- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Judges to counsel victims?
UPDATE: The Chief Justice Of Victoria has suggested judges and victims of crime should be given the opportunity to "debrief" after a sentence is handed down.
The suggestion follows the release of a Sentencing Advisory Council survey of 1,200 people.
It found many Victorians believe judges are out of touch and that just over a quarter were satisfied with the decisions courts made.
Chief Justice Marilyn Warren says judges are in touch with community thinking but says she understsands victims' frustrations.
She also said the state's courts must take to social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, to better explain itself to the public.
Sentencing Advisory Council Chair, Professor Ari Frieberg, says the survey looks at public perceptions about sentencing rather than the actual performance of the judges.
FULL STATS: Latest statistics suggest overall crime in Victoria has reduced slightly, but there's been increase in in rape and assault, but a 26% decrease in homicide. Listen to Ken Lay here and have your say.
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
Marg. Daly and her husband have my heartfelt sympathy. It seems that magistrates and judges are least likely to have ever been victimised, let alone seen inappropriate - or no penalty for atonement offered by the justice system. Powerlessness experienced by victims is humiliating and degrading, something with which the learned judge is unlikely to identify. Commonsense is the ingredient missing in the 'education' of the judiciary.Jo Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 12:48 PM
MAKE TIME FOR A VICTIM OF CRIME
I can not stop thinking about that poor 91 years old lady and I thought I would let you know what happened to us. I hope she gets some support from the government because we got none.
Unprovoked attack that my husband and I sustained in the Racecourse Estate Park on the night of 13 January 2006, by 9 youths we were aged 56 and 57 at the tome.
It has been five terrifying years for us we have had to pass the spot everyday where My husband was king hit in the back of his neck, I was knocked unconscious and when I came around, I was slapped repeatedly and knocked to the ground again, then I was kicked many times as you will see from the attached photo's. When I got to my feet again it was to see my husband lying unconscious on the ground with six youth's repeatedly kicking him as if in a feed frenzy they could not have cared if he was alive or dead. To get off the estate we have to pass the house of the youth that attacked me.
My husband has never been rights since this attack and he his suffering with service progressing cognitive deficits and requires 24/7 care,.
The youths were never charged.
Kind Regards Margaret Dalymarg daly Tuesday 20 September, 2011 - 10:55 AM
My own experience with the courts is that all lawyers and solicitors are self serving morons. Any idiot can learn the law. The real trick is how to manipulate it to suit your needs.Richard Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:25 PM
r u serious?this is rediculous,you can honestly not expect people to go for this,next u will be suggesting gabby get along and a gentlemans handshake between the victoms and the perpertraitor,wake up to your selfskylie Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 5:05 PM
This sounds all too familiar, it is the spin doctors at work again trying to calm the community. As one who sees the destruction that crimes have on our community daily, and one who has voiced their concern on many occasions, I find it another slap in the fact to victims, survivors, advocates & the community as a whole. Wee are not all Stupid, Ignorant or NaÃ?Â¯ve.Bree Advocate Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 4:39 PM
Now come on people, let's GET REAL~! As soon as governments spend money on programs to entertain, control or rehabilitate prisoners, you jump on your keyboards to bitch & moan~! Prisons cost money to run & they don't win votes. Realistically, the Judiciary are the meat in the sandwiche, & they can't win, irrespective of sentences delivered. Damned if they do, & damned if they don't~! We can't even get Ted to spend 50mil on an ICC (another undelivered promise), let alone more dollars to build prisons~!Lenny Thursday 1 September, 2011 - 1:34 PM