- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Ken Lay accepts the top job
UPDATE: The Police Association says it is very comfortable with Ken Lay's appointment as the new Police Commissioner in Victoria.
The association's Greg Davies says Mr Lay is a straight-down-the-line man.
The new chief is a former member of the Liberal party but Mr Davies says he must steer clear of the political unrest that has plagued the post in recent years.
Chief Commissioner Lay says he is looking forward to challenge of leading the force over the next five years.
*Scroll down for an interview with Ken Lay on 3AW Drive*
- Police Minister Peter Ryan says Ken Lay's handling of the Occupy Melbourne protesters showed he has the respect of his force.
- Opposition leader Daniel Andrews hopes he receives more support from the Baillieu government than his predecessor.
- Ken Lay says reducing assaults and reducing organised crime, fraud, e-crime and illicit drugs will be his major focuses.
- Premier Ted Baillieu says one of Ken Lay's first jobs will be to bring stability to the force in the wake of Simon Overland's controversial resignation.
- Mr Baillieu says Mr Lay beat 16 other applicants for the job.
BELOW: Back in September, Ken Lay explained on the Neil Mitchell program why he was going for the job.
PLAY: Neil Mitchell summarises Lay's appointment
Neil is one of Australia’s most experienced journalists with success in newspapers, radio and television. He was one of the youngest editors of a daily metropolitan newspaper, The Herald. Enter Neil's highlights page for videos. replays and news.
KEN LAY'S SAY: Neil Mitchell came out firing against the Occupy Melbourne protesters this morning, revealing that one of the main organisers of the movement, Jake Wishart, works for Greens MP Adam Bandt. This is the story that Police Minister Peter Ryan earned Ken Lay the respect from rank and file officers.
You clearly have no idea J KNIGHT. Ken Lay won't go for dinner when Victoria is burning.The Cynic Monday 16 January, 2012 - 9:48 AM
God help us. Gone from bad to worse. Hasnt seen or been in contact with a angry man for at least 20yrs. Just another paper jockey, member of the boys club.J KNIGHT Sunday 15 January, 2012 - 8:47 PM
It is good to see a decision finally made on this, although I am not sure Mr. Lay is the best choice. Although many could argue that Vic needed new blood, it is clear that did not happen with Nixon and Overland. So let's see he Mr. Lay performs. Hopefully he won't be caught speeding anymore!
Now Mr. Premier, why not start fixing up the VPS senior executive service, especially as contracts come up for review. DON'T RENEW the Labor-appointed bunglers. How did the senior executive VPS ever become so inbred with such a pathetic gene pool bereft of talent, vision and ethics.
So please clean out some of the other public sector bunglers, starting from the top with Hi Ho Silver Away at Premier and Cabinet. Her performance is like death warmed up. She most definitely personifies Newton's First Law - Inertia.
Work your way across the other Labor-appointed bunglers and don't stop until you are inside DSE's top echelon amongst others, and replace the Land Victoria IT contract bunglers including the mumbling technology challenged ED, the bumbling Surveyor General and the big-spending policy-failure DSE CIO - all of these preachers of spatial IT bungles that keep industry mates ever so happy.
Mr. Premier please recruit talented, ethical, committed executives. Do not follow Labor's example of setting a low standard and then recruiting even lower.TF of LV Friday 18 November, 2011 - 2:07 AM
Mike, It is with great shame that I announce I once received a speeding fine too for travelling 7 kms over the limit. Should I resign?
Labor's ridiculous FOI requests are becoming boring. You lost the last election for a reason...soft on crime and hiring Nixon and Overland. Labor seem to be the only ones disappointed with Ken Lay getting the job.grumpy old man Tuesday 15 November, 2011 - 10:03 PM
Totally agree with you Dazza; in the '60's I was a bit of a "naughty boy" as a teenager and had a look at the "Coppers" from the other side. At that time we would see what we could get away with, but at all times we respected their authority and power. I reckon Ken Lay has the balls and the support to help us get back to a respectful and law-abiding society.David Tuesday 15 November, 2011 - 6:09 PM
In the early 50 s , my grandfather was a copper. The respect was there, firm but fair, looked upon from the community of the ones we can trust and rely upon. The new Chief Commisioner Of Victoria Police Ken Lay...You are the right person sir, please do your best and Bring Victoria Police back to where they should be. My Grandfather would be proud to serve as he was many years back...Dazza Tuesday 15 November, 2011 - 5:03 PM