactly ... more
- paul on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Hi Neil I've just watched the video of pixie being delivered. I have tears rolling you are a legend!!! Christmas WISHES to ... more
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
Judges to counsel victims?
UPDATE: The Chief Justice Of Victoria has suggested judges and victims of crime should be given the opportunity to "debrief" after a sentence is handed down.
The suggestion follows the release of a Sentencing Advisory Council survey of 1,200 people.
It found many Victorians believe judges are out of touch and that just over a quarter were satisfied with the decisions courts made.
Chief Justice Marilyn Warren says judges are in touch with community thinking but says she understsands victims' frustrations.
She also said the state's courts must take to social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, to better explain itself to the public.
Sentencing Advisory Council Chair, Professor Ari Frieberg, says the survey looks at public perceptions about sentencing rather than the actual performance of the judges.
FULL STATS: Latest statistics suggest overall crime in Victoria has reduced slightly, but there's been increase in in rape and assault, but a 26% decrease in homicide. Listen to Ken Lay here and have your say.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Marg. Daly and her husband have my heartfelt sympathy. It seems that magistrates and judges are least likely to have ever been victimised, let alone seen inappropriate - or no penalty for atonement offered by the justice system. Powerlessness experienced by victims is humiliating and degrading, something with which the learned judge is unlikely to identify. Commonsense is the ingredient missing in the 'education' of the judiciary.Jo Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 12:48 PM
MAKE TIME FOR A VICTIM OF CRIME
I can not stop thinking about that poor 91 years old lady and I thought I would let you know what happened to us. I hope she gets some support from the government because we got none.
Unprovoked attack that my husband and I sustained in the Racecourse Estate Park on the night of 13 January 2006, by 9 youths we were aged 56 and 57 at the tome.
It has been five terrifying years for us we have had to pass the spot everyday where My husband was king hit in the back of his neck, I was knocked unconscious and when I came around, I was slapped repeatedly and knocked to the ground again, then I was kicked many times as you will see from the attached photo's. When I got to my feet again it was to see my husband lying unconscious on the ground with six youth's repeatedly kicking him as if in a feed frenzy they could not have cared if he was alive or dead. To get off the estate we have to pass the house of the youth that attacked me.
My husband has never been rights since this attack and he his suffering with service progressing cognitive deficits and requires 24/7 care,.
The youths were never charged.
Kind Regards Margaret Dalymarg daly Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 10:55 AM
My own experience with the courts is that all lawyers and solicitors are self serving morons. Any idiot can learn the law. The real trick is how to manipulate it to suit your needs.Richard Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:25 PM
r u serious?this is rediculous,you can honestly not expect people to go for this,next u will be suggesting gabby get along and a gentlemans handshake between the victoms and the perpertraitor,wake up to your selfskylie Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:05 PM
This sounds all too familiar, it is the spin doctors at work again trying to calm the community. As one who sees the destruction that crimes have on our community daily, and one who has voiced their concern on many occasions, I find it another slap in the fact to victims, survivors, advocates & the community as a whole. Wee are not all Stupid, Ignorant or NaÃ?Â¯ve.Bree Advocate Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 4:39 PM
Now come on people, let's GET REAL~! As soon as governments spend money on programs to entertain, control or rehabilitate prisoners, you jump on your keyboards to bitch & moan~! Prisons cost money to run & they don't win votes. Realistically, the Judiciary are the meat in the sandwiche, & they can't win, irrespective of sentences delivered. Damned if they do, & damned if they don't~! We can't even get Ted to spend 50mil on an ICC (another undelivered promise), let alone more dollars to build prisons~!Lenny Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 1:34 PM