- Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer
- Multi-car crash on Princes Highway
- Siege at Barwon Prison
- Dramatic resuce after Port Phillip boat collision
- Clive Palmer spits the dummy
- Body found in burning car
- No costings, but Dan's the man in tight debate
- Milne welcome back at St Kilda
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
- Jester4212 on New-age helmet design Is this the answer to more accountable cyclists? No. This will make it more dangerous for cyclists. You can guarantee ... more
- Lynne on New-age helmet design Hi Neil,I think this is a great idea not just for riders but other road and footpath users too! All too often as a ... more
- Colin Lacivita on New-age helmet design Good Idea especially with the rego on the back.I wish I thought of it. more
- Gabriel on New-age helmet design This looks ridiculous. And that clear visor looks like it could end up lodged in your eyes. more
- Miracle Rescue on Miracle rescue for trapped man Separate trucks and cars more
- Stephen on Miracle rescue for trapped man Surprised this doesn't happen more often to be honest. BRAKING DISTANCE between vehicles is just not observed by Melbourne ... more
- jgl Melb on Balme returns to Pies How much compensation will this cost Ed ? more
- Jester4212 on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead And what about the pain the animal had to endure up until this point? more
- Sinbad on Two Melbourne Cup horses dead People collapse and die in marathons on a fairly frequent basis and we don't hear the outcry, wringing of hands, tears and ... more
- bushiepete on 78yo spends 2 hours having spasms on ... yes there were a lot of happy people who had drugs, grog,to much fun time and need to be baby sat by the police and ambos.. ... more
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
'Kentucky Fried' Julia Gillard menu a 'private joke': creator
CONTENT WARNING: This article contains language which some people may find offensive
The owner of the restaurant where the fundraising function for Liberal National Party candidate Mal Brough was held, now made infamous for the 'Moroccan Quail' denigrating the Prime Minister, says he created the menu as a 'private joke'.
Liberal National Party candidate Mal Brough condemned the menu which offensively mocked the Prime Minister.
Under the item ‘Moroccan Quail’, the menu reads: ‘Julia Gillard Kentucky Fried Quail - Small Breasts, Huge Thighs & A Big Red Box'.
Mr Brough said the menu was made by a person who was not a party member who was now 'deeply apologetic'.
Joe Richards, owner of Richards and Richards restaurant where the $1000-a-head function was held said none of the menus were distributed on the tables or in the restaurant.
"I created a mock menu myself as a light-hearted joke, however as I said I never produced them for public distribution," Mr Richard's letter, released by the Liberal National party, said.
"It is so unfortunate that an in-house joke between myself and my son has caused you great problems and embarrassment."
Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott joined Mr Brough's condemnations, saying: "I think that we should all be bigger and better than that."
"Whether it's a tacky, scattilogical menu out of the front of a Liberal Party event; Whether it's squalid jokes told at union conference dinners with ministers present.
"Whatever it is, I think we should be better than that."
Earlier, Neil Mitchell said if the ‘offensive’ and ‘absurd’ menu was proven to have been used at a Liberal Party function, the party needed to act immediately.
“If it has anything to do with the Liberal Party, they need to deal with the people who did it and they need to issue a full, immediate, abject apology,” he said.
“We don't need an election campaign diverted by gender wars with that sort of nonsense.
“Or for that matter, the Prime Minister going on about women being discriminated against.”
The measure of a robust democracy is how well the citizens and their leaders can have a laugh at themselves without fear of recrimination.
The thought police are so distracting and threatening.
Lighten up and focus on things that really matter, such as the future of the country.Solomons' Sword Saturday 15 June, 2013 - 5:45 PM
Julia Gillard is going to be remembered as the biggest joke, I wish she would stop with the bullshit. I work with a lot of lady at work and they say I wish she would shut up. please PM make this a clean election, I hope you get the message at the election, we hate YOU. we need more women like Gail Kelly from Wespac NOW theres a PM who we could trusted.steve Friday 14 June, 2013 - 8:43 PM
The fact that this is looked at as a joke shows me what a warped sense of humour these guys have and have not really grown up I would expect this from maybe school age kids but this is grown men who should know better. I am not a julia backer I just feel that this form of humour is degrading whether it be pointed towards males or females Grow up guysP.O. Friday 14 June, 2013 - 11:40 AM
So Steve...why do you want to upset the feminist Labor voters? Do they not have a righ to a voice when they feel injustices are being committed?Leisha Young Friday 14 June, 2013 - 8:43 AM
Ahhh yes, just another example of how provincial and backward Australia appears to the rest of the world and the usual bunch of misogynists (male and female), defending it.Leisha Young Friday 14 June, 2013 - 8:37 AM
The action of these people making jokes or derogatory comments of PM in menus,verbal or other are those small thinkers and un-achievers. Totally un professional and menial mentalities I certainly would not use their services let alone forward my vote to let them run this Country. Big thinkers just do not engage in this mediocre behaviour.Small people indeed.Dominic Friday 14 June, 2013 - 5:22 AM